silentsaiyan    271
i see everyone posting on how agents have a great grind game and the longer they stall us the worse it gets for them

so my thought is why dont we side messenger of peace?? im just throwing it out there we purposely stall just in case we get those bad hands of too many boss monsters or dead shineballs in hand...

im going to try it and let ppl know how it works out

JRJuggernaut    36
[quote name='silentsaiyan' timestamp='1354246761' post='3336093']
i see everyone posting on how agents have a great grind game and the longer they stall us the worse it gets for them

so my thought is why dont we side messenger of peace?? im just throwing it out there we purposely stall just in case we get those bad hands of too many boss monsters or dead shineballs in hand...

im going to try it and let ppl know how it works out
[/quote]

I remember going to a regional in October and when I had to play a mirror match my opponent sided messenger against me. I personally think messenger is neat in theory but I feel like you want to constantly apply pressure with this deck, which cannot be done with messenger up.
  • Upvote 2

DarkBlaze557    2106
Updated the first post with all of the top 32 Seattle decklists. Sorry it took so long.

Also: I'm not 100% on Robert Baca's list. I only found one copy of it on TCGPlayer, with no Youtube feature or anything. If anyone has a more reliable source, I'll update accordingly.

Paladinight    9
Well I've been testing Simon's list on and off since his performance at Providence and the build is honestly like average, except it's random in terms of consistency. For example you could have the best runs and say this list is ridiculous or you could just draw blanks for over half of the game and say why in the world did I see this now, etc. This is obviously because of the many one ofs that he chooses to run in the deck. The build isn't bad at all, however it does have consistency issues.

For me personally the deck draws pretty horrendously in G1 for the most part, the only reason I've managed to pull through a majority of my games is due to the fact that everyone is so bad at making obvious reads and playing around Tragoedia / Gorz that I can stabilize the momentum in my favour during either middle or late game to give me the win. I've asked all of my opponents what they had and showed them how they could have won given what I was telegraphing and simultaneously avoiding getting destroyed by Tragoedia and Gorz. That or I randomly nut draw the one ofs and steal that game for me. Honestly his list has problems against straight beatdown tactics, as any player that knows how to use their backrows in this match-up appropriately and board a standalone monster should win that game as it is fairly difficult to stabilize bar nut draws.

Simon's list isn't bad but it certainly isn't amazing either, however the direction he is taking with the deck certainly seems to be the correct way. Also Treacherous Trap Hole as a card is garbage, above average players know how to play around it or force you to flip it in an awkward situation, the card is obviously great against garbage people after you've taken out atleast two of their random MSTs who just play into it and lose equity like only a bad player would.

uNFrozen    19
So, this is what I've been piloting lately.

http://f.cl.ly/items/043S0h0z3b3V3w2A061A/Captura%20de%20ecr%C3%A3%20-%202012-12-02,%2023.08.21.png

Please disregard side and extra deck - they're both stupid and non representative of "the real thing".

The main point I love about this version is the versatility. I can either go super explosive with troopers and calls or just sit behind rai-oh and Roars for setup. I've been a huge fan of Roar on agents ever since I piloted pure agents two formats ago (with pretty hefty results). Here, it's the same. It makes you last longer, it's versatile and most often than not players will overextend into it for you to drop Hyperion / BLS next.

I do, however, fear this deck has a subpar long-game compared to other versions of agents.

I have regionals this saturday, the 8th, and I'm still polishing my main. I expect a meta of predominant Mirror match, Wind-up, Rabbit and Rogue. Merlanteans and Prophecy, as well as Inzektors, still haven't found their way to my meta. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

tichris93    667
[quote name='uNFrozen' timestamp='1354489929' post='3337882']
So, this is what I've been piloting lately.

[url="http://f.cl.ly/items/043S0h0z3b3V3w2A061A/Captura%20de%20ecr%C3%A3%20-%202012-12-02,%2023.08.21.png"]http://f.cl.ly/items...%2023.08.21.png[/url]

Please disregard side and extra deck - they're both stupid and non representative of "the real thing".

The main point I love about this version is the versatility. I can either go super explosive with troopers and calls or just sit behind rai-oh and Roars for setup. I've been a huge fan of Roar on agents ever since I piloted pure agents two formats ago (with pretty hefty results). Here, it's the same. It makes you last longer, it's versatile and most often than not players will overextend into it for you to drop Hyperion / BLS next.

I do, however, fear this deck has a subpar long-game compared to other versions of agents.

I have regionals this saturday, the 8th, and I'm still polishing my main. I expect a meta of predominant Mirror match, Wind-up, Rabbit and Rogue. Merlanteans and Prophecy, as well as Inzektors, still haven't found their way to my meta. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

torrential is way too good not to run

JRJuggernaut    36
[img]http://i.imgur.com/we4of.png[/img]

Took this build to a blood mefist tournament yesterday and made top 8 with it losing to chaos dragons for some reason (the guy ended up winning the whole tournament and was undefeated in the 6 rounds of swiss but it surprised me nonetheless, though he could have won merely because he opened heavy storm games 2 and 3). Either way I really like this build. Trag was a last minute change and I wish I drew him more but the few times I did draw him he came in handy. I honestly feel lance is necessary in agents, the ability to protect your monster for a turn can be so huge and being a combat trick can be useful as well. Also the reason why I didn't play chimeratech was that I had to submit a deck list sheet and by the time I realized I forgot to add it it was too late, plus the cyber dragons were a last minute decision.
  • Downvote 1

DarkBlaze557    2106
Had a ridiculously good local today. Jeff Jones was visiting and word got out, so we had a lot of competition show up. Had a turnout around 40ish people, with over half of them being some of the most competitive players of Colorado.

I was testing Simon's build again against Mermail/Atlantean before the tournament started, and I was having a really hard time this time around. I was getting wrecked by Water Arts and inconsistent hands, tech cards without plays (i.e. Creature Swap/Enemy Controller without good targets, etc.), and the more I looked around, the more water decks I saw. I decided I needed to focus on consistency and switched to the Trooper/Call version.

Here's the exact build I ran today:

[spoiler]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/POGLq.png[/img]
[/spoiler]

At the end of the day, the top 8 ended up being 2 Agents, 3 water, 1 Dino Rabbit, 1 Lightsworn, 1 Wind-Up (notable names were Adrian Shakir, Jeff Jones, Ellis Madallena (spelling?), Brendan Beckmann, and myself (though I don't really count as notable, I have to stroke my ego somewhere)). I lost to Macro Rabbit round 1 which opened the nuts, and in top 4 to a Lightsworn player who was just having an extremely lucky day.

I don't want to change a thing about the main deck. Maining 5 hand traps was excellent against all of the top-tier stuff we saw today. I was focusing a lot on preventing clogged hands, so I ran 1 Kristya, 2 Orange, 2 Call, and I didn't have a single clogged hand all day (minus the typical Shine Ball hands that happen).

I really, really liked the 2 Orange - 1 Veiler - 2 Maxx line-up with 1 Veiler in the side. There were match-ups where I felt Orange was better (such as Wind-Ups, or decks running double Trag), but there were also match-ups where I thought Veiler would perform better, where I could maintain strong hand advantage and still disrupt plays (Water and Dino Rabbit, specifically). So I switched between Veiler and Orange 3 out of the 7 match-ups I had.

The side deck is one thing I feel could use some improvement. I sided the double Gemini Imps because I didn't read Water Art closely enough and thought it would help. Dark Worlds have pretty much fallen off the map, and that's become the only match-up that it's really any good in. I'm also not sold on Soul Taker. It's versatile, but there's not a lot of situations where I felt like siding it would be helpful. I did end up siding it in 3 times today, but never drew it.

I feel under-prepared for the water match with the current side. I can really only side in the 2 Soul Drains in that match-up. I'm not really sure where else to turn for that match-up. I'm considering a third Soul Drain, possibly a sided Thunder King, or maybe Mirror Force.
  • Upvote 2

Nichigo    709
[quote name='Burn After Rolling' timestamp='1354496233' post='3337949']
I wouldn't play Trags without Max C's main decked.
[/quote]

Never really understood this. I see people say this all the time. I get the concept that fat hands = fat trag...but how many [decent] people are actually going to play into a Maxx "C" that results in you plussing [while you have a trag in your hand]? So while the concept is reasonable, the actual circumstances you'll run into don't really support it...or at least occur very rarely.

You should run Trag because you want it for what it does, and/or because your hand tends to stay fat for other reasons outside of Maxx "C". Maxx "C" shoudln't have to be paired with it.
  • Upvote 3

»victor    6400
[quote name='DarkBlaze557' timestamp='1354514569' post='3338193']
The side deck is one thing I feel could use some improvement. I sided the double Gemini Imps because I didn't read Water Art closely enough and thought it would help. Dark Worlds have pretty much fallen off the map, and that's become the only match-up that it's really any good in. I'm also not sold on Soul Taker. It's versatile, but there's not a lot of situations where I felt like siding it would be helpful. I did end up siding it in 3 times today, but never drew it.

I feel under-prepared for the water match with the current side. I can really only side in the 2 Soul Drains in that match-up. I'm not really sure where else to turn for that match-up. I'm considering a third Soul Drain, possibly a sided Thunder King, or maybe Mirror Force.
[/quote]

I mentioned it elsewhere, but there is some merit to playing Skull Meister over Gemini Imps.

Skull Master puts in work vs Water, while also being semi-decent against Dark World (which is seeing far less play).

It's also Dark for Chaos stuff, so that could be a factor as well.

Snarf498    267
Had a ridiculously good local today. Jeff Jones was visiting and word got out, so we had a lot of competition show up. Had a turnout around 40ish people, with over half of them being some of the most competitive players of Colorado.

I was testing Simon's build again against Mermail/Atlantean before the tournament started, and I was having a really hard time this time around. I was getting wrecked by Water Arts and inconsistent hands, tech cards without plays (i.e. Creature Swap/Enemy Controller without good targets, etc.), and the more I looked around, the more water decks I saw. I decided I needed to focus on consistency and switched to the Trooper/Call version.

Here's the exact build I ran today:

[spoiler]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/POGLq.png[/img]
[/spoiler]

At the end of the day, the top 8 ended up being 2 Agents, 3 water, 1 Dino Rabbit, 1 Lightsworn, 1 Wind-Up (notable names were Adrian Shakir, Jeff Jones, Ellis Madallena (spelling?), Brendan Beckmann, and myself (though I don't really count as notable, I have to stroke my ego somewhere)). I lost to Macro Rabbit round 1 which opened the nuts, and in top 4 to a Lightsworn player who was just having an extremely lucky day.

I don't want to change a thing about the main deck. Maining 5 hand traps was excellent against all of the top-tier stuff we saw today. I was focusing a lot on preventing clogged hands, so I ran 1 Kristya, 2 Orange, 2 Call, and I didn't have a single clogged hand all day (minus the typical Shine Ball hands that happen).

I really, really liked the 2 Orange - 1 Veiler - 2 Maxx line-up with 1 Veiler in the side. There were match-ups where I felt Orange was better (such as Wind-Ups, or decks running double Trag), but there were also match-ups where I thought Veiler would perform better, where I could maintain strong hand advantage and still disrupt plays (Water and Dino Rabbit, specifically). So I switched between Veiler and Orange 3 out of the 7 match-ups I had.

[/quote]

I like your build a lot actually. However I feel like the third thunder king is necessary, and that banisher's should be in your side. If you are having trouble with mermails those are both excellent cards. I also dont think veiler is that good, two herald and two c should pretty much cover everything.

»TS Fearless    7067
Playing this at regionals this weekend. Maining 3 Thunder King because unlike most of you guys in here, I think using any less is a mistake ;)
  • Upvote 8

d3monized    106
[quote name='Nichigo' timestamp='1354517702' post='3338218'][quote name='Burn After Rolling' timestamp='1354496233' post='3337949'] I wouldn't play Trags without Max C's main decked. [/quote] Never really understood this. I see people say this all the time. I get the concept that fat hands = fat trag...but how many [decent] people are actually going to play into a Maxx "C" that results in you plussing [while you have a trag in your hand]? So while the concept is reasonable, the actual circumstances you'll run into don't really support it...or at least occur very rarely. You should run Trag because you want it for what it does, and/or because your hand tends to stay fat for other reasons outside of Maxx "C". Maxx "C" shoudln't have to be paired with it.[/quote]

At best you Trag is going to be boosted by 2-4 cards in this deck. Herald of Light takes out 2 cards, plus the traps you'll be setting as well, as well as pushing with TKing, Venus and Trooper.

»orangeeyes    11863
Had a ridiculously good local today. Jeff Jones was visiting and word got out, so we had a lot of competition show up.
[/quote]
so people actually altered their day's plans around a yugioh superstar being at their local?

why wouldn't you play 3 Rai-Oh lol. I'd probably play 4-5 if I could. on the bubble at my local I lost to Geargias because I didn't draw a single one in all 3 games. ;/
  • Upvote 8

Snarf498    267
[quote name='TS Fearless' timestamp='1354550336' post='3338384']
Playing this at regionals this weekend. Maining 3 Thunder King because unlike most of you guys in here, I think using any less is a mistake ;)
[/quote]

mind sharing the list?

uNFrozen    19
[quote name='Snarf498' timestamp='1354569985' post='3338639']
[/quote]

mind sharing the list?
[/quote]

Same; plus, after further testing, I agree that 3 Rai-oh are necessary. And tbh, I don't think "not running Maxx" isn't a good argument as to not running Trag - Trag is good alone, and anyway most good players won't overextend into Maxx most of the times. Ofc it has its power upped by Maxx, but it's not really that vital imo.

caser    18
I Made top 32 of YCS Barcelona with this deck. I lost to Peter Gross, Inzektors, because of match up and my side deck.

Monsters: 30

3 Herald of Orange Light
3 Maxx “C”
3 Mystical Shine Ball
3 Master Hyperion
3 The Agent of Creation – Venus
2 Archlord Kristya
2 The Agent of Mystery – Earth
2 Tour Guide From the Underworld
2 Card Trooper
2 Thunder King Rai-Oh
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
1 Honest
1 Sangan
1 Tragoedia

Spells: 7

2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Forbidden Lance
1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Mind Control
1 Monster Reborn

Traps: 3

3 Call of the Hunted

Extra Deck: 15

1 Armory Arm
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Number 96: Dark Mist
1 Gachi Gachi Gantetsu
1 Daigusto Phoenix
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon
1 Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1 Temtempo the Percussion Djinn
1 Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction
1 Ancient Sacred Wyvern
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

Side Deck: 15

3 Soul Drain
3 Gozen Match
2 Cyber Dragon
2 Soul Taker
1 Thunder King Rai-Oh
1 Dust Tornado
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Electric Virus
1 Needle Ceiling
  • Upvote 3

Evolution`    2037
[/quote]
I mained 3 tking (;

JRJuggernaut    36
[/quote]
I personally find that it clogs when I play 3, plus I don't find the card good late game when your opponent already has a strong field presence

Obviously it can be very good late game when you are grinding it out, but I seem to find that doesn't happen often.

Snarf498    267
I just don't understand why you wouldn't play 3 Tking. He is an amazing turn 1 play against literally every deck and if you draw him alongside a warning/honest/herald the opponent is going to be forced to waste resources just to get around him, after that they'll be hard pressed to deal with the Hyperions+Other big monsters you'll be throwing at them.
  • Upvote 1

Darkoon    21
Why is there even a discussion about wether you should be playing 3 Raiohs or not? Like I thought it would be a staple at 3 lol...

Loaded Dice    1182
[quote name='Darkoon' timestamp='1354573153' post='3338683']
Why is there even a discussion about wether you should be playing 3 Raiohs or not? Like I thought it would be a staple at 3 lol...
[/quote]
Apparently not everyone thinks he is necessary at 3, but they are surely mistaken.

»TS Fearless    7067
Monsters - 25
3 Thunder King Rai-Oh
3 Master Hyperion
3 The Agent of Creation - Venus
3 Mystical Shine Ball
3 Herald of Orange Light
2 The Agent of Mystery - Earth
2 Tour Guide from the Underworld
2 Card Trooper
2 Archlord Kristya
1 Honest
1 Sangan

Spells - 5
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Heavy Storm
1 Dark Hole
1 Monster Reborn

Traps - 10
3 Call of the Haunted
2 Torrential Tribute
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment

This deck isn't even saved as Agents in my dn, it's under TKRO.dek. That's basically what it is, a Thunder King deck. I'm not sure if Alistar planned that when he built the first stages for YCS Indy but that's what it's evolved into. It's the card of the format and this deck supports it best. It lets you put TKRO on the field whenever the most optimal time is to shut your opponent down hard. The Agent engine supports it. Venus-Gachi boosts him to 2300. Your opponent has a problem monster on their field? Venus-Dark Mist to get rid of it, then flip Call and summon your TKRO there. TKRO makes the opponent want to play to a slower paced game so they can deal with it easier. So while they're trying to play slow and defensive, you put pressure on them with the Agent cards. Hyperion is there as extra pressure or backup if you need him, which is why I don't like adding Black Luster Soldier as an extra boss monster. It's just not needed, but atleast Hyperion fits with your Agents. Herald takes care of problems (or threats to TKRO itself) without making you use your negate.

TKRO is the card of the format. You have 3 of him, 3 Calls, Reborn, Troopers to dig you to him, and Agents to thin your deck out to him. Dont ever cut him down to any less than 3. Abuse him. People started taking him out of Wind-Ups, a deck where you could Rat-Rabbit loop and just have Leviair whenever you wanted to protect TKRO from Bottomless and Prison. Don't be like those people.
  • Upvote 16