Pharaoh Atem

Translation HQ - Meet the Team

»Pharaoh Atem    15751

Good tidings, friends.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xIAByD4nW1M?rel=0&loop=1&autoplay=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I figure it appropriate we introduce ourselves.

I - Atem
II - Ark

III - Eva

IV - Dino

V - Dylan

VI - Redshift

VII - Ness
VIII - Ryusui
IX - John

X - Antony

XI - Ash

XII - Dan

XIII - Kahu

XIV - UltimateKuriboh

Our Nobodies:
Yuki

Deltaneos
AEtherchild

Darkplant

Siulzen

The Pedantic Gentleman

L2theZ

Allen C. Pennington

Nauske

Enzio

BLS

Cardguy

Dennis Frogman

N. Steadman

Spectral Joker

Bilaterus

I'll leave everyone's own introductions to themselves. When various members need to drop out of the Organization, our associates will likely fill in indefinitely, becoming the new Number.

• Upvote 8

Kahu    2418
Haha. So that's how the roster goes, eh? I'm tempted to join in myself, but everybody on that roster who knows me knows that I'm too lazy to get any decent work done.

Keep up the work, guys.

~NeoArkadia~    2794
... So I have an eyepatch and a pair of weirdass guns? I can go for that.

Anyways, I'm NeoArkadia, aka Neo, aka Ark. Yes. No Cs in there, keep them away. Anyways, I was one of the first to agree to Atem's dastardly evil master plan. I try to help with effects, but my eyes are my greatest foes, and I tend to mess up a bit. I also like PSCT, but I'm not quite proficient at it (yet, and maybe never) I more mainly try to help with names, in attempting to find words and synonyms to the literal translations that try to make them sound less... "clunky", I guess. So I guess I bring the naming whimsy to the group.

Uh. I like Yu-Gi-Oh!, fan of the card game and all 4 animes for some reason beyond my knowing. I don't care much for meta-game Decks due to a variety of reasons, and prefer casual, I guess due to a factor of aesthetic over play-ability. I guess the best way to put it is I prefer monsters with huge effects, that also work with cool combos.

~Deadborder~    5156
So apparently I'm some bigass dude with an ugly tomahawk uggggggggggggghhhhhh fuck that

But yeah I'm Deadborder/DB/Decchan/Dylan/whatever. In terms of history with this project I'm relatively new, having joined DGZ around late Feb/early March. On Pojo I've been helping Eva and Ness with some translating whenever I/we aren't feeling lazy (Siulzen also chills in OCGtown with us). I can pretty much translate effects if I've got a good enough image, though names I usually have to consult a dictionary of some kind. However this doesn't mean I can't translate them at all, obviously. I'm also pretty good at dealing with weirdass katakana stuff (ex., Madolce) and I do try to preserve "callbacks" or references cards may make.

In other words: I don't really have a huge niche, but I'll float around a lot and translate things if nobody's come by to do so.

In terms of YGO stuff I'm a fan of the card game a bit more than the anime though I don't consider myself to be amazing (and I've never really entered a tournament so yeah). I'm perfectly fine with messing around with top-tier stuff as well as casual games, but I usually hover around T2/Stun decks like T.G. or Rock Stun as I've found I enjoy that sort of lockdown style of deck (messed around with Perfect Herald a bit as well).

uhhhh other stuff
I dunno, I'm kinda "artsy", I like to doodle and shit, and I also cook fairly frequently with my favorites usually being baked desserts, I also have a quasi-decent command of Spanish, watch some animu/read mangoes, like techno and stuff, blah blah blah, and yeah I'm also gay if that means anything/you haven't read many of my posts. Oh yeah, my avatar comes from a now-defunct Bandai merchandise chain called "FROG STYLE".

wooooooo I threw the intros out of numbering order

Well then, this is interesting.

Dark Evangel of Pojo, call me Eva for short, don't ever call me just "Dark", or I will spank you. Atem approached me with his scheme after talking over it with Ark, and seeing our mutual distaste in Wikia as well as having always been an admirer of sorts for Atem, I agreed. I translate almost any and all things YGO related, most of which come directly from 2ch. I speak Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), English, Japanese, and whatever's left of my French. Because I speak Chinese, I will at times translate stuff from XYZ of NWBBS as well. Uh, because of the many languages I speak, I kinda have an unfair advantage in translating names, but also due to those same many languages my head gets jumbled up quite often and can't express myself as well as I would like to in English, which is actually kind of a pain at times.

I don't watch ZEXAL, I don't read any of the current ongoing YGO mangas, and have no interest to in the foreseeable future.

I played variants of Junk/Debris/QD/Plant Synchro ever since it was a viable decktype. Last format I added TG Agents as my second deck. So you can of course predict my rage at the March list, and to spite Konmai, I haven't bought any new products in months and am now playing HERO Beat, getting the Blade Armor Ninjas from trade rather than buying them.

I'm also spelling it Konmai on purpose.
  • Upvote 2

~ness00~    1013
[quote name='SUSPECT 1' timestamp='1335238955' post='3163027']
did anyone figure out your ethnicity yet eva?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they are still struggling somewhere around a Hindu Brazilian japanophile that jumped the American border along some Mexican goblins. Pojo has never lied to me.

Anyway, I'm ness00. You've probably heard of me in a rulings discussion and called me an asshole at some point. I live in Argentina, a country you've probably heard less about than my username. I don't really know Japanese. I'm slowly learning through various unrelated resources, but nothing has worked as well as actually reading YGO Cards (yes, that's a thing). I've dealt with the wonderful world of YGO rulings for about 7-8 years and I currently translate the weekly Official OCG rulings batches at Pojo.

I really like YGO and have played shitty Decks for as long as I can remember. I would still do that if I wasn't judging my Locals. I've watched most episodes of the 4 anime shows, and I currently write undeservedly long reviews for Zexal.

I'm not particularly fond of dealing with Cards that haven't been released yet. People seem to be too concerned on things that cannot possibly affect them until months ahead, and by then, many factors will have changed. I like helping people until they prove to be too stupid. I'm here mostly to help the other guys in the team, which either I like them a lot, or don't know anything about them. If an idiot is helped in the process, then so be it.
  • Upvote 4

»Pharaoh Atem    15751
And now Ness reminds me of Saix far more than he should
  • Upvote 1

-yzan424-    4
Sorry. Late introduction due to a busy schedule at school.

So I'm Yuki, yzan424 on the site. Live in NorCal in the U.S. School life is busy (As you can tell) but I try to squeeze in 1-2 days to play this game over the weekend. Oh yeah and don't mind my horrible rep on here cuz I tend to say stupid shit sometimes. :P

Japanese was my first language but growing up my English overlapped it at some point during middle school. I've had mild translating experiences else where but not too much when it comes to localizing and interpreting for the TCG. Not sure how far I can get but I hope to be of some service for you guys as a community.

I've been playing this game ever since it came out but didn't really become competitive until about 5d's era. I only have 1 regional top but I am somewhat recognized in my area. Feel free to challenge me on dn anytime I'm on (I much rather play with fellow dgzer's than all the stupid shit I have to deal with otherwise lol)

All in all, I am very excited to be here on this crew and help the yugioh community!
  • Upvote 1

-Siulzen-    749
So it seems I'm the only one left for introductions.

Number VI huh. Now who was that again?

[img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110116083624/kingdomhearts/images/thumb/4/41/Zexion_Days.png/200px-Zexion_Days.png[/img]

Um....okay.

So I'm Siulzen from Pojo, DGz (duh), NAC, and DN. Unlike the rest of the team, I cannot translate moonspeak. So why am I on the team you say? Well I did help Atem find some HQ images back when ORCS was the new thing everyone was talking about, and the team has ever since been using those images for all their translation work. I ask myself why am I part of the team as well, but Atem was kind enough to have me join and apparently I was key into the team becoming a reality. :S

You probably know me by now as the guy who relays all the info from Pojo and NAC to here, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

Beyond that, I consider myself to be an average YGO player. I have had 0 high level play experience (does UDE Day count?), but I love talking, learning, and overall just staying in the loop about things in the game. For personal reasons and because I disagree with the way the TCG side of things is handled, I no longer play nor purchase any product of the TCG IRL. Though I still love the game, so the fact DN exists keeps me around.

I play or have played a variety of other TCGs as well. Currently I'm playing locally Magic the Gathering and I play and collect Cardfight!! Vanguard.

As Deadborder mentioned, you can usually find me goofing around in the OCG section of Pojo.

Even though I can't translate, I'm happy to be a part of the team and am willing to help out in any way I can.
  • Upvote 2

»Pharaoh Atem    15751
I've nabbed us a Number VIII, and begun efforts to spread to the Wiki.

DGZ will be our Castle That Never Was, and the Wiki will be our Castle Oblivion.

~Ryusui~    17
I'm Number VIII. Hello.

I'm Ryusui, and in addition to being a contributor to the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki, I'm also responsible for the English version of the Breath of Fire 2 retranslation. I believe strongly in localization, and I also believe that Konami has come a long way since the dark days of "Giant Trunade" and "Fushioh Richie": their more recent output, including the mythological references in the Storm of Ragnarok and Galactic Overlord expansions, is not merely acceptable but frequently laudable - if prone to occasional silliness ("That Wacky Magic!").

I'm not saying, of course, that we should simply throw up our hands and simply accept whatever shows up in the TCG as universal. There are changes, and these changes are worth making note of. However, the important thing is that the original is not [i]misrepresented[/i]: failing to recognize when Konami's translations are [i]accurate[/i] is as serious an issue as failing to recognize when they [i]aren't.[/i] Several months ago, I went through the Ice Barrier pages on the Wiki and corrected every case where "Ice Boundary" was treated as the "Japanese name"; 氷結界 translates equally well as either, the only difference being that "Ice Barrier" is official and "Ice Boundary" is not. More bewilderingly, I found a case where "Decayed Commander" was listed as having the baroque Japanese name of "Decaying Dead Great Commander": the official English name is a [i]spot-on accurate[/i] translation of 朽ち果てた武将, which does not say "dead" or "great." And of course, back when Edo's was treated as the Gospel, I felt like the lone voice of reason when people were complaining about "Pandemonium" because it wasn't "Lair of the Ten Thousand Demon Lords." (And then they complained about "Nightmare's Steelcage" in the anime because some crappy HK sub called it "Nightmare Fence" instead. 悪夢の鉄折, people. It doesn't get more literal than that. Suffice it to say my faith in humanity took a [i]serious[/i] ding that day.)

I've been able to read and understand Japanese to at least [i]some[/i] extent since before Yu-Gi-Oh! was even released in the US. Between then and now, I've been involved on and off with a number of fan translation projects, primarily my own. I'm also a freelance proofreader/editor, as well as a programmer: I even have a couple of Flash games floating around the web, [url="http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12635"]one of which is an entry in the Ludum Dare #23 Game Jam[/url] ([url="http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594365"]and also available on Newgrounds - complete with achievements![/url]).

I look forward to working with you all. :3
  • Upvote 1

»Pharaoh Atem    15751
And just to inform, our Number VIII is someone who actually helped inspire me to get into the whole learning Japanese business in the first place.

This is why he's the assassin of the group - and gets the icky jobs.

~Ryusui~    17
Oh, I'm used to "icky jobs." Try reading Tokyopop's release of .hack//Legend of the Twilight, or Dark Horse's release of Trigun/Trigun Maximum...[i]especially[/i] if the .hack games/anime and the English dub of Trigun are near and dear to your heart. [i][b]It is like gazing into the deepest heart of Buddhist hell and having your face slowly eaten off by ravenous preta.[/b][/i] The only award those deserve is the Giant Golden Did Not Give A ****. Whoever spawned those "translations" either had a deep-seated grudge against the English language or their aesthetic sense removed with a blunt icepick through the eye socket. Did these people even [i]bother[/i] to look at the previous translations before spreading their buttocks wide and taking a thermonuclear dump on these manga? .hack//Legend of the Twilight is noteworthy in that it is rife with errors that anyone who's played the first game in the series for all of [i]fifteen minutes[/i] could call their "translator" on.

Now, here's the ugly part.

Imagine someone who, as a vanity project, decides to fan translate a game that he figures nobody but himself is gonna care about - say, the first of the Japan-only Sylvanian Families games for Game Boy. Now, Sylvanian Families is a long-running toy line with a presence outside Japan, and things don't always match up between the Japanese and English versions - for one thing, while all the characters are just identified by species and family position in Japan ("Ivory Rabbit Girl," "Bear Boy," "Squirrel Mom"), they have proper names ("Aster Dandelion," "Bud Timbertop," "Greta Furbanks") in the rest of the world. But this guy, he doesn't give a damn - it's not like anybody who cares about Sylvanian Families is gonna [i]play[/i] his fan translation, right? So he works on his project, he gets some things working, but on the whole, the project is too tough for him and he gives up.

Then he realizes it's all just karma biting him in the ass, because his refusal to Do The Damn Research[i] is exactly what he's harped on Tokyopop and Dark Horse for.[/i]

Yeah, that "someone" was me around 2005, and realizing my own hypocrisy was the slap in the face I needed to realize that "accurate" translation, taken on its own, is a steaming pile: [i]context[/i] is equally crucial, and preserving literal meaning with no regard for the intended spirit is nothing short of unforgivable. (For the record, I went back and finished that translation, and while the finished version is somewhat buggy and contains one glaring translation oversight, it's playable and available to the public. As for why I was translating a Sylvanian Families game in the first place? That's an even [i]longer[/i] story than this. ^_^ ;)

~NeoArkadia~    2794
[quote][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I believe strongly in localization[/quote][/size][/font]
[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]May I ask why? I heavily prefer it myself, but I know plenty of people who would prefer the literal "undiluted" meaning of things.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I have had to deal with misrepresentation myself, as I preside over a forum of people who some of which hail back to when Janime just started, when mistranslated cards were epic and [/size][/font][i][b]many[/b][/i][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3].[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][quote][/size][/font][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]And of course, back when Edo's was treated as the Gospel, I felt like the lone voice of reason when people were complaining about "Pandemonium" because it wasn't "Lair of the Ten Thousand Demon Lords."[/quote][/size][/font]
[font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][size=3]Of what I understand, many such translations by Edo might of been intentionally bad, as many sites treated him so much as gospel, he was leaving a calling card to find out who was stealing his work.[/size][/font]
  • Upvote 1

~Ryusui~    17
1. Mainly because straight translations tend to sound like garbage, and - let's face it - they [i]don't[/i] sound like garbage in [i]Japanese[/i]. I mean, in Breath of Fire 2's old translation, everyone talks like malfunctioning robots with poor grasp of English pronouns - the game is generally kinda [i]creepy[/i] in English, when it's [i]supposed[/i] to be a lighthearted fantasy romp with a crunchy center of drama. Now, if you examine the script, you'll see that apart from some obvious concessions to Nintendo's censorship policies at the time (despite the blatant presence of a bizarro Catholic Church) and a few outright flubs, the old translation is almost word-for-word [i]accurate[/i] with the source material - and yet it still [i]misrepresents[/i] the source because the incompetent translation completely changes the tone of the game.

As an aside, I'm not sure which pisses me off more: people [i]praising[/i] garbage translations for their "accuracy" (which is generally measured by how ludicrous they are), or people failing to [i]condemn[/i] them for mistakes that even a five-year-old would catch (I swear, whoever TDX's translator is, he is [i]not[/i] freaking human - [i]how the hell do you fail to recognize [b]MUSICAL FREAKING CHAIRS?!?!?[/b][/i]).

2. I'm well aware a lot of his bad translations were in there as a deliberate watermark. [b][i]STILL. [/i][/b][i][b]NO. FREAKING. EXCUSE.[/b][/i] Getting the glory in this line of work is a [i]bonus,[/i] not an [i]objective.[/i] I'm fine with just rubbing it in people's faces on occasion that, yes, I'm the guy who figured out what 聖刻 was supposed to mean; I'm not going to put landmines in the information I provide just to see who parrots them so I can catch them for "stealing my work." I'd rather people "stole" my work and spread it far and wide than repeat the same mistakes over and over (unless I discover later that [i]I[/i] was the one who made a mistake, of course - in that case, I'd much rather the damage be contained ^_^ ;).
  • Upvote 1

»Pharaoh Atem    15751
Enough on past glories. We are to organize to handle present and future concerns.

Ryusui, what do you know of the Wiki's own personal translator staff? Should we merely associate with them, or make them full members?

Also, someone go fix the kana on the Parshath page for me

~Ryusui~    17
Fix'd. (Kind of a curious thing, too, since if it [i]is[/i] "Perseus," it's using the Anglicized pronunciation rather than the Greek.)

As for the translator staff...I don't really know much about them. It's mostly the admins I interact with. Cheesedude posts on my talk page asking for advice. Deltaneos trusts my translations, too. Oh, and FredCat can be a pain to deal with sometimes, since his English is kinda spotty and it's often hard to explain things to him.

[quote name='NeoArkadia' timestamp='1336719810' post='3177763']
[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]May I ask why? I heavily prefer it myself, but I know plenty of people who would prefer the literal "undiluted" meaning of things.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I have had to deal with misrepresentation myself, as I preside over a forum of people who some of which hail back to when Janime just started, when mistranslated cards were epic and [/size][/font][i][b]many[/b][/i][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3].[/size][/font]
[/quote]
I personally like it because I hate anything that sounds like ESL garbage. "Fiend Roar Deity" was not acceptable, and the people who applaud it seriously had no idea what the hell they were talking about.

Not to mention I hate misinformation, and surprisingly, nothing confuses and creates misinformation faster than something directly translated.

There are areas that I am stickler about when it comes to translation, such as manga to a certain degree. Tokyo Pop's translations can go to hell, honestly. But, card names is a whole different story.

~Ryusui~    17
We are agreed, [quote name='Dark Evangel' timestamp='1336726372' post='3177820']
Tokyo Pop's translations can go to hell, honestly. But, card names is a whole different story.
[/quote]

We are agreed on Tokyopop, then. Viz also annoys me with their refusal to do the freaking research with Yu-Gi-Oh! - I'm fine with how they [i]explained[/i] why they used "Giant's Might" instead of "Megamorph" in the first Duel Monsters story (because the manga effect doesn't match up with the IRL effect), but since then, they haven't even bothered to [i]check[/i] which cards have even been [i]released[/i] in English. I think my personal breaking point was "Muko" for "Null and Void." And while Fullmetal Alchemist's translation isn't [i]consistently[/i] bad, their mangling of "Xerxes" as "Cselkcess" is just..[i]mind-wrenching.[/i]

Anyways, 魔轟神 is one of those cases where localization is pretty much a must - "Magoushin" sounds awesome in Japanese, but its literal translation is crap. The only problem I have is that the 魔轟神獣 becoming "[i]The[/i] Fabled" is a little lazy. I'll also admit I love "Gishki" - normally, leaving names in Japanese is one of my berserk buttons, but here they basically [i]translated the play on words: [/i]the original "Ritua" is a play off the English word "Ritual," while "Gishki" is a play on the Japanese word 儀式. Plus it has this neat pseudo-Hindu mythology vibe to it. :3 (To be honest, I'd have sooner left "Magoushin" [i]untranslated [/i]than gone forward with "Fiend Roar Deity"...)

~NeoArkadia~    2794
[quote][font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][size=3]"Fiend Roar Deity" was not acceptable[/quote] To be fair, Fiend Roar Deity was kind of Konami's fault due to one of the Tag Force and World Championship games. Honestly, until recently, I never quite got the name for Magoushin. I'm a bit fuzzy, but I believe the "Roar/Howl" part of their name can also mean "Famous for/as", inferring they're spirits and deities infamously known as demons and monsters? :|a;;[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][size=3][quote][/size][/font][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Plus it has this neat pseudo-Hindu mythology vibe to it[/quote][/size][/font][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hindu/Lovecraftian. (The clan does seem to call to a lot of those stories, especially the author's later work.)[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Not quite sure who Deltaneos and FredCat are. I have interacted with Cheesedude many times I believe.[/size][/font]

~Ryusui~    17
[quote name='NeoArkadia' timestamp='1336729075' post='3177836']
[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]To be fair, Fiend Roar Deity was kind of Konami's fault due to one of the Tag Force and World Championship games. Honestly, until recently, I never quite got the name for Magoushin. I'm a bit fuzzy, but I believe the "Roar/Howl" part of their name can also mean "Famous for/as", inferring they're spirits and deities infamously known as demons and monsters? :|a;;[/size][/font][/quote]

Not to my knowledge, no. It connotes a roar or a rumble or a thunderous noise. It's telling that the kanji is written with the radical for "wheel" three times - imagine the sound of heavy traffic.