PC Moondrop

Maybe I'm just not patient enough, but I may need help!

PC Moondrop    24
So I have been going back to the gym for at least a good 2 months soo far, and I do a pretty decent back and bicep workout with a chest workout the day after, switching each routine every other day. As I do this, I incorporate core workouts for my abdomen, and oblique exercises because my body has always frustrated me about this one variable and it has been my lower stomach. ( Belly button region )

I have my body in pretty good shape soo far ( from what people tell me too ) and my upper abs can be shaped out pretty nicely but I can never seem to decrease my stomach fat on my lower body between my pelvic region for some reason and I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I could fix. I usually do a good amount of leg raises, 4 sets of 25. Then do oblique curls cause my gym has them, 20 on each side. And do push ups and usually eat at least less than 1500 calories a day ( I don't know if this is bad or good, I just eat when my body wants me to eat ).

All in all, I feel like I need pointers. So I ask DGZ, what do? Or what I do wrong?

+rei+    34669
Do more cardio.

weigh your food, make sure it really is 1500 calories a day

Lower carbohydrate intake, expand protien intake (less bread, more eggs).

What is your actual height/weight?

PC Moondrop    24
Height 5,10

Weight 149 lbs

More cardio seems vague to me, so what would you mean by that. I have people say run after you workout for cardio, I use a treadmill for maybe 5 minutes pre work out, and 10 minutes post workout for running.

JackNBox    616
Yeah like rei said, more cardio.

Cardio burns fat. Leg raises and curls and all that are good for building and defining muscles, but they won't burn fat like cardio does.

What you will notice if you keep doing the stuff you're doing at the moment, and also start doing the cardio, is that when the fat does drop off, you'll see the good work that you've been doing on the muscles underneath.

Edit:

Five and ten minute cardio sessions won't accomplish a lot, if you're trying to lose weight. That's barely enough time to break a sweat.

Personally, I try and do 3/4 half hour runs a week, and play soccer or tag rugby or something another once or twice.
  • Downvote 1

PC Moondrop    24
Yeah I notice always on my upper ab and chest, which is why it confuses me, cause I'm sure I try working out all parts of my abdomen but I still always have a flabby stomach.

JackNBox    616
Fat covers muscle. You won't see the muscle gains until you lose the fat. Naturally there're just less fatty areas on you upper ab and chest, so it's much easier to see gains there.

For fast fat loss on your stomach, do a lot more running. I find road running works better than treadmill but people are different. Bicycles won't help you burn fat as fast as running. You want cardio that's moving your entire body and not just your legs.
  • Downvote 1

PC Moondrop    24
Hmm fair enough, what do you think is a good running amount for someone that runs a little over a mile a day? Like mile wise.

bobflet    68
Stomach fat is the hardest to lose. However, by no means does is there a way to create fat loss from certain areas - spot reduction as they would call it. With your height and weight you already seem pretty lean. If you are looking to continue building muscle but look cut at the end, I'd suggest a few more months of hard training to bulk up a bit more, and then enter a cutting phase which is more cardio oriented and you'll eat less carbs etc.

If you're just looking to stay where you're at and get more definition, I'd suggest doing some high intensity cardio, like sprints and whatnot (2:1 rest-work ratios, ex: 30 second sprint with 1 minute rest). Long distance running is good to start out with, but as your body gets used to it, there won't be much impact upon your physique.

+rei+    34669
Google HIIT.

But seriously just do 30 min-an hour of cardio on off days and see how that effects. If not, HIIT.

Carl    84
Your body isn't going to improve unless you force it to improve. You need to clean up your diet and add resistance to your ab and oblique exercises. Doing the same workout every time you hit the gym is going to give out on you after a little while.

N e J i    902
Cardio isn't good for local fat. I recommend doing a HIIT workout, with bars and free weights.

Also, watch your calorie intake. Stay away from carbs. Lean meat + veggies + fruit (don't abuse fruit though it has sugars).
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+rei+    34669
[quote name='N e J i' timestamp='1337857191' post='3189492']
Cardio isn't good for local fat. I recommend doing a HIIT workout, \
[/quote]
HERP DERP

Also local fat targeting doesn't work regardless. Seriously -glances around for bodan- ... dyel? ; )

No really, please do not make uneducated statements again.
[SPOILER: HIIT is cardio]
  • Upvote 1

Carl    84
Neji is talking about a superset workout, like Crossfit style.

+rei+    34669
Even then, HIIT is cardio by its very nature (straddling the anaerobic threshold), and actual fat loss cannot be targeted (the closest you can focus is muscle development and that does not automatically reduce fat from that area), so his post still fails.
  • Downvote 2

N e J i    902
[quote name='rei' timestamp='1337865568' post='3189512']
Even then, HIIT is cardio by its very nature (straddling the anaerobic threshold), and actual fat loss cannot be targeted (the closest you can focus is muscle development and that does not automatically reduce fat from that area), so his post still fails.
[/quote]
You twisted my words. I never said he should target a specific area, what I said was that cardio exercises (as commonly used in this forum - running or biking) are not enough to burn local fat. Yes, you'll lose a lot of weight but it's not enough for that last belly fat.

So I recommended him to use weights in his HIIT routine in order for it to be as complete as possible - target ALL the muscles and not a specific one as you claimed I said.

Your post fails because you rushed into being a smart ass instead of actually thinking about what I said.
  • Upvote 1

Carl    84
Muscle displaces fat, that's all. You're right.

Carl    84
Neji, you said "Cardio isn't good for local fat - do HIIT lifting routine" which is a contradictory statement.
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34669
[quote name='N e J i' timestamp='1337866408' post='3189521']
[quote name='rei' timestamp='1337865568' post='3189512']
[/quote]
You twisted my words. I never said he should target a specific area, what I said was that cardio exercises (as commonly used in this forum - running or biking) are not enough to burn local fat. Yes, you'll lose a lot of weight but it's not enough for that last belly fat.

So I recommended him to use weights in his HIIT routine in order for it to be as complete as possible - target ALL the muscles and not a specific one as you claimed I said.

Your post fails because you rushed into being a smart ass instead of actually thinking about what I said.
[/quote]
Targeted fat reduction is still impossible, and your phrasing was made of such fail I made the appropriate conclusion.

"Yes, you'll lose a lot of weight but it's not enough for that last belly fat."
its shit like this that just sounds fucking stupid. Waterweight notwithstanding, it's generally a good idea to use the most effective means of eliminating fat to... er... eliminate fat.

N e J i    902
Ok. When I said that I was under the assumption that everyone would understand "cardio" as what is usually taken as cardio exercises - running or biking. Granted that was a flawed assumption.

+rei+    34669
Yeah most of us know what we're talking about and take cardio as, well, cardio. While a weight-focused regime is probably faster and better however, I don't think if he HIITs on a bike or running it'll necessarily be detrimental to his goals, depends on how developed his abs already are. And it might be easier to just continue his schedule (though increase resistance as Carl suggested) and add cardio on off days than it is to modify a routine entirely to focus on a more cardio-focused lifting regime.