Sign in to follow this  
DanLaMartina

2014 Mazda 6

DanLaMartina    278

Mazda totally out did themselves this time. It's not typical that a factory production car resembles anything near the concept car. I will be turning in my lease hopefully a few months early in the spring to pick this bad boy up. Pretty stoked. Don't know which color yet :(

2014-Mazda6-front-left-view.jpg

2014-Mazda6-left-side-1-1024x640.jpg

black_2014.jpg

white_2014.jpg

• Downvote 2

+rei+    34503
pics are useless without specs.

DanLaMartina    278

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=M6N

Notables: 

Engine Type - 2.5L SkyActiv-G - 184 HP

38 MPG Highway

300 lbs. lighter than previous generation

Only $150 more than previous generation 

Grand Touring Trim - $29,495 - Adding on packages isn't necessary in comparison to EVERY OTHER manufacturer on the market.

For $29,495 you get all the bells and whistles

- Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps

- LED Day-running lights

- Navigation

- Bose Audio - 11 speakers + woofer

- Moon-roof

- Heated leather seats

- 19 in. silver painted aluminum alloy wheels

- Advanced key-less entry

• Downvote 1

+rei+    34503
You can drop the hype machine I'm sure its reasonably well equipped, my concern was if they pulled a passat and threw only 140 horses in there. You really don't need to go gunning at "ZOMG EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER" either.

I'm concerned about lack of low end torque on a car that size/hp but its not like 180 HP is awful. Looks solid. I can't get over-enamoured with it though, I mean who cares it's a mid sized sedan. Ultimately I think I'd rather a year old 328i.
  • Upvote 2

DanLaMartina    278

I mean it's not hype lol. If you want an Accord, Altima, or Camry, you can expect to pay $30,000+ for a top trim level and then an additional $2,000+ for the 'bells & whistles', and you will find yourself creeping up near $40,000 really fast. It's one hell of an aggressive price model.

Also in June they will be releasing the same car with a 2.2L SkyActiv-D Engine. Turbo charged diesel. Highest Compression ratio of any diesel on the market. 300+ ft. lbs torque, and around 170 HP. I may hold out for that, but I would need to know how much of a price premium will be on that sucker. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34503
Okay if they go diesel I'd buy the shit out of that. Kind of a diesel fanboy (and why I put up with 140 horses; gotta love 236 lb/ft torque)<br />(and you can get a camry for $23 000, so the trim premiums are somewhat moot)

DanLaMartina    278

The new Mazda6 resembles a Camry or Accord? Do you wear glasses? lol

If anything the front end is almost identical to an Infiniti FX. 

1200640_1.jpg

+rei+    34503
Mazda's pulling a Hyundai with this one in terms of "take lots of stylish attributes of more expensive cars and put them in a midsized sedan that doesn't cost a fortune" - it works pretty well.

Honestlty I think my big beef with this car / this thread is I can't get excited for a midsized sedan that's front wheel drive and/or 4 cylinder.

DanLaMartina    278

I think that's everyone's beef tbh. It's a clash between the power lovers and gas lovers. With the discontinuation of the RX series, the Mazda3 speed, and the V6 Mazda6, it seems they are going the route of the gas lover. They're all about their SkyActiv technology now.

There is hope though, the diesel they are putting in this should be pretty superb. Would take that over a V6 any day. 

+rei+    34503
Agreed (and I did, it's why I drive a TDI), though my next car will likely be a BRZ/FRS or RX-7
(btw they announced they'll be relaunching the RX-7 in a few years, but 2017 is a long time)

Honestly if they made the Mazdaspeed3 an AWD car it'd be a fucking behemoth.
As far as drivers go the MX-5 is still one of the best handling cars there is, its just a lil bit, yknow, metro. I'm also too tall for an MX-5 or I'd already be driving one.

I've soured on mazda a little bit seeing as I was scammed by a local dealership (by the way Erin Mills Mazda are scam artists do not ever go there) but the prospect of a new RX-7 is exciting as shit for me. admittedly part of this is being a motoring hipster (I like 'alternate' engine configs like diesel or wankel) but god I love the RX-7 (and 8 though not as much)

DanLaMartina    278

Yeah I don't know if you can blame Mazda for the shitty dealership, although it still sucks. My dealership is on the smaller side. The same service guy is always at the counter when I go for an oil change, and they only have like 3 salesmen. Very warm 'homey' feeling, and everyone there is nothing but helpful. Between my dad and myself we've accounted for 4 sales, and the potential for 2 more in the spring when we will be getting new 6's. 

Also I think it's only a matter of time until they re-introduce a new 'sport' car. I don't see any issue with having at least one beast, to join the other 5-6 puddle jumpers. It's fine to have a company focused on the whole gas saving ordeal, but I think it's healthy to have a sharp contrast somewhere in your business model.  

+rei+    34503
yeah they scammed me out of $500 so thats a bitter taste even if i like their products. lol

They already announced RX-7 for 2017, I think the MX-5 can hold them until then

+rei+    34503
if i can fit in it i will be overjoyed.

Max    430

nah dude, Rei, those things are fucking race cars.  I assume you're talking about getting a speed.

Edit:  Just noticed there is no MAZDASPEED version of the Mazda6 (or any other Mazda) this year.  I would not buy a new Mazda unless it's a MAZDASPEED Mazda, or a Miata :)!

get the Miata, sign up for AutoX in the spring, live a happy life.

Max    430

also the only reason to buy an RX-7 is if you're gonna do an LSX swap.  why would you ever buy a car knowing the engine's only good for 100k ?

+rei+    34503

fun

DanLaMartina    278

Test drove this for my 2nd time on Tuesday. If you didn't know, you would think it was a V6. It has more pep in it's step than my old Maxima had and that was a 240HP V6. It's actually quite impressive. I can only imagine what the diesel will be like.

Max    430

fun

more fun with an LSX ;P!

Those Mazdas look nice dude, and I'm sure it's a great car.  it'd just take more than that for me to buy a new car, especially if it's not a Mazda Speed.

• Upvote 1

Max    430
Nice. How does it drive ?

DanLaMartina    278

Like a dream. Sticks to the road like glue.

Handles exceptionally well (that's been Mazda's mantra for years though, and they've stuck to it) Nobody touches them here. 

Even though it's only a 4 cylinder, 184HP engine, if you didn't know, I could tell you it was a V6 and you would believe it. Never feels sluggish. Exhaust has a nice stock 'throaty' growl to it as well. Very pleased thus far.