Metal Gear Salad

if you're new to the pokemon tcg look here

UPDATED FEBRUARY 2013

pokemon shits on anything you've ever learned about card advantage in yugioh (mostly). there's also time to set up intricate locks that'll take you literally 3 prizes behind but still allow you to claw back and win. it's a whole new game, and far more fun than yugioh imo. techs are actually important cos you can dig for them with specific search cards, and generally you can see all of your cards if you want to. anyway, enough chit chat, it's an easy enough game to understand; there's a nice little intro video on the official tcg site that gives a nice simple tutorial on to how to play the game.

itt i'll only be summing up the competitive scene. if you want casual play, buy a starter deck or draft at your locals, it'll still be hella fun.

(lists credited to heytrainer.org and it's members).

Speed Darkrai

[spoiler]

3 darkrai ex

3 sableye

1 keldeo ex

4 professor juniper

4 skyla

4 n

4 dark patch

4 pokemon catcher

4 energy switch

4 ultra ball

4 hypnotoxic laser
3 dark claw

2 random receiver

1 energy search

1 switch

1 computer search

2 virbank city gym

11 darkness energy

[/spoiler]

the idea of this deck is to hit hard, fast and consistently. play for the t1 computer search followed by junk hunt which in turn will 99% guarantee the t2 night spear. not only will this probably get you a knock out, but it'll also hit a nice 30 to an EX on the bench. night spear + dark claw + virbank + laser is another knockout on mewtwo/keldo/anything really. don't worry about eviolites, most things will be getting knocked out by poison so terrakion retaliate isn't that much of a big deal any more. not to mention terrak can be one hit by the above combo without the snipe damage. keldeo is there to avoid opposing laser sleep, do some cool dark patch combos plus sort of helpful if you have a shit start vs landorus EX.

keldeo blastoise

[spoiler]

4-0-3 Blastoise
3 Keldeo EX
2 Black Kyurem EX

4 Juniper
4 Skyla
2 Colress
1 N
1 Bianca
1 Cilan

4 Catcher
4 Ultra Ball
4 Energy Retreival
4 Candy
1 Energy Search
1 Computer Search
1 Bicycle

2 Tropical Beach

12 Water
2 Lightning[/spoiler]

keldeo is evolving to take on EXs in one hit for far less energy. some people like the idea of black kyurem, others don't, but at 200 damage a shot, it's pretty insane. idea is to get a beach up asap as you won't be attacking til you get a blastoise. then you just rain down energy onto kyurem and keldeo and sweep. t2 blastoise starts are incredible and pretty much give you the win. it's a very herpy deck but skilled players definitely stand out compared to the luck sackers.

klingklang

[spoiler]

4 klink (3 retreat)
1 klang
3 klinklang (plasma)
1 klinklang (shift gears)
3 cobalion EX
1 cobalion NV
1 Registeel EX

35 TRAINER
4 juniper
4 n
4 skyla
2 tropical beach
4 pokemon catcher
4 rare candy
3 ultra ball
3 heavy ball
2 switch
2 escape rope
1 max potion
1 super rod
1 computer search

11 metal[/spoiler]

this is a bitch of a deck to face but incredible to play if you like control. plasma kk shuts off any EX damage against your metal type pokes. shift gear kk lets you move energy around freely. paired with cobalions, this deck is brutal. you tank either with no damage or if you somehow do get hurt, heal it off with max potion and shift gears. difficult to set up but once you do, it's an incredibly easy win.

rayquaza eels

[spoiler]

4-4 Eel
3 Rayquaza EX
2 Emolga
1 Keldeo EX
1 Victini

4 Juniper
4 N
2 Colress
2 Skyla
2 Bianca
3 Ultra Ball
2 Super Rod
3 Level Ball
3 Switch
2 Skyarrow Bridge
1 Dowsing Machine
3 Catcher
1 Energy Switch
1 Tool Scrapper

4 Fire 

8 Lightning[/spoiler]

thought by many to have died after the release of plasma gale, somehow this deck just keeps on winning. the ability to ohko everything in the format is just too good to give up obv. coupled with the ability to sneak by klingklang relatively unharmed makes it a great deck too. set up eels, dynamotor onto your pokes and attack hard and consistently. keldeo allows you to essentially dynamotor to the active, victini blends perfectly with the existing energy to take on kk and emolga is there to push out 4 tynamo asap, as well as resist landorus.

if you wanna test online, head over to bebessearch.com and build your deck there. next, sign up to playtcg.com and start playing online. most randoms are fucking awful so it's ideal if you play with friends. it's very similar to yvd. the only thing i suggest is that you organise your hand better, cards get stuck behind other cards and you can barely see them, if at all. it's great for testing and a necessity for anyone serious about getting into the tcg (unless you're fortunate to have a league nearby).

there's the official pokemon tcg online (PTCGO) that requires cards to play (you get a digital pack free with every irl pack) and everything is fully automated. the program is so nice to play and really shits all over playtcg. i've even gone out of my way to BUY codes alone to buy online packs cos they're 10-20p each and well worth it. there's trading, friend matches and just regular public play, and the userface is so easy to interact with it's just a pleasure to use.

another thing you'll notice is the amount of pride most pokemon players have. as generally the format degrades into r/p/s formats, deckbuilding is seen as having just as much skill, if not more, as playing the game. this means that unless the winners are incredibly generous, tournament winning/topping decklists are rarely found online. they are shared within the top % of players, but sometimes they leak. either way, your best bet is to take a skeleton list and customise it how you want to, that's all they did!

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1

ATJdragon    967
for now id just say darkrai variants, the free retreat ability of darkrai and the speed of dark patch opens alot of doors

other than that, good summary

yeah i'm just going by what i've personally tested, it seems the better variant but i'm sure something else will pop up too.

~Deadborder~    5156
Is Durant still okay? I found it cool that Pokemon finally got a mill deck but I dunno how viable it is anymore.

ATJdragon    967
i always thought durant was a joke. if you have a playable hand, play solid and use as few cards as possible youll beat durant (ive never lost to durant during a tournament). pokemon players like to use as many cards as possible so theyll use an early juniper and thin their deck by 7 cards (2 turns for durant) and blame durant for being 'too cheap' when they lose by a turn or 2.

BigZ    7
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]I have been testing with some of the best in the north east and can allow some insight from a new player that is now implanted.

1. The community is AMAZING (besides 1 thing)

I walked into a tournament without a complete deck and literally a guy GAVE me cards to finish it. After the tournament he said, "I've got plenty of them, they're yours now." The entire community is like that. Just be yourself, or a nice person if your regular self isn't, and you'll make friends very quickly.

2. Making Money[/size][/font]
BUT BE WARNED. With that amazing community comes a protection/closeness. They do look after their own, and trolls or scammers are isolated like Tom Hanks in cast away. People know prices and the only money to be made from the game is to buy things at price and make them good... Or rip off little kids... However this is more hawkeyed protected then it is in YGO. The stock market is a huge thing for Pokemon and if you can predict what is going to be good, you can make quite a bit of money like that. Also, troll and toad pays .055 cents per COMMON, so racking up commons from winning boxes or buying off of players can net you money pretty quickly.

3. Decklists (THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POKEMON AND YUGIOH!!!)

[font="times new roman, times, serif"][size=3]Decklists are SACRED in Pokemon, with the ability to use 4 of each card and no limited list means there's alot more variance in what to run in any given deck. Also, there are more cards in the deck AND waaay more potent draw cards, so access to nearly everything in your deck is very much a thing. With this comes a LOCKDOWN on any good deck lists and selling a good decklist is very much a thing (see sixprizes.com). Leaching off a good player is kinda your best option until you can make your own lists, and getting in with a good testing group can prove to be difficult. I was lucky enough to befriend one of the top 10 players in the country and is now a good friend of mine. We bounce ideas off each other. (Do not ask for tech or ideas from me thought...)

But yeah, although the community is friendly, they won't let you look at their lists, and it's fairly easy to make money, just not in the typical YGO way.

If you have any questions or would like to test on Playtcg.com defs feel free to hit me up. I don't mind talking some "theorymons" with new players. It's a tough game to crack into unless you have a little hand to help you on.[/size][/font]
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='Deadborder' timestamp='1337819051' post='3189125']
Is Durant still okay? I found it cool that Pokemon finally got a mill deck but I dunno how viable it is anymore.
[/quote]
it's definitely dying down from the hype [url="http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/66/HeatmorDarkExplorers19.jpg/428px-HeatmorDarkExplorers19.jpg"]heatmor[/url]'s getting. splashable answer to beat the whole deck. but as atj said it's still fairly simple to beat anyway, just play correctly and you'll still win. durant get's 75% of it's wins from people who won't play against it properly or panic too much. i wouldn't call it a joke deck as it's still a good deck, but so many people know how to outplay it and now with heatmor, it'll see a lot less play.

[quote name='r3skyline' timestamp='1345342818' post='3259063']
should point people to HT?
[/quote]
Lists are credited to HT (as already stated) as the sample decks are taken from the format deck dump. To the complete Pokemon newbie, however, they don't make a lot of sense by themselves hence a brief summary is provided.

I'm not exactly what you're saying, are you saying I'm not crediting HT? I should forward people there? Should you go there for more tips? Full sentences work wonders.

r3skyline    5
Was wondering if we should just shift people who are wanting information/a more... active community in pokemon to heytrainer. The pokemon section here is kinda dead whereas some of the top people in pokemon are at HT.

wow i sounded cranky, sorry mate. yeah, we could redirect, but i think ash wants to try and vitalise the pokemon section here too. i'm thinking something similar to the sc2 tournament, a dgz playtcg tournament with swiss rounds going to top 2/4/8, depending on entrant, possibly with a cash prize.

+Gojira    1706

Didn't really know where to post this and didn't want to make a thread. I'm trying to buy tropical beaches, but apparently some of them are not legal for tournament play. Which ones are these and how do i find the ones that are legal for tournament play?

ThatOneGuy    2005

Do you just mean the rules and fundamental mechanics? Because you can probably learn those from people at your locals more quickly than an online forum.

If you actually mean how to play optimally, I can try giving a brief answer to that.

ThatOneGuy    2005

I'll try breaking down the concepts I've picked up on then.

I think the best way to describe Pokemon is somewhat like Chess.  You're most rewarded for planning and being prepared turns in advance and managing all of the resources available to you.  One of the more obvious things is noticing signals from your opponent, such as the energies they play telling you which mons they're trying to set up with next.  A big thing to be aware of isn't just what your opponent is doing in the current turn but also what they can do on the next turn depending on how you play out your own.  You'll run into a few situations where you're just sacrificing mons to keep setting up your next big play (like sacrificial pawns) or just leaving a beefy mons in the active to stall because your opponent simply cannot knock it out unless they want to lose to what you have coming up next.  As far as signals go, there's also the fact that with all the searching and drawing in this game, a lot of turns can feel very predictable and formulaic.  This makes deviations pretty obvious, which then means spotting a weak hand or board position becomes pretty obvious.

Also on that note about searching and drawing, this game has an absurd amount of it.  Miles more than any game I've played, including FoW and Yugioh (thankfully, Pokemon doesn't have its own Alice's World).  The point here is that being aware of the contents of your deck is very important.  Stalling the game until someone either runs out of resources or cards in deck is a real strategy, so you have to keep track of not only what's on the board and in your hand but also your deck and, if possible, even your prizes.  As far as prizes go, if you weren't already aware of this trick, the first time in a game when you have any kind of search effect, try scanning through your deck a few times to figure out what you have prized and plan some of your decisions later in the game around that.

Last point is suited towards card games in general, which is just related to managing the limited resources you have each turn.  One energy per turn is similar to one land drop per turn from Magic.  One supporter per turn is similar to the hoards of once per turn cards in Yugioh.  Get as much value out of these as you can and make sure you properly sequence plays.  For example, being aware of the tradeoff between playing an energy before using something like Sycamore (discard your hand and draw 7) or hoping you hit a better energy off of it could make or break a turn.  A bigger concept to explore here would be some number crunching, but I'll hold off on that for now.

Hopefully, some of this is helpful.

• Upvote 5

»JC.    4858

I played back in like March '15 for a little bit with Night March and Wobbufett/Zubat. Is there a 1-1 replacement to Versatile Mew-EX and Colress, or should I try finding other replacements? Did Night March come out up or down with losing Mew on one hand but getting a Trump Card ban on the other?

ThatOneGuy    2005
On 8/11/2016 at 8:12 PM, Pengwan said:

We lose a lot of the culprits that made Standard very gross at times such as Night Marchers, Seismitoad EX, Trevenant, and Battle Compressor. This frees up a lot of room for innovation at the top since there is no clear cut best deck in the game with the loss of Night March.

Pengwan kinda gives away the answer about Night March.

Nothing's really replaced Mew EX in terms of flexibility but Shaymin EX has taken its place as a splashable mons.  The closest thing to Colress we have now would probably be N, although that's not quite as strong.

»JC.    4858

I think my problem is not knowing how to play it anymore. With Mew I could use the easy Double Colorless on it and have not a 30 HP active pokemon, whereas Pumpkaboo requires 3 energies which is much more painful to do. I might just need more practice.

edit: i forgot I had a Lucario EX deck lying around since it got kicked out of Expanded apparently. I need to replace the Donphan core. The best thing I can remember is Omega Barrage Medicham having just come out. Would it be any good?

edit2: I just saw Audino EX has Do the Wave! That deck was really fun in the first couple of sets, is Do the Wave still a viable deck? I remember a Raichu has it too.

ThatOneGuy    2005

The Medicham's kinda cute but it doesn't really do enough.  90 HP with no resistances means it gets OHKO'ed by the majority of the meta, and its attack doesn't do enough damage since it doesn't apply weakness.  You'll mainly be relying on support cards, Fury Belt and Strong Energy, to get there with it.