Haruki

The Official Goat Format Thread (April 2005 Forbidden and Limited Lists) [Sets Until TLM]

4006 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mascis said:

i swear if i play one more person on duelingbook who sets their hand up as 2 thunder dragons and sinister im gonna fly to their house and vomit on them

Shouldn't be a problem if you play better cards.

4 hours ago, Spooky386 said:

I have not looked at a "Modern" goat control list since I last posted in these forums, and I'm sure the meta has shifted. When was the last Goat Format tournament? I know this site used to host them on DN. Would it be right to take lists from the top 8 of the most recent event? What if the community worked to create a list of the three or so most popular variants? Another possibility would just be to list a couple, and then show all the cards that people might use in some number. 

From my perspective you give far too much credence to the lists that graced the top tables of 2005.   Those lists are the misshapen dinosaurs that evolved into the beautiful birds of today's goat format universe--so if you are into the history of competitive yugioh or something it's probably interesting to look through them I suppose. Or if you are really fucking bored out of your mind you can use them as a starting point to make the best possible modern Sacred Phoenix deck or whatever. I agree with Allen that your guide isn't really that useful for a newcomer to the format, because he won't know which list to copy and if he picks anything from 2005 he will get absolutely smoked the first time he goes to play someone online.

PS I also played competitively in 2005 and your staples list is way off. But what purpose would it serve to include it anyway?

1 minute ago, Jazz said:

From my perspective you give far too much credence to the lists that graced the top tables of 2005. Those lists are the misshapen dinosaurs that evolved into the beautiful birds of today's goat format universe--so if you are into the history of competitive yugioh or something it's probably interesting to look through them I suppose. Or if you are really fucking bored out of your mind you can use them as a starting point to make the best possible modern Sacred Phoenix deck or whatever. I agree with Allen that your guide isn't really that useful for a newcomer to the format, because he won't know which list to copy and if he picks anything from 2005 he will get absolutely smoked the first time he goes to play someone online.

PS I also played competitively in 2005 and your staples list is way off. But what purpose would it serve to include it anyway?

Yeah, like I said before I would definitely like to get more modern lists in there at some point. I'm sure you guys could help with that. 

17 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Shouldn't be a problem if you play better cards.

i don't lose to these people because they are drooling all over themselves

On that note how can it possibly be fun to play against random helmets in duelingbook or whatever.

Fuck me maybe I'm too picky that's why I don't get to play as much goats as I'd like..

Posted (edited)

Monsters [17]:

*** Des Lacooda

*** Thunder Dragon

*** Swarm of Scarabs

** Stealth Bird

* Morphing Jar

* Sangan

* Sinister Serpent

* Spirit Reaper

* Swarm of Locusts

* Tribe-Infecting Virus

Spells [12]:

*** Book of Moon

*** Level Limit - Area B

** Upstart Goblin

* Graceful Charity

* Pot of Greed

* Mystical Space Typhoon

* Snatch Steal

Traps [11]:

*** Raigeki Break

*** Solemn Judgment

* Call of the Haunted

* Mirror Force

* Ring of Destruction

* Spell Shield Type-8

* Torrential Tribute

i'm looking for some feedback on this deck i've been working on for the past couple of days; i'm not the best deckbuilder or player so if you feel like giving some suggestions i'm open to all of them. some explanations below:

3x Des Lacooda, 3x Swarm of Scarabs, 3x Level Limit - Area B

main w/c of the deck, i wanted to make something control-oriented like Mask of Tsuky but i didn't want to rely on flipping things up and down with tsukuyomi and getting blown out by torrential. i also think that Swarm of Scarabs is better than a lot of flip cards for putting pressure on the opponent and making the field hard to break. LLAB is hard for aggressive decks to handle and draws most s/t destruction

3x Thunder Dragon, 2x Upstart Goblin, 1x Pot of Greed, 1x Graceful Charity

self-explanatory, thin the deck for powerful cards like lacooda and solemn while giving discard food for raigeki break at the same time. i'm not convinced that Thunder Dragon is completely necessary but it's one of my favorite cards and it seemed good

3x Book of Moon, 3x Solemn Judgment, 3x Raigeki Break.

great versatile protection for a variety of situations. BoM helps a lot against stuff like TER and combos great with Swarm of Scarabs' effect. Raigeki Break can be used on fresh backrow or set monsters in addition to protecting your flip floppers. Solemn is self-explanatory, stops blowouts from power cards that punish backrow heavy decks, and negates anything you want

No Delinquent Duo?

it was in here, but it was constantly dead lategame, didn't give me gas, and just sucked in general because it doesn't contribute to the main goal of the deck. this is one of the cuts i made that i'm definitely not going to add back to the deck. i generally think skipping out on any part of the trinity is pretty stupid, but playtesting doesn't lie. i'd rather dig for things like solemn and raigeki break that answer specific cards than discard random cards with Duo.

Sangan, 2x Stealth Bird, Swarm of Locusts, Spirit Reaper

sangan can grab these and they're good in specific situations. stealth bird can clock if you can't break through a monster or scapegoats, locusts is good for a full-field grind game, spirit reaper can turtle and draw backrow out by threatening to discard

Tribe-Infecting Virus

just something proactive that i can use to deal with chaos monsters that sit on their ass and banish shit, OK synergy with sinister, thunder dragon, and end phase call of the haunted. considering replacing it, but it's been OK so far

Call of the Haunted

end phase Call is gas as fuck, super useful for pulling out situations where you have nothing on the field by letting you flip flop instantly

Torrential Tribute

not sure if this card is worth including. it's been super weak, but it can help you stabilize off of a crappy opening. the way i see it, if using torrential is bad because you have a lot of monsters of the field, you're usually in a commanding position, so it isn't that terrible.

Side Deck

haven't finished it yet, considering gk's spy, kycoo, dancing fairy, stuff like that

let me know some opinions on the deck, thanks for reading

Edited by 2k16!

honestly, honor bans aside, i distinctly remember pacman needing the wave motion cannons.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

honestly, honor bans aside, i distinctly remember pacman needing the wave motion cannons.

i played around with these but they were kind of unnecessary. i'm not having trouble closing out games at all when i play with this thing, it's just an early scrap for game control really. i'd rather have something that helps with the situation than those things that do nothing but clock - LLAB also draws removal while cock blocking monsters and stealth bird does the burn thing but it also defends against everything that can attack under LLAB, for instance, and you can search it with sangan and just go (recycles with COTH too). but I have never seen the need for WMC, the longer the game goes on the more inevitability i seem to get

also, is pacman really that gay? i don't think it's that powerful or annoying...

Edited by 2k16!

4 hours ago, 2k16! said:

Monsters [17]:

*** Des Lacooda

*** Thunder Dragon

*** Swarm of Scarabs

** Stealth Bird

* Morphing Jar

* Sangan

* Sinister Serpent

* Spirit Reaper

* Swarm of Locusts

* Tribe-Infecting Virus

Spells [12]:

*** Book of Moon

*** Level Limit - Area B

** Upstart Goblin

* Graceful Charity

* Pot of Greed

* Mystical Space Typhoon

* Snatch Steal

Traps [11]:

*** Raigeki Break

*** Solemn Judgment

* Call of the Haunted

* Mirror Force

* Ring of Destruction

* Spell Shield Type-8

* Torrential Tribute

i'm looking for some feedback on this deck i've been working on for the past couple of days; i'm not the best deckbuilder or player so if you feel like giving some suggestions i'm open to all of them. some explanations below:

3x Des Lacooda, 3x Swarm of Scarabs, 3x Level Limit - Area B

main w/c of the deck, i wanted to make something control-oriented like Mask of Tsuky but i didn't want to rely on flipping things up and down with tsukuyomi and getting blown out by torrential. i also think that Swarm of Scarabs is better than a lot of flip cards for putting pressure on the opponent and making the field hard to break. LLAB is hard for aggressive decks to handle and draws most s/t destruction

3x Thunder Dragon, 2x Upstart Goblin, 1x Pot of Greed, 1x Graceful Charity

self-explanatory, thin the deck for powerful cards like lacooda and solemn while giving discard food for raigeki break at the same time. i'm not convinced that Thunder Dragon is completely necessary but it's one of my favorite cards and it seemed good

3x Book of Moon, 3x Solemn Judgment, 3x Raigeki Break.

great versatile protection for a variety of situations. BoM helps a lot against stuff like TER and combos great with Swarm of Scarabs' effect. Raigeki Break can be used on fresh backrow or set monsters in addition to protecting your flip floppers. Solemn is self-explanatory, stops blowouts from power cards that punish backrow heavy decks, and negates anything you want

No Delinquent Duo?

it was in here, but it was constantly dead lategame, didn't give me gas, and just sucked in general because it doesn't contribute to the main goal of the deck. this is one of the cuts i made that i'm definitely not going to add back to the deck. i generally think skipping out on any part of the trinity is pretty stupid, but playtesting doesn't lie. i'd rather dig for things like solemn and raigeki break that answer specific cards than discard random cards with Duo.

Sangan, 2x Stealth Bird, Swarm of Locusts, Spirit Reaper

sangan can grab these and they're good in specific situations. stealth bird can clock if you can't break through a monster or scapegoats, locusts is good for a full-field grind game, spirit reaper can turtle and draw backrow out by threatening to discard

Tribe-Infecting Virus

just something proactive that i can use to deal with chaos monsters that sit on their ass and banish shit, OK synergy with sinister, thunder dragon, and end phase call of the haunted. considering replacing it, but it's been OK so far

Call of the Haunted

end phase Call is gas as fuck, super useful for pulling out situations where you have nothing on the field by letting you flip flop instantly

Torrential Tribute

not sure if this card is worth including. it's been super weak, but it can help you stabilize off of a crappy opening. the way i see it, if using torrential is bad because you have a lot of monsters of the field, you're usually in a commanding position, so it isn't that terrible.

Side Deck

haven't finished it yet, considering gk's spy, kycoo, dancing fairy, stuff like that

let me know some opinions on the deck, thanks for reading

I would cut:

Thunder Dragon - You are not playing chaos

Morphing Jar - Seems counterproductive and will put you in worse situations

Tribe-Infecting Virus - You are not playing standard/aggro

1x LLAB - Your deck is illegal

Upstart Goblin - One of your win cons is burn and you are not running an alt win otk

Spell Shield T8 - Personally dislike the card and think you are better off with Ceasefire + playing around NoC

I think you need Cyber Jar and Mask of Darkness. I would also prefer Night Assailant to Thunder Dragon here and PWWB to Raigeki Break.

On second thought you should keep TIV you probably need extra outs to TER considering the lack of Tsuku.

Might want to try compulsory evac device as well.

Why would you not play swords of revealing light considering 1 des lacooda can draw 3 cards in that span?

Posted (edited)

oh was LLAB semi limited? my bad. lmao. I thought duelingbook would stop me from running too many of something so I didn't even check.

SORL can easily replace 1

thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out next time I come on. I was on the fence about a few of the cards so that may play better.

do you think torrential is fine in that slot?

Edited by 2k16!

I think you want torrential only because it is one of the best cards at stopping opposing tsuku locks and it seems like you are especially vulnerable to those.

So how much better would this format be if we just banned duo? Even pot could do with being removed.

Neither of these cards are skillful nor do they make the game any more fun once they're played. Never has anyone I played with felt good after winning a game where they resolved duo and pot. 

Is there merit to really trying to test goats (-) or whatever you guys called it, again? 

duo is arguably more degenerate than pot yes. pot at least can get you back into the game if your low on cards. multiple activations of the card push it over the edge. first turn pot is pretty strong, but it's not as strong as forcing your opponent to play down 2 cards. still both of the cards are pretty annoying to play to against and don't really reward rich play experience imo

goat(-) attempts to kind of solve the issue that normal goats has with all of this oppressive cards being legal, while retaining the feeling that you are still able to do powerful stuff. so yeah, i'd say there is merit to playing it. it's kinda like newgioh just without any new cards added

What if we kept Pot, Duo, Graceful and just got rid of Magician of Faith instead?

you want to take away solid monster that you have to flip to resolve over cards that are costless +1s?

faith is checked by being a flip-effect, being hit by noc, and being sucked up by ter. normally you want to set faith when you have a trinity piece to get back obviously, but it has other functionality than just getting a spell back. being a relevant level 1 for meta and a light for bls makes it a pretty important staple of the format.

the only way to beat cards like duo and pot is to either hard counter them or have sinister so duo is only a 1 for 1. i don't think anyone ever wants to solemn judgment or magic drain a pot of greed.

graceful charity is checked by itself. you can activate it whenever you want sure, but you only get a plus from it if you sinister or cards that you are ok with discarding because you have things like call or prema in your hand. 

The way to beat pot and duo is to not suck and survive long enough until you draw your own pot+duo.

Usually works, but not always.

Or Morphing Jar of course.

turn 1 duo can be hard to come back from, but i don't understand why people are complaining about pot and graceful

On 3/27/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mascis said:

you want to take away solid monster that you have to flip to resolve over cards that are costless +1s?

faith is checked by being a flip-effect, being hit by noc, and being sucked up by ter. normally you want to set faith when you have a trinity piece to get back obviously, but it has other functionality than just getting a spell back. being a relevant level 1 for meta and a light for bls makes it a pretty important staple of the format.

the only way to beat cards like duo and pot is to either hard counter them or have sinister so duo is only a 1 for 1. i don't think anyone ever wants to solemn judgment or magic drain a pot of greed.

graceful charity is checked by itself. you can activate it whenever you want sure, but you only get a plus from it if you sinister or cards that you are ok with discarding because you have things like call or prema in your hand. 

It was just a suggestion in response to the "multiple activations of the card push it over the edge" comment. It sounds interesting to me. You open up deckbuilding a bit by removing it and it takes away the snowball games where your opponent is just slaughtering you with an unanswered Pot of Greed/Charity/Duo Magician of Faith/Tsukuyomi loop.

all of these cards are fine and u guys r crazy lmoa

MAYYYBE if you want to honor ban duo id at least have respect for that

idk wtf ppl are doing complaining about pot in 2017 tho

the whole point of trinity cards is that they all check each other, which no one mentioned up there

in my opinion, for people that are really that bothered by the variance in opening pot/duo, a better solution would be to have pot and graceful as static opening hand for the player going first and duo and graceful for the player going second (but you have to ban stuff like mind crush and dd designator). that way you get to play with the "power" added by those cards but you never have to play the games where 1 player opens too many trinity pieces while the other player opens none

Posted (edited)

Proof of concept for a no-Exarion deck

Cab2OrH.png

The deck does exactly what it looks like it does.  You have a response for pretty much every deck in the meta.  Right now, I believe this deck to be around the same tier as Chaos Sorcerer/Thunder Dragon decks (2nd tier)...probably a little better actually since has a natural advantage against those decks with Dustshoot and Dekoichi.  It would be nice if people go out to test it and improve it.  I have card explanations/threats written but it's not done yet and I want to see if my own criticisms will match up if anyone offers their own.

Also, my username on the discord is Royboy.

Edited by fat_cat