Indignation

The Official Tennis Thread

N e J i    902
Someone should quote every "Murray will never win a Grand Slam" post ever made in a single post. I might be one of the ones that would be quoted.

He fully deserved the title. Congrats to Murray.

anduril38    358
Expected the Djokovic fightback, but Murray played so well to win that 5th set the way he did, especially after losing the 4th.

When I said 2012 could be the best tennis year in a long time, I wasn't fucking wrong :)

Australian Open: Djokovic

French Open: Nadal

Wimbledon: Federer

Olympics: Murray

US Open: Murray

Finally, we can call the big 3 the big 4. This is only the 2nd time since the 2005 Australian Open that someone besides Djok/Nadal/Fedex has won a Grand Slam.
  • Upvote 3

Strife    613
So hilarious reading all the comments on the BBC over the course of this Slam trying to justify how AM was managing to somehow win all of his games. But yeah the guy has been on an amazing roll since pretty much Wimbledon started and you could probably make the argument that he'd have won that if they didn't decide to put the roof on midway through the match. Of course he's had to be typically British/Scottish by doing things the hard way.in having to always beat one or more of the top 4 in the semis and final, then of course he had to go 5 sets against Djokovic. Here's just hoping its the first of many as he deserves em.

Murray loses Wimbledon, grand slam open, guh scottish are useless, Scotland are rubbish, will never win

Murray wins US slam, open, wimbledon [size=7]OMG HE IS THE BEST BRITAIN RULES BRITISH ARE NUMBER 1 !!!![/size]

basically every news story in uk ever, winner = british, loser scottish. but massive props to murray its been a long time coming, Considering [font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Djokovic had a medical time out meant that murray just managed to outlast him, but god would murray have been pissed and dissapointed losing after being 2-0 in sets then losing it all, but it will go down in history as one of those gamechanging matches establishing the UK being represented in the top 4 tennis pros of the world .[/size][/font]

anduril38    358
He may not be that likable, but people have too much hate for him and need to grow the fuck up over the nationality issue, especially with the english murray haters bleating over him apparently going "I won't support England". He said it as a joke and didn't mean it, so lighten the fuck up people.

I am glad in that he managed to refocus and win the 5th set, but if he did lose that, it would have been crippling. Djokovic really stormed back into it, and to win the 5th in such a dominant fashion showed belief in Murray.

Big question for him is if he can capitalize on it. At the Australian Open and Wimbledon, certainly. I don't see him going near the French Open though.
  • Upvote 1

Malcolm's Multi    1789
it is still the big 3 and will never be the big 4. murray had one of the easiest paths ive ever seen to a finals in the us open. you knew he was gonna finally win one once nadal pulled out and fed lost to berdych playing out of his mind.

if murray has a good year next year and can win a slam then ill be more willing to mention him in the same league as nadal/fed/djokovic
  • Downvote 2

+Urthor    10220
[quote name='Pride' timestamp='1347539925' post='3279922']
actually i take that back. he will never be mentioned in the same breath as them.
[/quote]

Once upon a time you would have said Djokovic could [i]never[/i] compare to Federer or Nadal's achievements. Nadal went into the Wimbledon 08 final with betting odds of >$2 if I recall, compared to Federer's one and a bit, then look what happened. And the fact that Ivan Lendll is sitting in the stand goes on to show that you can never say never with these kind of things, shit happens and Murray could change and become the greatest Tennis player of all time and complete the Grand Slam. Just enjoy the next year or two while we still have Federer playing well, these are the best days of Tennis.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

anduril38    358
Bumping for the ATP World Tour Finals taking place this week.

Groups are:

Murray
Djokovic
Tsonga
Berdych

Federer
Del Potro
Tipsaveric
Ferrer

Yet again Federer gets an extremely easy draw. Only player in that group who's a threat is Del Potro.
  • Upvote 1

Lamp    1424
Amazing match, really entertaining.

One of the best point in the match: (Watch 'till the end for Novak's face)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kmgRO_Cm0A

anduril38    358
Probably my favorite best of 3 match of the year. It was pretty special.

Wish they made all event finals and Masters finals best of 5 sets again :(
  • Upvote 1

+Urthor    10220
I'll probably make a different thread just because people will go oh Australian Open thread time to post instead of just seeing the random Tennis thread.

Top 4 isn't looking like they're on their best form ever, might be a chance for Del Potro or someone.

anduril38    358
I can make a thread tomorrow if needed ^_^

I do wonder if anybody outside Murray/Djoko/Fed can take this. Nadals pulled out, im worried for his career now. Getting Rosol'ed really hurt him.

From the way of the draw, I reckon it'll be a Djokovic v Murray/Federer final.
  • Upvote 1

Indignation    2858
He pulled out again? Whens he going to recover? I thought the video I saw the other day of him training real hard made him look in tip top shape (I wonder if he cycles steroids...).

anduril38    358
I have no idea. I don't doubt he'll miss the clay season as he's god tier on it though.

Regardless, fucking psyched for the first slam of 2013. 2012 was a godsend in tennis.
  • Upvote 1

N e J i    902

So, Nadal just defeated JMDP in the Indian Wells Final and is officially back at full speed (though I think God Mode is still unavailable for now). Good or bad?

anduril38    358

Just updating this to let you all know that wimbledon starts today :) 

• Upvote 1

Faint    5847

15 minutes till Fed is on :)!

anduril38    358

Federer in good form in that match :) 

Is it me or does Djokovic has a really easy draw? 

• Upvote 2