• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
ACP

Limited Format Discussion

414 posts in this topic

[spoiler][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/MasterSimon/SealedPool.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

What would you do with this?

I'd probably have gone UG. Black has a few cool cards that I'd love to have, but it's just too thin. White is virtually nonexistent. Red looks pretty full, but most of its cards are mediocre. Blue is an obvious play because nearly all the cards you have for it are playable and good. Green pairs well with the cards you have.

Creatures:
1 Soul Seizer
1 Relentless Skaab
1 Moon Heron
1 Stormbound Geist
1 Armored Skaab
2 Screeching Skaab
1 Deranged Assistant
1 Mindshrieker
1 Ghoultree
1 Village Suvivors
1 Somberwald Spider
1 Ulvenwald Mystics
2 Kessig Recluse
1 Boneyard Wurm
1 Dawntreader Elk
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim

Non-Creatures:
1 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Silent Departure
1 Tracker's Instincts
1 Mulch
1 Blazing Torch

Lands:
8 Island
8 Forest
1 Swamp

You get a nice UG Tempo/Aggro sort of deck going. Plenty of creatures to fuel Tracker's Instincts, Boneyard Wurm, and Ghoultree. Several nice ways to mill creatures. You don't have much removal but you've got lots of evasion guys and at least one Silent Departure. If you really wanted to go aggro more you could probably cut a land and Somberwald Spider to throw in Young Wolfs, but I wouldn't do it.

Just my take on it.

It's a bit late, but just an FYI that MTGO has 7-tix Cube draft events up this weekend only. They'll go down in ~24 hours from now.

7 tix to enter, you don't get any of the cards, but they're regular 8-4, 4-3-2-2, and Swiss events. The 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 are SUPER EV.

And they're SO FUN.

[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1333854036' post='3148565']
It's a bit late, but just an FYI that MTGO has 7-tix Cube draft events up this weekend only. They'll go down in ~24 hours from now.

7 tix to enter, you don't get any of the cards, but they're regular 8-4, 4-3-2-2, and Swiss events. The 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 are SUPER EV.

And they're SO FUN.
[/quote]
Super EV? You do realize it's negative?

Super EV for a draft, I mean. Normal drafts are just complete shit, and this is half the cost. If you're decent at the format you're almost always going to break even, especially since a lot of people drafting it just have no idea what they're doing.

[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1333868649' post='3148750']
Super EV for a draft, I mean. Normal drafts are just complete shit, and this is half the cost. If you're decent at the format you're almost always going to break even, especially since a lot of people drafting it just have no idea what they're doing.
[/quote]
Yeah agreed, just saying it's still negative overall.

This format is a little tricky for me because I don't know a lot of the older cards. 2-1'd my first one.

It's sad that its gonna be gone after today

[quote name='argh' timestamp='1333901631' post='3148942']
It's sad that its gonna be gone after today
[/quote]

Rumor has it they're gonna bring it back, but with a 12 tix entry fee. And I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I spent 14 tix out of pocket on these drafts and I've got like 40 now ~_~

So I 4-0ed an AVR prerelease event with WR Humans that could side into WU Flicker.

Currently in one of the swiss sealed events. Running RW Angels with lots of lifelink, evasion, and ATK pumping.
And round 2 I faced Malignus and infinite Thunder Bolts...and his own foil Gisela, Blade of Goldnight...

So what does everyone else think of AVR limited? I haven't tried draft, but I enjoy sealed.
I basically just play limited on MTGO since I'm to the point where I'm playing with house money (keep winning packs and don't need any more TIX for constructed decks).

AVR limited is basically a bunch of good cards and a bunch of unplayables with not a lot in between.

I've drafted about 20 times so far and in my experiences, U/G soulbond is by far the best archetype, followed by B/x control and R/W humans.

U/G just has a lot of the most powerful cards in the format in common and uncommon and tons of synergy between the soulbond creatures.

B/x is very difficult draft because you want to be nearly mono black and it's almost essential to draft a Homicidal Seclusion which is uncommon. If you can get the deck together, it's hard to beat.

W/R humans is way overdrafted. While B/x requires a single uncommon, W/R requires multiple commons. The plan is to go all in on aggression and it's fairly important to draft a Thatcher's Revolt package to put you over the top.

That's a summary of my thoughts on the format.

read a pretty good article: [url="http://puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-avacyn-restored-limited-overview"]http://puremtgo.com/...imited-overview[/url]
I would not want to be black at all if I was drafting. It would seem like some of the best black removal is easy to splash and will easily get taken up by someone else.
Even in sealed I'm so underwhelm by black, it has such little synergy with the other colors. I'd need to have good removal and something like Dark Imposter to go black.

Homocidal Seclusion and Death Wind are nuts. I would splash black if they get passed to me.

Not a fan of AVR limited, everything is too straight forward, not enough variety like DII.

Black is awful but Seclusion is so good that it single-handedly makes black one of the top archetypes

man UG is so powerful in AVR limited.
Still pretty much exlusivly playing sealed...I wish for once the majority of my rares were not Black/Alchemists's refuge.
Thankfully though green has been so good me the commons and uncommons are smashing face. :)
Pulled an Avacyn this time. :D

I drafted U/G in AVR today.

P1P5, I had to choose between Homicidal Seclusion or Wingcrafter, so I took the Seclusion.

I ended up also getting 2 Abundant Growths, so I only had to play 1 swamp in the deck. Everyone in the store laughed at me and told me I shouldn't of splashed it because Seclusion was a mediocre card :(

[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1339637696' post='3208111']

P1P5, I had to choose between Homicidal Seclusion or Wingcrafter, so I took the Seclusion.

I ended up also getting 2 Abundant Growths, so I only had to play 1 swamp in the deck. Everyone in the store laughed at me and told me I shouldn't of splashed it because Seclusion was a mediocre card :(
[/quote]
I don't think you should splash it in U/G... it has no synergy at all with the rest of the archetype.

Wingcrafter def seems like the pick there, How'd that play out for you?
I can't really imagine doing it in UG, but I could Imagine it in UW.
Most of the time, if you splash black, it should be for Death Wind, Bone Splinters, and possibly Ghoulflesh, not Seclusion.

[quote name='Turkey' timestamp='1339641569' post='3208159']
[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1339637696' post='3208111']

[/quote]
I don't think you should splash it in U/G... it has no synergy at all with the rest of the archetype.
[/quote]
It makes for interesting combat interactions. I had 2 guys on the field, and he had to take both attacks because if he traded with one, he'd have to deal with a large flying lifelinker.

I lost in the first round of the 8-4 because of double Necrobite and I couldn't deal with Stonewright + Hound of Griselbrand using Essence Harvest. My deck had a lot of tempo, but no real removal and no game winning bombs. I didn't see Ulvenwald Tracker in all 3 games. G1 I tempo'd him, G2 I drew all 6 islands with no forests, and G3 started off well until I kept drawing lands while he kept drawing creatures. Drew Peels + Mist Ravens very late, by then he already had 4-5 guys on the field. :/

The guy who won played G/B and had Behemoth, Harvester, 2 Forcemages, 2 Bears. Me and the other third green drafter saw no soulbond guys at all. Green/Blue was definitely open for me though, UG is just so average without threats.

what did your deck look like?

some opinions i have on UG:

Not in pick-order.

Blue Commons/Uncommons: Fleeting Distraction, Wingcrafter, Spectral Prison, Crippling Chill, Latch Seeker, Scrapskin Drake, Tandem Lookout, Elgaud Shieldmate, Into the Void, Mist Raven, Gryff Vanguard, Vanishment.

Green Commons/Uncommons: Joint Assault, Nightshade Peddler, Timberland Guide, Wandering Wolf, Gloomwidow, Trusted Forcemage, Wolfir Avenger, Druid's Familiar, Flowering Lumberknot, Nettle Swine, Blessings of Nature, Howlgeist, Wildwood Geist, Pathbreaker Wurm, Vorstclaw

Artifacts: Bladed Bracers, Angelic Armaments, Angel's Tomb

Main thing is using Wingfrafter to make your fatties get evasion and/or the Trusted Forcemage type cards with your evasive creatures to hit harder.

Grippling Chill, Mist Raven, and Into the Void make for the best tempo plays in UG. Peel from Reality works for WU or UB, but UG doesn't really want to return it's own guys. Use Elgaud Shieldmate or side in Sheltering Word to save you guys from removal when relevant.

Bower Passage is interesting sideboard tech that can make your flyers totally unblockable and give you an edge against UW decks that tend to pack a ton.

If you have a lower curve Yew Spirit is okay, but I like the other fatties better if you have more than a couple. Yew Spirit is better off in RG where the curve is generally going to be lower.

If you've picked up something to splash Borderland Ranger, Abundant Growth can be picked up, otherwise there are plenty of other three drops to go after and Fleeting Distraction is just as good a cycle/2-for-1 as Abundant Growth. I also like Lair Delve, but not sure if I'm just getting lucky with it.

13 Creature
2 Mist Raven
1 Gryff Vanguard
1 Alchemist's Apprentice
1 Scrapskin Drake
2 Wolfir Avenger
1 Geist Trappers
1 Howlgeist
1 Nettle Swine
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Timberland Guide
1 Vorstclaw

4 Instant
2 Peel from Reality
1 Vanishment
1 Fleeting Distraction

2 Sorcery
1 Amass the Components
1 Blessings of Nature

4 Enchantment
2 Abundant Growth
1 Triumph of Ferocity
1 Homicidal Seclusion

17 Lands
10 Forest
6 Island
1 Swamp

My only issue besides not really having an "I win" card was my low creature count. But I ran 3 cantrips so idk.

The only questionable picks I made were Homicidal over Wingcrafter and Triumph of Ferocity over Wandering Wolf.

Stuff I did not see at all:

Crippling Chill, Latch Seeker, Tandem Lookout, Elgaud Shieldmate, Into the Void, Gloomwidow, Trusted Forcemage, Druid's Familiar, Pathbreaker Wurm

I think I tabled like 3 Lumberknots lol. And Howlgeist is overrated as shit. It's not that much better than the 4/1 red undying guy from DKA.

That's a really really low creature count. The curve doesn't look all the great either. I think Wingcrafter and Wandering Wolf would have defiantly helped with both issues.

I'm not sure what kind of White you saw going around the table, but both your blue and your green would have paired more nicely with White. UG is supposed to be an aggressive tempo deck. W gives U more time to use durdly cards like Amass the Components and has cooler interactions with Peel from Reality. GW is like UG, but with flyers that help give you more staying power so it doesn't have to be so aggressive. The U flyers are good for tempo, W flyers are good for stabilizing.

There were three white players in my table. Guess who was sitting between two of them? :D

The guy to my left started off white/black (I passed him Foil Gloom Surgeon and that 3/5 black rare in pack 1), but he eventually gave up on white in pack 2, when he found out the guy to his left was also going white and the guy to my right was white. So he was kinda screwed that entire draft, and ended up with a shitty B/R deck.

The white drafter to my right had 4 Seraph of Dawns, 2 Nearheath Pilgrims, 2 Emancipation Angels, Angel's to Glory Rise in his deck...He told me in pack 3 he got passed three of the Seraphs in picks 2, 3, and 4 lol. So because of that, I got Vanishment, Wolfir, and Blessings of Nature passed from him.

Sealed is even worse lol. I can't stand sealed in any card game. What makes it even worse at premier events is that you open your 6 packs, write down the shit you open, it gets collected and given to someone else. Very heartbreaking when you open up like 4 limited bombs and you can't use them. And then the cards that are given to you are a pile of crap. This wasn't MTG though, it was another TCG. I would imagine a Grand Prix would do the same or something.