Haruki

The Official Goat Format Thread (April 2005 Forbidden and Limited Lists) [Sets Until TLM]

OD Superman    1125

I have personally tested every YGO simulator on the market today, including YVD 8.6, YVD 9.3, Untap.in, Salvation, Salvation (manual), Duel Portal, Yugioh Nexus, and LackeyCCG. None are better than Dueling Network (which is saying a lot) and each has their own issues, but a lot of folks ask me how to play Goat Format and lately I've been telling everyone the same thing: LackeyCCG is your best bet.

It sucks because it's a downloadable client, it's kind of ugly, and it's menus aren't nearly as efficient as YVD, BUT it's easy to set up, easy to connect, manually controlled, already has all the card images pre-installed, is quite stable, and is easy to use once you get the hang of it.

To access Yugioh cards with LackeyCCG:
- Download and install LackeyCCG: http://www.lackeyccg.com
- Copy this link: http://www.lackeyccg.com/yugioh/high/updatelist.txt
- Go to Main menu -> Run game plugin installer wizard -> Paste auto-update URL and install.

Deck Builder:
- Using the built-in deck editor is too slow. Build your deck using Notepad and save it to /plugins/yugioh/decks instead.
- Download a sample decklist at http://kperovic.com/(Post)_Standard_Goats.txt
- You must load your deck after every new game but you can use the "Reload recent deck" shortcut to do it automatically.

Getting Started:
- Set your player name from Player Preferences -> Profile.
- See below and set your own shortcuts by going to Preferences -> Key bindings.
- Type "/-1500" to subtract 1500 LP, and "/+1500" to gain 1500 LP.
- Play full-screen and type "/scale125" in the chat bar to make cards more easily viewable.
- Declare an attack by dragging your card and putting it on your opponent's. 
- Put a card into the Graveyard/Deck/Side/etc by dragging it to the appropriate tab.
- Control visibility of your deck by right-clicking on the Deck tab and revealing it's contents to yourself.
- You can create tokens quickly by using the "Spawn card" shortcut below.
- Disable any sounds you don't like from Preferences -> Sound.
- From Preferences -> Miscellaneous, check the box that says "auto-clear cards moved off the table" for your graveyard to remain face-up.

Recommended shortcuts from Preferences -> Key Bindings:
- Some of these can also be accomplished by clicking on-screen elements.
- You can delete or ignore any shortcut not listed below.
- New game: CTRL + n
- Reload recent deck: CTRL + l
- Quit: CTRL + q
- Draw: CTRL + d
- Previous phase: CTRL + DOWN
- Next phase: CTRL + UP
- Flip a coin: CTRL + c
- Roll D6: CTRL + r
- Next turn: CTRL + e
- Spawn card: CTRL + v
- Switch (ATK): CTRL + a
- Switch (DEF): CTRL + s
- Counter +1: CTRL + EQUALS
- Counter -1: CTRL + MINUS
- Flip over: CTRL + f

• Upvote 7

Jazz    4764
4 hours ago, fat_cat said:

CAN WE GOAT NOW?

almost........!

• Upvote 3

Ynusgridorh    129

[Pre-Exarion] Chaos Dimension:

56E37uE.png

Keeping the number of combo pieces to a minimum makes the deck less likely to brick and more resilient to disruption and turn 1 Duo. The goal is to avoid situations in which you either have to stay passive and wait for the OTK or being recklessly aggressive and risk losing everything to a timely counter.

The deck operates like a regular aggro deck with a lot of high stats monsters that can apply pressure from the get-go. Having the additional option of setting walls allows you to play aggressively without sacrificing defense. Chaos Sorcerer outs TER and any other card that can stall the game, something Bazoo cannot do.

Dimension Fusion is an insane win condition that makes your chance of winning increases as the game goes on. Having a copy of it often means you can spam the field without worrying about Mirror or Torrential. Upstart seems to conflict with the deck's aggressive strategy but the consistency boost is noticeable as one card can turn a dead hand into a winning one.

+mmf    23266

you know, you could have saved yourself a whole lot of ridicule by starting with upstart in a deck like that instead of in... yknow... the other one

aren't you supposed to play strike ninja in this though? im probably missing something about skilled dark that makes it better

Ynusgridorh    129

Skilled Dark can trade with Airknight and run over almost everything. Strike Ninja has weak stats for a beater and isn't needed with 1 BLS and 3 Sorc.

+mmf    23266

im assuming this is with no exarion in the format, because you'd be playing it otherwise? i actually kinda think decks like this are low key ridiculous in the post-exarion format, almost every card in the deck makes exarion cry

Jazz    4764

There's a wave of new interest in pre exarion format because that's the default setting on dueling book

+mmf    23266

>:(

Grimey    8228

exarion format sucked dick anyways so thank god people are finally seeing the light

that card rewards awful players way too much, just let it die already 

• Upvote 2

Ynusgridorh    129
14 hours ago, Jazz said:

There's a wave of new interest in pre exarion format because that's the default setting on dueling book

Very true. Most people I see on Dueling Book have never played pre-Exarion before. Some of them don't even know a format without Exarion even existed. Those people would never give the format a try if they didn't have any incentive to do so. That alone is a good enough reason to exclude Exarion from the cardpool in my opinion.

People who want to keep playing Exarion Goat or even CRV Goat can still do so in unlimited so it's not like anybody's getting screwed.

• Upvote 5

fat_cat    21

Told yall this was the best opportunity to force pre-exarion down peoples' throats.  Thanks Ynusgridoh.

Meta is in crazy flux at the moment.  It feels much more like it did in 2005 now that Exarion is gone.  Of course I'm sure we'll get some optimum builds from Kris and Jazz eventually.  In the mean time I've been having success with multiple copies of spirit reaper, with the most extreme builds going with 3 copies backed by maxed Dust Tornado and maxed Book of Moon to support it.  I don't know how airknight plays against it since I haven't exactly been playing amazing players but so far it hasn't been an issue.

+Urthor    10239

pretty sure pre exarion was pretty developed once upon a time but people have just forgotten.  Everything is pretty viable and there's all sorts of stuff that doesn't have the worst win rate that you can play, but that's obviously goats in general and the wonder of playing a format where power level is largely dictated by 15 staples in every deck.  

Jazz    4764

Playing a pre exarion tournament IRL tomorrow.

Wanted to know, what's everyone's opinions on the best goat control list?

I have three ideas, starting from perovic's exarion list:

-2 exarion

+2 deko

OR

-2 exarion

-1 saku

+2 DDA

+1 Book

OR

-2 exarion

-1 saku

+1 DDA
+1 Deko

+1 Book

I can't bring myself to main Asura knowing that I'll probably face a bunch of chaos decks. I also don't think it's correct to main 3 goat, despite it being a better protection card in pre exarion, because it's still an inherent minus unless coupled with meta. You don't need three goat to get value out of meta, and if I am continuing to main merchant, I don't think I need 3 goat to make 3 meta consistent.

Jazz    4764

Also, seems to me that everyone agrees Saku is way less effective in pre exarion, even though it seems like whenever I lose in this format, it's because of not having goat/saku for some dumb shit early game like Spirit Reaper.

Jazz    4764

So many possibilities, not enough time to test.

Ynusgridorh    129

Skilled Dark Magician is the closest thing you can find to Exarion: it's a dark monster than can answer Airknight, run over any set, inflict huge amounts of damage on an open field and have enough defense to wall an Asura.

Dekoichi can do none of these things and would constantly put you behind on summon if you don't go first.

No card can truly replace Exarion but Skilled Dark is the second best option out there.

+ACP+    34068

Yes, let's just run random beatsticks that don't synergize with our deck strategy at all because they're "kind of like Exarion Universe." There is no card precisely like Exarion Universe. If there was, Exarion Universe wouldn't be the nuts in its respective format. The whole point of Exarion Universe was that it's a splashable card that makes things like Scapegoat and Spirit Reaper bad. In that respect, Skilled Dark Magician is nothing like Exarion Universe.

• Upvote 4

OD Superman    1125
1 hour ago, ACP said:

Yes, let's just run random beatsticks that don't synergize with our deck strategy at all because they're "kind of like Exarion Universe." There is no card precisely like Exarion Universe. If there was, Exarion Universe wouldn't be the nuts in its respective format. The whole point of Exarion Universe was that it's a splashable card that makes things like Scapegoat and Spirit Reaper bad. In that respect, Skilled Dark Magician is nothing like Exarion Universe.

@Jazz 
SDM isn't bad. You can run it and Thunder Dragon in a straight Chaos deck, or together in a regular Goat list (subbing TD for AK, SDM for Exarion, Sorc for Prem/Call). I like Recruiter/Chaos the best, generally, mostly because I think it's the most fun but also because it takes advantage of Dustshoot the best (which I think is really good against all Chaos variants). 

3 Scapegoat is good. If I were running Meta at all then I'd probably use 3 Goats. Anyone who isn't running 1-2 Asura tomorrow will auto-lose to 3 Goats.

Also, run Asura. She's a LIGHT that can't be Snatch'd, TER'd, or Tsuku'd. She can be summoned alongside Sangan or whatever else without fear of overextending or stopping you from using Goats on your opponent's turn. And she makes Goats a minus, which is important because of how much better Goats are without Exarion.

Good luck.

• Upvote 2

Jazz    4764

3 Goat is good until people learn that the optimal build runs 2 asura priest.

Just like 3 Goat was good before until people learned that the optimal build runs 2 exarion.

;]

• Upvote 1

Grimey    8228
On March 10, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Urthor said:

pretty sure pre exarion was pretty developed once upon a time but people have just forgotten.  Everything is pretty viable and there's all sorts of stuff that doesn't have the worst win rate that you can play, but that's obviously goats in general and the wonder of playing a format where power level is largely dictated by 15 staples in every deck.  

do you genuinely believe that anyone you're going to play against has any idea of what the "optimal" anything is? 

• Upvote 3

Jazz    4764
16 minutes ago, Grimey said:

do you genuinely believe that anyone you're going to play against has any idea of what the "optimal" anything is? 

No

+Mascis    4385

play don don :eevee:

no but for real gl jazzy baby