Donnie

Prophecy/Spellbook - Discussion

Z3r0    10

Lol@ I can't learn a format in a day. You dunno me, I can CREATE a format in a day -_-;

Edit: [/justjokinimnotjokinjustjokinimnotjokin]

The AO is back? <3

• Upvote 1

+scuzzlebutt    23563

donnie shut up are u serious

»Logic    2038

KRIS SAVED METAGAME?

I DONT EVEN PLAY YGO ANYMORE AND THATS FREAKING AMAZING.

»orangeeyes    11863

Lol@ I can't learn a format in a day. You dunno me, I can CREATE a format in a day -_-;

Edit: [/justjokinimnotjokinjustjokinimnotjokin]

The AO is back? <3

what the FUCK how are you still alive

• Upvote 3

»orangeeyes    11863

I mean you're not going to learn how to play any deck by just reading the OP, coming in and expecting to learn the format in one day is a bit delusional, this Dgz not here to babysit you.

That and this deck isn't even that hard to play to begin with.

The pre-tachyon discussion actually mentioned all the small nuances, and shit, but when I remade the thread for tachyon, I figured most serious players don't need to be told to play around droll and summon Jowgen.

There are even lists of Nat's topping builds, so I do take offense when you say this is the least informative OP, because that's just not true. I think the majority of us are done with this format, so no there are no US nats lists, but even still it's better than most all other threads.

tl; dr idk know who max is.

it IS the least informative OP though. there might be good reasons or excuses for that but that doesn't change the fact that its the least informative OP.

this is apparently one of the two best decks in the format (although I'd never know why or how by reading the post) and the thread has been up for almost a year yet for some reason there are no pictures of the cards, no plaintext, no explanation for why the cards are good or how they fit into the deck, not even full names of the cards. just "uhhhh this is card x, it's really good cuz it does this vague thing, but you already know that guys!" putting abbreviations of cards is mildly annoying too. if you want to actually be informative you can type out "Reinforcement of the Army" instead of RotA

fractal    2488
Donnie, you remind me of the Aussie kid from the video posted in YGO Gen, about his shitty Spellbook Deck: "I've been playing this since it came out, so I know what the fuck I'm talking about." I mean, this is DuelistGroundz, so if you're going to make an OP, you should be talking about all of the little nuances. Those little nuances are what separate the good from the great. People don't come to DG to learn how to activate Spellbook of Judgment. They come here to learn how to play around checks and counters.
  • Downvote 1

Spadaro 3    1581

This deck is actually really hard to play, well. Any moron can win with this deck but basically everyone sucks with it. I think that's why this deck isn't absolutely dominating, which is unfortunate :/

• Upvote 5

Sanjura    6663

that and dragons have the ability to consistently turbo into their win conditions (storm, hole, card destruction) and legitimately kill you before you can reestablish board presence. soo yeah.

Donnie    2189
I disagree, but whatever. No one even reads the OP tbh, but still it's not any better or worse than any other so I'm not sure why the sudden griping about it is coming up.

Are you legit downed Celes, how is me saying this is Dgz do it yourself, at all comparable to someone saying they are better than everyone else, if anything it's the opposite.

This is a deck discussion thread, not a discussion of the deck discussion thread.

Donnie    2189
Giant pictures of cards is not information, if anything it makes the threads a pain to read, ups load time, and unnecessarily causes it to be long.
  • Downvote 2

»neptune    3789

If this deck doesn't get absolutely slaughtered, I think something incorporating Azure Maiden or World would be pretty cool.

Naythin    4650

People do read the OP, actually. When this deck was first getting hyped I hopped onto this thread to read the OP and get an understanding of the deck. Frankly, I learned next to nothing from the OP. You pretty much just list the cards that are used-- you don't have the effect text and you don't have the numbers/ratios you should run. I learned more by copy and pasting the card names into Google and going to the Wikia pages.

Pictures help because they a. give card text since you failed to include that and b. allow people to visually see the card so they can recognize it in things like DN screenshots. The OP of the deck discussion should be a place for people who have no idea of the deck to get their bearings for the deck. Read the Wind-Up discussion OP from last format-- it had everything you needed to know about the deck and more. 

»Sharpman    4801
So I don't know if any of this will be helpful to you guys, but a friend of mine wanted me to write down everything I knew about spellbook so I did. I don't have pictures or anything cause I typed this up on mobile but if you want to throw it in the op go for it. I haven't played spellbook since a few weeks before nats so some of this might be outdated/incorrect, so please filter it. Just wanna share what I know.

[spoiler]

Spellbookmagician of prophecy
Level 2

Whenever he is normal summoned or flipped face up, it is mandatory he add a book to your hand. You can reuse him by setting him with fate which is very useful for upping judgment counts or star hall counters. You use two of him to xyz the most important monster in the extra deck, Shining Elf. Play 3. You can search this guy off secrets and reveal him for Master's effect.

Justice of prophecy
Level 3

Justice of prophecy can use its effect so long as you have used a spellbook at any point during your turn. So even if you summon it off judgment day, you can get its effect off before ending your turn. Usually you'll be adding priestess and whatever SPELLBOOk you need next turn.

High Priestess of prophecy
Level 7

The big booty bitch. The boss. Big momma. She flops herself onto the field by revealing 3 spellbooks in your hand, and can banish a card from your grave OR hand (relevant versus kycoos) to destroy any problem on the field. I usually play 1 with 1 justice to tutor it.

Kycoo the ghost destroyer
Level 4

Kycoo is just the best card against the meta. He prevents dragons from banishing monsters from their grave, and even banishes fodder for their summons for later use. (Don't ever banish a mommy with his effect unless they've already banished 2 and you'd be cutting off a color!) in the mirror, he banishes monsters for towers effect and he PREVENTS YOUR OPPONENT FROM USINH FATE. Unless the capitals weren't hint enough, that's very relevant. Use 3. Kycoo+jowgen is a hard field for dragons to break.

Defender the magical knight
Level 4

This monster protects your field with spell counters, and generates one himself. He must protect all spellcasters you control or none, and you must have enough to do so. Thankfully star hall generates infinite counters. Using him to protect jowgen from dying even once against dragons is insane. In the mirror, the same can be said to protecting kycoo. Use 1 maybe side a second.

Effect veiler and droll & lock bird

Not sure how I feel about these. Very meta dependent, they don't have big bodies and are only really good for getting a body off a 1 card jday. I'm recommending not playing life so veiler loses a lot of usefulness there without it because you can't really tempest magician. Droll is obviously good in the mirror so consider your meta when deciding to use it.

-----

Spellbooks
N - normal
QP - quick play

Spellbook of secrets - N
The real heart and soul of the deck. Gets you any spell or spellbook magician except for itself. Use 3

Spellbook of judgment - QP
Yeah this is a card I hate it so much I refuse to say anything about it

Okay fine *twitch*

This card is what makes this deck more than unfair. For every spell activated by your or your opponent after this cards resolution, during the end phase, you can add up to 1 spellbook spell to your hand except more judgment. Then, you can special summon a spellcaster equal to or less than the level of books added. Use 3

BE CAREFUL - if you end the turn without using judgment, it is accepted you just chose to add 0 cards which falls in the "up to" category.

In the mirror, you can flip this card in your opponents draw phase to effectively freeze them for the turn because if they try to push, then you just regain all your cards in the end phase.

Spellbook of the master - N

You have to control a spellcaster to use this card. You reveal one spellbook card in your hand, and that allows you to copy a normal spellbook in your graveyard. More on this later. Typically, this is the card you will recycle with tower because it copies the other ones. Use 2-3

Spellbook of power - N
This card gives any spellcaster you control 1000 more attack. Then, if it kills anything by battle, you get a spellbook spell from your deck. If you kill a token, or your monster dies too,
You still get the search. Use 1-2

Wisdom / lance vs power

SPELLBOOk of power, upon resolution, places a lingering effect upon the monster. Once that resolves, as long as that monster stays face up, they'll keep the boost and the ability to add a card when they kill something. If you opponent activates wisdom or lance later in the turn (or you do to protect from a trap) it will have no effect on what power has done. However, if the card is chained to power, it will negate power since power doesn't resolve first. Simple enough?

Spellbook of wisdom - QP

This card is the biggest card in the mirror, being able to render fate power star hall useless on your opponents monsters, and being able to power your monsters then protect them from traps. A setup of kycoo/jowgen + fate and wisdom is very strong and barring some power cards, hard to break. Use 2 maybe 3 idk

Spellbook star hall - cont

This card gives you a spell counter for every spellbook spell either player uses. Also, when destroyed, it can add a spellcaster to your hand equal to or less than the amount of counters at its destruction. The best use of this card is it is a "cost less" activation for jday, ie, you can use it at any point in the combo with no draw back or requirement. Use 2-3

Grand spellbook tower
This is what gives the deck it's recursion power. Every standby phase, you can return a spellbook from the graveyard to the bottom of the deck to deck to draw a card as long as there's a spellcaster in your field or your grave. When it's destroyed, you can special summon a spellcaster from your deck equal to or less than the books in your grave. This effect will also trigger if its destroyed in your hand (eradicator defense), this is key because getting a kycoo or jowgen after an eev can get you back in the game at least versus dragons because big eye + eev takes a fair bit if investment. This cuts off their options. In the mirror, don't just throw your tower into play - they'll use theirs and wipe yours out causing it to miss timing.

Spellbook of eternity - N
The second half of the recursion engine, this recycles your banished books. It lets you add one banished one to hand. NEVER EVER BANISH THIS CARD WITH FATE UNLESS YOU WILL DIE DOING SO. Play 1

Spellbook library of the crescent - N
This card gets the ball rolling. If you have no books in your grave, you choose 3 spellbooks with different names from your deck. Your opponent randomly selects one and adds it to your hand (they don't get to see which one they pick, only the 3 books you initially reveal as proof they're books). You can copy this with master as the "no books in grave" is an activation condition, not an effect. Keep in mind, you can't use non spellbook spells the turn you use this card. I run 3

Spellbook of fate - QP
This card has three effects, each by banishing 1-3 spellbook spells from your grave. You do this at activation, then apply at resolution picking your target then. This card doesn't target, so thought ruler won't stop it. If you opponent tries to protect one card, you just pick another one. You can use this to bounce set cards, flip monsters face down to protect against power + wisdom, flip magician faxed own to reuse him, and banish anything your opponent controls. This is your main tool of removal to protect jowgen, since you only need to protect against their one normal summon in most cases. Keep in mind it's quick play, which means it can be used during the same end phase you add it to your hand with judgment. You'll use this technique to either a) deal with a monster or problem card on your turn while having a 2nd fate set for your opponents turn and b) flipping magician face down after adding with jday and special summoning another guy so you can re use magician. A) is the best way to deal with double dracossack, you'll typically use power to smack a token, get fate, set it, and then add another to your hand to hit the first dracossack, and your second fate will dispatch the second one on your opponents turn.

Spellbook of life - equip

I don't like this card because its no good versus jowgen or kycoo and its not a "cost less activation" and doesn't do anything until you get two guys in grave. I play 0.

I hope that's all of them

Extra deck

Shining elf
This is your strongest monster aside from priestess, as it is effectively a 2100 beater without boosts. Kycoo stand alone can die to reactan / opposing kycoos, but shining elf usually can't because of its effect (barring outside boosts). Run 1.

Tempest magician
Tempest gets an honorable mention because you can kill people with it with all the star hall counters flying around.

Cowboy - extra 800 damage for game
Daigusto Phoenix
Zenmaister - resetting magicians
Utopia - protect jowgen/kycoo
Pearl - beats ophion
Gachi - boosts kycoo/jowgen past reactan + stream attack barriers respectively

Playing around droll and lock bird

This is important. If you look at your hand and see "jday secrets" don't just whip them on the table. I think it's reasonable to evaluate your hand. Can you get to three spells without searching? If so, use magician and secrets (and master if you're copying secrets) then use jday + 3 spells. This is where the "cost less activations" of tower and star hall come in handy. Spells like upstart don't do well cause they leave you open to droll, but playing your searchers first allows you to hold judgment day for next turn if you get drolld. Keep in mind searches off power are in the damage step so they can't be drolled, so you can use power+master copy power for 2 counts then search for two more without fear of droll.
Edit: this being said, don't neuter your judgment day to 2 just to "play around droll". You need to assume a commanding lead with your judgment, and a jday for 2 against dragons typically won't scare them.
[/spoiler]
  • Upvote 8

Max    430

I've figured it out already.  for what it's worth, the Dragon deck OP is very well done ;]!  edit:  could still use some sideboarding advice.

Gadiel_VaStar    231

For this deck, you need to play it a lot to understand it just like E-Dragons. I know a lot of people say the decks don't take skill, but they do because it is important to know what to: banish, add to your hand, set-ups for next turn, when to synchro, when to attack and the rest of the basic stuff. Mirror matches are also very important.

Also, if this deck gets hit a lot, then Magical Mallet/Reload build will prove itself as the best build. I feel the build is the better version atm even though not a lot of people play it, but whatever. At least you don't have dead hands, and is statistically better at hitting Judgement: http://blog.coretcg.com/mallet-and-reload-the-best-prophecy-build-yet/

{Yara}    19
With this deck if I play 
Spellbook Library of the Crescent
Then respond with 
Spellbook of Judgment
Do I still get 1 Count on Judgement 
Wording and mechanics are so much different then MTG is and I don't have a comprehensive rules book that explains stuff like this besides KDE says so. >.< Insight and answers appreciated.  

+Urthor    10234

no, zero counters on judgment

What crescent is doing isn't called activating once you start moving down the chain, the card effect is resolving.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Btw, is Maiden too good not to run? She makes practically all match-ups bar the mirror a lot easier. The ratios are another thing, most seem to play 1 of her and BEWD, while a few are playing 2 of each. It's pretty revolutionary to have a good tuner in the deck that doesn't "suck" like Veiler does in that it can't standalone for shit.

{Yara}    19

What are the thoughts on the Summoner Monks in the SB of this deck being able to go t1 Shock Master In the Mirror seems devastating or Utopia and Kycoo. Its not card advantage but its a lock-down right?  

TFJ    618
Opponent using a tower over yours won't miss timing.

tsgreen    1594
Tower doesn't activate when destroyed by game mechanics.

TFJ    618

Tower doesn't activate when destroyed by game mechanics.

I was just responding to the spoiler that said it would miss timing, which was wrong if Tower worked.

But thanks for catching me.