Quack

FMA vs FMA: Brotherhood

Quack    1840
I somehow have never gotten around to seeing either title, never read the manga, etc. The question is, which do I watch (or should I watch both)? I know Brotherhood sticks more to the manga, but I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing... Basically i know some of the story line and a few things about the characters and what they do.

so witch wun guise
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

»Tygo    14121
Both are great. The different story lines are like getting 2 for 1. The movie that ends the anime only version is a great cap to end it. The original story line from the manga is the better of the two. I thoroughly enjoyed both. I'd say start with the anime only. It's a good combination of action, plot, scifi, and a bit of comedy here and there.
  • Upvote 1

Splatt    338
I watched FMA in one breath. I started brotherhood, didn't went through me. I couldn't get the feeling I got from the original one. Maybe that's because I already watched one serie of it and know the overall plot, but I felt it is more pleasable to watch. But FMA : Brotherhood's opening theme really beats FMA :|

Quack    1840
[quote name='Tygo' timestamp='1331237806' post='3124113']
Both are great. The different story lines are like getting 2 for 1. The movie that ends the anime only version is a great cap to end it. The original story line from the manga is the better of the two. I thoroughly enjoyed both. I'd say start with the anime only. It's a good combination of action, plot, scifi, and a bit of comedy here and there.
[/quote]
wait are you saying only watch FMA? my question was for which anime series to watch

Quack    1840
[quote name='Nocturne' timestamp='1331237921' post='3124116']
I watched FMA in one breath. I started brotherhood, didn't went through me. I couldn't get the feeling I got from the original one. Maybe that's because I already watched one serie of it and know the overall plot, but I felt it is more pleasable to watch. But FMA : Brotherhood's opening theme really beats FMA :|
[/quote]
i've heard/read the same thing from multiple people. but then some say that brotherhood has the better storyline because it sticks more to the manga... :(

»Tygo    14121
I'm saying to watch both. Start with FMA then when you're done with that, go to FMABH.

»Tygo    14121
[quote name='Nocturne' timestamp='1331237921' post='3124116']
[/quote]

Yeah, it's kind of hard to start FMABH just because the plot is the same up to a certain point. If you can get to where the plot forks, you'll be really happy with the end results.

Oceanus    1125
Both are actually great. They also sort of complement each other, I'm thankful for seeing both. They both have massive plot differences, too (you make an anime before the manga's done, things are going to be different). So you have to choose if you're only doing one.

The first is more straightforward, yet it has a major twist for explaining the root of alchemy that many think is gimmicky or just not creative.

The biggest difference is the feel, FMA has only a few characters, and it develops those characters deeply. A friend of mine likes it more than Brotherhood solely because of that, there's way more detail for the several characters, and that is relevant.

Brotherhood has so many epic moments, but it also has tons of characters. It's well written, and if you like any of the dozens of characters, you'll be happy to know they have a relevant part in the plot; but there's simply not time to go into them as detailed as FMA. And there's lots of plot. 61 episodes is actually a bit short, they have to move fast. There are 5 parts (considering there are 5 opening/endings): 1) Go over the plot it shares with FMA 2) Understanding most of the plot 3) Finding all the protagonists 4) build-up for the final battle 5) a string of epic boss battles vs. different groups of protagonists.

So both have many great things about them, but I would say Brotherhood has more great things. In the end, both have the same themes; Brotherhood is written just as fantastic as the manga, FMA is written with half the manga in mind and takes a different direction that is admirable in its own right.
  • Upvote 9

Forlum    9162
FMA: B assumes you've watched FMA so it speeds through the parts FMA covered and then the plot forks and it's it own pretty good show. FMA:B has way more "aww were wacky and Japanese(german?)" moments that fuck up the pacing/feel.

FMA has the best voice acting for a kid in a suit of armor I have ever heard and they go in depth into some of the fucked up shit the characters do. Ending was lame compared to the amazing show they had built up.

So overall I like FMA best, both are pretty good, watch both, def. start with FMA, then the movie, then watch FMA:B
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Man, I don't know. After watch FMA, you're probably going to want to watch brotherhood. If you are [u]only[/u] going to watch one... I would say watch brotherhood. If you are going to give both a chance, start with FMA. I'd say you should watch both.

Aaron    2032
watch FMA1 first.

FMAB imo is better but FMA1 covers the first few episodes in more detail.

FMAB kinda skipped and shortened a lot of the earlier eps cos they'd already been done.

2 totally different animes tho after 20 eps or so.

+Malcolm    4609
brotherhood is undoubtedly better than fma. it honestly is not even debatable.

watch fma first and then brotherhood.
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I've seen both and I know Brotherhood is better overall. I read the manga before picking up the anime and the extent of breaking apart from the original storyline didn't feel right with me. I'll agree with others where FMA was detailed prior to breaking into it's own plot, at that point I couldn't really stomach it, I just hated everything past the intro of Greed

+rei+    34669
I vastly prefered the original FMA but am in the minority there

FMA has way better initial moments / setting the scene than brotherhood. It introduces you to the world WAY better
  • Upvote 2

imo brotherhood makes the first show look like a joke, theres so much more development and it ends on such a bigger note

the 1st one isnt bad, but the second one was so much better for me
  • Upvote 1

Indignation    2858
Brotherhood is the best version. I don't know one person who prefers the other and I know a lot of people who have seen both.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+rei+    34669
i prefer the original.
Also seriously,. INTRO TO THE SERIES>

+Malcolm    4609
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWWxuIxKH9I&feature=colike

one of the best openings ever
  • Upvote 4

»neptune    3789
Both are great.

I gotta admit FMA: BH is superior though.

Quack    1840
if i watch brotherhood first which seems to be the better one, then FMA is ruined for me if i ever try and watch it

if i watch FMA first, i will probably never get around to watching brotherhood

:(

+Malcolm    4609
no the reasoning for fma first is that brotherhood speeds through the beginning to where the story forks so if you watch fma second you will find it unbearably slow for the first long while as opposed to having a great time

Black Hippy    88
All of the mixed feedback should tell you that both versions are very good.

I personally liked Brotherhood more since it is based on the manga storyline, which I like more than the anime storyline.

The original anime however was very good itself and is a great way to introduce yourself to the world. Even though i like the manga storyline more, the anime is still amazing.

I watched FMA first, then saw Conqueror of Shambala (excellent finish to the anime story), then read the manga and finally watched FMA:BH. Even though the endings are completely different, they do compliment each other and both are amazing on their own. Both are pretty complex and deep. Both cause you to become attached to the characters. Both have their extremely dark elements. Both have action, suspense, drama, romance, and more.
_
Tl;dr: You should definitely watch both. I'd watch FMA first because it actually goes through the first portion of the manga while FMA:BH basically picks up where the original anime and manga go their separate ways. Regardless of whichever one you decide to start with, you should make time for the other. It's completely worth it.

Oceanus    1125
One praise is the innovation on Brotherhood's part with opening/endings. While both series compliments the direction and feel of the plot, Brotherhood meshes these into the series. This is the first time I've seen such experimentation, but I thought it was amazing how late in Brotherhood they start intermixing the opening and ending with the episodes. You get to a huge cliffhanger or awesome collide of badasses and all of a sudden you hear the epic ending theme start playing-- you know the ending theme is coming, but the episode isn't done with you yet. That feeling adds a lot to the suspense and just meshes with the end of the episode like I've never seen in an anime. Then they add more of the episode after the ending theme and you're like, "a challenger appears!?", etc. It really is impressive.
  • Upvote 1