Indignation

The Official Tennis Thread

Strife    613

Wow Steve Darcis, talk about match of your life. Sure Rafa wasn't 100%, but that doesn't take away from some of the ridiculous shots Darcis hit and reached. Maybe its just 1 tournament too many without rest for Rafa, hope he's back to his best for the US Open.

anduril38    358

I didn't see that coming. Great match tbh, I really enjoyed watching Darcis play. Shame for Nadal but he is still in contention for rest of the year, he should be fine in a few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10200

=-|

+Urthor    10200

On another note

Holy fuck I just got told Hewitt beat Wawrinka

anduril38    358

He did :) I wasn't expecting it, but Hewitt played amazingly. Draw actually looks decent for him to make a nice run :) Hewitt has a suprisingly big chance to make it to the quarter finals, if he can get past Isner. 

• Upvote 1

anduril38    358

Today at wimbledon is seriously like the Red Wedding....

10 retirements inc Averenka and Tsonga

Sharapova losing in straight sets

FEDERER losing in 4 sets. 

Like mind is full of fuck. 

• Upvote 1

Elements    569

free tourney for murray then ?

+Urthor    10200

Oh Tennis, it couldn't last forever

anduril38    358

free tourney for murray then ?

Not quite, Djokovic is still in. 

• Upvote 2

Lux    1558

I'm so confused after watching Wimbledon this week. Between the Federer, Rafa, and Sharapova upsets, and all the retirements, it honestly doesn't seem like a major tennis tourney anymore. Larcher de Brito was amazing, even though Sharapova was literally just slamming the ball as hard as she could out of rage, She isnt very graceful when playing from behind. lol

anduril38    358

Me too, but in a way I feel it's good for the sport. I'm all for the epic rivalry matches between the greats and their consistency has been immense, but I find it great when huge underdogs pull off upsets like this, makes it rewarding in a way. 

Federer by the statistics played a really good match, barely 12 unforced errors, he served well, hit a ton of winners, but his opponent played slightly better when it mattered and his serve and volley tactics worked great. 

• Upvote 1

N e J i    902

The thing with epic rivalry match-ups is that, bar some exceptions, the end result is always the same. Nadal wins against Federer, Federer wins against Djokovic, Djokovic wins against Nadal (outside Roland Garros) and all 3 win against Murray. Knowing this and then seeing this trend confirmed with the actual outcome of the match is kinda frustrating which is also why last year was so amazing with the 4 GSs evenly distributed by the big 4.

Lux    1558
I think we might start to see a decline in the "big 4" as far as the divide in skill between the 4th seed and the rest of the field. I mean Tsonga has always given Fed problems, Nadal isn't 100% healthy and may not get back there, Murray is spotty at times. Djokovic is still constant as far as his skill but he doesn't really seem to be getting better, he's just really good. Ferrer is alright, but I don't think he'll maintain his 4 seed by the time the US Open rolls around.

The women's field is completely different, right now it's just Serena vs the world. Nobody else has half the power that she has in her swing, coupled with her accuracy, she would probably be seeded top 10 in the men's brackets honestly. The rest of the women seeded highly are very spotty and, much like Sharapova did yesterday, try to do too much playing from behind (noticeably, as most women's matches don't make it to a 3rd set).

I enjoy seeing underdogs put up fights and performing well, as it brings variety to a lot of matches that, for the most part, are foregone conclusions in most people's minds. If you had told me Nadal and Federer would both lose in the 2nd round to unseeded opponents, I'd have said you were off your rocker. I'm a big fan of Fed though, and I'm not really happy to see him struggle like he did. He didn't really play that poorly, like you said, but he didn't put the ball where he wanted to, he just kept the ball in play, didn't really make his opponent work for points, and in turn let an otherwise inferior player play up to his level and take over more points than would be normal. It's the kind of performance where you hope there isn't some of health problem we just don't know about ailing him, we'll see.

+Urthor    10200

she would probably be seeded top 10 in the men's brackets honestly.

She famously lost a set 6-1 to the 30 y/o world 203 who started smoking on court as a joke when the Williams sisters were young and the new big thing.  It's like comparing male and female weightlifters, just not a thing.  

Serena+Roger mixed doubles.  Dear god, please one Slam, just one, before they both retire for good.  

anduril38    358

Only problem with federer for me is age, 31 is pretty old for a tennis player to continue playing at his level. I think he just got outplayed by an inspired opponent, much like Rosol and Darcis. 

I wouldn't give Murray too much criticism at the moment, although his record against the other top 3 is much lower, I'd say he's at least equal to Federer now, and he was by far the superior in the AUS open semi final. Nadal is his worst matchup but they haven't played each other since 2011, so time will tell on that one. Djokovic has a slight edge but I do think Murray holds a small advantage on grass. 

• Upvote 1

N e J i    902

I think Federer should take a vacation. Playing at the highest level is straining both physically and mentally. He's the type of player who's always fit, despite some injuries here and there but mentally, I think he needs to take a break to remember what is like to actually miss playing competitive tennis and to re-find his passion for the game.

+Urthor    10200

I should be sleeping but Tomic vs Berdych <.<

anduril38    358

Updating, Djokovic vs Del Potro, Murray vs Janowicz. 

This title, like last year, depends upon the Djokovic v Del Potro match. Murray played very badly today and he needs to play better if hes to have any chance at all. 

• Upvote 1

murray is 2-1 up but they stopped the match after winning 5 games in a row from 4-1 down, come on jerzy beat that lowly scot