• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Countertop Miracles

Legacy Format Discussion

350 posts in this topic

First off, I don't actually even know who andrew tenjum really is. Like, the name is vaguely familiar, but i couldn't tell you why other than he posts on dgz.

First off, I don't actually even know who andrew tenjum really is. Like, the name is vaguely familiar, but i couldn't tell you why other than he posts on dgz.

He's a huge SCG Open grinder. He was on the top 16 leaderboard for a while. Not sure how he's doing now though.

My apologies for not elaborating on my point.

My point is, unless if you have ALL basics, basic lands will be detrimental to your mana base, especially when you get Wastelanded. If you have Swamp and Tropical Island, your opponent will Wasteland your dual and you be cut off 2 colors. If that basic was another dual, you would only be cutting cut off 1 color. If you have a single non-basic in play, it will get Wastelanded and all your basics become fairly pointless. 

In the context of Shardless BUG, it's not practical to function off all basics. The color requirements are too strict:

Turn 1: U, B, and B/G hybrid

Turn 2: 1G, BB, and UB

Turn 3: 1UG, 1BB

Turn 4: 2UU

Contrast to a deck like Miracles, which can indeed function off all basics. This is also attributed to Miracles not needing to curve out. Basic lands are way better there.

Thinking about buying into the format on MTGO and looking to trade into the format IRL.

Curious what people's thoughts are on Jeskai Stoneblade post cruise. Seems like Dig still fits in the deck, but it may skew more control now than aggro.

On MTGO I think my only other alternative is playing Grixis control... and I just like stoneforge and plow better than the black cards... Any other deck is fairly cost prohibitive as wasteland, lilianna, and goyf are more than I am willing to drop on MTGO.

IRL I think that getting the Tundra/Volcanic/FoW give me access to Stoneblade, Delver (I have Wastelands) and Miracles (I have tops and stuff). So I think its a good call, plus Jeskai is my favorite color combo.

Just curious if people with more experience in the format have opinions as to if there is anything else I could do that is more cost efficient or just a better use of money atm? Obviously the Starcity today will tell me a little bit...

Also for what it is worth I have punishing Jund in legacy IRL since it doubles well in modern, but with the new bans I am basically gonna say Fuck modern and just keep my U/R decks (delver, twin, and Storm) for when I need to randomly play the format. I just feel like modern investments are risky where Legacy is never going to crash too much because wizards has shown they are not going to give up on the restricted list. So I am shipping my Bobs, Goyfs Lilis IRL for duals and FOW

Hi guys,

I mentioned earlier in the streaming thread that I was putting together a primer for Storm decks and now that I've edited it to a state of readability, I figured I'd put it out there to see what people thought of it. Idk how many people on DGZ play Legacy or have an interest in Storm combo, but I think it's a good general resource for anyone considering a Storm deck. It's also something I'll try to keep updating/editing over time, so if anyone has suggestions or critiques, I can get to that too. I will say in advance that it is a long read, and does cover things at a very basic level since it's intended for those new to Legacy/combo.

For those interested: https://t.co/XtTPoZHUuf

I don't know if any of you caught Eternal Weekend this weekend, but this pile somehow squeaked into Top 8 (Went X-1 in swiss, only losing the first round)

2 Jace TMS

3 Deceiver Exarch 

3 Pestermite

2 Snapcaster

2 Vendilion Clique

4 Ponder

3 DTT
4 Brainstorm

4 Lightning Bolt

4 FoW

2 Counterspell

1 Spell Snare

1 Pyroblast

1 EE

4 Splinter Twin

4 Volcanic Island

1 Tundra 

1 Plateau

4 Island

1 Mountain

9 Fetches

SB

2 Pyroblast

2 Wear/Tear

2 Sulfur Elemental

2 Flusterstorm

2 Ethersworn Cannonist

2 Misdirection

2 Relic of Progenitus

1 Izzet Staticaster

The event was won by 4 color Delver, but I think Lands and Omni-Tell were the most represented decks in the room (and top 32), but since I can't find the actual metagame breakdown that's probably anecdotal.

The event had I think 750 players. 

I mean I love me some twin but that's just gross lol

So I'm thinking of going to GP Seattle in Nov. Planning to use storm

Spell: 

4x Preordain
4x Dark ritual
4x Brainstorm
4x Cabal Ritual
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Infernal Tutor
3x Duress
3x Cabal Therapy
1x Ad Nauseam
1x Tendrils of Agony

Artifact:

4x Lotus Petal
4x Lion's Eye Diamond

Land:

4x Polluted Delta
1x Underground Sea
1x Volcanic Island
2x Island
4x Swamp

I have the deck except for the diamonds, delta, sea, and volcanic island. Can't afford spending extra on fetches and dual. 

Storm is the only legacy deck I'm comfortable with. Its really fun for me. Tried testing this build on cockatrice, but the program won't run for some reason. Planning to buy the remaining card and just practice at a lgs.

Does this build seems solid or do I need to shell a little bit more for couple more of fetches and dual? 

Re-install cockatrice to fix it

Abrupt Decay decks look good again since Dig is gone and 1 for 1 trades are gonna make Shardless Bug return imo.

Anyone going to GP Seattle in November? Looking to meet up with some other DGZers during the event.

I'll be there. Not sure what Im playing, but Ill be there.

en_2J71qRqfcb.png

curious what legacy players think of this card.

en_2J71qRqfcb.png

curious what legacy players think of this card.

5 is too much for a reactive card

Feels way too weak for legacy. Second mode does jack shit in general, and the combination of all modes is way too weak for such a overpriced spell in legacy. Try modern

I don't even know if standard would go crazy for it you need to get value out of the counter spell part first so counter spell then draw 2 is a good mode for sure and easily worth 5 mana, jaces ingenuity is fine we just had that last format, unsummon x3 is pathetic, unsummon x2 and draw a card is starting to look like a real magic card but looks more like a 4 drop for that part i legit think it would need to be at worse jace's ingenuity and or divination plus spell shrivel. Standard would of course play it but it wouldn't be format warping as much as jace, gideon, roc etc...

Modern has the 1 mana cheaper and more versatile Cryptic Command and it isn't even clear you want tons of those in the decks you want it in. Staying cheaper and more efficient vs. playing 1 big good card is a smoother way to operate in Modern due to the speed of the format.

I can't see how you would ever believe this card could be a real card in Legacy. If your spell costs 4 or more mana it has to have a specific purpose or be Jace. You can die to a variety of 3 drops like Show and Tell, Blood Moon and True Name Nemesis. It is unfathomable how you could see a 5 drop with that many mediocre effects tacked on useful in legacy.

the place i think it could be seen in modern would be in scapeshift, which really lacks a good board cleaner, tends to have pretty large amounts of lands floating anyways, and wants to be digging for scapeshift asap. When scapeshifting isn't on the agenda, this is a good "what else to do while waiting for shift"

So the current MOCS season format is Legacy. I want to compete, but I don't have a legacy deck, and have a limited budget. Dredge hasn't done anything recently, it's still a relatively fast combo deck, and most importantly, it's under 200 tix. Do you guys think it could be viable?

short answer is I wouldn't play it

Long answer is that the meta hasn't been favorable to dredge in a while. The favored combo decks are stuff that dredge has issues racing and isn't overly vulnerable to getting cabal'd out of the game, and the fair decks have a boatload of containment priests, deathrite shamans, bojuka bogs, and grafdiggers as hate against other decks that incidentally fucks over dredge. Reanimator and S+T being so popular right now is kinda bad for dredge, and drs being good is also bad.

I mean, it's always still a deck, and you can very easily get away with it, but i don't feel confident playing into a field like this.

I might be biased from the SCG this weekend... but I think Miracles is just the best deck in the format. You need to play a deck built to directly beat it while still having game vs. the field. Or just play it... I saw Miracles players dominating every matchup and rising to the top tables. Sure it only put 1 into top 8, but there were a TON at the top tables which you can see from the top 32 decklists. Its also not insanely expensive online... 

If you want the best option for the least tix. Storm. Not close. Top tier deck, probably the best combo deck atm and its like 400 tix?

In all honestly, miracles has been one of if not the best deck for a while. Everything post-khans, certainly, but even before then, it was up there.

At the 400-500 tix mark, you have elves, storm, miracles, infect, reanimator, aluren, jeskai stoneblade, a lot of solid choices there.

In all honestly, miracles has been one of if not the best deck for a while. Everything post-khans, certainly, but even before then, it was up there.

At the 400-500 tix mark, you have elves, storm, miracles, infect, reanimator, aluren, jeskai stoneblade, a lot of solid choices there.

Yeah, if 400 tix was in my budget, I wouldn't be having this problem XD. You made some good points about Dredge's position, so I'll be looking for something else. 

and now eldrazi take over legacy too.

grats to tenjum for being ahead of the curve on this one too

Congratulations Rodrigo that was very well played. His opponent had x2 force x3 fluster surgical snap and died, was very awesome.