Sign in to follow this  
Max

Abandoned Vehicle Title

Max    430
So I'm buying another 300Z just like mine that this woman has sitting in her garage. She says her ex boyfriend left it there 3 years ago and she hasn't seen him since. She claims to have made several attempts to contact him through email and has never been able to get a hold of him to come pick it up; no one knows where he lives (although presumably somewhere in my city). She goes on to say he's a real bad alcoholic and that if I could somehow track him down he would probably sell me the title for a couple hundred bucks. everything's real legit and the story is backed up by the fact that the car is full of old random shit and covered in dust. She just wants it gone.

Kentucky law says that a vehicle is only abandoned after being left on your property if you either:

A. send a certified letter to the owners address; wait 30 days
B. run an ad in the paper; wait 30 days

I'm buying the car on Monday at an insane price. I will run the ad in the paper and hope he doesn't see it or care, I'm sure I won't hear from him. My question is can I ever get a title for this car now and if so, what sort of title will it be? A junk title ? I've heard maybe there's something called an 'Abandoned title'? having trouble finding information on this online.

Model    864
Yes. What she should have done honestly is run the ad. All you have to do after getting the car is run the ad. I'm not 100% on all the details but you should just go up to your local DMV and ask the questions. It wouldn't take you long because you can just talk to someone at the front counter. I'm under the impression is you talk to them, run ad, wait 30 days, report back, obtain new title and pay for everything that it comes with.

Good luck, if it's twin turboed more power!

Max    430
neither is TT but I'm gonna flip this one and buy myself some turbos and rebuild my engine.

Model    864
Going to get the vg30dett?

Max    430
probably. with a little work I think I can flip this car. arctic white '94 300z all stock with damage to the front bumper and front quarter panel around the (busted) headlight area 170k miles. Needs a new battery.

If I'm gonna flip it, what do you think I should do to it first to increase the value ? keep in mind paint for this car is extremely expensive, I paid $300 for a pint to do the front bumper cover on mine.

Model    864
I would go ahead and replace the battery and the headlight. If you can go to a junkyardf and find a decent bumper/quarter panel for it grab it up. I would invest the money on the paint if it's in rough shape. Alteast match the bumper/QP to the rest of the car. How's the interior look? How much are you hoping to get out of her?

Max    430
Interior is actually in good condition. I'd liek to get $2500-$3k

Model    864
Hit me up on aim if you want or fb even. We can talk more numbers and I'll see if I can give you any other suggestions.

Hawkeye    365
At max you'd have $300-500 in it when you buy it. Considering the only thing wrong with it is the bumper, quarter panel and the head light, I don't see why you wouldn't replace everything and buy the paint. I wouldn't even try and flip it without fixing the body damage.

Max    430
the interior is in shit condition too. I just saw it in the daylight yesterday. also clutch and suspension are meh. I'll prob still buy it just for the engine, part out what I can, and then junk it.