2 Maxx "C"
1 Dark Hole
2 Chain Disappearance
2 Musakani Magatama
2 Rivalry of Warlords
3 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror

[u][b]Tournament Report:[/b][/u]

[spoiler]
Before I begin, I got a game loss in Round 4 because of an issue with my sleeves. I used Shi En sleeves for my deck, as I found it fitting considering the fact that I was playing Samurai. A couple of days before I was short on them so I borrowed a couple off a friend for the side, however I neglected to notice that they read "Yu-Gi-Oh" rather than my Japanese "5D's". A couple of my side deck cards had these sleeves, which were different to the rest.

[img]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3037/1000007n.jpg[/img]

The judge told me to resleeve and restart game 3, however the opponent, who I know quite well from locals, appealed to the head judge and I got a game loss. Honestly I deserved it and it sucks that it pretty much ruined a great day where I turned a lot of heads with something different, I'm disappointed in myself for being so stupid. The guy knew that I wasn't deliberately cheating cause me and him have played before but accidents happen.

Anyways on that note here's the report:

Round 1 (Rabbit) Game 1: Summon Shi En, Veiler his Rabbit and beatdown for game

Game 2: first turn he goes into Laggia, I bide my time to bait out the Laggia then Dark Hole, afterwards I summon Enishi with Gateway and United up for him to Fiendish Chain, he sets one in his turn I top Smoke Signal and he discards Maxx C so I OTK him

Side changes: -1 asceticism, -1 elder, -2 double edged, -1 six sam united
+1 rivalry +1 magatama +1 dark hole +2 chain disappearance

Round 2 (Wind-Ups) Game 1: Played Luke Lennard, who goes to my Friday locals. I set up and then beatdown quite a bit, got a +2 off uniteds and that led me to a quick game

Game 2: I set all my backrow hate and he used 3 mst to clear it before hand looping for game

Game 3: had enough hate to ride the initial push, summoned kizan and judgmented his warning then beatdown for game

Side changes: -1 elder, -1 asceticism, -2 united, -2 double-edged, -1 magatama
+2 rivalry, +2 maxx, +2 chain disappearance, +1 cyber dragon

Round 3 (Inzektors) Game 1: Playing against one of the guys who I travelled up with, good mate. I swarm pretty quickly and he walls with Reaper, I make a push and use Brio targetting the Reaper which is negated by Veiler. The judge ruled it that Reaper still dies so I won

Game 2: He opens with three set and I storm, from there I make a push with Zanji and he couldn't recuperate from it

Side changes: -1 elder, -1 asceticism, -2 double-edged, -1 united, -1 magatama, -1 mirror force
+1 cyber dragon, +1 crow, +3 shadow-imprisoning, +2 chain disappearance

Round 4 (Wind-Ups/Beast) Game 1: I managed to repel all his Horn plays and locked with Shi En for game

Game 2: I get a bit of leverage but in the end I can't stop the advantage that Horn generated

Game 3: Game loss

Round 5 (Rabbit) Game 1: Lost to Laggia, I couldn't do anything to clear it

Game 2: Topped Gateway and spammed for game

Game 3: Managed to drop Shi En and lock until it was gg

Side changes: -1 asceticism, -1 elder, -2 double edged, -1 six sam united
+1 rivalry +1 magatama +1 dark hole +2 chain disappearance

Round 6 (Wind-Ups) Game 1: Played against a guy who beat me at YCS Brighton. I got my hand looped and couldn't come back from there

Game 2: Beatdown with a combination of Grandmaster + Spirit and Rivalry

Game 3: Pretty tight game, in the end I kept beating down with Zanji and he eventually lost.

-1 elder, -1 asceticism, -2 united, -2 double-edged, -1 magatama
+2 rivalry, +2 maxx, +2 chain disappearance, +1 cyber dragon [/spoiler]

[b][u]Thoughts on the Deck:[/u][/b]

[spoiler]

[u]Monsters:[/u]

Most of the Samurai stuff is pretty standard. I think that Spirit and Zanji were very effective, the former won me several games because Shi En + Spirit is near impossible to stop and not only gets you pluses when it destroys by battle but also forces the opponent to commit a lot to get rid of it, which leaves them susceptible for a counterattack. Zanji was effective at dealing with Reapers and Gorz but also won me a couple of games by just beating down for game.

Effect Veiler was the MVP of the day. Considering I didn't play anything outside of the top 3 I really needed to have those Veilers in my hand as much as I could, which thankfully happened. I would have lost my Wind-Up games if I didn't have it and it certainly helped against Rabbit. Amazing card.

[u]Spells:[/u]

Again, most of the Spells are standard. I didn't run a Dojo build because it has very poor utility across the entire game and, in my opinion, doesn't add that much to the deck. The deck can already juggle aggressive pushes with more conservative beatdown locks for game, Dojo just hasn't got that flexibility that I'm after.

Chalice has really helped me before but I didn't see it much. It won me the first game of Round 4 but that's about all I saw of it. I know from previous experiences though that it is very good, especially if people continue to maindeck Reapers and Snowman Eaters.

[u]Traps:[/u]

I think that 3 Double-Edged worked out really well, it just allowed me to put the damage on the board that I needed to get game on so many occasions. With Maxx relegated to the side it definitely puts in a lot of work. I don't regret not maining Fiendish Chain, even though around a month ago I would swear that 3 is absolute staple. I didn't need it at all.

[u]Extra:[/u]

The Extra Deck was pretty much standard, I put Roach in to try and help against Dragons but there were none there so it didn't see any play.

[u]Side:[/u]

I never really sided more than 1 Cyber Dragon at a time but I didn't play Heroes, which is what the second one would be for. Crow also never saw play because I didn't need it against Inzektors and no one was playing Dark Worlds. Maxx helped out against Wind-Ups, although it did nothing against the Beast variant. Dark Hole also pretty much won me the first round and helped in other situations.

Chain Disappearance is really good against Rabbit with no priority so it hits all of the Top 3. I only used it once today though against Wind-Ups, the other time I had it was it Round 6 but it got MST'd before I could use it. Magatama helped a bit against Rabbit but again it really was there for Heroes. Rivalry was amazing against Wind-Ups, singlehandedly won me a couple of games. Shadow-Imprisoning also never saw play. [/spoiler]

[b][u]Changes to the Deck:[/u][/b]

[spoiler]
If I was to make any changes to the deck then I would probably do the following:

-1 Chalice
+1 Book

I really wanna test out Book with the priority amendment, using it on a Rabbit/Rat/Zenmaity is pretty hot.

-1 Roach
+1 Maestroke

Dragons aren't much of a threat without priority in my opinion, although I'd have to test Maestroke to see if it's any better.

-1 Cyber Dragon
-1 D.D. Crow
-1 Chain Disappearance
-1 Magatama

+2 Forbidden Chalice
+2 Bottomless

Bottomless is really, really good now that priority is gone. It is pretty effective against everything other than Inzektors, so I definitely wanna try it out in the side. Chalice is also something that I'd like to side even if I don't main it because people will still side Snowman/Reaper (heck one guy sided Kinetics) and I wanna be prepared. [/spoiler]

Pros:
-Topped the second Regs I've ever been to
-Qualified for Euros
-Topped with a rogue deck in an event filled with the big 3
-Got some decent trades and the trip basically paid for itself
-Had a great day out with friends
-Only used Gateway twice :P

Cons:
-Fucked it up when I seriously think I would've won the whole thing by being an idiot with sleeves
-Got referred to as a Samurai scrub...by the people who I beat.
  • Upvote 20

biki    567
I saw you get the gameloss against zikale; sucks man. I saw your face all like awww fuck haha but good job on the top!

harig07    2058
[quote name='JackNBox' timestamp='1335705109' post='3167623']
Love the tokens ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='Teemo' timestamp='1335708203' post='3167642']
I like the tokens.

Good job on topping.
[/quote]

Thanks, don't really use them much now but always have them with me.

[quote name='biki' timestamp='1335707636' post='3167637']
I saw you get the gameloss against zikale; sucks man. I saw your face all like awww fuck haha but good job on the top!
[/quote]

Yeah I got no one to blame but myself, probably would've lost that game anyway :)

+Urthor    10227
Fantastic report, great deck analysis as well. There is a slight downside to Shien sleeves in that you actually tell your opponent your deck G1. Shien sleeves+another deck type=pro mindfuckery, shien sleeves with sams=telegraphing.

Morleh    1143
[quote name='Urthor' timestamp='1335710165' post='3167652']
Fantastic report, great deck analysis as well. There is a slight downside to Shien sleeves in that you actually tell your opponent your deck G1. Shien sleeves+another deck type=pro mindfuckery, shien sleeves with sams=telegraphing.
[/quote]

Well, to an extent. Sleeves are just sleeves, and many (okay, fine, some) do have the mindset of "Shi En sleeves+Six Sam mat? Could be a [i]non[/i]-Six Sam deck." Besides, the sleeves look nice. :P

Anyways, good job, Harig! :) Don't be so hard on yourself, though. Just don't make the mistake again, and remember that THEY'RE JUST SLEEVES! :D

Teemo    0
Also nice to see a six sam build that's running more then 1 DEST. I've seen so many builds only running a single copy.

harig07    2058
[/quote]

Yeah I get that, with Sams though I'm always going to drop a Sam related card immediately so very quickly on into the duel they'll know what I'm playing. I honestly wasn't concerned, if I do go to Euros though I'd use my Zexal sleeves.

When I use the Ninja mat and Sam sleeves...that's when minds get fucked

[quote name='Morleh' timestamp='1335712042' post='3167673']
[/quote]

Well, to an extent. Sleeves are just sleeves, and many (okay, fine, some) do have the mindset of "Shi En sleeves+Six Sam mat? Could be a [i]non[/i]-Six Sam deck." Besides, the sleeves look nice. :P

Anyways, good job, Harig! :) Don't be so hard on yourself, though. Just don't make the mistake again, and remember that THEY'RE JUST SLEEVES! :D
[/quote]

Haha thanks man :)

harig07    2058
[quote name='atem16' timestamp='1335712715' post='3167688']
How was hand w/o ignition prio?
[/quote]

Never really found that it made a difference, although it does make it theoretically weaker considering that it can't Tribute itself straight away to kill something.

atem16    283
What do u think about -hand +a grandmaster I know there would be times where you'll have a dead grandmaster but I sometimes find the 2nd one needed because of bottomless becoming popular again n all

harig07    2058
Hand is so useful, it lets you get rid of any big shit and in instances where you don't have Shi En it means you can play the beatdown game a lot easier, as you effectively have a way to kill anything that poses a threat. I think 2 Grandmaster is alright, 1 has been good for me and I've never found the need for 2, also I don't see Bottomless as a real threat to the deck considering the fact that it does nothing to Shi En, but by all means try it.

harig07    2058
[quote name='Teemo' timestamp='1335712472' post='3167682']
Also nice to see a six sam build that's running more then 1 DEST. I've seen so many builds only running a single copy.
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply I didn't see your comment. I've always been back and forth between how many DEST's I run, for example I ran 3 at YCS Brighton, dropped to 1 immediately thereafter and then put the number back up to 3 around 2 weeks ago. I'm definitely comfortable with multiple copies, it's one of the best cards in the deck and helps a lot if you get hit early on by a Warning or a TT, without it those kind of plays can just end the game for you.

dexer008    805
[quote name='harig07' timestamp='1335734031' post='3167953']
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply I didn't see your comment. I've always been back and forth between how many DEST's I run, for example I ran 3 at YCS Brighton, dropped to 1 immediately thereafter and then put the number back up to 3 around 2 weeks ago. I'm definitely comfortable with multiple copies, it's one of the best cards in the deck and helps a lot if you get hit early on by a Warning or a TT, without it those kind of plays can just end the game for you.
[/quote]

Why not run it at 2 if you couldn't decide? lol

+scuzzlebutt    23495
wait was this a 6-round regional?

harig07    2058
[quote name='Canadian' timestamp='1335744101' post='3168129']
What would you drop in the Extra when Excaliburs are out?
[/quote]

Wow, haven't even seen that card. That's a long way away, we have things like the Samurai Xyz coming out before then and it's anyone's guess what the format will look like by the time Excali comes out. As I said though, the 15th Extra Deck space which at the moment is Roach/Maestroke didn't really matter so probably that, could also maybe drop Stardust if you had to.

[quote name='dexer008' timestamp='1335743078' post='3168114']
[quote name='harig07' timestamp='1335734031' post='3167953']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why not run it at 2 if you couldn't decide? lol
[/quote]

I decided on 3 a couple of weeks ago and it worked out really well, played 2 up until then but the third really did help out a lot. That's how it's been since then.

[quote name='pojo_ftw' timestamp='1335742268' post='3168101']
I thinking about picking up sams. What was your toughest match during the Reg?
[/quote]

Definitely Inzektors, luckily the guy I played was never able to get his plays going cause I swarmed so quickly but it really is a tough matchup. Dark Worlds are hard too, hence why I sided 3 SIM to try and hit both.

[quote name='dennis frogman' timestamp='1335744157' post='3168131']
wait was this a 6-round regional?
[/quote]

It was indeed

yung Monet    2452
Why did you keep in chain dis going second against Rabbit? Also, I think going down to 0 D.D. is a really, really bad idea, I've been having a lot of trouble with Chaos Dragons and Inzektor. Although, Inzektor is a toss-up game 1, games 2 and 3 sorta feel like "I wonder who is going to draw their only out," sometimes. But gratz on the top! I'm glad to see this deck doing well, since I didn't play competitively during it's popular formats I've been trying to work with the deck a lot this format. Also, the Wind-Up/Beast deck you played round 4, did that guy write a report/post his list anywhere?

harig07    2058
[quote name='HolidayRaven' timestamp='1335807206' post='3168898']
Why did you keep in chain dis going second against Rabbit? Also, I think going down to 0 D.D. is a really, really bad idea, I've been having a lot of trouble with Chaos Dragons and Inzektor. Although, Inzektor is a toss-up game 1, games 2 and 3 sorta feel like "I wonder who is going to draw their only out," sometimes. But gratz on the top! I'm glad to see this deck doing well, since I didn't play competitively during it's popular formats I've been trying to work with the deck a lot this format. Also, the Wind-Up/Beast deck you played round 4, did that guy write a report/post his list anywhere?
[/quote]

They don't always draw the first turn Rabbit and even if they do Chain Dis still hits Tour Guide. Chaos Dragons get wrecked by Bottomless, which are now in the side, and I bumped Chalice up to 2 which helps against Inzektors, but it's still all being tested so if I don't like the amendments then Crow could easily go back in. Zikale didn't write a report for his deck I don't think, apparently it's almost identical to the one that topped a YCS earlier on in the format, he played Ape Fighters and stuff like that, but I'm not entirely sure.