Indignation

The Official Tennis Thread

+Urthor    10182

Murray has a chance of finding form.  A small chance but it's there.  

Raonic's a bunny who'll never get there tbh

+Urthor    10182

Murray can return his gold medal, admit to poisoning Federer at Wimbledon and apologise for ever getting compared with the rest of the big 4 if he's going to play like this

The only interesting part of this match is how much Djokovic is going to have to tank to make the match look close in the final

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10182

I feel like I've gotten a sneak peak of what Grand Slam semi finals are going to look like after Federer retires and it's not pretty.  Would put money on Djokovic winning 8 slams in a row somewhere down the track if Murray plays this depressingly, judging by Tomic and Kyrgios' trajectory the only real competition is that 18 y/o german kid, Tennis is gonna roll back to 2001 or some shit

everest    195

That was a disappointing match for Serena today. So many unforced errors. Even if she somehow scraped her way back to win, it would have been one of her ugliest wins of all time.

• Upvote 2

+Urthor    10182

Kerber did well but the amount of points that were Kerber hitting the ball into the middle of ad and deuce court and Serene making an unforced was just silly.  

Kerber was the deserved winner but low quality tennis from Serena.  

anduril38    358

They may as well pencil in Djokovic for every final this year, because it's what's gonna happen. 

There really isn't anyone on the tour who can beat him at the moment except an on-fire Stan and even then its 50-50... 

+Urthor    10182

On fire Stan was good but equally Novak wasn't at his real top of the game best.  Sad to say but I'd pencil in Murray at his 2015 best as the #1 challenger, which is a joke.  

I guess that whilst the 21st century is going to be giving us another kind of tennis player like the big 3, we should count ourselves lucky that 2/3 have been in form for most of the last decade or so, long term it'll probably form a chain from Federer to Nadal to Novak to Alexander Zverev, or maybe if one of the Australians gets his shit together and performs, but that's unlikely.  Maybe Kokkinakis, Kyrgios is a server and Tomic is a lazy shit who has left it too late to really invest in skills.  

anduril38    358

Murray came back into it the final 2 sets but Djokovic is a level above everyone. I fear that it's just become the Big One. 

Murray's lack of success against Federer and Djokovic since 2013 has crippled him, and he won't win another one unless Djokovic or Federer loses first. 

Nadal is out of it completely. He needs a new coach but too stubborn to do it. 

Federer can beat anyone but Djokovic. He'll never win another Slam unless Djokovic somehow gets beaten by someone else. 

Djokovic has made it 17 finals in a row, losing just two. The last time anyone beat him before the final of a tournament was Doha 2015 to Karlovic. He'll slow down eventually, but he's so ahead of everyone else it may not matter. The problem is there is hardly anyone up and coming to take over: 

Stan = brutal and potent when on form, but too inconsistent. 

Berdych: powerful but one dimensional

Raonic: improving, good run this year, but not enough.

Nishikori: Gets injured too often to make much of an impact. 

Ferrer: no chance of winning a slam, but credit for his grinding. No weapons kills him. 

Then there is the middlers: Isner, Anderson, Gasquet, Tsonga, Simon, Cilic, Monfils, Kyrgios and Goffin. All dangerous but will not make a huge run. Cilic obviously did but is turning into a Del Potro. 

+Urthor    10182

Gasquet has serious potential to take his tennis up a tier and enter the top 10 mix alongside Berdych Nishikori Ferrer tbh, he has looked the part at times

I do find it astounding though that Australia and France can build a stable of in the mix youngsters with the power of their national federations though, and Americuh fails miserably.  Gotta blame the university tennis programs for that tbh

Zverev n Kokkinakis, you are our only hopes 

anduril38    358

Gasquet had a good 2015, and has serious talent, but just lacks the intensity to take it up further. 

I am really happy for Kerber, but I was rooting for Konta to beat her. :) 

+Urthor    10182

The women's final just made me wish there was cricket on

anduril38    358

Haha. 

I quite enjoyed the tournament overall. Some good shocks, some really good matches and players in the mens and womens proved themselves; some excellent performance from players like Tsonga, Simon, Monfils and Raonic. Despite me hating Isner's playstyle, he had a fantastic tournament. Bit of a shame he hit his worst matchup in Ferrer or he would have been my pick to reach the QF. 

• Upvote 1

anduril38    358

Well Sharapova failed a drugs test. 

May be an honest mistake or not, but any ban longer then 6 months and that's pretty much her career over. Many were expecting her announcement/conference to be a retirement speech, so this could be the nail in the coffin either way. 

+Urthor    10182

It's not a mistake

a) the drug isn't legal outside of Russia and a handful of Eastern block states

b) 17% of Russian athletes tested positive for it at one point or another

c) it's a definite performance enhancer.  

d) It doesn't treat any of the diseases she listed herself as suffering from, Diabetes, vitamin deficiency, you name it.  Has no clinical use whatsoever for those, but it is a performance enhancer.

• Upvote 1

everest    195

Defending so many break points against the best returner in the game was astounding. Many of his aces came on such points I believe. Great game for Sam, and clears the board for Murray and Fed.

everest    195

Shame Isner couldn't outlast Tsonga. And Serena steamrolled her way to her 300th career slam win. 

anduril38    358

Isner just has no mental strength over a 5-set shootout. Notice he hardly wins ANY matches which goes to 5 sets, it's quite disappointing. Tsonga played amazingly well in that match though, 88 winners only 20 unforced errors. Hopefully he has enough in the tank vs Gasquet tomorrow.