nathanial swank

shooting at premiere of Batman movie in Denver, Colorado

+Urthor    10227
More likely whoever was exercising their 2nd Amendment rights would have just made themselves the target while firing with a handbag gun vs body armour. That stuff really works.

Wilson    12516
I doubt anyone would be able to aim in a cinema to be honest, if someone else had a gun the most likely outcome would be more innocents getting shot.

Bazoo    5700
[quote name='Shaman' timestamp='1342887063' post='3237257']
[quote name='Ammit' timestamp='1342860572' post='3237166']
One yes we need stricter gun control laws. Two, I will certainly continue going to the movies. I don't see this effecting me at all, unless they do in fact put in security ala airports, which I really don't see happening.
[/quote]
It can also be argued that if somebody in the theater was exercising their 2nd amendment rights and carrying a concealed weapon, the shooter could have been stopped much sooner.
[/quote]

yes because anyone with a gun will be able to utilize in a manner as effective as law enforcement immediately and without hesitation. Also, in no way could a gun fight turn badly, not at all

[quote name='Will.I.Am' timestamp='1342849987' post='3237069']
My heart goes out to all the victims who were affected.

Two points for consideration:
1. Someone is bound to bring this up sooner or later. Does the US need stricter gun control laws? Every time an unfortunate event like this happens, more scrutiny is cast on our 2nd amendment.

I'm currently in China. I know some of you will pay the Communist card (no freedoms etc), but it kind of blows my mind that in a country with over 1 billion people the crime rate is ridiculously low (lower than that of the US). One has to wonder if this has to do with China's much stricter gun policy.

2. Will we have to instill security checks now at movie theaters? (Like the ones at airports)

Whether they do or not, it doesn't matter. This incident has sadly forever tainted the movie theater's reputation as a place of carefree escape and entertainment. We can no longer go into the movie theater with the same ease and comfort as we have done in the past.
[/quote]

You live in China? I am now selfishly interested in you for my gain

lol sorry to skirt the main point of your post but "pull the communist card": I think you'll find most people on DGZ don't pull THAT kind of bullshit. That is, we understand what communism is and what it isn't. Obviously, you're not being mind controlled by your government since you're posting that here. Anyway, cool to see some extra geographical coverage around here.

+Urthor    10227
I seem to remember China had a big problem with people running into Kindergartens and stabbing people. It's a symptom of people with ruined lives taking it out on the world, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had been kicked out of college or something. And ruined lives happen alot more in a society with high inequality and no social security net blah blah etc etc American right wing is dumb.

Arshen    3893
I doubt he was being kicked out of college, seeing as how he started the process of dropping out a while ago.

Max    430
anyone who brings a baby to a midnight showing is not only a shitty parent but a shitty person as well.
  • Upvote 3

The General    55
[quote name='Arshen' timestamp='1342878149' post='3237229']
2. Will we have to instill security checks now at movie theaters? (Like the ones at airports)[/quote]

The horribly agonizing thing is that there are people talking about this. Which doesn't make any god damn sense. He didn't come in with loaded to the teeth. He came in with everyone else, left the theatre, and then, in full gear, entered through the emergency exit. If anything would be done it would be stopping the emergency exits from opening from the outside, which is a retarded idea.

On an unrelated note, this entire event has affirmed my hatred for cable news networks.
[/quote]
Must have missed that detail. But yea, inevitably this is going to stimulate discussions about security checks at movie theaters. Whether I agree with having security checks or not, I've not yet made up my mind.

[quote name='Bazoo' timestamp='1342888409' post='3237267']

lol sorry to skirt the main point of your post but "pull the communist card": I think you'll find most people on DGZ don't pull THAT kind of bullshit. That is, we understand what communism is and what it isn't. Obviously, you're not being mind controlled by your government since you're posting that here. Anyway, cool to see some extra geographical coverage around here.
[/quote]
No, I'm currently studying abroad in China, so obviously I don't live in China. I'm from the US.

Living in China for a month (specifically in Beijing), I am continuously surprised by its lack of violence. Like we all know that they are "bad" parts in NYC, Philadelphia, (insert whatever big US city), etc that people should be extremely careful and cautious in, and possibly avoid at all cost. These areas are deemed unsafe because of their high crime rates, especially those gun-related. Beijing's population rivals that of US cities, but its crime rates is nowhere as high as theirs. There are literally no "bad" areas to avoid in Beijing (I've skirted most of the city).

All I'm saying is that one really cannot deny that the ease availability of firearms in the US is correlated with our high crime rates.

I know in statistics that there's a concept: "correlation doesn't imply causation". Taking this in account, I think it's more than just the availability of firearms that is an issue. It's an education and cultural issue as well.

Some food for thought: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/opinion/guns-and-the-slog.html?ref=opinion

The General    55
[quote name='Max' timestamp='1342893200' post='3237303']
anyone who brings a baby to a midnight showing is not only a shitty parent but a shitty person as well.
[/quote]
You're taking it a bit too far. Yes, it's not the right thing (for the baby's health, etc) to bring a baby to a midnight showing of a movie. But calling him a shitty person/parent is illogical because there was no reason for the parent to perceive a mass shooting and death as possible consequences of going to the movie theater.

A shitty person is someone who perceives that his actions will lead to certain negative outcomes, but proceeds nonetheless.

In this case, the parent is irresponsible at best. The shooter is shitty at worst. (He knew people would be killed at his hands, and still had the sadistic guts to do so)

Max    430
I'm not saying they're a shitty person for putting the child in a potentially dangerous situation by being in a movie theater where a shooting could happen... a shooting can happen anywhere.

they're a shitty person because they're bringing a SHITTY FUCKING CRYING BABY to my goddamn movie. I put that on the level of anyone who answers their phone in the theater during the movie.
  • Upvote 13

+Urthor    10227
[quote name='Will.I.Am' timestamp='1342894706' post='3237313']
[quote name='Arshen' timestamp='1342878149' post='3237229']
2. Will we have to instill security checks now at movie theaters? (Like the ones at airports)[/quote]

The horribly agonizing thing is that there are people talking about this. Which doesn't make any god damn sense. He didn't come in with loaded to the teeth. He came in with everyone else, left the theatre, and then, in full gear, entered through the emergency exit. If anything would be done it would be stopping the emergency exits from opening from the outside, which is a retarded idea.

On an unrelated note, this entire event has affirmed my hatred for cable news networks.
[/quote]
Must have missed that detail. But yea, inevitably this is going to stimulate discussions about security checks at movie theaters. Whether I agree with having security checks or not, I've not yet made up my mind.

[quote name='Bazoo' timestamp='1342888409' post='3237267']

[/quote]
No, I'm currently studying abroad in China, so obviously I don't live in China. I'm from the US.

Living in China for a month (specifically in Beijing), I am continuously surprised by its lack of violence. Like we all know that they are "bad" parts in NYC, Philadelphia, (insert whatever big US city), etc that people should be extremely careful and cautious in, and possibly avoid at all cost. These areas are deemed unsafe because of their high crime rates, especially those gun-related. Beijing's population rivals that of US cities, but its crime rates is nowhere as high as theirs. There are literally no "bad" areas to avoid in Beijing (I've skirted most of the city).

All I'm saying is that one really cannot deny that the ease availability of firearms in the US is correlated with our high crime rates.

I know in statistics that there's a concept: "correlation doesn't imply causation". Taking this in account, I think it's more than just the availability of firearms that is an issue. It's an education and cultural issue as well.

Some food for thought: [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/opinion/guns-and-the-slog.html?ref=opinion"]http://www.nytimes.c...tml?ref=opinion[/url]
[/quote]
This is not an issue about China, America is a very unsafe country in general and in many Western cities you are perfectly safe to go anywhere you like, within reason obviously walking round the clubs district at closing time is dumb.

The General    55
[quote name='Max' timestamp='1342895454' post='3237317']
I'm not saying they're a shitty person for putting the child in a potentially dangerous situation by being in a movie theater where a shooting could happen... a shooting can happen anywhere.

they're a shitty person because they're bringing a SHITTY FUCKING CRYING BABY to my goddamn movie. I put that on the level of anyone who answers their phone in the theater during the movie.
[/quote]
Ok point taken.

[quote name='Urthor' timestamp='1342895895' post='3237322']

This is not an issue about China, America is a very unsafe country in general and in many Western cities you are perfectly safe to go anywhere you like, within reason obviously walking round the clubs district at closing time is dumb.
[/quote]
I'm just using Beijing as a comparison, not trying to refocus the issue to China. But yes, I agree most cities are perfectly safe during the [i]day. [/i]At night, it's a whole other story.

Matt Bishop    2377
This is truly awful to have happened and my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who were lost and wounded :(

+rei+    34681
[quote name='Mr. T' timestamp='1342940701' post='3237695']
china has very strong police power and generally doesn't give a shit about "civil liberties". if you fuck around, the CPC will clean you up. hence the "low crime"
[/quote]
and its not as if they have to report crime rates in higher areas.
  • Upvote 1

»PJ    4183
Random question to Will: Is China's Internet as censored as Western media would have us all believe?

Gear    712
[url="http://www.denverpost.com/theatershooting/ci_21147699/christian-bale-town-visiting-victims-shooting"]http://www.denverpos...ictims-shooting[/url]

This is something you can appreciate.
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Ordyh    332
[quote name='Gear' timestamp='1343170245' post='3239712']
[url="http://www.denverpost.com/theatershooting/ci_21147699/christian-bale-town-visiting-victims-shooting"]http://www.denverpos...ictims-shooting[/url]

This is something you can appreciate.
[/quote]
Just read this. Definitely a class act right there.

»ACP    33421
So today I went to the post office and the lady is like "OMG YOU LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE BATMAN SHOOTER! EX-ACT-LY LIKE HIM!" It was super awkward. Personally, I don't really see much of a resemblance...

[img]http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/rotators/july2012/230712holmes2.jpg[/img]
  • Upvote 4

Twitter    2057
the nose does look a lot different, but idk if id go as far as to say they are totally different people

»Barron    7988
saw this awhile ago, someone told me that when you smile your nostrils get bigger. Also his facial expressions are different. The one they have is old, how old? idk. Anyways he's smiling kind of with a small grin. Though on the right you see him giving that kind of blank/trying to stay up look. his eyebrows raise up causing his forehead skin to wrinkle up.

Ammit    5159
Was gonna say, pretty sure your nostrils don't look the same when you smile vs have a blank face. If you look at the bridge of the nose, as opposed to the nostrils, they appear to be essentially the same shape. The ear thing is dumb, he's at a different angle in relation to the camera in both pictures.

Wilson    12516
He looks like Reggie in the middle picture.