Miss Click

House of Cards

Miss Click    2475

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vx_LwDiXeJE

Please, Kevin Spacey, stop breaking the fourth wall. My fragile mind can't handle it.

So basically, A Game of Thrones (Political, backstabbing and all that other messy stuff) but in the White house.

Seems good.

Edit: Dear god, apparently Netflix uploaded the entirety of season 1 in a single day, which is apparently 12 episodes. 

• Upvote 11

Oceanus    1127

I'm very impressed by the first episode. But surely I need to re-watch it. I love the fourth wall. But I'm obligated to watch it, I give anything by Fincher a chance.

Oceanus    1127

Definitely becoming a phenomenal show for me as of CH5.

It reminds me of [i]Game of Thrones[/i], but of course more obviously political (Washington setting); they're both political thrillers. And there's so many characters in each. If you know nothing about one going in, you have to pay the utmost attention and learn the characters as they appear. There's not quite as many in [i]House of Cards[/i], but there's plenty of time sharing. I'm definitely interested in all the characters, but Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood is too fascinating to ignore. You want to see more of him, and he's the only character whose thoughts you get direct exposure of through the fourth wall. That's scary because he's a scary character.

His story reminds me of Light from [i]Death Note[/i]. He is a master schemer, and he possesses an invisible power about him that he uses to persuade, corrupt, and bluff for defense. He begins as a nobody, but not in Light's sense. He was seconds away from his ultimate ascension (Secretary of State), and is betrayed at the last second by the new President of the United States. Thus begins his plot for revenge. Like Macbeth, he sees illusions of grandeur-- possessed by a remarkable ambition to take what he can from all those who betrayed him. His wife has her own agendas as well, and is his support and ruthless conscience (although, she seems to be gaining moral fiber, one of the many "signs" he's missing.)

And what is scary is that you can hear his thoughts. Light was a character that voiced his thoughts as well, and it characterized him and made him who he was-- you could keep up with when he finally went over the edge, when he went too far and into the realm of insanity. That may very well be Underwood's fate, because they share the same weakness-- the belief that they are invincible.

It's almost as if [i]House of Cards[/i] was designed top-down with the name of the original novel in mind first. From there, a story was crafted that perfectly fit the title. Underwood is brutal and terrifying impressive, but all the signs are there that he's getting deeper and deeper into his obsession. He navigates the darkness expertly, but every problem he answers with an ultimatum of aggression and deception... and for how long he can continue to deceive his enemies is the million dollar question. They are closing in around him. He is building his house card-by-card because if at any point any of his opponents realize the existence of each other, they could unite and topple him and his ambition just like that.

But like Light, he is met with many obstacles but is constantly successful at pulling out a win. But with both, their enemies are closing in all around them. They are leaving subtle mistakes the whole way, and somebody will pick up on one. That's what's concerning, because it's obvious to anyone seeing the story from afar that this is build-up, that he cannot keep juggling all these lies; and what will it finally lead to? A story like this you know can't end will. The final thoughts are always grim: How much will he lose? How will he fall, what will do him in? And will there even be anything left of him, or will his ambition take everything?

• Upvote 4

Oceanus    1127

Kevin Spacey plays such amazing villains.

• Upvote 4

+mmf    23356

actually really like this show so far

• Upvote 1

N e J i    897

The only bad thing about this show is that the first 2 episodes directed by David Fincher and edited by Kirk Baxter are on a class of their own which is somewhat unfair for the remaining episodes. After 10 seconds of episode 3, I knew it wasn't Fincher directing and that was kind of a turn off. Still, I think they did a great job in keeping a high quality level throughout the series, and by the end of it, I can honestly say it really is amazing as a whole. Kevin Spacey breaking the 4th wall, specially in the first 2 episodes, is boner inducing.

Sage.    757

This show is really, really good.  Frank Underwood is such an intriguing character, and Clare complements him SO well.  The story is interesting and paced extremely well, so that they don't rush through things but you're also never bored.  I really like how every couple of episodes are directed by someone new, it keeps it fresh but doesn't change the show up too much.  The way they play with the fourth wall is very well done, too.  There aren't too many monologues to make it simple and easy to guess, and the looks Spacey gives the camera every so often match exactly how I feel beforehand.  If someone's being stupid, you can see in his eyes a brilliant look of "are you fucking kidding me?"

Can't wait for Season 2.

• Upvote 2

Oceanus    1127

Ch. 8 was a moving episode for me. It's different from the prior ones, and actually feels like a different series, a series of good men. But it represent nostalgia to Underwood. Everything about this episode is sad because it represents a part of him that he could have kept up with, and could have been a good person for. But that's all it is. He tries to understand what the military academy means to him, and comes up answerless; "it meant a lot to us then". And it's true. It was the turning point for him. It was a different direction that creates good men, and Underwood certainly is no good man. It is meaningless to him because the villain he is today has nothing to do with this place of honor. And that's why the episode ends, the aerie ends, and he gives it a short stare of this nostalgia before walking away to the main theme and getting back to his real life.

Also, it's so hard to watch Peter's story. It's so hard to see an honestly good person be manipulated and controlled episodes after episode. And it just continues with this one, because he is making such amazing progress as a character, and it's hard to know that when you step back and remember that he is just a play thing of Underwood's. He is hopeless while Underwood is in the picture. And I just hope that he isn't dragged under with Underwood in the end. He deserves better than that.

Nothing describes Underwood's cruelty better than the end of Ch. 7 with the genius metaphor: most of of us would trap the spider under the wineglass so it couldn't escape, it acknowledges it is trapped and reserved to its fate. But Underwood traps the spider with the wineglass up, because he knows it still can't escape up the side of the frictionless glass. He has no fear that it is any threat. But now the spider has hope, it can see the sky, it can feel the air of freedom, just maybe it can get out if it struggles hard enough... but it is useless. Now think about that alongside Underwood and his play things like Peter.

• Upvote 6

Naythin    4650
Started watching per recommendation of brighteyes and am really impressed so far. Really interesting to see Netflix "original content", especially something with such a strong cast and writing/production as this. Could this be a sign of things to come as far as Netflix's own brand of shows? I feel like if they were to do that and made more shows of the same quality they could definitely go toe to toe with the shows on premium cable which have sort of died out recently.

Naythin    4650

Finished this up today. Without a doubt one of the best series I've watched in a long time. Everything about it is fantastic, can't wait for season 2

»victor    6398

im going to pick up this, dexter, spartacus or sopranos next 

Dexter is garbage after the first few seasons.

This and Spartacus are really good entertainment.

Sopranos aren't as fun as Spartacus.

Oceanus    1127

Peter's story just makes me sad the longer it goes on. He starts by jumping between being a good guy and an addict; then being a corrupted puppet; then actually becoming a good person with no chance of being allowed to be. It's completely and utterly depressing watching it pan out.

• Upvote 3

fake    4788

paid sex ruined his life

is this u mr t 

is this the path youre heading down

hookers and blank checks 

• Upvote 8

Faint    5619

He would've managed to get in another way, I think he adapted to that loss very well and really did turn a bad situation into a good one (for himself, nobody else).

Oceanus    1127

[spoiler]Honestly, nothing else made me shit bricks until out of nowhere comes a rival emperor puppetmaster at the last second that has manipulated the whole show since the beginning.[/spoiler]