orangeeyes

Fat rights, fat pride, fat-shaming, etc...

Aaron    2047

I've just skim read here but saw a quote about health & fat/weight.

Well, firstly being obese is a risk factor for fuck loads of diseases... way too many to list.

Secondly in the UK atleast, your weight will impact on certain medical treatments available on the NHS once you're over a BMI of 30 including things like IVF/infertility treatment.

I don't really agree with people making fun of those who are fat but I was fat when young and although the horrible words said when I was young did hurt me, they made me lose weight, become healthy, determined and better than all the people who did make fun of me. 

• Upvote 1

»CheyMcFly    4637

So yeah, some of these people are just crazy. However, if I wanted to just make fun of stupid people from the internet I wouldn't have started this thread in Debates. The questions/issues I want to discuss are:

-What valid points, if any, do these groups make?

-Is every overweight person, given that they're able-bodied otherwise, capable of losing weight? I often see the argument "just because it was easy for person A to lose weight doesn't mean it will be easy for person B to lose weight", but I'm not yet convinced that a significant percentage of overweight people have hereditary problems making it highly improbable they'll lose weight. I don't know enough about the science behind this though.

-Should overweight people lose insurance benefits for staying fat? This is assuming the legislation is actually objective and reasonable. Or is this just punitive and inhumane?

-Is "fat acceptance" okay? As in, should fat people be okay with their condition without anyone telling them otherwise?

-Check your privilege

-That spoiler contains many ridiculous statements. Just because you are not fat does not mean you are healthy. There is such a thing as being underweight and it is becoming a bigger issue nowadays. Anyways being skinny does not make you superior to those who are overweight and that's how a lot of those statements came off to me.

-Everyone CAN lose weight, but maybe not a significant amount or enough to be considered 'skinny'. There are health issues that make you gain weight and some that make it nearly impossible to lose it. 

-Fat people should only lose health insurance for staying fat if underweight people lose it for being underweight. That is ridiculous and I do not think they should lose it. 

-Yes fat acceptance is a good thing. I am not saying you should encourage people to be unhealthy but you should also not discourage them to stop being themselves. If they are happy and reasonably healthy there is no issue with it. Even if they are unhealthy that is not your place to say anything unless you are their doctor, friend, or family member and want them to get healthier.

Not everyone can or wants to look like a model. Love all sizes. 

Wilson    12516

its just because you bring it up everywhere dawg.

Speaking of which having no foreskin hasn't stopped me from bringing it up anywhere.

I may enjoy bringing this up in ten years.

Speaking of which having no foreskin hasn't stopped me from bringing it up anywhere.

yeah, that's part of why i do. i think society has just been so desensitized by the widespreadness and history of the practice. so i want to shake it out of apathy. in the parts of africa where fgm is practiced it isn't very seldom brought up as a moral or humanitarian issue. everyone's just so brainwashed into thinking its normal and not questioning it, they just mindlessly perpetuate the practice. foot-binding in china, same story. mothers get their feet mutilated, then they go right around and pass it to their daughters. when the reformers came around the turn of the century and told ppl foot-binding was wrong, chinese society thought they were really fucking annoying to say the least (cue atem's spiel about "dragging humanity kicking and screaming into the light"). but they were right, and their campaigning led to the end of the practice. so i feel like me being "that fucking annoying guy" is a small price to pay for protecting children's bodies. i don't like the hate, but i'm willing to take it.

you said you've never gotten off from getting sucked? if you don't mind me asking -  don't you wonder about that? maybe if you had all your erogenous tissue you'd be able to really enjoy it?

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34681

yeah, that's part of why i do. i think society has just been so desensitized by the widespreadness and history of the practice. so i want to shake it out of apathy. in the parts of africa where fgm is practiced it isn't very seldom brought up as a moral or humanitarian issue. everyone's just so brainwashed into thinking its normal and not questioning it, they just mindlessly perpetuate the practice. foot-binding in china, same story. mothers get their feet mutilated, then they go right around and pass it to their daughters. when the reformers came around the turn of the century and told ppl foot-binding was wrong, chinese society thought they were really fucking annoying to say the least (cue atem's spiel about "dragging humanity kicking and screaming into the light"). but they were right, and their campaigning led to the end of the practice. so i feel like me being "that fucking annoying guy" is a small price to pay for protecting children's bodies. i don't like the hate, but i'm willing to take it.

you said you've never gotten off from getting sucked? if you don't mind me asking - don't you wonder about that? maybe if you had all your erogenous tissue you'd be able to really enjoy it?

I do enjoy it. My issues in that department are completely mental and due to my dysthemia.

But seriously, its like, put it back in the deck already. You're actually a contributing member of the community so its not a big deal, but dont go all Shaman on us.

Dawgy    2039

i think its certainly accelerated in recent times thanks to the internet. any random idiot now spouts their ideas about what's "healthy" and what isn't

On the flip-side of this, I also believe that the Internet accelerates the rate at which certain 'accepted' ideas are called into question.

It's called the 'information super-highway' for a reason. I'd be willing to say that ideas come AND go nowadays faster than they ever have been able to before.

So I'd actually consider this a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2047

I blame the schooling & education in schools for obesity.  Their pyramids of food or pyramids of bullshit as I like to call them and stupid as fuck uneducated teachers, trying to teach children about being healthy.

I quick google, sitting down for an hour or maybe at a stretch two, on bodybuilding.com will show people they can drastically change their body, lifestyle and life... but no, schools want to simplify healthy living to the extent its fucking useless. 

• Upvote 1