orangeeyes

George Zimmerman charged with 2nd Degree Murder

Medb    773
He was a dumbass for following the kid when the cops told him not to, which I find at that point, he's the only one putting himself in danger. But, that doesn't change that they law pretty much says that you have the right to use lethal force if you feel you are in danger. Which, is why the law can be shit, since the only person alive who really know what happened is Zimmerman. So while I hope he does get punished, getting convicted for murder shouldn't happen, unless there is conclusive evidence that Trayvon did nothing to threaten Zimmerman.

»orangeeyes    11863
[quote name='Terra' timestamp='1334201006' post='3152523']
He was a dumbass for following the kid when the cops told him not to, which I find at that point, he's the only one putting himself in danger. But, that doesn't change that they law pretty much says that you have the right to use lethal force if you feel you are in danger. Which, is why the law can be shit, since the only person alive who really know what happened is Zimmerman. So while I hope he does get punished, getting convicted for murder shouldn't happen, unless there is conclusive evidence that Trayvon did nothing to threaten Zimmerman.
[/quote]
I just don't understand why it's reasonable to think Zimmerman was "just protecting himself" when he was following him with a gun and inciting a confrontation. Not only is that harassment, but he should/will get sued out the ass with a wrongful death suit even if he gets off.

Do you know what kind of precedent this would set? If I see someone I don't like walking down my street, I could stalk him while carrying my gun, start talking shit to him, get into a fight, wait until he draws blood/causes any sort of injury then shoot him in the face. That's just not right.
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Medb    773
[quote name='Fear the Deer v2.0' timestamp='1334201308' post='3152528']
[quote name='Terra' timestamp='1334201006' post='3152523']
[/quote]
I just don't understand why it's reasonable to think Zimmerman was "just protecting himself" when he was following him with a gun and inciting a confrontation. Not only is that harassment, but he should/will get sued out the ass with a wrongful death suit even if he gets off.

Do you know what kind of precedent this would set? If I see someone I don't like walking down my street, I could stalk him while carrying my gun, start talking shit to him, get into a fight, wait until he draws blood/causes any sort of injury then shoot him in the face. That's just not right.
[/quote]
You pretty much just gave the reason why the Stand Your Ground law is shit. Until there's any proof that Trayvon hadn't done anything to him, the only story we have is Zimmerman's, so until it can be proven he didn't get attacked, it has to be assumed that he was since (if I recall correctly) there was blood drawn on him. You probably could do what you suggested in a state with that law.

»orangeeyes    11863
nah I couldn't I'm black
  • Upvote 20
  • Downvote 2

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mike-tyson-trayvon-martin-case-disgrace-george-zimmerman-221115400.html"]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mike-tyson-trayvon-martin-case-disgrace-george-zimmerman-221115400.html[/url]
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34689
Innocent until proven guilty dawgs - however most things are pointing towards likely guilt.

[s]Second amendment ruins everything as usual[/s]
  • Downvote 1

Wilson    12516
It still amazes me that people can carry handguns with them over there.
  • Upvote 12

mikey p?    1444
[quote name='Mr. T' timestamp='1334205952' post='3152619']
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mike-tyson-trayvon-martin-case-disgrace-george-zimmerman-221115400.html"]http://news.yahoo.co...-221115400.html[/url]
[/quote]
Mike Tyson should sell that gold tooth so he can put some regular ones in that dirty ass mouth.
  • Downvote 2

+Malcolm    4614
most people only care about this because it was some black kid that got shot

still, rip tayshon
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 24

Arshen    3893
Apparently I've been living under a rock. What happened?
  • Downvote 1

»orangeeyes    11863
[quote name='XxMalcolm' timestamp='1334237851' post='3152881']

still, rip tayshon
[/quote]
I'd normally agree but this story has racial undertones. If Trayvon just happened to be white he'd still be alive.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

»infinite    2317
[quote name='XxMalcolm' timestamp='1334237851' post='3152881']

still, rip tayshon
[/quote]
I'm not sure what you getting at but that's the point. If he was some white kid this wouldn't have happened.
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

»Starwind    1777
This sounds a lot like mob-rule to me, which should frighten everyone. Also this entire case reeks of confirmation bias.

We better be careful or this shit is sort of approaching this:

[img]http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0309/images/life/lynching.jpg[/img]

Let's not set ourselves back another 150 years.
  • Upvote 16
  • Downvote 1

+Malcolm    4614
if teflon was white he would still be alive

fight for justice
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 14

Medb    773
It's sad how much media can influence the justice system. I don't understand how Zimmerman would be able to have a fair trial anywhere considering how much exposure the case has gotten, nearly everyone has heard it and will have their opinions about it before even stepping into the court.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

»infinite    2317
[quote name='Starwind' timestamp='1334247409' post='3153003']
This sounds a lot like mob-rule to me, which should frighten everyone. Also this entire case reeks of confirmation bias.

We better be careful or this shit is sort of approaching this:

[pic]

Let's not set ourselves back another 150 years.
[/quote]
[quote name='Terra' timestamp='1334247660' post='3153012']
It's sad how much media can influence the justice system. I don't understand how Zimmerman would be able to have a fair trial anywhere considering how much exposure the case has gotten, nearly everyone has heard it and will have their opinions about it before even stepping into the court.
[/quote]

I agree with you guys. If the discussion is about equality and fairness then he deserves a fair trail like any other human being, black or white.
  • Upvote 2

»orangeeyes    11863
I think Florida dropped the ball by not doing this sooner. For the reasons above, he's not going to get a fair trial now. If he was arrested after the incident, we might not even hear about this.
  • Upvote 12

[quote name='Fear the Deer v2.0' timestamp='1334250378' post='3153068']
I think Florida dropped the ball by not doing this sooner. For the reasons above, he's not going to get a fair trial now. If he was arrested after the incident, we might not even hear about this.
[/quote]

exactly this

it could have been a trial, now it's become a spectacle
  • Upvote 3

Terion    120
[url="http://i.imgur.com/Iii8p.jpg"][img]http://i.imgur.com/Iii8p.jpg[/img][/url]
  • Upvote 32