Haruki

The Official Goat Format Thread (April 2005 TCG/DB2 pre-NTR/CT2/CRV)

+Gemstone Mine    2733

because every argument about why exarion is good for the format also doubles for one for why its bad? I've honestly yet to hear an argument about why exarion is good that can't also be used about why it's unhealthy, because the card is just too versitile and does too much stuff.

ggggg    3613

running 1-2 exarion was pretty standard post-nationals. but so was cyber dragon. i was playing with some of the top people in the world and it was pretty agreed upon that exarion was a top tier 1 card, even better than cyber dragon. look at paul levitin's sjc boston deck.

the format should be pre-nationals, or the entire format's cardpool.

exarion came out on 9/1/2005

crv came out on 8/17/2005 with sneak peaks on 8/6/2005

i just had another guy complain that i was running 1 cyber dragon

edit : second guy named dicepod today.

this is lame as fuck lol.

people in denial.

• Upvote 1

nacholibre    56

Maybe instead of playing cyber dragon you should put something like pre-exarion in the description. slapping cydra in peoples faces is not going to help. most people don't know that exarion was legal for such a short period of time, and they automatically assume that he was part of the format. especially when they see all these decklists with exarion everywhere.

Btw on that Stein deck, 3 toon table of content and 1 toon cannon soldier should be staples there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ygoAndroid    0

sorry to be coming into this thread with trying to optimize such slimy decks. im trying to find the most degenerate deck to embarrass someone with.

might build empty jar for pre-crv and stein for post-crv lmao

Maybe instead of playing cyber dragon you should put something like pre-exarion in the description. slapping cydra in peoples faces is not going to help. most people don't know that exarion was legal for such a short period of time, and they automatically assume that he was part of the format. especially when they see all these decklists with exarion everywhere.

Btw on that Stein deck, 3 toon table of content and 1 toon cannon soldier should be staples there.

the dates on CRV and exarion are said to be different things all the time. it's usually best to establish ahead of time with the opponent what exactly you want to do. i think exarion is too good to be squeezed in on an honor rule but that's just me.

We're having a big debate on the big "nostalgic duelist" group about Exarion.

It's frustrating that nearly all the pro-Exarion advocates aren't giving sound arguments.

Is anyone on here active in the arguement?

I'm the original poster lmao

To be honest, I think that the arguments are pretty sound, although the ND community can be quite presumptuous at times.

I just wanted people to consider goats before Exarion rather than being all "Oh, I have balls so I don't have a problem with Exarion. If you think it's broken you clearly don't understand the format."

fat_cat    21

running 1-2 exarion was pretty standard post-nationals. but so was cyber dragon. i was playing with some of the top people in the world and it was pretty agreed upon that exarion was a top tier 1 card, even better than cyber dragon. look at paul levitin's sjc boston deck.

the format should be pre-nationals, or the entire format's cardpool.

exarion came out on 9/1/2005

crv came out on 8/17/2005 with sneak peaks on 8/6/2005

i just had another guy complain that i was running 1 cyber dragon

edit : second guy named dicepod today.

this is lame as fuck lol.

people in denial.

I certainly didn't appreciate it when you played your Cyber Dragon when I wasn't using any Exarions or CRV at all either.  haha.

Just be smart about it and don't dismiss people because they're using Exarion.  Most people don't know the history of the format at all.  You have every chance to be decent about that and try to point them in the right direction.  If they don't listen then you also have every opportunity to just walk away.  Doing that has honestly saved me quite a few headaches. 

I've played dicepod a few times before.  When he beat me (using an Exarion) I just said something along the lines of, " Thanks for the game but I'm not keen on a rematch because I don't play Exarion goats" and left.  He was more than happy enough to offer a game of real goats (see what I did there) and we had a decent match. 

This stuff might seem pious coming from me, the guy that posted that I'll use triple Cyber Dragon against Exarion.  But that was just to make the point that Exarion deserves no special treatment when it comes to card pool selection.

I'm the original poster lmao

To be honest, I think that the arguments are pretty sound, although the ND community can be quite presumptuous at times.

I just wanted people to consider goats before Exarion rather than being all "Oh, I have balls so I don't have a problem with Exarion. If you think it's broken you clearly don't understand the format."

Nice to see you here.

• Upvote 1

»Logic    2037

I certainly didn't appreciate it when you played your Cyber Dragon when I wasn't using any Exarions or CRV at all either.  haha.

»Logic    2037

Over the last six weeks, I’ve been working with a handful of people to make the strongest Monarch deck I could. After six weeks, I think I’m tapping out on the list with a record of 50-8 in matches, and while I didn't count 1-off games or game 3's we didn't play, I feel confident saying I won 90% of game ones. I felt there was an equal contribution to my losses were because of getting outplayed/opponent misplaying/ drawing significantly worse than the opponent. Keep in mind this was against DN, and I felt that some 60+% of the players I played against were either obviously worse than I, or playing a tier 2 deck.

I also have to say that I built this for a pre-Exarion format, as multiple Exarions invalidate this deck, as it does any list running triple goats.

I have to say that the deck, as a whole, is a blast and fairly rewarding to play, but the deck is so reactive by nature, that an aggressive player probably couldn’t appreciate this.

Aggnarch V6

fyi6TS9.png?1

2 Asura Priet
1 Big Shield Gardna
2 Granmarg the Rock Monarch
1 Jinzo
3 Mobius the Frost Monarch
1 Morphing Jar
1 Sangan
1 Sinister Serpent
1 Twin- Headed Behemoth

3 Brain Control
2 Creature Swap
1 Delinquent Duo
2 Enemy Controller
1 Graceful Charity
1 Heavy Storm
3 Metamorphosis
1 Pot of Greed
1 Premature Burial
3 Scapegoat
1 Snatch Steal

1 Call of the Haunted
1 Mirror Force
1 Ring of Destruction
1 Torrential Tribute
3 Trap Dustshoot

Side:
2 Gravekeeper's Spy

1 Gravekeeper's Guard
1 Big Shield Gardna
1 Breaker the Magical Warrior
2 Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
1 Tsukuyomi
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Nobleman of Crossout
2 Mind Crush
2 Ojama Trio

Philosophy behind the deck:

I believe that Monarchs as an archetype have 3 major flaws that inhibit the deck from competiting with a standard goat list.

1.) Monarchs on their own inherently can’t handle Tsuk. Thestalos is not a respectable answer to Tsuk because you also have to play around Sinister when trying to drop it.

2.)The deck struggles to answer Scapegoats as well as other lists.

3.) To get the full effects of monarchs, you need to your opponent to commit to their board, and essentially force your opponent to go from mid-game to late-game without running into late game yourself. It is easy to play around this after the first monarch drops.

Building a deck around Soul Exchange makes all three of these issues even more compound; you can’t progress the game in terms of life by playing Soul Exchange, you need to have Saku as well so you don’t lose your advantage to Tsuk, making the deck a 3-card combo. And if they have Goats, it’s probably taking you three-five turns to deal with it.

The above list tries to take the Zoo mentality, and play monarchs as a reactionary deck that pushes for damage at opportunities, and works to create dead cards as frequently as possible.

There are a lot of cards from a standard Goat list with a limited impact versus this deck, particularly Nobleman, Storm, Mirror Force, Saku, and Space to a slightly lesser extent. In a long, drawn out game, they will draw dead cards over time. Combined with cards like Ryu Senshi, Dark Blade the Dragon Knight and Jinzo invalidating draws, the deck tries to get 3 direct hits in, and then some combination of card costs, Ring, or small residual damage gets you there.

To discuss the cards in the deck in depth.

Asura Priest: My main answer to Scapegoats. The card is needed support to play both copies of Swap with any level of reliability. Building the deck as an aggressive deck that doesn’t run flip effects, you minimize the benefits of running any copies of Tsuk, thus you are able to afford both copies.

Note that in a format with Exarion, I’m almost positive the correct play is to make both copies of Asura Exarion, and consider some number of NoC’s mained over Swap.

Big Shield Gardna: If there’s a card I wish I could run two of, it’d be BSG. The deck doesn’t set monsters often, so BSG is often the first card to get set. The residual damage for attacking it great for doing the extra residual damage for game. If your opponent does answer it by attacking it with two monsters, they are setting themselves up for a powerful Brain Control/Monarch follow up. It’s also worth noting how strong of a T1 play something like BSG/Dustshoot/Dustshoot/Scapegoat is.

Granmarg- I firmly believe that Thestalos does not adhere to the concept of the deck, and it is not a reliable answer to Tsuk- the main reason why I would play it.
Granmarg gives a sense of flexibility reminiscent (weird word to use for a retro format) of Caius. Zaborg has a problem where you may not be able to summon it if your opponent hasn’t committed enough to the field; Granmarg has this issue far less often. Granmarg also gives access to Ryu Senshi and Dark Blade the dragon Knight.

Jinzo- the best Monarch in the deck. Doesn’t die to Tsuk, pushes in for damage. I also found Jinzo/Call plays to be stronger in this deck than standard Goats.

Mobius- I love Mobius in this deck. The fact that its effect is optional always allows it to be played, the advantage potential is greater than any other monarch as well. Note that in a grindy match, it’s important to hold Mobius until Goats can’t be chained if you can. Mobius can also punish people overextending for Morphing Jar and playing around Dustshoot very, very well.

The interaction between Mobius and an opposing Tribe is also really cool.

Morphing Jar- I feel like flipping a Jar on my own turn is more beneficial than in a standard goat deck. Your low monster count makes it easier to get a bigger plus. Setting an obvious Jar, keeping it down, and tributing for Mobius can also sometimes be better than just flipping it.

During the late game, it’s worth noting that it will almost never resolve unless your opponent wants it to, or you already saw a Nobleman from a Tsuk combo (rare) or hit a BSG already.

Sinister- If it’s not obvious, never set it before playing Dustshoot or them burning an X-out.

Twin-Headed Behemoth- Literally feels like the best card in the deck sometimes. It keeps Saku unused so Mobius/Granmarg can blow it up, pushes for damage early game ala Sangan, and almost guarantees you tribute fodder.

Note the favorable interaction it has by getting sucked up by TER, and that Tsuk can’t kill a revived Twin-Headed because the flip resets its defense to 1200.

Brain Control- With all the life point costs in this deck, the third copy of this card is optional. I’d play BSG or a chainable spell like MST, Econ, or maybe a mained Mind Crush.

Swap- Another outlet to utilize your Goats with, particularly to transform the goats into tribute fodder. Never use it if you aren’t confident that there isn’t a Call or Goats face down. If on the fence, I think playing Swap is better sooner than later. Don’t count on actually getting their Faith off if you steal it after early game (they probably have a Nobleman for it); opt to use it as tribute fodder more often than not. Also, Swapping a defense goat for an offense goat is a great way to go for lethal.

Econ- Obviously it’s another Brain Control. One cool play is Brain on Faith, they chain Book, and you chain Econ to take their Faith, flip Faith, and then tribute. Also, putting a Goat in attack mode is a frequent way to win.

Morph- Mobius into Dark Blade is a great way to beat the Chaos deck- I almost make it any time I’m guaranteed to get damage in with it. Mobius/Granmarg into Ryu Senshi set Ring is also a really reliable way to win- the only answer to it is Call on Jinzo.

Goats- Goats frequently attracts Dust Tornado, keep that in mind particularly during game 1.

Mirror Force- For Force to be effective, you have to have it set and not attract Storm. I’ve had good experiences with the card, but you might not be wrong for cutting it.

Trap Dustshoot- Card is a reliable answer to Tsuk and Asura and gives you information about how safe/effective your Mobius and Creature Swap plays are. The most recent change was making MST a third Dustshoot, I’m not sure which is better, but I will say Dustshoot is almost never dead, due to how often games become draw/pass.

Cards that didn’t make the cut in the main:

Nobleman might be better than Swap, but I think I like Swap more. I really like Blowback because it didnt’ die to Tsuk, and I made a core of 3 Zaborg, 2 Asura, 3 Blowback, BLS. I felt that deck opened worse, and I think this list is better. I also never got around to trying Needle Ceiling, but it might be okay.

The side:
I think most of it is pretty obvious, but Mind Crush is so good it’s almost mainworthy, You have to be careful for Mask of Restrict because you just lose to it, and I like the Spy engine because people like to side out some Noblemans if game 1 lasts a long time (and it’s nice versus Zoo and if you get stuck with someone playing Exarion. Thestalos was a filler card I added because I only ever used the 13 slots, but I’d love to hear better cards for the lasts two slots. The logic was just that Mobius becomes less useful as your opponent tries to bait it. Thestalos also makes Dustshoot dead more often, and that’s a turnoff.

The deck still probably isn’t tier 1, mainly because this version cannot deal with something like “Flip Deko, swing, play Tsuk, pass”, and 2-3 copies of goats are difficult to beat because Asura dies to Saku so often. Asura Priest is also a big issue, and Dustshoot has limited effectiveness versus the spirit monsters if you end up playing the grind game.  Honestly, I feel like a huge reason the deck played well was because people didn’t have the full list- I think the deck would not play well at all versus a strong player with the full list in front of them.

Hope someone finds this post worthwhile and we can start some discussion on it. I don’t think this puts monarchs at a tier 1 status, but I don’t think I’m going to be any more successful with the deck as it is, maybe someone else has ideas to take it past where it is.

• Upvote 3

+Jazz    5539

I like the idea of Blowback. Why didn't it make the cut over Thestalos in the side at least? Also did you try DMOC?

Also THB does not get its effect off TER. TER usually "sends" it to the GY. Only when TER is destroyed in battle does it "destroy" the equipped monster, which honestly doesn't even make any sense, because other monsters cannot attack anyway.

»Logic    2037
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Twin-Headed_Behemoth

UDE rulings say "if destroyed by relinquished it will get revived." Can you find evidence that was not the case in 05?

Edit: I see what you're saying upon re-reading, can you find text that specifies that? Using the logic that Premature and Call "destroy" themselves when their target dissapear, I don't see why TERs equipment not having a legal target wouldn't destroy itself as well.

I think Blowback is better than Thesy as well, as I said I had two slots left in the side before posting, and Thesy was the throw-in. Honestly it should of been Blowback, but I hesitated to put it in out of concern of not being taken seriously. It performed well enough in testing even when the flips were bad.

Besides, the trick is to primarily target backfield with it, because they have to chain before the coin flip, essentially doing the same thing as mobius or granmarg would in most later games.

I never tried DMoC, but I'm hard pressed to believe I'd ever summon it outside of dump and revive.

I did have an idea to make a deck with brain and monster Gate, using Jinzo, Blowback, Dmoc, and Guardian Sphinx (counters both goats and Tsuk well) but never actually made the list cause I thought it'd be too easy to play around.

»Logic    2037
Also, Possessed Dark Soul was a card that seemed absurd in here in theory, but it never made sense to me to side something out for it, so its not on the list.

Granted proper side decking is a skill I think I substantially lack.

ACP    33425

Jazz doesn't know how equip cards work. When a monster with an equip card is sent to the graveyard, the equipped card is destroyed. That's how it's always been, both in 2005 and today.

+Jazz    5539

Jazz doesn't know how equip cards work. When a monster with an equip card is sent to the graveyard, the equipped card is destroyed. That's how it's always been, both in 2005 and today.

Yes, it's a question of game mechanics. You've nailed it.

Excuse me for not knowing a semi-obscure yugioh game mechanic. I should have qualified my point about THB as more skeptical than declarative.

nacholibre    56

@Monarch Deck

I'm not a big fan of granmarg. On paper he looks like a versatile version of a zaborg/mobius hybrid, but in reality granmarg is the worst of all the monarchs. the only thing granmarg has going for it is his flexibility. I know you probalby won't like to hear this, but you should seriously consider thestalos. soul exchange + thestalos is a simple +1, and with all these dustshoots flying around these days people should not forget that card advantage is still most important. the only time granmarg will do advantage is when you brain/snatch something, sac for granmarg then destroy their set monster. the problem here is that zaborg does the exact same thing, but in addition he can destroy face up monsters and he is a light for BLS. Alternatively, if you brain/snatch into granmarg to pop a backrow, more often than not granmarg will run into something chainable like a ring, book or goats. In some cases, that may even result in card disadvantage, if you tributed big shield or behemoth for example. the problem here again, mobius does the exact same thing only better. if you are looking for a monarch that you can get out no matter the situation, then thestalos is a much better choice.

• Downvote 1

ygoAndroid    0

For a tournament:

9b7b863a9dc7c45693ecf53f2e21bd02.png

Any thoughts on this pre/post Exarion?

This deck is very good.

I would give more insight but Joe. posted a similar list and explained a lot a few pages back.

»Logic    2037

@Monarch Deck

I'm not a big fan of granmarg. On paper he looks like a versatile version of a zaborg/mobius hybrid, but in reality granmarg is the worst of all the monarchs. the only thing granmarg has going for it is his flexibility. I know you probalby won't like to hear this, but you should seriously consider thestalos. soul exchange + thestalos is a simple +1, and with all these dustshoots flying around these days people should not forget that card advantage is still most important. the only time granmarg will do advantage is when you brain/snatch something, sac for granmarg then destroy their set monster. the problem here is that zaborg does the exact same thing, but in addition he can destroy face up monsters and he is a light for BLS. Alternatively, if you brain/snatch into granmarg to pop a backrow, more often than not granmarg will run into something chainable like a ring, book or goats. In some cases, that may even result in card disadvantage, if you tributed big shield or behemoth for example. the problem here again, mobius does the exact same thing only better. if you are looking for a monarch that you can get out no matter the situation, then thestalos is a much better choice.

I get the impression from reading this that you didn't read the theory behind the list, because you blatantly suggested that Soul Exchange should be in this list- the card is, in large, bad.

I think Thestalos is a good card. I think there are times and decks that it's a solid card. I think it's horrible in here. Granmarg has virtually no problem coming out, and if you get frustrated because you can't play a Monarch, you're probably playing the deck wrong. Time has suggested that Soul Control just can't compete with Goats consistently for the reasons stated in my large post, I at least have some evidence to suggest this has a better matchup. Thestalos also makes Dustshoot harder to play, and I think the card is too important to lower the consistency of resolving it.

Granmarg can easily create a +2 as well by hitting a set Saku/Dust/MST/MF/ bluff/ (I guess Scapegoat, too, but that sounds like a horrible play), blowing up a F/D, and attacking something F/U. You can make educated reads on if a play will work out like this through solid reads and help from Dustshoot, though

You're analysis for Thestalos is flawed because you don't consider that him hitting something like Sinister, Night A, or Thunder Dragon is inherently a card disadvantage as well, as the residual burn damage negligible.

For a tournament:

9b7b863a9dc7c45693ecf53f2e21bd02.png

Any thoughts on this pre/post Exarion?

This deck is very good.

I would give more insight but Joe. posted a similar list and explained a lot a few pages back.

The decks biggest issue is overcoming Scapegoats; making the deck better in Pre-Exarion. I think the Reasoning Gate variant is better at resolving this than the list you have, mainly because you have less access to Tribe. I guess it's preference though.

Are you sure the third Trunade is better than Space?
Also, I wonder if Chain Dissapearance is worth the spot in your side deck. Beats Goats, their Ojama Trio, and TER

ygoAndroid    0

The decks biggest issue is overcoming Scapegoats; making the deck better in Pre-Exarion. I think the Reasoning Gate variant is better at resolving this than the list you have, mainly because you have less access to Tribe. I guess it's preference though.

Are you sure the third Trunade is better than Space?
Also, I wonder if Chain Dissapearance is worth the spot in your side deck. Beats Goats, their Ojama Trio, and TER

I believe the third Trunade's better because of the deck's tendency to go all-in and commit to an OTK or putting them too low LP to recover. Setting MST would make their S/T live and if they set 2 I'd prefer Trunade. 

Do you mean pre-Exarion? But yeah the deck's weakness to goats is definitely a problem. I haven't tried reasoning/monster gate in here yet but Mystic Tomato and the large amount of normal summons can become problematic if the opponent just rushes to get you lower than 2000.

Tomato kind of just sucks in general and Sangan is really slow for what it does in this deck.

nacholibre    56

Actually I not only read your explanation but also played you and your build a few days ago. I was playing a zombie goat build. maybe you remember. I still think there are better options than granmarg, but if it works for you then by all means play it. To me your build looks very prone to some horrible start hands, but if it turns out that I'm wrong and you found the holy grail here, well then congratulations.

On a serious note, you really need to have something against sided BTHs and dustshoots. against any good player you can expect bth and dustshoot to be sided in like 99% of the time. maybe decrees could help, but you would have to reconsider your whole trap lineup then. or maybe you could side into something completely different.

ygoAndroid    0

I figured a weakness to scapegoats would make it better post-exarion because people tend to only play 1 or 2 then.

+Jazz    5539
The biggest problem with monarchs is the limited monarch options. Any intelligent person could see Thestalos and soul exchange conflict with the ethos of this deck. Granmarg, while not ideal, is playable and versatile given the other cards in the deck.

I do feel like there could be other good tributes to try, but certainly not Thestalos or Zaborg. You're totally right in that these have been done to death and clearly can't get by goat control. It's worth trying something different to push the envelope of what's possible. I love the approach.

Joe.    4931

You usually win when they play Goats. There is a bunch of ways to OTK through Goats, and an early Goats lets you sit and amass resources. You NEED to cut Upstart. Horrific card in this deck. Add Econ. Two Econ is one of the most important cards in the deck.

Keep Tomato. It does a few things:

1.) Triple crash to fuel Bazoo and get Sangan -> Cyber Jr

2.) Bazoo + triple Tomato into Dekoichi + Limiter is game

3.) Tomato crashes into Deko with Limiter in a ton of situations

ygoAndroid    0

You usually win when they play Goats. There is a bunch of ways to OTK through Goats, and an early Goats lets you sit and amass resources. You NEED to cut Upstart. Horrific card in this deck. Add Econ. Two Econ is one of the most important cards in the deck.

Keep Tomato. It does a few things:

1.) Triple crash to fuel Bazoo and get Sangan -> Cyber Jr

2.) Bazoo + triple Tomato into Dekoichi + Limiter is game

3.) Tomato crashes into Deko with Limiter in a ton of situations

Metamorph feels really bad a lot of the time as well. I'll try econ. Metamorph is just in my unplayable hands most of the time where I get rushed to death

Wumbologist    14206

i dont even know why you would play metamorphosis in that deck. all you're going to be able to bring out most of the time is darkfire dragon. 

petqwe    286

Actually I not only read your explanation but also played you and your build a few days ago. I was playing a zombie goat build. maybe you remember. I still think there are better options than granmarg, but if it works for you then by all means play it. To me your build looks very prone to some horrible start hands, but if it turns out that I'm wrong and you found the holy grail here, well then congratulations.

On a serious note, you really need to have something against sided BTHs and dustshoots. against any good player you can expect bth and dustshoot to be sided in like 99% of the time. maybe decrees could help, but you would have to reconsider your whole trap lineup then. or maybe you could side into something completely different.

I don't think you understand what his deck is, he already said his deck is about hit 3 times with 2400, then hopefully come up with whatever damage to make the remaining 800. Soul exchange creates an empty field but you do not get that 2400, which basically contradicts his deck purpose.

Taking a card away is not done via thestalos but dustshoot, and unless they commit heavily to the field (mobius then), dustshoot can do a much better job than thestalos, given you can see a tsuk and rip that particular card away. You also get the information to setup granmarg, making granmarg extremely versatile.

What I am concerned is that how often you find yourself that extra 800 though.