»antispiral    1006
I've recently started this game, and I think it has a lot of potential. It is based on an old CCG called Netrunner that had much of same core as this one.
It was released in September 2012 and basically shot to the top of the [url="http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124742/android-netrunner%20"]BoardGameGeek[/url] Rankings (currently at 15).

In Android: Netrunner, one player plays a megacorporation and another plays the runner. The runner's goal is to steal the corporation's Agendas via "runs" against its Servers, and the corporation's goal is to defend and score these agendas via "ICE," which are programs that protect the Servers. The runner has a Rig, which stores Programs, Hardware, and Resources of his own that can help defeat the ICE that threaten him/her.

Android: Netrunner is like Magic/Yugioh in how you build decks, but has a much stronger theme. You choose a identity for your deck, and the card choices you make will be directly based on what identity you chose because you are limited in how many out-of-faction cards you can put in your deck.

As you could see from the blurb, A:NR is an asymmetric card game. Unlike Magic/Yugioh, where you can have mirror matches and what not because you two could theoretically play the same deck, A:NR eliminates that because each side has a different card pool. The runner can only use runner cards and the corp can only use corp cards.

Sounds expensive right? You have buy two whole different card pools? Nope. A:NR is a "Living Card Game," which means that it eliminates random Booster Packs from the CCG/TCG model; you theoretically get all the cards you need by buying the box and then expand with "Data Packs" that are also fixed and not random.

Anyways, it has a pretty cheap entry point, looks like it'll be well supported (4 planned "data packs" already), and has a really cool theme/story. Has anyone else checked it out?

Resources:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=40zPxzV7P8k"]A:NR Review[/url]
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Android-Netrunner-Living-Card-Game/dp/1616614609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355710806&sr=8-1&keywords=android+netrunner"]A:NR on Amazon[/url]

i've been playing the shit out of this game lately. i haven't picked up a second/third base or the first pack yet, but i may eventually. i'm kind of wary that it actually will turn into a money sink.

once it gets some of the key cards the original had it'll be a pretty nice game, for sure.

»antispiral    1006
[quote name='pkmn prof. grant' timestamp='1355711760' post='3349561']
i've been playing the shit out of this game lately. i haven't picked up a second/third base or the first pack yet, but i may eventually. i'm kind of wary that it actually will turn into a money sink.

once it gets some of the key cards the original had it'll be a pretty nice game, for sure.
[/quote]
yayyyy. another one!

yeah i'm sure it'll start becoming a money sink, but probably less so than ygo/mtg. i got two copies of the core set for 20$ (msrp $39.95) each from amazon a few weeks ago. the "data packs" are msrp 15$, with 4 data packs a cycle, and i'm guessing they'll release cycles in boxes, so i think it won't be that bad in the long run...

quick question: do you sleeve your cards? i'm wary of screwing up my cards too much so i want to get some protection, but i'm wondering what fits.

also, i really hope they release a pack that fills out all the cards from core to threes. i think that it was smart so people would buy multiples, but kinda grimey. :/

Jesus the Jew    985

I recently checked out this game. It's insanely fun and incredibly skillful. Also the theme of hacking is a refreshing theme change from the standard monsters/lifepoints of most TCGs.

+Gojira    1708
Richard Garfield is pretty good at making card games, I hear.

+Gojira    1708
[quote name="muscular black grant" post="3446271" timestamp="1364952670"]he also is not involved in this game at all[/quote] I know, but this IS based off of his Netrunner game. The non-random pack thing seems great, I'll definitely see if I can get some friends to learn this.

Miss Click    2475

Richard Garfield is pretty good at making card games, I hear.

Richard Garfield is vastly over-rated. Kudos to him for creating the genre but he hasn't really improved upon it in any significant manner since.

Anyway, Asymmetrical game play confuses and scares me. 

Jesus the Jew    985

The asymmetric gameplay is very important to the theme. However, I don't think it should be all that worrisome. It is harder for someone not familiar with board/card games to get into this, but if you play any of the main TCGs, it should be easy to get a grasp of the rules. I really like the pacing in this game and the importance of bluffing.

the asymmetry is one of the most appealing things about this game. they do a pretty good job of balancing everything too. though again i don't think enough people have devoted time and effort to "solving" the game so i don't think you can say for certain whether it's balanced/skill-intensive or not.

Miss Click    2475

> Buys Android: Netrunner
> Sees Netrunner facebook group
> Sees this

Gentlemen and, theoretical, ladies the Dublin Netrunner group is very pleased to announce that we finally got our act together and are ready to launch our official Netrunner League!

To kick things off there will be an opening tournament on:
Saturday the 22nd June, 12am in GamersWorld Dublin! 

The tournament will consist of two to three rounds of swiss and then a top 4 play-off, with prizes taken from the Season 1 kit as seen in the attached link.

This tournament will be the first of 4 to 5 League days, which will be held once every three or so weeks and will count towards your league standings and any achievements/prizes you may earn at the close of the league in three months time!

So that's that, tell your friends, tell your loved ones, tell strangers on the street (provided you can tell they play Netrunner) and make sure that you don't miss this event!

Oh fuck yes. 

• Upvote 1

Miss Click    2475

I'm still looking through cards. I'm slightly pissed at the way the Core Set is handled but whatever. 

I haven't looked through much else but I think I really really like Shaper. It reminds me of those mana-ramp decks in MTG and the likes. Something I've always been fond of.

Miss Click    2475

Well that's disappointing. They worked alright in Z/X.

So that Professor is hilarious. Not sure if good yet because I don't know enough yet but hilarious nontheless.

Miss Click    2475

Had a small league Tournament today with Weyland and Kate only from Core (but with some 2-of's maxed).

R1 Weyland wins. Shaper lost.

R2. Weyland wins. Shaper lost.

R3. Shaper wins. Weyland lost

I however lost the complete matches though, once my fault becaused I went for Scorched Earth while he had 2 Agenda points to my nil.

Regardless, those games were intense and I'm definitely looking to pick up some data packs. I'll probably stick with Kate (Big Rig/Orca Dog looks interesting).

There isn't really any corps that resonate wth me though so I'm just going to stick with Weyland because Scorched Earth is a little bit insane.

Miss Click    2475

Going try to breathe some life back into this thread (since it really would deserve its own sub-forum if enough were interested)

Chaos Theory

40/40 Cards

15/15 Influence

3 Sure Gamble

3 Test Run

3 Diesel

3 Quality Time

3 The Maker's Eye

2 Demolition Run ****

1 Stimhack *

2 Magnum Opus

2 Gordian Blade

2 Snowball

2 Ninja ****

2 Medium ******

3 Dyson Mem Chip

3 R&D Interface

2 Dinosaurus

3 Personal Workshop

1 Armitage Codebusting

Firstly, the deal with 2 Magnum Opus and 1 Armitage Codebusting is just a matter of inconvience of not having a third Magnum Opus (fucking Core Set). To be perfectly honest though I'm not entirely sure if I would need a third Magnum Opus once Self-Modifying Code is out; I should have enough searching/drawing that I'd still be close to playing one first turn which is ideal. I'll wait to see what else is in Creation & Control before cementing that conclusion though.

I've been debating the Mediums; Without a Chip I don't have enough room for Opus/Medium/Full Rig and R&D Interface is generally better and doesn't suffer from Virus Purging. Medium also requires two runs to be effective as well which I'm unsure of. If I were to take them out, I'd probably replace the Snowballs with Corroders and Mediums with more stimhacks. This would also make the Dyson's somewhat redundant because I wouldn't have enough programs to overload my memory. (2, 1, 1, 1 with 5 MU).

Personal Workshop is such a weird card; I've found it so slow for me when I could easily (and most likely preferably enough) used those clicks for Opus. Which is a fucking amazing card. I'd almost consider modded over it

I can't find my NBN TWIY Tag & Bag deck for the moment so I may post that later.

Any thoughts or considerations?

Mr. Jank    16
Ive really been wanting to build a shaper deck using the professor. Dont really know where to start as im new to the game. Any suggestions?

Miss Click    2475

you should be playing more copies of the good cards and fewer copies of the bad cards

Wow. There is actually quite a few mehtastic cards in there.

I keep hearing people bitch about Atman/Datasucker but I just think it seems okay at best unless I'm missing something.