harig07    2058
[img]http://www.sell2bbnovelties.com/Merchant2/yugioh/YU_GLASEN092.jpg[/img]

Destroy 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. Then, your opponent gains 1000 Life Points.

In decks like Wind-Ups and Rabbit people have looked to monster removal in Bottomless Trap Hole, Dimensional Prison and/or Smashing Ground in order to help them clear big threats off the board, as they have a hard time dealing with monsters who exceed 2500 ATK. Dragons, Dark Worlds and Heroes have the ability to put a huge amount of pressure on the board out of pretty much nothing: the former due to an abundance of Chaos monsters that can be dropped from the right graveyard requirement and two huge 2800 beaters that are recruitable by Eclipse Wyvern in REDMD and Dark Armed; the middle due to the ever-broken Grapha and the large variety of cards to get him into the graveyard; and the latter can toolbox huge beaters such as The Shining and Absolute Zero onto the field due to Miracle Fusion, can steal their opponent's monsters with Super Polymerization, have the ability to drop a Rank 4 from almost nowhere thanks to Bubbleman and present a constant 1800/1900 threat due to the recyclable Hero Blast/Spark engine.

With these three decks picking up huge steam, along with the upcoming Hieratics who can generate an OTK field in a single turn and with the omni-present Inzektors, who can clear your entire field if you lack adequate protection, a lot of decks are finding it difficult to deal with the new pressures presented by these strategies.

Smashing Ground has done the job for a while, and it's done it adequately too. A simple one-for-one that clears a big threat off the board and allows you to go in and counterattack is exactly what decks like Rabbit and Wind-Ups require. Soul Taker has a couple of niche advantages over Smashing though:

:) It can choose its target. This is pretty important, as you may not always want to hit the card with the biggest defence (say for example if your opponent controls a wall + another monster or has a Leviathan that you want to kill). Yes you can use your attack to try to alleviate the situation but sometimes the ability to just snipe a card and use your Battle Phase more productively can put you into a more advantageous situation than having to spend a turn playing around what they have or risking the chance that they have a Mirror Force/DPris face-down.

:) Light Pulsar and The Shining miss the timing if they're popped by this card, breaking the respective locks that the two can create. Smashing wouldn't be able to break the field in either of these scenarios.

:( 1000 lifepoints, the only obvious downside over Smashing, doesn't really mean anything in a format where pretty much every deck can deal 4k+ in a single turn without too much bother. The only real risk is that you make a dead Warning live.

:( You can get some targetting shenanigans where they chain Book/Compuls/Spark/Lance and save their monster whereas if they controlled multiple monsters Smashing would still at least pop something. Kinda situational but still a valid point.

tl;dr Is this viable over Smashing Ground in certain decks?
  • Upvote 27

August    280
Another small downside is that soul taker targets at activation so cards like compulsory, book of moon, gemini spark etc. can get around it when they have another monster unlike smashing ground. But still something to consider :)

Feb    34
I have seen multiple Soul takers in Austrian national this year so yeah... definitely a better choice over Smashing :D

xXGGnoReXx    239
Theres a bunch of people that are siding/maybemaining this for Philly over Smashing just for the fact it gets over Pulsar and Shinning and the fact that you actually get to pick what your targetting.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

harig07    2058
[quote name='August' timestamp='1337096750' post='3181447']
Another downside is that it targets at activation so cards like compulsory, book of moon, gemini spark, etc. can get around it when they have another monster unlike smashing ground.
[/quote]

Yeah that's definitely a downside, although if they control no monsters then all of what you just mentioned would be an out to Smashing as well. In a scenario where they control more monsters this is better most of the time, as you can select which card you want to destroy rather than being forced into the one with the higher defence, which isn't always favourable for you. Of course if they have Book/Compuls then Smashing's better but Book is at 1, most people don't play Compuls and Spark is one matchup where Soul Taker is actually better due to the Shining ruling so it's not a crucial thorn in Soul Taker's side.

[quote name='Feb' timestamp='1337096823' post='3181448']
I have seen multiple Soul takers in Austrian national this year so yeah... definitely a better choice over Smashing :D
[/quote]

That's interesting, I didn't know that it had seen play. Do you know what the players thought of it?

[quote name='xXGGnoReXx' timestamp='1337097153' post='3181450']
Theres a bunch of people that are siding/maybemaining this for Philly over Smashing just for the fact it gets over Pulsar and Shinning and the fact that you actually get to pick what your targetting.
[/quote]

That's more or less why I'm talking about it :P
  • Upvote 1

xXGGnoReXx    239
[quote name='harig07' timestamp='1337097170' post='3181451']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I know :P, it also helps prevent the ol'lolcothonsangan play that was annoying when it actually happened.

Feb    34
Sorry I'm not austrian :(

Here's the link of the uploader if anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/AAXxRUFFYxXAA?feature=watch
He uploaded many decks in top.

Unknown001    1345
[quote name='Ex_' timestamp='1336931737' post='3179506']
[u][b]Austrian Nationals 2012[/b][/u]

[u][b]Top 8 Deck List[/b][/u]

[url="http://event.amigo-spiele.de/2012/05/13/top8-decklisten/"]http://event.amigo-s...op8-decklisten/[/url]
[/quote]

harig07    2058
[quote name='Feb' timestamp='1337098051' post='3181467']
Sorry I'm not austrian :(

Here's the link of the uploader if anyone interested: [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/AAXxRUFFYxXAA?feature=watch"]http://www.youtube.c...A?feature=watch[/url]
He uploaded many decks in top.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, wish I understood what they were saying

[quote name='xXGGnoReXx' timestamp='1337097373' post='3181454']
[quote name='harig07' timestamp='1337097170' post='3181451']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I know :P, it also helps prevent the ol'lolcothonsangan play that was annoying when it actually happened.
[/quote]

Where you Smashing a guy with less than 600 DEF and they chain Call on Sangan? Sounds pretty dirt haha

[quote name='Unknown001' timestamp='1337098496' post='3181474']
[quote name='Ex_' timestamp='1336931737' post='3179506']
[u][b]Austrian Nationals 2012[/b][/u]

[u][b]Top 8 Deck List[/b][/u]

[url="http://event.amigo-spiele.de/2012/05/13/top8-decklisten/"]http://event.amigo-s...op8-decklisten/[/url]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hmm seemed fairly popular, interesting. Thanks for the link man.

Sanjura    6663
[quote name='harig07' timestamp='1337100227' post='3181497']
Read the OP
[/quote]

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh
  • Upvote 6

Handless    118
You had me at makes Shining/Pulsar miss timing.
  • Upvote 10

Canadian    701
I have been in the situation where my opponent had a Reaper and Sabersaurus on their field and I have game in my hand + smashing.

I couldn't get around reaper though because of the dino so I had to kill it than pop reaper in MP2 with smashing and end my turn. My opponent proceeded to finish me off next turn with a topdeck.

G Λ r Ω N    5934
I think this is to Philly/Nats what Gellenduo was to Long Beach.
  • Upvote 9

brotacular7    1574
i don't think anyones mentioned it, but its also really good in the case of inzektors that go t1 leviathan detach sangan set call. if you need to get the leviathan off the board, soul taker helps this

August    280
[quote name='brotacular7' timestamp='1337103296' post='3181536']
i don't think anyones mentioned it, but its also really good in the case of inzektors that go t1 leviathan detach sangan set call. if you need to get the leviathan off the board, soul taker helps this
[/quote]
Why would you side it against inzektors?

Rainy    13
You side it against Inzektor so they don't chain Call of the Haunted to retarget your Smashing Ground to their Sangan.
  • Downvote 6

harig07    2058
[quote name='August' timestamp='1337114286' post='3181684']
[quote name='brotacular7' timestamp='1337103296' post='3181536']
[/quote]
Why would you side it against inzektors?
[/quote]

Most Rabbit/Wind-Up builds main Smashing so if this would be used over Smashing then it would be in the main on those decks, so he's just saying if you came across Inzektors then it has an advantage over Smashing in that you don't minus yourself from the Leviathan-Call play.

August    280
[quote name='Rainy' timestamp='1337116690' post='3181711']
You side it against Inzektor so they don't chain Call of the Haunted to retarget your Smashing Ground to their Sangan.
[/quote]
I can't tell if you are serious but smashing ground and soul taker are both terrible against inzektors..

Rainy    13
[quote name='August' timestamp='1337117726' post='3181725']
[quote name='Rainy' timestamp='1337116690' post='3181711']
[/quote]
I can't tell if you are serious but smashing ground and soul taker are both terrible against inzektors..
[/quote]

What Harig said. I'd also rather have Soul Taker than a Dimensional Prison because it would at least be usable. At least you can side it and not have it be useless? Something like that.
  • Downvote 1

Zet    385
Not to mention this stops Utopia Ray comebacks.
  • Upvote 13

harig07    2058
[quote name='G Λ r Ω N' timestamp='1337102973' post='3181532']
I think this is to Philly/Nats what Gellenduo was to Long Beach.
[/quote]

I think you were right :P

»infinite    2317
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9v6iXIo88ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mainestroke    317
The card has completely replaced Smashing Ground. Iirc, smashing ground was better in matches where a single (usually controlling) big monster was alone on the field, or accompanied by less problematic monster. It was also really viable for the formats in which Book of moon was at 3, so smashing would often guarantee being a 141 in those scenarios (when you;d smashing and they'd book one of their 2 or more monsters.)

This format however, presents boards consisting of a problematic card (Lightpulsar/Theshining/Dolkka) along with a smaller/bit-bigger less annoying one (REDMD/Stratos/Gorz, respectively to each card mentioned). In addition to this, the lone fact that Soultaker causes lightpulsar/shining to miss timing is enough to replace smashing.

Life points are only relevant (most cases) until they reach 0.

And against decks like HeroBeat, using it against their Shining really cripples their momentum, as they NEED to recover those alius to make heroblasts, sparks, and remaining miracles live.
Against ChaosDrg, a timely soultaker on their Pulsar(while they have a relatively weak hand) spells doom for them. they lose an entire play by already removing a light and dark for that, and afterwards they either HAVE to pitch a L+D from their hand, or try to summon REDMD asap.

It also eliminates stuff like reaper, or dolkka/bounzer/bls? while they have a guy with more defense.

Idk about y;all, but Soultaker is very similar to Dark Bribe in the sense that you're giving them "advantage/extraturns" in return of you holding them with an iron grip that will most likely win you the game 1 or 2 turns from the moment you play it.

Soultaker 2012.