Countertop Miracles

Legacy Format Discussion

Mutavault    2905

Jesus fuck that was so unfair Andrew was playing like a mad man too I thought he had it. Todd is a cool guy but Andrew's deck is a monster.

Azn_Boy    385

No, Todd is a huge prick irl.

o...he was chill in detroit thats disappointing :(

I've never met him in person, but I have a friend who stayed with a group of players in Cali for a weekend where Todd was one of them. Told me he was a huge douchebag.

Watching him play on stream a few times last year, there's something very smug about the way he carries himself, idk.

+Gojira    1707

What's the best deck for under $600? I was thinking instant-speed high tide, dredge, or maybe some other combo-ish deck.

While dredge feels like the most solid, I kind of wanted to go with the high tide since it would include force of wills and some fetchlands, which are good to have for later.

Mutavault    2905

What's the best deck for under $600? I was thinking instant-speed high tide, dredge, or maybe some other combo-ish deck.

While dredge feels like the most solid, I kind of wanted to go with the high tide since it would include force of wills and some fetchlands, which are good to have for later.

Prolly like Izzet Delver since its only 2 colors your land isn't gonna cost a fortune.

+ACP+    33896

Tin Fins for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mutavault    2905

Tin Fins for sure.

The lands would cost too much to run this to its full potential for a 600 budget don't you think?

+Gojira    1707

Tin Fins for sure.

Wait, how is that budget?

+ACP+    33896

2x Underground Sea = $280. You can easily get the rest of the deck for under $320.

+Gojira    1707

2x Underground Sea = $280. You can easily get the rest of the deck for under $320.

Your list would cost 1300

Sure, I don't have to get thoughtseizes, but without them, I"m going to get raped by FoW a lot.

Even with cheaper fetchlands, etc., I'm not seeing it.

Azn_Boy    385

$600 is not enough for a good legacy deck. You can make a really cheap burn deck for like $100 or build fish for around $700.

+Gojira    1707

Yeah, I can get fish for 700 and dredge for 550 or so.

I can play through deathrite and certain hate with dredge, but I hate the "do you have it" nature of g2+3. It has better recent results than fish, though, I think.

Edit: There's also this stupid Reset high tide deck I was looking at, as well as a Forgemaster deck, which is about $550.

After checking, Fish has been doing better than dredge, which has similar appearances to Forgemaster decks.

you can build burn. contrary to what ppl believe, killing people with burn in legacy consistently actually takes a lot of skill.

the deck is super cheap, all your lands are mountains. you don't even need to play fetches

+Gojira    1707

you can build burn. contrary to what ppl believe, killing people with burn in legacy consistently actually takes a lot of skill.

the deck is super cheap, all your lands are mountains. you don't even need to play fetches

It seems severely underpowered. 

It seems severely underpowered. 

you can also build it for 100 dollars or less. its underpowered compared to the rest of the format but its good and has the ability to win.

+Gojira    1707
Here's what I think I'm doing: (Some techs were removed) It's got everything I want pretty much except counterspells. Can lock the opponent out early with cost-changing effects (and some decks just can't beat a Wurm with shroud), has random turn 2 wins, is relatively consistent and doesn't mulligan badly, is relatively cheap, and has some tournament results. The version that mains 4 chalice might be better if combo is a huge thing, so I'll just switch between them when I need to.

Creatures: 21
1 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Goblin Welder
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Metalworker
1 Steel Hellkite
3 Wurmcoil Engine

Planeswalkers: 1
1 Karn Liberated

Spells: 18
3 Faithless Looting
4 Grim Monolith
2 Lightning Greaves
2 Mox Opal
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Staff of Domination
3 Trinisphere
2 Voltaic Key

Lands: 20
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Cavern of Souls
4 City of Traitors
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
2 Mountain

I've been playing a lot of matches on cockatrice against BUG, shardless BUG, RUG and American Delver, Lands, esper stoneblade, goblins, show and tell, Death and taxes, and dredge, with a very high win percentage (which is good because it's only cockatrice)

I almost want to run more than one staff of domination, because turn 2 infinite life/playing everything in hand is ridiculous.

+Gojira    1707

picked up forces this weekend for cheap mint.Debating on RUG Delver or Stoneblade.

Stoneblade. Delver is obviously good, but It's so linear...

picked up forces this weekend for cheap mint.Debating on RUG Delver or Stoneblade.

It also depends on what lands are easier to get for you. Unless you have all of them, which then you should play Deathblade

Mutavault    2905

Esper Blade is really difficult to play in my experience, you have every play available to you and have to know everything in legacy to succeed. More fun than Rug Delver where everything goes in a line.