Haruki

The Official Goat Format Thread (April 2005 TCG/DB2 pre-NTR/CT2/CRV)

RflwCRn.png

Have I gone to far?

You need something to get back your Exodia pieces if they were to get Duo/Card Destruction'ed.

Something like Feather of a Phoenix to use the Thunder Dragons in your hand, then drawing into it with something like Jar of Greed/Pot/Dekochi. 

I honestly can't think of any cards to add them back outside of Dark Factory of Mass Production, but that only adds back the Normals. If the Head is taken out, then you can't grab it back.

Once you lose that crucial piece you're almost likely going to lose since you'll be playing the Dekochi beatdown game.

Back up soldier does it.

Danissgar    69

Is Dark Balter the Terrible a Mandotory effect? I always believed that it was a optional one. My understanding was that if I played my own normal spells I chose if I wanted to negate and not that they would automatically be negated at the cost of 1000. The way the card is worded has some people believe that the effect is mandatory. Is this/ was this the case? I suspect that since the life point reduction is payment, it is implied that is is optional.   

igtw    40

Is Dark Balter the Terrible a Mandotory effect? I always believed that it was a optional one. My understanding was that if I played my own normal spells I chose if I wanted to negate and not that they would automatically be negated at the cost of 1000. The way the card is worded has some people believe that the effect is mandatory. Is this/ was this the case? I suspect that since the life point reduction is payment, it is implied that is is optional.   

It has always been optional. But then again, it does have an outdated text since it didn't see a reprint since like 2005..

igtw    40

in 05 if you chain disappearanced a TER did all copies get removed?

Yeah, I'm certain it used to work this way back in 05.

• Upvote 1

+Jazz    5539
Confirming. Happened to me in a goat live once. Annoying as balls to draw useless metas.

That said I think it's lucky if you pull it off early on a TER and is not a consistent tech choice.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1887
I remember it hitting Stealth Bird and the Swarms out of the Pacman deck, whic was one of the more relevant casual decks you could face at a regionals.

Plsnobully    776

I think everybody I've played recently on DN has been playing Reasoning/Gate.dek, am I getting unlucky or is somebody hyping the deck?

-L2theZ-    1611

I think everybody I've played recently on DN has been playing Reasoning/Gate.dek, am I getting unlucky or is somebody hyping the deck?

For a few years that's been the go to deck for people trying to "game" the format and it is rather silly and annoying. Popularity is most likely because it is easy to play and resembles modern yugioh with the slamming of monsters on the board without concern. Although I've seen more than a few people trying to use Zoo since the tournament.

GeorgeTFP    24

I've been testing this the past couple days and its been proving to be pretty competitive. Terrorking Archfiend is a bitch to deal with. 

OmjEvQm.png

Deck Explanation:

Terrorking Archfiend

2000/1500 Level 4 Dark Fiend

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Flip Summoned unless you have an Archfiend Monster Card on your side of the field. The controller of this card pays 800 Life Points during each of his/her Standby Phases (this is not optional). When this card is targeted by the effect of a card controlled by your opponent, when resolving the effect, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 2 or 5, negate the effect and destroy the opponent's card. The effects of an Effect Monster that this card destroyed as a result of battle are negated.

He is the heart of the deck. He is similar to Dark Balter the Terrible and Dark Ruler Ha Des. He can only be Normal Summoned if you have Another Archfiend Monster. Marauding Captain, Premature Burial and Call of the Haunted are other ways I can Special Summon him. He dice rolling effect comes in handy occasionally. Although you can't always depend on it, when it does negate something important, it is game changing.

Desrook Archfiend

1100/1800 Level 3 Light Fiend

This card's controller must pay 500 Life Points during each of his/her Standby Phases (this is not optional). When this card is targeted by the effect of a card controlled by your opponent, when resolving the effect, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 3, negate the effect and destroy the opponent's card. When a "Terrorking Archfiend" on your side of the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard to Special Summon the "Terrorking Archfiend".

The last sentence is the reason I play this card. Discarding this card when Terrorking Archfiend dies, by battle or card effect, It special summons him back. It is also a Light for Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning. Being a Level 3, it is searchable with Pandemonium when a Level 4 Archfiend dies by card effect.

Marauding Captain

1200/400 Level 3 Earth Warrior

Your opponent cannot target face-up Warrior-Type monsters for attacks, except this one. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand.

His purpose in the deck is to summon Terrorking Archfiend. He is also searchable with Sangan and Reinforcement of the Army.  

Archfiend Soldier

1900/1500 Level 4 Dark Fiend

Normal Monster

He is a beat stick. He runs over Exarion Universe and almost every other monster except for Berserk Gorilla. He is also an Archfiend and allows me to Normal Summon Terrorking Archfiend aside him.

Pandemonium

Field Spell

Neither player has to pay Life Points during the Standby Phase for "Archfiend" monsters. Each time a player's "Archfiend" monster(s) is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, except by battle, that player can add 1 "Archfiend" monster from their Deck to their hand that is a lower Level than the destroyed card.

The main purpose of this card is to search out Desrook Archfiend when your opponent uses traps on your Archfiends and it helps to save life points from the Terrorking Archfiend, (Pay 800 each of your Standby Phases). A nice play with this is when you control an Terrorking Archfiend and Pandemonium with a Desrook Archfiend in hand. If you opponent destroys Terrorking with a card effect, Pandemonium triggers, you can chain Desrook, special summon Terrorking back to the field and search out another Desrook. 

GeorgeTFP    24

Nice, but DDV was limited for the format, just sayin

Oh shit it was, i didn't even realize that. Id probably add another Assailant or Exarion in it's place.

The Ween    237

I've been trying to learn this format, but it's really difficult to get legit games on dn. Is there anyone who wouldn't mind spending a half hour or so one day showing me the ropes?

Predibus    42

so i've been playing with this in the last 2 months, dont know if its new or common knowledge and for some reason people isnt playin it:

8nu7akB.png

im postin it cause i would like to start playing some mirrors, i think this deck is on a completely different level both on power level and complexity of games compared to standard goat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

wonderPreaux    1408

so i've been playing with this in the last 2 months, dont know if its new or common knowledge and for some reason people isnt playin it:

8nu7akB.png

im postin it cause i would like to start playing some mirrors, i think this deck is on a completely different level both on power level and complexity of games compared to standard goat.

This actually seems pretty clunky imo. Crossout strike me as a savage beating for your deck, you have 12 playable normals/sets, so losing as much as a quarter of them is pretty devastating. I don't really like Solemn here, since you don't have a very active or aggressive board presence outside of your Chaos dudes themselves. You either "overpay" on solemning basic board-parity cards, or your solemns could get overtaxed trying to defend your 1 big dude from multiple removal effects/threats. You're also using 2k+ dudes as your win con and playing Solemn, which seems risky on a conceptual level in a format with Ring and Snatch.

I'm also wondering how this deck is even better than Goat control anyway. You have as many clunky draws (maybe more), your control aspects arent necessarily better, Chaos Sorcerer seems debatably worse than TER as a threat/removal engine, and you dont seem particularly faster or more resilient. You also seem really soft to the Zoo variants that have been getting attention lately, as you have little in the way of economical or effective defense (again, Chaos Sorcerer being debatably worse than TER here).

Predibus    42

8nu7akB.png

This actually seems pretty clunky imo. Crossout strike me as a savage beating for your deck, you have 12 playable normals/sets, so losing as much as a quarter of them is pretty devastating. I don't really like Solemn here, since you don't have a very active or aggressive board presence outside of your Chaos dudes themselves. You either "overpay" on solemning basic board-parity cards, or your solemns could get overtaxed trying to defend your 1 big dude from multiple removal effects/threats. You're also using 2k+ dudes as your win con and playing Solemn, which seems risky on a conceptual level in a format with Ring and Snatch.

I'm also wondering how this deck is even better than Goat control anyway. You have as many clunky draws (maybe more), your control aspects arent necessarily better, Chaos Sorcerer seems debatably worse than TER as a threat/removal engine, and you dont seem particularly faster or more resilient. You also seem really soft to the Zoo variants that have been getting attention lately, as you have little in the way of economical or effective defense (again, Chaos Sorcerer being debatably worse than TER here).

it's more complex and thought of deck than it might seem, you need to be playing around the right things.

anyway the reason this thing is strong is that it has alot of resiliance against most threat cards in goat format and exploits them, also takes advantage of some stuff which is absurd if you are playing it in a synergic shell and not along with dead cards. many things here are on average hands better than stuff like ring, burial/call, tsuku loopin, ter , parshat in good situations.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

OD Superman    1122

This deck is actually really common on DN. Right now, a lot of people are trying to 'game' the format by running non-standard decks, but I think people are being a bit too eager in what they're willing to commit to using.

[spoiler]MWlB5Oe.png[/spoiler]

This was my build before entering the ToyWiz tournament. It's not perfect by any stretch, so I'm reluctant to encourage others to copy it, but I just want to participate in the conversation so it seems fitting to share it. I should probably note that I opted not to use it at that event, and instead kept to the same deck I used throughout the Goat Format War League.

The deck has a couple problems:
- Drawing any trinity cards when you have Faith is a blowout, sure, but not drawing any trinity cards is really, really bad. Like, more bad than normal.

- Graceful is the deck's win condition, and you just don't draw it enough. 

- It's incredibly vulnerable to anything non-Goat.

- It's incredibly vulnerable to decks with a lot of flips (because Sorcerer =/= TER), or just an opposing Faith if you don't have NoC.

- NoC can really slow you down. Like, to the point that you pretty much auto-lose if your opponent opens Faith and NoC and you can't stop their Faith.

- Drawing multiple Thunder Dragons.

- Ring is too good not to play, but using Ring with Upstart, and ringing an Exarion, for example, is like using a card that says "Pay 1800 life points. Destroy a face-up monster on the field, and your opponent gains 200 life points." Most of the time it doesn't matter, but sometimes it can be really, really awkward.

More interestingly:

- You run Thunder Dragon because it's the only way to support the LIGHT requirements of Sorcerer. You add Card D and/or PWWB to justify use of the Thunder Dragon. You add Night Assailant to further justify the inclusion of Card D and/or PWWB. But now Night Assailant works contrary to the aim of feeding your Chaos monsters -- it either removes fodder from the grave, or it's a shitty card. (Remember, the problem cards of the format are BLS, Airknight, TER, Faith, and Jar, and drawing a Night Assailant against any of them just really sucks.) Anyway, point is, from start to finish, you're including cards that work well with one another to support Chaos Sorcerer, but somewhere along the way the cards you're adding stop being about supporting Chaos Sorcerer, and that leads to a lot of awkward hands that are difficult to piece together.

But there's a bright side:

- Your Graceful is infinitely better here than in standard Goats. It's nice to have powerful cards that actually do stuff.

- While Sorcerer is less useful vs. face-down monsters, he's way more useful vs. face-up monsters. Better still, Sorcerer is harder to destroy than TER so it's easier to pressure your opponent with him. For Sorcerer, your opponent has to BLS/TIV/Meta/Trap, whereas for TER, they can also Book and Tsuku. Also, Sorcerer opens up game shots that are otherwise unavailable to TER. It can also answer Balter.

- People look at 3 Faith 3 Deko like it's a bad thing, and I mean, sure, it can be a bad thing. But still, if you can use Thunder Dragon, NoC your opponent's Faiths, and let your Deko get NoC'd, that's 7 cards out of your deck, and 9 if you count Upstarts -- you're that much closer to Graceful and either generating a bunch of plusses, or setting up a chain of Sorcerer drops that your opponent eventually just runs out of answers to.

Overall:

- For at least some of the reasons I mentioned, it's pretty clear the deck wins better and loses worse than standard Goats. That's why, for me, it feels like a 'win more' deck. Like, when I have Sinister or something, PWWB will put back an Airknight and it'll be awesome, but sometimes I'll have to toss away a second PWWB or something to put back that Airknight, and I'm like, man, if this was just a Saku then it would've been okay in both scenarios. Something like that is true of PWWB, but also the rest of the unique cards in the deck. And I guess, at least for Goat format, I just prefer the 'always okay' cards to the 'sometimes amazing, sometimes crappy' cards.

- You can control for some of that by cutting back on the cards I have chosen to max out on, but I've found those variants to be just a little more consistent yet much less explosive, and it wasn't worth the trade-off to me.

Note:

- You will overpay for Solemn something like 60% of the time, and draw it dead like 10% of the time. I don't think it's worth it considering it forces you not to use Ring, and especially when other cards are likely to be just as good, if not better.

- The sided Return is really good here, but I'm not a fan of Spies.

• Upvote 2

Predibus    42

ye i think im the guy who started this thing being played cuz ive been receiving many messages about it in the last months. :D

i do agree on some problems you mentioned but this is the reason for all the differences between my build and the one you posted which is like 1 card off what i started with when playing this.

i also think i have a better matchu♀ than goat against most non-goat decks, even burn to some extent.

Card Destructions is a win more card, as to get advantage off it you need to have some combination of Assailant/Thunder Dragon/Sinister and really your winning most games you do get that, it is never good if your not getting it in combo, and even if making them discard strong cards you know they're holding is good this is never going to win you a game early cause you need very good setup to win a game early,and once you get to late game you should win.

Tribe is the opposite of hat you are trying to accomplish with this deck, again it is okay if you have good discard material, you are not ever trying to pressure your opponent lp until you know they cant come back, this cards gives reward to an opponent for playing aggressive, is weak to Book/Tsuku which is not where you wanna be and it forces at least a 2 for 2, you want to play games with many cards until you are seting up a win, so this isnt a good answer to stuff.

Coth/Burial are bad on their own, terrible early game draws and you should never need them.

you know why 2 pwwb is better.

Ring is something you play as removal, and there is so much good removal u have here.

you are never trying to win because of lp you are nver seeking advantage on lp, you win once they cant come back, resolving a Ring means you are going to have to ♀lay around their ring earlier, which is bad also. 

I don't think this deck is bad against flip effect decks either, these decks always have alot of outs to Ter but a harder time against Solemn, NIght Assailant, pwwb.

this thing is a faster and more effective flip deck with better answers to a fli♀ deck..

3 Sorcerer isnt realy needed, you have many tools against aggressive stuff and you don't need win more conditions on a body than these.

also not only Graceful here is much better, but their Duo is likely to be shitty outide of turn0.

I see alot of controversy on Solem but really here it is much ifferent than in a goat deck, once you cut all the stuff which leaves you vulnerable to aggressive strategies such as Tribe, Burial, Ring, Call. this deck wins because of good solemn judgment planning really, you shouldnt look at it in a different light than a faster Mask of Darkness deck, you win cause you grind and lock your opponent, you are just less fragile and has better card advantage built in.

the mistake everyone is making is looking at this like some kind of turbo shit, while it actually it is built to win very long games, you pres for card advantage and board control since early game but this is not trying to sack massive advantage with some comboes, Thunder Dragon wins games cause you have a very solid deck and very low dead draw potential outside of it, in the long run you're going to get much advntage out of that turning into a ♀og which fuels grave and is playable as 3of.

I have TD, SOlemn and Sorcerers which might be dead early, but thats it, and all these are easily turned live, once you resolve a Thunder Dragon you are prety much free of dead cards in the whole deck.. 

But i have 3 Book and 2 Upstart wchich give me less unplayable MoF/im not forced to do bad Meta plays.

My Books are live and extremely strong at any stage of game, while goat deck can draw dead Book easier.

Same goes for parshat, call ring, burial, tribe, tsuku, goat, meta...

OD Superman    1122

ye i think im the guy who started this thing being played cuz ive been receiving many messages about it in the last months. :D

i do agree on some problems you mentioned but this is the reason for all the differences between my build and the one you posted which is like 1 card off what i started with when playing this.

i also think i have a better matchu♀ than goat against most non-goat decks, even burn to some extent.

Card Destructions is a win more card, as to get advantage off it you need to have some combination of Assailant/Thunder Dragon/Sinister and really your winning most games you do get that, it is never good if your not getting it in combo, and even if making them discard strong cards you know they're holding is good this is never going to win you a game early cause you need very good setup to win a game early,and once you get to late game you should win.

Tribe is the opposite of hat you are trying to accomplish with this deck, again it is okay if you have good discard material, you are not ever trying to pressure your opponent lp until you know they cant come back, this cards gives reward to an opponent for playing aggressive, is weak to Book/Tsuku which is not where you wanna be and it forces at least a 2 for 2, you want to play games with many cards until you are seting up a win, so this isnt a good answer to stuff.

Coth/Burial are bad on their own, terrible early game draws and you should never need them.

you know why 2 pwwb is better.

Ring is something you play as removal, and there is so much good removal u have here.

you are never trying to win because of lp you are nver seeking advantage on lp, you win once they cant come back, resolving a Ring means you are going to have to ♀lay around their ring earlier, which is bad also. 

I don't think this deck is bad against flip effect decks either, these decks always have alot of outs to Ter but a harder time against Solemn, NIght Assailant, pwwb.

this thing is a faster and more effective flip deck with better answers to a fli♀ deck..

3 Sorcerer isnt realy needed, you have many tools against aggressive stuff and you don't need win more conditions on a body than these.

also not only Graceful here is much better, but their Duo is likely to be shitty outide of turn0.

I see alot of controversy on Solem but really here it is much ifferent than in a goat deck, once you cut all the stuff which leaves you vulnerable to aggressive strategies such as Tribe, Burial, Ring, Call. this deck wins because of good solemn judgment planning really, you shouldnt look at it in a different light than a faster Mask of Darkness deck, you win cause you grind and lock your opponent, you are just less fragile and has better card advantage built in.

the mistake everyone is making is looking at this like some kind of turbo shit, while it actually it is built to win very long games, you pres for card advantage and board control since early game but this is not trying to sack massive advantage with some comboes, Thunder Dragon wins games cause you have a very solid deck and very low dead draw potential outside of it, in the long run you're going to get much advntage out of that turning into a ♀og which fuels grave and is playable as 3of.

I have TD, SOlemn and Sorcerers which might be dead early, but thats it, and all these are easily turned live, once you resolve a Thunder Dragon you are prety much free of dead cards in the whole deck.. 

But i have 3 Book and 2 Upstart wchich give me less unplayable MoF/im not forced to do bad Meta plays.

My Books are live and extremely strong at any stage of game, while goat deck can draw dead Book easier.

Same goes for parshat, call ring, burial, tribe, tsuku, goat, meta...

No offense, but I just have to say that I've had three Goat decks bought and built IRL for over a year: my regular Goat deck, a beastdown variant, and this deck. I honestly don't know who used it first but I'm sure if you only started using it a couple months ago then it wasn't you.

Either way, let's talk about the differences. From my build, you go:
- Sorc

- Tribe

- Card D

- Call

- PWWB

- Ring

+ Jar

+ MST

+ Saku

+ 3 Solemn

I think a better way of looking at it is to say you run Jar where I run Card D, Saku where I run Ring, MST where I run Call, and 3 Solemn over Tribe, Sorc, and PWWB. 

Now, I like Jar. In fact, I love Jar. Honestly, I don't know many people who love Jar more than me. That said, Jar was an obvious inclusion in the deck (NA, dead draws), and was there in my first draft. But then I started drawing Thunder Dragons with Jar, or live Sorcerers with Jar, or I was otherwise building up advantage in spite of the ih Jar I never wanted to use, and just felt like I never really needed to reset the game like I do with regular Goats. The only time I liked Jar was when I drew dead hands early on, but regular Goats start up so slowly that I usually have time to get something going without needing the Jar or having to risk drawing it in a sensitive mid-game. In my view it's an unnecessary addition to the deck, and it's worth it to look at potential replacements. I guess that's where Card Destruction comes in. It can reset your starting hand faster than Jar because you don't have to set it, but it can also build advantage in the mid-late game when you already have TD or NA. It also works better with TD and NA than Jar does. It also gives you a funny win condition with a late-game Faith. Of course, Card Destruction isn't a perfect card, but it can be just as much of a blowout as Jar except it gives more, better purpose to TD and NA and that's reason enough to consider it.

Ring is better than Saku, no question.

MST can be better than Call, but if you have dead Sorcerers then neither are particularly good. If you have live Sorcerers in the moment then MST is better, and if you have live Sorcerers in the grave then Call is probably better. Obviously, Call could be activated after Sorcerer runs into a trap so it could probably go either way.

And Solemn is reactionary. You have to have it down first, one will usually pay to stop Heavy (instead of chaining, like PWWB/Ring), and you'll oftentimes overpay for things you wouldn't have to pay for if you ran other cards. That's important because BLS and Ring exist, and life points matter. I repeat: life points matter. Now, maybe TIV isn't the best card to use. In fact, I think a strong argument can be made for Exiled to fill that spot. Maybe my PWWB isn't necessarily better either (although I'd 100% prefer PWWB if I had TD/NA/Sinister). Maybe Sorcerer too, but I'm pretty sure if my Sorcerer is dead then my Solemn won't be much useful either. Either way, at least those cards can apply pressure and get damage in. In other words, they can be reactive and proactive. Additionally, Solemn'ing a lone f/d Mirror Force is infinitely worse than just using Dust Tornado. It's way worse to negate an AP summon than it is to just Saku it too. But obviously Solemn is the most versatile card. "It can be used against Mirror and AP!" you might say. Well, it does a pretty shitty job against both and that's my point. And, for me, I'd rather just use cards that do one job well than use cards that do a bunch of jobs really bad.

Now, it seems like that's where we disagree, because our two builds aren't so different that yours somehow solves all the problems I outlined. In most cases, both decks will function just like the other, and I think it could really go either way based on the remaining slots.

That said, I really, really don't think Solemn is warranted here. I'm going to try to use an example to show this, but it's a little out there. Forgive me if it sounds weird, but I'd like to take the concept to an extreme and ask you to pick between two cards:

Card 1 - Quickplay Spell

"Pay 1500 life points. Destroy one card on the field."

Card 2 - Effect Monster

LV4 - DARK - Spellcaster

1600/1000

"When this card is normal summoned, destroy one monster on the field."

Now, I don't know if you can see the parallels I'm drawing here, or whether you'll find my point to be valid, but in this case I'd say Card 1 is more like Solemn whereas Card 2 is more like TIV/Sorc/Saku/Dust, and I much prefer Card 2 to Card 1. If I could only run 1 of either of these cards, I'd probably run Card 2 for the same reason I run Breaker. It may not be as versatile as Card 1 (like Solemn), but it's useful enough to warrant using (like Saku/Dust), and besides, it's got serious floater potential (like TIV/Sorc).

Anyway, enough about Solemn. We may only be able to agree to disagree there. Back to the deck.

You said you have an advantage vs. non Goat decks. Seems to me you'd struggle vs. Beatdown because you lack traps, ways to get through their traps, and you're forced to overpay for Solemn so a timely Gorilla is at least 2x the threat to your LP that it otherwise would be.

You said you have an advantage vs. lots of flips. You take a standard Goat deck and subtract 3 Meta, and replace monsters like Exarion that can be normal summoned in ATK mode to stop flips with monsters like Dekoichi that can only be set vs opposing flips, and that gives you an advantage? Because what, Solemn? Surely you're not trying to Solemn my flip, right? You're just trying to Solemn Tsuku or something, right? Because if not, I don't see where the advantage comes into play. And if so, well, boom, that's a really good example of overpaying for something because half your life is not worth avoiding a -1.

I concede the point about Duo.

And I totally agree on the point of it not being a Turbo deck. There's definitely an early-, mid-, and late-game with this deck.I think, at least the idea anyway, is that the deck is just supposed to run better, more powerful cards that locks your opponent out of comeback opportunities in the mid-late game. I.e. they Meta your f/d, you Sorc their TER, and now they don't have an answer to Sorcerer, etc. And in the meantime you try to slow them down with cards like PWWB, maybe get a chip shot with Dekoichi, at least insofar as you can open up a game shot with Sorc/BLS. 

Nevertheless, I maintain the deck is a 'win more' deck that's only slightly worse than standard Goats.

• Upvote 2