• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Haruki

official goat format thread

3629 posts in this topic

I've never played Goat Format burn, but I've played so much chain burn that the shame sometimes keeps me awake at night, so maybe I can be helpful. Forgive me if my questions are nooby to everyone except me.

First of all, why only 2 Just Desserts and 2 Secret Barrel? Wouldn't you want to run the maximum of each? It's not like they clog, they're never useless unless you set 5 and block yourself out which is dumb.

Second, why run Sakuretsu instead of Waboku? I would think the same logic applies in every burn deck. Why would you run an unchainable card that weakens your Just Desserts and Secret Barrels and only stops one attack, over a chainable card that keeps your opponents field full for your burn cards and stops every attack for that turn? This is especially relevant considering you're also running Lava Golem which you want to keep alive for as long as possible. (As a side note I don't think you should be running Lava Golem at all)

Lastly I can't fathom how you're not even siding WMC. What are you going to do when your opponent sides in Decree + Jinzo? If you can't deal with it, you have no win condition. Imo you should be maining them because as others have said, enemy S/T removal is at its lowest in game 1. The card is just good, it puts slow decks on a timer and demands a response within a matter of turns unless they want to lose a chunk of their LP, which they really can't afford to do. Worst case scenario they get rid of it, and at least now they can't use that removal on Magic Cylinder / LLAB / Nightmare Wheel.

Edited by Goins

The answers to all your questions about why am I not playing card X in 3 copies are due to the conversion side. This is why I have a card like Sakuretsu in the main. I have to have exactly 15 cards in my main that I want to side out and exactly 25 cards in the main that I want to keep in. When we add more burn/stall cards, we are forced to keep the most palatable of these other cards in the deck after our conversion: that would be des koala first, and then stealth bird. I was trying to make a build where I didn't have to keep either of those monsters in after the conversion. Originally, I had 3 of each Barrel/Desserts/Ojama and did not main Sakuretsu. If the g1 burn proves to be too ineffective, I will likely change up the strategy again. But cutting 3 WMC is pretty key in terms of cutting down on cards, and I do believe it is an expendable, over-rated card in burn. I don't see how to make the deck work with 3 WMC, unless we want to keep them in after siding. For the conversion strategy I posted, every single burn card is removed expect for a lone copy of Magic Cylinder.

I'm not concerned about seeing Decree in game 2, in fact I expect it, and that's the whole point of the conversion strategy. I want my opponent to bring in Decree and play aggressively so I can hit them with tomato, creature swap, don zaloog, etc.

Petersylie's posts are really good. He makes some legitimate points about why my deck is less effective than a truly dedicated burn deck in this format. But it's really hard to get the conversion side right. It's a math problem. The deck I posted is something I mess around with for fun and to explore the theoretical limits of the format. I appreciate the replies.

14 hours ago, Skully said:

Have you tried CO burn instead? It sides easier. 

there was CO burn in Goat format?

I'm pretty late to the Thunder Dragon party, but I very vividly recall you being able to discard Thunder Dragon to search for 0. I was constantly playing against people on YVD  who would try to squeeze value out of Thunder Dragon with Card Destruction, Charity, PWWB, Raigeki Break, Tribe or just meta'ing it for a Balter. It didn't come up very often, but occasionally they would discard the last copy to exile for Chaos Sorcerer/BLS.

The bigger implication, as I recall, was when Pot of Avarice was released in Elemental Energy that people were discarding their last Thunder Dragon all the time to go to 5 monsters.

I actually remember the day they updated the site that Allen linked and sending my Thunder Dragon loving friend an AIM message telling him the bad news. 

@Jazz, why is llab better than MoP?   Tomato still blocks Tsuk,  anything else is a 1400 that is attacking a Tomato,  which is excellent. If they TER Tomato,  that means they didnt TER a Jar. 

In exchange,  Tsuk gets to do poke damage and try to break Faith locks. 

10 hours ago, Tom Brady said:

there was CO burn in Goat format?

The only card not legal is dimensional wall, 3 Skill Drain deals with TER. I have not built it for goat, but I assume the list would look similar to my newgioh CO burn deck.

8 hours ago, Library of Alexandria said:

I'm pretty late to the Thunder Dragon party, but I very vividly recall you being able to discard Thunder Dragon to search for 0. I was constantly playing against people on YVD  who would try to squeeze value out of Thunder Dragon with Card Destruction, Charity, PWWB, Raigeki Break, Tribe or just meta'ing it for a Balter. It didn't come up very often, but occasionally they would discard the last copy to exile for Chaos Sorcerer/BLS.

The bigger implication, as I recall, was when Pot of Avarice was released in Elemental Energy that people were discarding their last Thunder Dragon all the time to go to 5 monsters.

I actually remember the day they updated the site that Allen linked and sending my Thunder Dragon loving friend an AIM message telling him the bad news. 

p sure you could never do this

thunder dragon is for baddies n e way

1 minute ago, Mascis said:

p sure you could never do this

thunder dragon is for baddies n e way

the conclusion was that you can.

Yeah we literally have proof that you could do it.

GOAT VIDEO UPDATE: Got together with my testing partner last night. None of the footage we generated was good/usable, for a few reasons (one match might be useful later as a how not to play Goats, I played so bad) (we figured out how to tilt our hands so the GoPro could see them and then promptly stopped doing it after turn 2 in all our matches) so we'll be making another go of it within the next two weeks. We'll use some cardboard or something so our hands can go flat on the mat w/o the opponent being able to see them since we don't have the muscle memory to keep our hands tilted properly.

13 hours ago, Logic said:

@Jazz, why is llab better than MoP?   Tomato still blocks Tsuk,  anything else is a 1400 that is attacking a Tomato,  which is excellent. If they TER Tomato,  that means they didnt TER a Jar. 

In exchange,  Tsuk gets to do poke damage and try to break Faith locks. 

Actually, I hadn't thought much about it. I generally assume LLAB is better than MOP in a stall deck. But yeah I can see MoP being better given that I keep it in the deck after I conversion side. Thanks for the suggestion!

8 minutes ago, OD Superman said:

Anyone going to the ARG this weekend?

Thinking about it. You going to be there to play goats with me?

41 minutes ago, ACP said:

Thinking about it. You going to be there to play goats with me?

I plan on playing Pokemon, but will be there earlier and later than the event to play Goats with whoever is around. Lmk if you're around.

Something happened and Salvation works on my Mac now. If anybody ever wants to play PM me on the dgz discord.

Edited by Jazz

http://xerocreative.com/downloads.html

Someone, download YVD and fight me.

Does anyone want to play '05... as we played it in '05?

Step 1. Open the above link and download and install YVD 9.3.

Step 2. Download the "All images" .zip file. Open it and copy its contents to the ".../Yugioh Virtual Dueling/Images" folder.

And that's it. You don't really need to do anything with the sets file because the in-game set updater works fine and all the Goat cards are already built-in anyway.

Then manually enter your main deck, side deck, and extra deck, and click "Duel" in the bottom-right corner after selecting the "No List" F&L List. Then you can either "Listen" and give your opponent the IPv4 address it spits out, or "Connect" to your opponent via a "Normal Duel" and type in whatever IPv4 address they give you. If it doesn't work for you right away, you may need to make sure the built-in Windows Firewall isn't blocking traffic to YVD. The easiest way to do this is to click "Listen" at least once to open a Windows Firewall prompt and manually grant access to YVD over private and public networks.

If you don't trust your opponent with your IPv4 address, you can always use a third party to "Relay" your duel. This would entail a third person opening the "Relay Server" program in the ".../Yugioh Virtual Dueling/Utilities" folder and clicking "Start." Then you and your opponent would connect to each other using "Relay Duel," with one of you being a "Host" and the other being a "Client" while both of you connect to that third person's IPv4 address. This feature also lets someone else "watch" your match in real-time. However, if you don't want to set up a Relay Duel through a third party, you can instead take the extra step of downloading Hamachi (or similar software) to give yourself a virtual IP address, although this may require some additional setup.

Edited by OD Superman

On 12/30/2016 at 11:50 PM, iSlickz said:

jazz lets play goats

You should focus on mafia ;)

On 12/31/2016 at 1:12 AM, OD Superman said:

http://xerocreative.com/downloads.html

Someone, download YVD and fight me.

I tried downloading YVD but there's an installation bug with the .set file. It's probably a Mac thing but I can't figure it out. They used to communicate with the people who run Wine but something must have happened and the bug fix no longer works.

15 hours ago, Jazz said:

I tried downloading YVD but there's an installation bug with the .set file. It's probably a Mac thing but I can't figure it out. They used to communicate with the people who run Wine but something must have happened and the bug fix no longer works.

I don't understand what sort of installation bug you might be having. YVD 9.3 doesn't use a .set file and has all cards up to 2013 pre-loaded already.

Separately, have you ever considered Boot Camp, Virtual Box, or Crossover? Seems like Wine gives you nothing but trouble.

Anyone going to be at the Hartford ARG?

3 hours ago, Skully said:

Yeah, I'll be there.

4 hours ago, Skully said:

Date?

On 1/11/2017 at 10:34 PM, Jazz said:

Date?

I believe it's Jan 28th