»Sidereal    3723

This next playoffs is coming soon and we were wondering what people actually wanted from them outside of just the wars. The first playoffs had video commentary and that seemed to be received pretty well, so we are going to be looking into doing that again. I feel like there is more potential to tap into for these though so if anybody had some ideas to implement into the playoffs, shoot some ideas off here

• Upvote 5

captainameowica    3770

expand the playoffs to 8

video commentary

if possible, do a deck breakdown for the playoff (which decks were used the most, etc...)

if someone is willing to, they could make an analysis for like a "feature match" though it's probably too much work to do just for a game of yugioh

»Sidereal    3723

I really want to make t8 work somehow but as of now, I'm not so sure. I mean looking at the current t8:

1760 56 8 Fourshot
1691 52 12 Supernova
1663 49 11 Starless
1620 28 12 Actual Literal Nuts
1613 19 3 Spics of Life
1576 9 0 Envious
1542 9 4 Improvise
1539 6 2 Kye Baker & The Dickriders

1539 being eligible seems so low when 1500 is the standard starting point. It would be entirely possible to make a team 2-3 weeks before the playoffs and get in easily by going 4-0 or 5-0 (obviously some variables involved there but idea is the same). Getting into the playoffs should be a bit more of a challenge than that. Envious is a relatively new team but they are on a 9-0 streak which is pretty impressive for anybody, so that's just an example of how to make it in as a new team. That's just my take on it but would definitely be open to hear more opinions about it

Deck breakdowns (or just statistics in general) are interesting and should be easy enough to track if enough people are interested in that sort of thing. Ideas for other stats to gather? I was thinking things like player based stats could be cool, like who went on the biggest streak in the season or something like that. It would bring more meaning to the word "season" since all it means right now is marking when a playoff happens

captainameowica    3770

Top 8 without a bye round I feel would be much better than top 6 with a bye round. Making everyone play each round makes the playoff that much more exciting as it opens up more possibilities for upsets and things of that nature. In regards to the records, I agree with you that 1539 is pretty low but at the same time professional sports teams make it into the playoffs with sub. 500 records as well and pull off some incredible things. Now I know this isn't a professional sport but the idea is there.

Other statistics that can be noted are wins and losses in the playoff or in playoffs in general. Having two charts in my opinion, one of a player's regular season war record and another of a player's playoff war record. Since people enjoy posting their die roll results in tournament reports, you can factor in which team/player wins the majority of die rolls as well.

I remember when Allen used to do breakdowns of not only decks but card usage for tournaments. Granted this would require each player to give in each and everyone of their deck lists but it would be interesting to see how many people use x card or y card.

That's all I can think of right now I'll try to get some other ideas out later.

• Upvote 3

captainameowica    3770

If you look at the top 8 that Brady posted, you clearly see that Hitlist is NOT in the top 8. I don't even war anymore either.  :S 

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10229

Separating the play-off records has no downside that I can see IMO, that's a really good idea.  The idea of a bye round for a top 2 seems to have gotten significantly worse, not that they're that high only for this reason but Fourshot and Supernova have been boosted to the top two party because of how highly play-off is value in rating.  What professional sport has the results for last season carry over to help a team out in the next season?  How is that fair too Spics of Life?

No opinion on top 8 vs top 6 other than that issue.   

tsgreen    1594

If you look at the top 8 that Brady posted, you clearly see that Hitlist is NOT in the top 8. I don't even war anymore either.  :S 

I was actually mocking my own comment lol. In no way was the quip about 7th place directed at you lol. I personally want to see top 8 just because there are so many new teams and the top 4 are really untouchable if you've only been going for one season and you don't play 4 wars a week like spics does

Spadaro 3    1581

I also agree with top 8 (h3h3), even if my team wasn't 8th though i still think it just seems better

sb24stk    298

I think the ratings need to be reset every new season because at this point its nearly impossible for the lower ranked teams to ever catch up and make the playoffs. What you have is the same 4 teams making the playoffs (The current Top 4 teams can lose 10 wars in a row and will likely make the playoff) OR current bottom teams can win 10 wars in a row and still wont make the playoff)

I also agree with top 8

• Upvote 5

tsgreen    1594

I think a semi reset would be a good idea every 2-3 seasons or so. Rather than a full reset of the ratings, just take the top however many teams, make their ratings like 1550, middle teams back to 1500 and bottom however many to 1450 or something like that, some kind of scaled reset to close the ridiculous gap teams like snova and 4shot have opened up by winning so many playoffs.

»Sidereal    3723

I think a semi reset would be a good idea every 2-3 seasons or so. Rather than a full reset of the ratings, just take the top however many teams, make their ratings like 1550, middle teams back to 1500 and bottom however many to 1450 or something like that, some kind of scaled reset to close the ridiculous gap teams like snova and 4shot have opened up by winning so many playoffs.

I like this idea + making playoff wars count for less than they currently are, but still more than regular warring. Right now it's set at 24 k-value (regular warring is 12) so I think 18 would be more appropriate. A bonus but nothing ridiculous. The fact you can't compete for a top spot without winning a playoff doesn't really rub me the right way

If we do a reset, I think I would prefer a full reset but I haven't thought about it too much yet. What do you guys think? If we did a semi, what counts as a top, middle, or bottom team? That's my only hang up on that

sb24stk    298

A reset (all teams starts at 1500) every 2-3 season will be great since team's line ups change. A rule should be made like in order to make the playoff a team needs to have at least 15-20 wars (enough volume to determine if they deserve to be in top 6/8 and no new team can manipulate by playing 5-8 weak teams to make the playoff)

• Upvote 1

captainameowica    3770

Yeah I feel that a full blown reset after every 2 seasons is more than appropriate. We could archive the old records of teams to show their dominance for each season as well. (or lack thereof)

• Upvote 1

captainameowica    3770

You know what I would also like to do with not only the playoffs but for the regular season? Split all the teams we have into 2 separate divisions in which they are required to play each other team in their division AT LEAST once. This would force teams that don't like playing against the good teams or like to pick on the bad teams to man up and play. Just take the number of teams we have, 20 or so I believe, and split that up. Each team goes through like 15-25 wars a season anyway so I think this could most certainly work out. My only concern is that it would require all team captains to go along with this.

• Upvote 1

»Sidereal    3723

A reset (all teams starts at 1500) every 2-3 season will be great since team's line ups change. A rule should be made like in order to make the playoff a team needs to have at least 15-20 wars (enough volume to determine if they deserve to be in top 6/8 and no new team can manipulate by playing 5-8 weak teams to make the playoff)

Yeah I was thinking either a war requirement or time being alive, but having 15 wars should be sufficient. Or even just having a usergroup = being eligible

Resets really shouldn't be that frequent because of how the system is set up though. I mean look at Sharpman, he was in the 1600s at one point, went on an awful streak and actually dropped all the way back down to 1500 and worked his way back up again and is towards the higher numbers right now. It is entirely possible to go up or down quickly so it isn't like the people "stuck" at the top or bottom are stuck there because of the system. Same goes for teams since they are measured the exact same way. The only real thing that went wrong the last year was allowing the playoffs to play such a big part at first. They were weighted even higher than they are now so it kind of just inflated a lot of numbers really quickly

After a reset with more balanced ratios, I don't think we will be needing to do a reset for another 3-4 seasons, if at all

• Upvote 1

Chris Hentz    7768

I like the idea of partial resets. I think the teams that place top 4 should get reset to 1550 while everyone else goes down to 1500. You get rewarded for doing well by having a slight advantage over the rest but not to the point where you are just constantly the top. Seems like the best way to go about it

• Upvote 1

sb24stk    298
1525 sounds better. With the winning percentage the top 3 team has they shouldnt have aproblem making the cut
1550 is a little too high. Ive never been on team that reach 1550 I bet hundreds of duelist has the same experience

»ACP    33422

I don't know why I have to keep saying this, but resetting ratings defeats the whole purpose of ratings. Saying, "it's impossible for lower teams to become high rated" has nothing to do with the system itself, it's because they suck. If everyone on Fourshot went to Elemonators and vice versa, it would not take very long for Elemonators to be ranked #1 and Fourshot to be in last.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

La Flame    277

Not true at all. Our record sucks because at one point nobody was active but the top teams, and Elemonators was beyond inactive. I was literally the only person warring, and I had just came back from a 6 month hiatus of no yugioh. Im not the best doolist obviously, but someone had to keep the team afloat and stop the wars from getting 7 day'd. Also doesn't help that people joined the team and then dropped in a few weeks.

Since I've revamped the roster, the team as a whole has done way better than before, even picking up a few wins here and there, while not getting blown out the water either. Unfortunetly, with our current ranking, we will never be able to climb out that hole. Resetting the system has nothing to do with the system itself, it has to do with the player pool and people wanting a fair chance to improve.

Think about it this way: since we suck, what harm is there in a reset? Wouldn't we just fall back to last place, while Brady Bunch occupies the top 3 like usual? I dont see how thats unfair. The NBA season doesn't pick up where it left off, they start fresh. It would take the Bobcats 10 years to to get back to .500 if they had to keep the previous record. The swing in top teams vs bottom teams would happen on such a small scale it would hardly be noticeable.

Hello, we are the Bobcats.

+scuzzlebutt    23500

ratings aren't just determined by how many games you've won, though, at least not in the elo system. for example:

1573 91 88 dennis frogman
1573 19 8 Tedmund

»Pengwan    7724

That's not really fair to the Bobcats. We are literally 80 games behind Fourshot right now. There isn't even a team that has played 80 wars yet.

According to my very extensive calculations we could easily catch Fourshot in w/l. We just need the following to occur:

- Need to win our next 46 wars in a row

- Need Fourshot to lose their next 34 wars in a row

Rough math tells me we could accomplish this goal roughly around the same time hell freezes over. Yes I am aware the rating system doesn't just factor w/l, but I am simply using this to put the number in perspective. 

Not to mention there is a giant elephant in the room loophole on ways for shitty teams to basically reset their ratings.

• Upvote 5

»Sidereal    3723

So this is what it's looking like

Season 5 playoffs in a couple days:

• Still going to be t6 to stay consistent with all the rules up to this point
  • Video coverage. Still looking around for people who can record watching the game + commentary audio from everybody on skype or something. We want more than 1 person for this so we can catch as many games as possible. If you are interested in this, post here or PM me please
  • To go along with video coverage, we are looking for people who think they might be able to write up quick feature matches. The videos have the tendency to push 30 mins and not everybody has time to watch the whole thing so having text to go along with it covers that. If interested, post or PM. If we can't get enough interest in this then we will probably just end up skipping it

Season 6 onwards:

• Full rating reset on March 1st
  • Wars will hold their current 12 k-value as far as ratings go, but playoffs will be dropped from 24 to 18. Basically, games in the playoffs count for 1.5x as much as regular warring rather than 2x
  • Season 6 team playoffs will be changed to t8 cut; indivs will stay the same. If a team placed in the t8 does not have a team usergroup, it will pass down to the next team that does
  • Upvote 6

+scuzzlebutt    23500

will the full reset only affect teams or individual ratings too?