Digbick

does playing yu-gi-oh makes you an immature and irresponable adult

+Digbick    7230
So here's the story, my mom is really mad at me because i spent a hundred dollars last week for goyo guardians and the ycs austin trip. She thinks " your stuipd yoga card" is keeping me from becoming an adult. Yet I told her that i make a good sum of money from yugioh. She went " oh thats good, you can sell your stupid yoga cards for car insurance". Apparently if I sell my cards I will magically become a responable and mature adult. I told her I can't sell it because it means a lot to me. I made serveal good friends, memories and lesson from yugioh. Is mom right? Should I just stop playing yugioh. Its the only thing I have in life. I lost a lot of interest in game.
  • Upvote 26
  • Downvote 1

Tedmund    472

if its something that you enjoy then theres is nothing wrong with that. You do what YOU find pleasurable, that is much more "adult" like then simply following and forming your choices in life around others people opinions and what other people tell you is right and wrong.

• Upvote 3

Squiddy    9171

deres a difference between hoby and job i think yoga is a hobby so i never try to profit or make $ frum it, i just spend $ cus its something u do to hav fun like a sport

i think as long as u no the fine line and u focus on ure life and scool and do yoga on the side it is ok, just dont over do it like a tourney every day or something then it shld be OK  maybe sit down and half a talk with ur mom abt it being a hobby like i did  =)

• Upvote 23
  • Downvote 2

Mascis    4429

Yu-gi-oh is supposed to be your hobby right? If you want it to continue to be your hobby you need to learn how allocate time to it and to real life (school/job/career/ect.). If Yu-gi-oh is cutting in to your real life necessities then maybe you should take a break. If not, then do whatever you want. Keep playing or find something new to be your hobby if you're losing interest. 

Don't let your mom bully you, then you'll really be an adult.

• Upvote 8

»Relianah    4515

deres a difference between hoby and job i think yoga is a hobby so i never try to profit or make $ frum it, i just spend $ cus its something u do to hav fun like a sport

i think as long as u no the fine line and u focus on ure life and scool and do yoga on the side it is ok, just dont over do it like a tourney every day or something then it shld be OK  maybe sit down and half a talk with ur mom abt it being a hobby like i did  =)

Basically this, it's a hobby, what's the difference if your hobby is playing hockey/collecting coins etc. etc. as long as you don't stupidly waste all your money/time into it and screw over the other important aspects of your life (school/work) then it's nbd. Like I'm sure your mom has a hobby which could seem "stupid".

• Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716

suidly diddly pu it  rite on teh treck ov teh 

yeah, i was going to say there is more to the story then this but if you got your life in line like squiddly diddly said (and other ppl i think, i sped red) then shes at fault. i of course have had the same problem with my mom (although i wasnt making money lol) but once i showed more maturity and stuff like that (got my lisence got a job, etc.) im sure shell lighten up. shes just worried about you or shes retarded. idk which.

i could post a lot more on the topic but idrwt :/

• Downvote 8

»ACP    33379

How old are you?

Also, you're a fucking moron for buying a bunch of Goyo Guardians. Your mom couldn't bring up that point because she doesn't have a clue what a banlist is, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to recognize a fake one.

• Upvote 42

+Urthor    10182

Do you: college/high school/have a decent full time job and aren't 25 and still live with your parents?  If so tell her to get off your case you could be doing much more ridiculous hobbies in your spare time.

Allen he brought a bunch of Goyo's and resold them for a profit before the banlist was confirmed, he didn't lose money.  

• Upvote 5

»ACP    33379

His post implies otherwise. Why the fuck would his mom be mad at him for buying a bunch of Goyo Guardians and immediately reselling them for more?

+Urthor    10182

He posted that he won on the trades in the March thread.  And my parents would have given a shit if they knew I had emptied my bank account for a YGO trade, even if I was buying a really under-priced binder that made 100% sense if you were in the know.  

»ACP    33379

Your mom is wrong about yugioh making you irresponsible, but if you claim to "make good money" from yugioh but can't pay for your car insurance, you likely don't have a clue what "good money" actually is. The "I play yugioh to make money" argument is completely delusional and probably applies to less than .1% of the people actually playing this game. The "I play yugioh because I enjoy it" argument is much more sensible and easier for other people to relate to.

• Upvote 10

Eston    202

Do you: college/high school/have a decent full time job and aren't 25 and still live with your parents?  If so tell her to get off your case you could be doing much more ridiculous hobbies in your spare time.

Allen he brought a bunch of Goyo's and resold them for a profit before the banlist was confirmed, he didn't lose money.  

Uthor beat me to it. 

Do you: college/high school/have a decent full time job and aren't 25 and still live with your parents?

If you answer yes, you're fine.  
If you don't have a job, school, or are 25 and still live with your parents you need to invest your time in something more productive than yoga

_Alex_    53

start defacing school property and getting into fights, see if she likes that.

Although, if you want to maintain a good relationship with your mother, and this dispute is affecting your regular flow of life, maybe you and mom need to talk more and come to a compromise.

Like, make sure you are working, and stop spending obscene ammounts, keep your inventory low, because if you can't afford car insurance logic dictates you aren't making a ton to begin with. Set a yoga allowance.

I'm a cop btw, I can tell you that not keeping current car insurance (which needs to be paid for) is no bueno.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

+Gojira    1705

So here's the story, my mom is really mad at me because i spent a hundred dollars last week for goyo guardians and the ycs austin trip. She thinks " your stuipd yoga card" is keeping me from becoming an adult. Yet I told her that i make a good sum of money from yugioh. She went " oh thats good, you can sell your stupid yoga cards for car insurance". Apparently if I sell my cards I will magically become a responable and mature adult. I told her I can't sell it because it means a lot to me. I made serveal good friends, memories and lesson from yugioh. Is mom right? Should I just stop playing yugioh. Its the only thing I have in life. I lost a lot of interest in game.

While YGO does not make one immature (although many immature people appear to be drawn to YGO), your case would be helped some if you knew how to spell "responsible". I mean, you're not even close :P .

You're mom's argument is similar to the stupidity of the Calvinists (I'm not saying their religion was stupid). They believed in predetermination (ie you're going to be immature whether you do something or not), yet they forced their communities into ultra-strict lifestyles (which produced clear problems), even though lifestyles logically would not have an effect on predetermination of afterlife destination. However, your Mom sounds like the kind of person who might not take even a logical argument well.

Also, there are other card games besides YGO if you become dissatisfied, and other hobbies.

Allen is completely right. It's hard to make real money off of yugioh, although it can be profitable, you can't expect or argue that it supports you in anyway, unless it is part of your job.

Your Mom is also probably just doing this because she is worried about you, because you really need car insurance. So she's looking for where the money you should have for car insurance is going, and apparently to her, it is going to YGO.

One last thing- it's kinda sad that YGO is the ONLY thing you have in life.....

• Upvote 4

Although, if you want to maintain a good relationship with your mother, and this dispute is affecting your regular flow of life, maybe you and mom need to talk more and come to a compromise.

Like, make sure you are working, and stop spending obscene ammounts, keep your inventory low, because if you can't afford car insurance logic dictates you aren't making a ton to begin with. Set a yoga allowance.

I'm a cop btw, I can tell you that not keeping current car insurance (which needs to be paid for) is no bueno.

you're really a cop?

• Upvote 3

_Alex_    53

you're really a cop?

Military Police...yes

• Upvote 2

+Digbick    7230
I am 20 years old, currently attending university. I don't have a job atm, but I often do oddjob and I have a scholarship. I don't have any problems for car insurance, but the price went up. I don't play yugioh for the money, I play it for fun. But yea, she should at least be happy that im playing cards and not doing things like getting into fight or doing drugs. I might just sell my card collection and keep one deck and dont spend any money on it untill I need a new deck to use. I bought the goyo guardians to make quick money from the people who thought it was coming back
  • Upvote 7

_Alex_    53

Well shit if you're 20 and attending university, paying your bills, staying out of trouble why is she on your case ha

I'm 20, I share an account with my wife and she doesn't nag me like that about my yoga.

I think that is the best course of action though, I'm about to do it I think. Just sell the whole collection, make my self a little "yoga" fund with it, and just keep a deck at a time

Or not make one until I decide to go to something

• Upvote 2

+Digbick    7230

just had a talk with my mom, using some of the advice you guys gave I told her I will sell all of my yugioh card collections, but keep one deck that i will be using to play at locals and some tournaments (fire fist btw). In addition, I won't be attending ycs unless it is 750 miles away and i must drive. She said, " that is a great idea my baby. You came up with a good solution. I know it means alot to you so I will get off your case about yoga as long you keep your condition. just stay in school, don't spend money on it unless your deck get banned or something".

thanks for all of your help dgz. been having an issue with this for a while and managed to solve it with your helps.

• Upvote 15