ACP

Limited Format Discussion

MasterSimon    58
Only time I played sealed IRL we didn't even have to record our pools. I'm sure that is a bug hassle. I also was very new to MTG then and lost horribly.
Now I can constantly 3-1 sealed 4 rds on MTGO, but can't seem to Top 8 a PE. Still get some packs for my troubles though.
I haven't attempted a draft in a while..might try it if I 2-2 instead of 3-1 or better this 4d. David Ochoa is in the sealed...

EDIT 1: Bad pool, not as many creatures as I'd like, but Rd1 bye...
I should probably be going UW, but my only real Bomb is Revenge of the Hunted so went UG midrange...this should be terrible. :P

EDIT 2: Yep I have won zero games with the UG midrange version, UW version actually has the ability to win something! :O
I've never played a green deck in AVR limited where Revenge of the Hunted didn't immediately kill my opponent. -.-

EDIT 3: Okay managed to go 2-2 3 packs means I'm drafting tomorrow! :D
Really bad pool was bad, let's see my draft skills are any better. :O

Azn_Boy    385
2x Mist Raven
2x Tandem Lookout
2x Wingcrafter
2x Alchemist's Apprentice
1x Stern Mentor
1x Scrapskin Drake
1x Gryff Vanguard
1x Galvanic Alchemist
1x Lone Revenant
1x Amass the Components
1x Peel from Reality
1x Vanishment
1x Spirit Away
1x Moonlight Geist
1x Herald of War
1x Moorland Inquisitor
1x Seraph of Dawn
1x Banishing Stroke
1x Righteous Blow
12x Island
5x Plains

Sideboard:
1x Crippling Chill
1x Spectral Prison
1x Stern Mentor
1x Scrapskin Drake
1x Mass Appeal
2x Fleeting Distraction
1x Amass the Components
1x Devout Chaplain
1x Voice of Provinces
1x Angelic Armaments
1x Tormentor's Trident
1x Zealous Conscripts
1x Thunderous Wrath
1x Borderland Ranger
2x Scalding Devil
1x Yew Spirit
1x Favorable Winds
1x Island
1x Plains
3x Mountain

3-0 very easily. This is what happens when you draft with terrible people to your right. Many things tabled that should not have and Mist Ravens came p3p3 and p3p4.

Round 1 this guy Blessing'd his Redeemer to 8/8, then I Spirit Away it next turn to make it 10/10 :/

Sage.    844
Just a fun cube story:

Dropped a turn 1 Lotus Bloom, and when it finally popped I had 7 mana, enough to play Sneak Attack, dropping Bogardan Hellkite, Griselbrand, and Kozilek. That was fun.

Sage.    844
It started out as regular reanimator when I opened Reanimate, Thirst for Knowledge, Diabolic Servitude. After that, I didn't get any other reanimation spells, but I got Sneak Attack to cheat them in, and Lotus Bloom / Gilded Lotus to make the jump from like 4-7 quickly, and to be able to cast everything from white Akroma to Griselbrand to Sphinx of the Steel Wind. It looked a mess at the end, but I had Brainstorm, Preordain, Vampiric Tutor, and Jace TMS to help me search and stabilize.

Turns out the reason that I didn't get any other reanimation spells is because I played against another reanimation deck. It was actually that deck that I went off on, while they had an Avacyn out.

Sage.    844
Just got my opponent to ultimate his Liliana of the Veil on himself to kill his own Bitterblossom xD

Still won btw

edit: 6-0'd the 8-4. My deck was pretty crazy.

Jace
Jace TMS
B/W Sorin
Karn
Tamiyo
4 Counters
Some spot removal
Wrath of God
Only creature was Keiga
Maze of Ith (though I never drew it)

MasterSimon    58
M13 Sealed seems horrible...not sure how I scrapped any wins out with either of my pools. I'm not sure if my pools have just been unusually terrible, or if it just better built for draft. I can defiantly see some good draft decks, but the cards just don't come enough to make them work in sealed. My pools just ends up looking like unsynergetic hodgepodge of cards, with weak rares like Battle of Wits or Door to Nothingness. Feels so much worse than ISD, ISD-DA, and AVR...

Sage.    844
Feels much, much better than AVR. I've gone 3-1 in all 3 of my sealed events, and it's not the best format ever but it's so much better and more fun than AVR. Exalted is basically the literal nuts still. Feels like bombs are a little bit too bomby in M13 though, or there's not much you can do against them. Thundermaw Hellkite isn't even fair in limited, and other things like Nefarox are pretty hard to beat as well. If you don't have bombs, you probably have to go aggro or you'll just lose to bombs. I really like Blue, White is probably the best aggressive color, Black is cool with exalted I guess, Red is pretty underwhelming on all fronts, and I haven't actually gotten a chance to play with green yet.

argh    306
[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1343519335' post='3242586']
Feels much, much better than AVR. I've gone 3-1 in all 3 of my sealed events, and it's not the best format ever but it's so much better and more fun than AVR. Exalted is basically the literal nuts still. Feels like bombs are a little bit too bomby in M13 though, or there's not much you can do against them. Thundermaw Hellkite isn't even fair in limited, and other things like Nefarox are pretty hard to beat as well. If you don't have bombs, you probably have to go aggro or you'll just lose to bombs. I really like Blue, White is probably the best aggressive color, Black is cool with exalted I guess, Red is pretty underwhelming on all fronts, and I haven't actually gotten a chance to play with green yet.
[/quote]

That's because m13 IS A GOOD DRAFT SET, also avr was just the pits.

Sage.    844
I keep on playing against blue players that Turn 1 Index. I'm so happy every time I see it, it's as if they mulligan. This one guy played THREE of them against me. I know they're bad, but it's pretty hilarious. I've had 3-4 opponents play it against me now.

Just drafted a pretty insane UB Removal deck with like 3 Murder, 2 Essence Drain, Public Execution, Archeomancer, etc.

MasterSimon    58
I 2-2ed both my M13 sealeds. I got no bombs either time. I did played aggro both times (Mono Black Aggro based on Tormented Soul and Ring of Ring of Xathrid, and RW Vanilla Creature Aggro), so at least I was doing something right with my lack of anything decent. :P

Like I said, I do think M13 makes for a good draft format, just feel like it doesn't come together enough for you to make synergetic deck most of the time. I generally lost to people with decks that had synergy (Exalted, Tarland). I've never had a problem making a good deck in AVR or ISD-DA. Just seems to me that M13 sealed is much more about power than synergy unlike the last two.

Azn_Boy    385
I am done drafting on MTGO holy shit the players are so bad.

Drafting DKA/ISD/ISD, first 4 picks were Deranged Outcast, Pyrehart Wolf, Immerswolf, and Deadly Recluse so I head into pack 2 with a good pool so far. Pack 2 shipped alot of white/black while getting passed Prey Upons and dorks, not to great but to be expected. Pack 3 saw barely any red, mediocre green, and then a 13th pick Into the Maw of Madness...so my deck is already looking shitty and I expect to get mauled the first round.

Only 3 turns in, NIGGA HAS MOUNTAIN, SWAMP, AND PLAINS, by turn 6 he has 2 of each land. And no he was not splashing for any color, he straight up drafted RBW with shitty enchantments. I lose game 1 because he draws into his manabase perfectly and topped all his removal spells. Game 2 I mull to 5 on the play and still beat him cause he is garbage. Game 3 I keep a one lander with four 2 drops on the draw, did not see another land until turn 4 and he opens up with his perfect manabase again in the first 6 turns.

mfw people don't know how to draft, mfw my colors get cut, mfw people get rewarded for drafting 3 colors, mfw I should've just went GW to abuse Deranged Outcast and taken that Loyal Cathar instead of Immerswolf.

Yes I mad.

PsyKnz    179
2nd place MTGO M13 draft a couple of hours ago, terrible draft deck: (Decent draft though, rare drafted a garruk pack 3)

9 Island
8 Swamp

1 Archaeomancer
1 Scroll Thief
1 Master of the Pearl Trident
1 Wind Drake
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Knight of Infamy
1 Ravenous Rats
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 Xathrid Gorgon

1 Duress
2 Divination
1 Murder
1 Encrust
1 Essence Scatter
1 Rewind
1 Talrand's Invocation
1 Switcheroo
1 Crippling Blight
1 Disentomb
1 Mark of the Vampire

Signals in the draft were very confusing, p1 felt like black was cut, but then it flowed heavily in p2 and p3. Good blue just trickled through. For a while I was red, but had to jump out when no removal came and my only good enough red cards were the 3/3 intimidates. I lost to the mirror which is kind of cool. He definitely had the better U/B deck.

I feel that in M13 draft black exalted splash X is a deck in and of itself.

Azn_Boy    385
I would not ever recommend playing Master of the Pearl Trident, Duress, or Rewind in draft. How did you get 2nd with that deck.

I have a bunch of saved M13 draft decks I have saved on MTGO I should post :/

Sand    1647
[quote name='Doughboy' timestamp='1345660843' post='3262138']
doing 10 dollar drafts at my local tonight pretty excited
[/quote]

StrikeZone has $5 drafts every Friday. Just saying :P.

Basic Island    609
[quote name='Sand' timestamp='1345732295' post='3262878']
[quote name='Doughboy' timestamp='1345660843' post='3262138']
doing 10 dollar drafts at my local tonight pretty excited
[/quote]

StrikeZone has $5 drafts every Friday. Just saying :P.
[/quote]

jelly I got there late cause of a wreck so i didnt get to draft.So I jammed a bunch of games with RUG Ramp

argh    306
[quote name='wocram' timestamp='1345785574' post='3263492']
How does a store manage to have $4 drafts?
[/quote]
Another store opened up near them (the game academy.) So coolstuff got in a price war with them, and eventually ended up having $4 8-4 drafts.
  • Upvote 1

Azn_Boy    385
[quote name='argh' timestamp='1345786957' post='3263505']
[quote name='wocram' timestamp='1345785574' post='3263492']
How does a store manage to have $4 drafts?
[/quote]
Another store opened up near them (the game academy.) So coolstuff got in a price war with them, and eventually ended up having $4 8-4 drafts.
[/quote]
That's ridiculous lol. But I guess Strikezone is pretty big.

Sage.    844
[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1345563912' post='3261214']
I would not ever recommend playing Master of the Pearl Trident, Duress, or Rewind in draft. How did you get 2nd with that deck.

I have a bunch of saved M13 draft decks I have saved on MTGO I should post :/
[/quote]

Master of the Pearl Trident is just a hard to cast Grizzly Bear, but it's actually quite good if you get 2-3 Scroll Thieves, but yeah I wouldn't recommend playing it in that deck.

Did you get 2nd in a big 64-man draft or an 8-4?

PsyKnz    179
It was just a 4-3-2-2.

Would have defended the build a week and a half ago but i was on a tropical holiday in Bali followed by hospitalised for the last 4 nights after getting back home.

Master of the pearl trident is shit, and in retrospect should have been the Augur of Bolas I drafted. Duress and Rewind however were both good. Not high pick good, but both won me games through well timed use. Rewind in particular is a great one of. Won me a game by protecting a marked wind drake. Of course all three of those cards were low picks. They made the cut simply because of a weak draft pool. I pulled second because like I said above, black exalted is a sick draft deck on its own.