Haruki

The Official Goat Format Thread (April 2005 Forbidden and Limited Lists) [Sets Until TLM]

4072 posts in this topic

As a general rule the reason for running 3x something is because you want to draw it asap and if you get multiples its not that bad. You don't want to draw Airknight asap and if you get multiples its pretty bad.

11 hours ago, Mascis said:

Honestly, I could see merit in playing beatdown style chaos list. You run skilled beaters over recruiters / floaters and bait removal then play sorcs / bls to push u over. 

Something like,

3 skilled dark

2-3 skilled white 

3 sorc

1 bls

0-3 d-fusion 

0-1 return 

idk the rest of it but I'm thinking that a good list w/ good tech play could in theory outclass stock beastdown since your cards just go over the top better 

Updated build:

mHvfByt.png

While we're on the topic of "Tetherball needs primers on basic shit", I've been having a really hard time knowing when to "go in for the kill". I can accumulate some pluses and have the ability to put stuff on the board, but I'm basically always scared that every extension is an overextension, and hold back. Then my opponent blows me the fuck out. Any tips on how to smell weakness?

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Human Tetherball said:

While we're on the topic of "Tetherball needs primers on basic shit", I've been having a really hard time knowing when to "go in for the kill". I can accumulate some pluses and have the ability to put stuff on the board, but I'm basically always scared that every extension is an overextension, and hold back. Then my opponent blows me the fuck out. Any tips on how to smell weakness?

1. Work on your ability to read unknown cards. Test yourself even when it's not necessary (make mental notes about your guesses). This shouldn't be too hard if you play a lot and are good at pattern recognition. Most yugioh players are extremely robotic and predictable when they play goat.

2. Don't rely on reads if you don't have to and you can otherwise play it safe. In this case you should literally clear out their backrow and use a calculator.

3. If you strongly think you would otherwise lose without taking a perceived risk, just fucking go for it.

Edited by Jazz

Blackrose125 is my fucking hero

@anus that build looks so fucking bad

pot, graceful, and 3 solemns were not enough to break the impenetrable wall of my d.d. trainers

Screen shot 2017-04-28 at 10.53.26 PM.png

1 hour ago, TRUMPOLOGIST said:

pot, graceful, and 3 solemns were not enough to break the impenetrable wall of my d.d. trainers

this was foretold

howtoside.PNG

Some things weren't meant to be taken literally, I think this was one of them. 

KKmXZ3M.png

For a little more context: The deck was also running Emissary of Darkness (as you do) and Giant Germ(s) to serve as fuel for Dark Necrofear. 

i edited the op because it was old

if anyone wants to add anything to it feel free

12 hours ago, d1n0man said:

Some things weren't meant to be taken literally, I think this was one of them. 

Reveal hidden contents

For a little more context: The deck was also running Emissary of Darkness (as you do) and Giant Germ(s) to serve as fuel for Dark Necrofear. 

that deck isn't bad

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 9.41.36 PM.png

...really? lol

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 9.41.36 PM.png

...really? lol

SXGMhX5.gif

it's an official thread so i thought i should use capitalization in the title when i'm not lazy but when i did i misspelled lol

goat gourmet 

Posted (edited)

For something a little different, message me on discord for a mirror match with this deck. The idea is to play a standard goat control list with as many cards as possible replaced by something similar, legal in the same period but strictly inferior. I call it Scrote Format.

http://imgur.com/UAeoOSH

Regarding the fusion deck, you must max out on any monsters of the same level before including normal picks. E.g., you can run 3 Restrict because hes the only level 1 available, but you must run 3 Fusionist, 3 Charubin etc. before even considering Dragoness the Wicked Knight. You do not necessarily need to start with the most inferior. If you only want 1 level 3 Fusion, you can run Charubin and not Fusionist.

Edited by Goins

why am i not just allowed to play as many cards in my extra deck as i want like you could in actual goat format

Just play newgioh...

Or critter format if you want a low power ceiling

47 minutes ago, mmf said:

why am i not just allowed to play as many cards in my extra deck as i want like you could in actual goat format

L A C K E Y

A

C

K

E

Y

1 hour ago, mmf said:

Because the idea is that you play as much trash as possible

no thanks sounds pointless and even more boring than the actual format itself

Why do people like using Chaos Turbo so much on Dueling Book? The deck seems pretty bad unless you open something like Charity + Thunder Dragon or something similar. Is there something I'm missing?

You're not really missing anything. The deck isn't very good. Realize that 99% of people on DB are completely braindead and Chaos takes a lot less thinking to play than Goats, hence its popularity.

Partly what Allen said, but the other thing is that people have only recently begun to question whether Goat Control is really the undisputed best deck of the format and are more open to testing other decks than ever before. Obvious contenders are Chaos variants and to a lesser extent Zoo / Beastdown. Turbo Chaos, although weaker than Recruiter Chaos, makes flashy plays far more often and is also easier, both of which are attractive reasons to play it.

Unrelated: A great bonus of spending time in a foreign country is that you can start merching when you return to civilization.  Today I picked up

2x Mago de la Fe

1x Mago Oscuro del Caos

1x Virus Infecta Tribu

2x D.D. Dama Guerrera

1x RANA Arborea

Last one is Treeborn Frog, no one seems to know why "Frog" is capitalized lol.