Sign in to follow this  
Medb

Rental Car

Medb    773
Considering I've never rented a car, but I hope to in order to visit someone. I was curious about all of the things that could pose problems. I'm only 22, and Enterprise wants to tack on a huge charge for being under 25, so is there an issue with having the car rented in my moms name, then me actually driving it (I'm also on her insurance)? I know they also require a deposit of 100 dollars, and you get charged for any damages done to cars. I'm a pretty safe driver, and about 98% of the trip would be on the thruway so I'm not all that worried about damages. Most rental places require a credit card, but does anyone know if they actually require a credit card, or would my NFCU bank card work, since I've heard various things? Also, would one of the prepaid credit cards you can get work if the bank card doesn't? Since this is my first car renting experience, I'm trying to get as much information about it that I can so I know everything that's going to be needed.

So essentially, in bullet points:
What do I need to bring to rent the car?
Is there an issue with it being rented in the name not of the driver?
Do I need an actual credit card, or does a bank card work?
What kind of cars are most fuel efficient (476 mile drive so I want to keep gas cost to a minimum, since it's just myself and not much baggage)?
Any other tips, things I should know about?

┬╗Derezzed    1026
If its just you, get an economy sized car, or the smallest they have available. There shouldn't be a problem with you driving under your moms name, just don't get in a wreck. I've done that before when I was 18. I don't get how you can pay for the car, but not drive it without the insane fee.

If you do a bank card, they put an extra hold on it (security deposit).

As far as reqs, I want to say they ask for proof of address and your (your moms) license. Nothing else I can really think of outside of that.

Medb    773
Ah okay. Well, I was expecting the security deposit regardless of what kind of card I used. And yeah, it's just going to be me, and probably a suit case, maybe 2 depending on what I bring. Any specific recommendations for cars? As in, ones that I should look for specifically based on how they usually handle and gas efficient they are?