IamJD

[Question] From writer to reader...

IamJD    54
Yo DGz, it's ya boy Fox.
I've been working on writing a book I hope to finish next year, hopefully it'll be published within a year after that. There aren't many good writing forums out there or people who drop you some legit opinion, so what better place to ask this than DGz, where EVERYONE has an issue with something...right?

I'm kidding, kinda...

Anyway, the novel I'm writing is of the fantasy genre, and I've been talking to everyone anywhere I can find them, so it's your turn DGz!

[b]For those of you who read Fantasy, what are your likes and dislikes?[/b]
Broad question, I know, but take it like this.

1.) What do you like to read about? Any topics in particular?
2.) What do you find the most off-putting thing that can happen in a novel in your opinion? The main character being killed? Cliche deaths and lines?
3.) After you put down your book, what makes you want to pick it back up again?

Thanks everyone!

SSJ Grumpig    5620
there isn't nearly enough incest in modern fantasy literature
  • Upvote 5

IamJD    54
[quote name='SSJ Grumpig' timestamp='1326864407' post='3078398']
there isn't nearly enough incest in modern fantasy literature
[/quote]

Oh my...

Fantasy is the genre of the lame and lazy. It's incredibly easy to write and difficult to screw up because there really aren't any rules you can break, at least rules with teeth. You don't need to have logic, themes, or cohesion, since you have "magic" as a catch-all crutch for all your stupid ideas. [i]Good [/i]fantasy is very difficult to write, and its goodness is drowned in the sea of bad that is the rest of the genre.

i'd just recommend you pick a different genre, because other genres will force you to be a better writer. there's a reason all the shitty fictions/fanfictions written by teenage girls are fantasy.

IamJD    54
[quote name='Mr. T' timestamp='1326865448' post='3078417']
Fantasy is the genre of the lame and lazy. It's incredibly easy to write and difficult to screw up because there really aren't any rules you can break, at least rules with teeth. You don't need to have logic, themes, or cohesion, since you have "magic" as a catch-all crutch for all your stupid ideas. [i]Good [/i]fantasy is very difficult to write, and its goodness is drowned in the sea of bad that is the rest of the genre.

i'd just recommend you pick a different genre, because other genres will force you to be a better writer. there's a reason all the shitty fictions/fanfictions written by teenage girls are fantasy.
[/quote]

Mmm...I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'd have to disagree with some of it as well.
If you're fucking awful at what you do, it's difficult to screw up and easy to write. If you actually give a fuck, it's quite the opposite, as you have to have logic and cohesion, you have to have a theme, notably, you have to make all this stuff up yourself.

Bad writers can be Bleach or Naruto about shit and use magic or special powers to make their main character un-defeatable, you know, because their main is absolutely perfect, the strongest, the best, the most well-dressed, etc etc etc.

Good writers, even with the use of magic and special powers, can't and won't do anything of the sort, it's one of the more noticeable things that separate the two categories.

You already mentioned that though, how difficult good fantasy is to write and how it's often overlooked for the garbage people enjoy fantasizing about today. At any rate, I'm mostly a fantasy writer, but it's not the only thing I can write with excruciating amounts of passion. If it'll improve my writing though, I'll do anything #Dedicated.
  • Upvote 1

>[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Good writers, even with the use of magic and special powers, can't and won't do anything of the sort, it's one of the more noticeable things that separate the two categories.<[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ok, glad you recognize that. But just be warned that even if you do write a good piece it will tend to be overlooked not only by most of the readerbase but by critics as well, because of guilt by association.[/size][/font]

Ammit    5159
Game of Thrones/LOTR vs. IDK. I mean it's also easy to write fantasy without magic being involved or not being wholly available.

IamJD    54
[quote name='Mr. T' timestamp='1326867059' post='3078453']
>[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Good writers, even with the use of magic and special powers, can't and won't do anything of the sort, it's one of the more noticeable things that separate the two categories.<[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ok, glad you recognize that. But just be warned that even if you do write a good piece it will tend to be overlooked not only by most of the readerbase but by critics as well, because of guilt by association.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

They can't associate me with such garbage, I do a barrel roll and use a boost to get through.
No but really, yeah, it's harsh, but my passion lies with writing, and I'll work as hard as I need to if it means I can get my name and work out there to be noticed by people looking for something they can enjoy and not scoff at when they reach the end of the book. Before I worry about getting my name out there though, I need to work a lot harder, I've got a long way to go.

Thanks for your input and advice!

Bazoo    5700
I would say try to stay away from a hugely overt magic system that either runs daily lives or somehow belonged to a secret race that died hundreds of years ago. Instead, focus on the politics that are possible of the fantasy genre. I think this is the real reason why Game of Thrones is such a good book: its focus is on relationships and politics, not "chosen boy who can do whatever magic he likes." On that note, I think the main jist of Mr. T's post is this: it is very easy for a fantasy writer to fall into cliches, but you -must- avoid those cliches to produce anything of quality. Similarly, the stay the fuck away from anything remotely like Christopher Paolini's works.
  • Upvote 1

Lamp    1424
[url=http://brandonsanderson.com/article/40/Sandersons-First-Law"]Relevant[/url] to where we're headed with this thread.

IamJD    54
[quote name='oozaB' timestamp='1327276130' post='3082357']
I would say try to stay away from a hugely overt magic system that either runs daily lives or somehow belonged to a secret race that died hundreds of years ago. Instead, focus on the politics that are possible of the fantasy genre. I think this is the real reason why Game of Thrones is such a good book: its focus is on relationships and politics, not "chosen boy who can do whatever magic he likes." On that note, I think the main jist of Mr. T's post is this: it is very easy for a fantasy writer to fall into cliches, but you -must- avoid those cliches to produce anything of quality. Similarly, the stay the fuck away from anything remotely like Christopher Paolini's works.
[/quote]

Hmm...Good advice
I definitely think I'm not falling into too many cliches or using magic as a crutch, but at the same time, I'll definitely need to do some revising. My current WIP is more or less a book about the son of an Archdemon living in an ordinary world while there's a war going on between the angels and demons in another world; I intended for it to be more about how this boy (and his life) compared to others of the 20th century, but I'm feeling that it's turning more into a "mythical quest in your own backyard" sorta thing.

[quote name='Lamp' timestamp='1327277376' post='3082369']
[url="http://brandonsanderson.com/article/40/Sandersons-First-Law"]Relevant[/url] to where we're headed with this thread.
[/quote]

Damn good read.
After I read it I looked up like 20 pages on cliches and things for writers (particularly fantasy writers) not to do.
I definitely have a long way to go if I want to be published, but damn it, I'm doing this.

Thanks everyone!