wonderPreaux    1432

What exactly is wrong with upstart? It makes you more likely to draw into either a relevant hand trap or a live frog.

This isn't meaning to be antagonistic or snobby, I'm legitimately curious as to what the problem is. It just plain lets you draw all your good cards more reliably. I mean shoot, I'd run four maxx "c" or fader or treeborn or whatever if I could, but since I can't, I might as well do what I can to draw them more.

imo, the main issue is that upstart only works in "37 card decks", and monarchs arent that. moreover, monarchs are a controlly deck and theres no gamebreaking combo or w/e to try to rush towards.

• Upvote 1

Lang    901
Im curious why people arent using the horus engine in the side? Dragons are starting to use it to counter Prophecy. It isnt auto-win, but holy god theres a low amt of outs to it. Think siding Cancellers with Horus should beat them. Dragons should be an ok matchup, so this is back tp being a nats option

iFocus    311

Im curious why people arent using the horus engine in the side? Dragons are starting to use it to counter Prophecy. It isnt auto-win, but holy god theres a low amt of outs to it. Think siding Cancellers with Horus should beat them. Dragons should be an ok matchup, so this is back tp being a nats option

So instead of the invaders and EEV's it would be 2 lv6 and 2lv8 and 2 cancellers?

Im keep TTH because it's been working for me really well.

xam13124    13
Both Spell Canceler and Invader of Darkness are much better than Horus. All of them are outed by High Priestess, while Kycoo can out Spell Canceler and Jowgen can out a special summoned horus. Invader of Darkness has both fewer outs than Horus Lv 8, and takes up less room in the deck and leads to fewer dead draws, therefore its mych better than Horus Level 8.
  • Upvote 3

┬╗Tygo    14313

What exactly is wrong with upstart? It makes you more likely to draw into either a relevant hand trap or a live frog.

This isn't meaning to be antagonistic or snobby, I'm legitimately curious as to what the problem is. It just plain lets you draw all your good cards more reliably. I mean shoot, I'd run four maxx "c" or fader or treeborn or whatever if I could, but since I can't, I might as well do what I can to draw them more.

The point of this deck is to chip at the opps resources and LP's. Running anything that gives them extra time to set up ie letting them draw or gaining them life is the opposite. Room is another factor as previously stated, there are much better things to be run and this deck does not have to stay at 40 cards. At times, 41 is better than 40 just because of the amount of tech this deck can main to fight off bad matchups. Upstart does nothing but thin the deck out 1 card and give them 1000 lp which is something the deck often takes time to take back from them.

Both Spell Canceler and Invader of Darkness are much better than Horus. All of them are outed by High Priestess, while Kycoo can out Spell Canceler and Jowgen can out a special summoned horus. Invader of Darkness has both fewer outs than Horus Lv 8, and takes up less room in the deck and leads to fewer dead draws, therefore its mych better than Horus Level 8.

Good post.

Lang    901
Invader is also a double tribute as opposed to Horus 6 being a single trib. Idunno, figurd id bring it up. If one deck was using it, i dont see why another cannot

brian.inc    265

Invader is also a double tribute as opposed to Horus 6 being a single trib. Idunno, figurd id bring it up. If one deck was using it, i dont see why another cannot

it's most likely because dragons can search out horus with blaster, which is a huge edge over having to draw into it in this deck

• Upvote 3

that's entirely true but you could also say that you have to draw spell canceller too. it's an entirely valid point, but it being level 6 while also being bigger than hpop at the final form honestly is pretty cool

i haven't tested it at all though, but the idea seems neat enough. god knows we've discussed worse ideas in this thread.

iFocus    311

less and less prophecy players are playing less and less HPoP and more Kycoo. I think more and more spell canceller might be better as the only out they have in the kycoo build is crash the canceller but obviously u set the econ. or they have a faceup hall already...with kycoo.

With more people play the Kycoo build I think spell canceller will be better as u can puppet the kycoo then summon canceller and kill the jowgen or what not.

• Downvote 5

iFocus    311

yea i wasn't thinking. It would also make kycoo 1800 still even with a faceup hall...

Im thinking of making the side this though

3 Spell Canceller

3 Puppet Plant

2 Electric Virus

1 Obelisk

1 Invader of Darkness

1 Fulsier Dragon

1 Tricerafortressops

1 MST

2 EEV

• Downvote 2

yea i wasn't thinking. It would also make kycoo 1800 still even with a faceup hall...

Im thinking of making the side this though

3 Spell Canceller

3 Puppet Plant

2 Electric Virus

1 Obelisk

1 Invader of Darkness

1 Fulsier Dragon

1 Tricerafortressops

1 MST

2 EEV

you should do more of it before you post

• Upvote 7

Has anybody tried siding Soul Release for the prophecy match up? I just thought of it, and if you can remove their spellbooks than it seems like they have less to go off with. Not an extraordinary idea, but it seems alright

wouldn't white horned dragon pretty much be the same thing, namely, probably mediocre?

i feel like there are too many other cards to be siding to use soul release.

i still have to figure out what i'm cutting for puppet plant. probably end of anubis, card isn't nearly as real as it was when mermails were played more.

Lang    901
Horn takes up the summon tho. I always had this mindset, if u can play a s/t, do it. Idk maybe he will work out bx he can get beefy

xam13124    13
I feel like White Horned is a better choice than Soul Release for the fact that the Dragon is an Eradicator target. While it does use up the summon, it comes out very big and you will not always have something else to summon. Obviously both cards have their pros and cons, however it seems to me that the fact that Dragon works with Eradicator, which is our best win condition against Prophecy, should outweight the fact that he needs to be summoned. White-Horned can also make Ptolemy and be recycled by it which should help a lot. Soul Release deserves some more testing I guess but I doubt it will work out that well.

On another note, Ive been reconsidering how much of my side deck to focus on Prophecy. I currently have 6 cards in the side that are there almost entirely for Prophecy, but even with them the Prophecy matchup feels almost impossible. So what I have been thinking about is cutting most of those cards to focus more on other matchups, giving up any chance of beating prophecy in a match to further strengthen all our other matchups. Depending how much if the field actually plays Prophecy in any given tournament, this could either be a very good or very bad meta call. The fact is that the Prophecy matchup is an uphill battle, no matter how much I test I seem to have to get incredibly good hands to beat Prophecy. Maybe Im just crazy, but is it worth it to side a bunch of cards for a matchup that seems almost impossible anyway?
  • Upvote 2

iFocus    311

I feel like White Horned is a better choice than Soul Release for the fact that the Dragon is an Eradicator target. While it does use up the summon, it comes out very big and you will not always have something else to summon. Obviously both cards have their pros and cons, however it seems to me that the fact that Dragon works with Eradicator, which is our best win condition against Prophecy, should outweight the fact that he needs to be summoned. White-Horned can also make Ptolemy and be recycled by it which should help a lot. Soul Release deserves some more testing I guess but I doubt it will work out that well.

On another note, Ive been reconsidering how much of my side deck to focus on Prophecy. I currently have 6 cards in the side that are there almost entirely for Prophecy, but even with them the Prophecy matchup feels almost impossible. So what I have been thinking about is cutting most of those cards to focus more on other matchups, giving up any chance of beating prophecy in a match to further strengthen all our other matchups. Depending how much if the field actually plays Prophecy in any given tournament, this could either be a very good or very bad meta call. The fact is that the Prophecy matchup is an uphill battle, no matter how much I test I seem to have to get incredibly good hands to beat Prophecy. Maybe Im just crazy, but is it worth it to side a bunch of cards for a matchup that seems almost impossible anyway?

I agree. I played alot of game 1's vs a teammate of mine and it feels like if they win the dice roll they immediately win. Kycoo and Jowgen are really and in the matchup they will search for a wisdom and with Fate set its like why even play g1. since they have already won g1 it's like they have won the match since they start g3.

If your going to take the Spellbook side out are you going to make your side solely for dragons and rogue decks. monarchs have a good matchup vs evilswarms and so it's like will you just make on tricerafortressops and stuff like that.

xam13124    13
Im gonna test having no side for Spell Books at locals this saturday. I already max out Trifortressops, however the 3rd Obelisk and Electric Virus are definitely in, as is a Dust Tornado. Not entirely sure what else id add, possibly gonna keep Eradicator in the side anyways since its also great against Evilswarms and just might steal a random game against prophecy however unlikely that is. I really would like to get more input on what everyone else thinks of this.

iFocus    311

Well i don't know about your locals but if your locals are rogue and meta maybe side rykos for the fissures and macros. i'd say snowman eaters but ryko is more versatile. if u want to keep eev in i'd just drop it to 2. but it seems liks spell canceller might be better with more kycoo less prophecy builds.

3 obelisk is iffy to me but 3 virus seems good. are u maining 3 fortressops? im maining 1 right now and siding the other.

dexer008    861

The key to beating prophecy I've found is not to go for the spells, but rather their monsters. You keep those spellcasters off the board its easy sailing usually. Its hard to do in frogs though, what with anything used for tribute summons relying on special summoning and having <1400 atk.  Perhaps monarchs should forbode the use frogs right now and focus on other engines that can provide easy tribute fodder but at the same time keep the threat. Ignoring the Prophecy match-up will get you no where either, At a big event there is bound to be 1-3 probably playing it, maybe more. If you just play at locals though and know no one plays it the by all means go ahead, as its obviously you making the meta call.

iFocus    311

I guess Windup Rabbit is the best target with Thunderbird. Rabbit gets over jowgen thunder can potentially get over kycoo. the 2 maxed will take care of the frog engine of 6. this is if we decide to take out the frog engine. that would mean taking out econs for something else. maxxing on Puppet plant is a must though. I'm tempted to try TWA and see if it gets me anywhere.

I'll do some playtesting with it vs priestess and priestless versions of the deck.

Im really thinking about maining a Puppet Plant. Yes it's really only optimal vs Spellbooks but dragons will make Cblader vs us at the first opportunity to seal the game next turn. Yes it's not like i'll have the puppet plant for them as soon a CBlader is summoned but it allows for us to have an out to the Jowgen or Kycoo that is killing us. Vs Evilswarms it only hit's the castor but I mean the matchup isn't hard for us so I think one card won't kill us.

Puppet Plant will Take:

1. Jowgen

2. Kycoo

3. Big Eye

4. Crimson Blader

5. Evilswarm Castor

6. High Priestess of Prophecy

6. any other problematic or free tribute warrior or spellcaster

• Downvote 11

The Main Event    261

I guess Rescue Rabbit is the best target with Thunderbird. Rabbit gets over jowgen thunder can potentially get over kycoo. the 2 maxed will take care of the frog engine of 6. this is if we decide to take out the frog engine. that would mean taking out econs for something else. maxxing on Puppet plant is a must though. I'm tempted to try TWA and see if it gets me anywhere.

I'll do some playtesting with it vs priestess and priestless versions of the deck.

Im really thinking about maining a Puppet Plant. Yes it's really only optimal vs Spellbooks but dragons will make Cblader vs us at the first opportunity to seal the game next turn. Yes it's not like i'll have the puppet plant for them as soon a CBlader is summoned but it allows for us to have an out to the Jowgen or Kycoo that is killing us. Vs Evilswarms it only hit's the castor but I mean the matchup isn't hard for us so I think one card won't kill us.

Puppet Plant will Take:

1. Jowgen

2. Kycoo

3. Big Eye

4. Crimson Blader

5. Evilswarm Castor

what the actual fuck?

Born Stupid    40

I guess Rescue Rabbit is the best target with Thunderbird. Rabbit gets over jowgen thunder can potentially get over kycoo. the 2 maxed will take care of the frog engine of 6. this is if we decide to take out the frog engine. that would mean taking out econs for something else. maxxing on Puppet plant is a must though. I'm tempted to try TWA and see if it gets me anywhere.

Puppet Plant will Take:

1. Jowgen

2. Kycoo

3. Big Eye

4. Crimson Blader

5. Evilswarm Castor

Never show your face here again.

• Upvote 1

iFocus    311

we all know i meant windup rabbit lol. edited post...

• Downvote 5