▲Ɐ▲

top 10 humans

»...Arson    7757
Wasn't it "Who do you think did the best?"

So if you think Hitler and Jesus did the best then that's all you man.

▲Ɐ▲    3878
i will be clear:
[i]whether the ten are your 'most important figures in history' or your greatest sources of inspiration (or whatever else) is totally up to you[/i]
  • Upvote 1

Baylife    1462
Sort of going of who has changed the world the most/large changes are caused by the person.

Jesus Christ, Pretty simple should be on any list
Adolf Hitler, wwII and other reasons
Harry Truman, dropped the atomic bomb changed warfare forever.
J. Robert Oppenheimer, father of the atomic bomb.
Vladimir Lenin, Russian revolution/marxism.
Osama Bin Laden, brought terrorism front and center.
George Washington, Founding Father etc.
Saint Peter, up there with jesus.
Thomas Edison, pretty important inventor.
Ronald Reagan, end of the cold war.

List is probably a bit to modern but eh
  • Downvote 3

»...Arson    7757
i brought this up at work today to kill time. we also mentioned edison. my co worker made a good point. he said lets start from the basis of how different the world would be if this person had never existed.

leonardo da vinci was mentioned. isaac newton. ramses II. there were alot more.

»◌ ◌ ◌    4267
people who've had the most influence on my life:
My father (always encouraged me to do what I wanted with my life)
Cody (got me into a lot of the shit I am now and definitely helped me find myself)
Skylar (helped me find myself and took me through an experience I genuinely needed)
Rich Cathodes (introduced me to cinema and a lot of the music I enjoy/am inspired by)
Ping Liu (taught me vital learning skills that I've used far out of the context he taught them to me in)
My mother (made me scared of people, but I ended up overcoming it and instead just don't relate to most which is quite cool. not being sarcastic either)
My sister (taught me a lot about empathy and is a really cool person in general)
Alex Orr (one of the few people I've kind of helped craft I think. he's a cool guy and has helped craft me too)
Jeffery Arick (piece of shit kid I met when I was 9 and hurt my feelings. made me realize I can't trust some people and that there is a lot of scum out there)
Kendall B. (first girl I ever did anything with. made it possible for me to find Skylar and shit so she is just a proxy 10th tbh)
  • Upvote 2

i'll be the douchey guy who says tesla > edison

food for thought: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100
http://www.dlmark.net/hundred.htm
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2020772,00.html
  • Upvote 1

»...Arson    7757
[quote name='Exiled' timestamp='1347763393' post='3281710']
people normally have Johan Gutenberg on top of their lists in terms of world changing influence
[/quote]
he was discussed. as was tesla vs edison.

»...Arson    7757
a friend said bill gates. created an OS that brought computers to the masses.

Ammit    5159
[quote name='Mr. T' timestamp='1347767764' post='3281738']
nah he stole it from steve jobs

who had stolen it from xerox
[/quote]
the whole bringing it to the masses i think is more important than its actual invention though.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

SSJ Grumpig    5621
i'll order them later

hannibal, son of Hamilcar Barca - just a personal pick cuz i like him but one of, if not the, greatest military commanders in history
alaric I - sacked rome, the defining moment of the fall of the western roman empire
alexander III of macedon - created one of the largest empires in history while remaining undefeated in battle, became a paragon for military commanders even in modern times
adolf hitler - launched WWII and the Holocaust, turned the world upside down in a few short years
nikola tesla - key figure in the development of alternating current, the world runs on it
jesus christ - founder of christianity, shaped the face of the western world. ties in with muhammad (crusades etc)
qin shi huang - started 2000 years of imperial rule in china during the warring states period, connected existing fortifications to begin what would be the Great Wall
johannes gutenberg - inventor of the printing press, enabled the modern world to exist
muhammad - founder of islam, unified arabia and ties in with jesus christ
charlemagne - the first emperor in western europe since rome fell, pulled europe out of the dark ages with the carolingian renaissance, called the father of europe
  • Upvote 1

»Catalyst    197
i can't believe none of you listed "first man". if he didn't mate none of us would even exist. he is pretty important.

also I know Ash is trying to troll here, but I think he was outdone by the guy with Ronald Reagan. hilarious.

Wilson    12516
who exactly is the "first" man though?

you might be better off saying the progenitor of blue eyes, apparently some guy in Europe 5,000 years ago.

Wilson    12516
it's generally pretty difficult to pinpoint specification though.
  • Upvote 1

»Catalyst    197
what i'm saying is that identifying who exactly was first is completely irrelevant because we know first man exists and that's all that matters. finding out who he was specifically or what he even was is completely besides the point if we factually know that there's SOMEONE who is it.

Wilson    12516
I'm not saying that you should try and find out who I was, I'm saying that by the very nature of evolution that the "first man" isn't something that exists.

»Catalyst    197
Of course it exists, the first man is the man who came first. What I'm telling you is that we do not need to figure out which exact species or genus is first. He is a variable, X. Just know that he existed, because that is a fact.
  • Downvote 1

»...Arson    7757
isn't evolution gradual though? wouldn't it be silly to give more importance to one link in the chain?
  • Upvote 2

Wilson    12516
exactly, there is no first man, because he was the son of another man.

»Catalyst    197
Ok, let me explain it this way.

Somewhere evolutionary, there was someone that met the standard to be classified "man". It does not matter what the standard is, or who reached it. It's factually agreeable that there existed someone who was the first homo sapien. It does not matter who he was, what he did, what he came from. Just because Homo Sapiens EXIST, we can deduce completely that there was someone who was the first homo sapien. That homo sapien, is first man. It's gradual yes, but there is someone who reached the state first. Someone was first born the way we are, and then he mated to make more of us.

Evolution is gradual in the same sense that cooling or boiling water is gradual. It changes over time yes, but there is some point where that thing turned into something else. Water gradually turns into ice, but there is a point in the exact process where the first molecules of water turn into ice.

I hope that makes sense.
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2