Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

Donnie    2196

It's been said before but HS's RNG problem is the RNG in the cards. In YGO the most RNG is what cards you draw, in HS it's not only what cards you draw, but what those cards will even do.

I don't know if this is an argument or just a statement under the assumption that a problem exists. sort of useless either way
RNG is both halves of this the cards and the deck ordering. But HS has excellent mulligan system for this and has 30 card decks which further mitigates.
I mean Dawgy already said this ten times, but compared to HS, Ygo has very few instances of cards that have inbuilt RNG, there is a difference and a problem.

Also I think the argument that you can't complain about RNG, unless you're playing perfectly is just wrong. Consider the HS demographic, it's mostly casual players, and even casual gamers can be peeved by RNG. There is a really good video about game design where it talks about RNG that you can control and minimize, versus RNG that exists in place of actual depth in design, in HS random is keyword they include in place of actual good design in a lot of cases. The game should be enjoyable no matter what level of play you choose to engage in.
  • Upvote 1

Donnie    2196

I also don't think YGO is the shining example for card game design, though most of my issues with YGO deal with Konami's failure as TCG company and less the game itself, but it does have many problems from a design aspect too. This is where Blizzard shines however as community based company.

• Upvote 1

Dawgy    2044

I also don't think YGO is the shining example for card game design, though most of my issues with YGO deal with Konami's failure as TCG implementer and less the game itself. This is where Blizzard shines however.

I would have used Scrolls as the shining example, but despite how amazing that game was, I doubt anyone here has played it.

It's made by the same peeps that made Minecraft.

»BoraxTheLean    7111
I'm not trying to come up with evidence against arguments because I didn't see any from dawgy.

I'm just actually not going to post anymore on this topic because I only see circular logic.

I would much rather be playing MTG than HS. I understand that HS is a less perfect game than others.

prevalence    470
@dawgy

I mean it seems like you came into this thread with an axe of "rng bad this game low skill" and got upset/defensive when the people who presumably play and enjoy this game disagreed with you. I mean what kind of discussion did you honestly expect to have.

»Paraliel    7986
I have no incentive to discuss game design here instead of over the Skype because everyone takes things personally.

»Paraliel    7986
If you don't take the game seriously skill wise you are a silly person.
  • Downvote 1

»Paraliel    7986
With the way you get angry in this discussion Dawgy there is no one that would possibly convince you of an alternative viewpoint because of that anger.

+Mascis    4560

hearth is now available on mobile. 

there goes my data plan

• Upvote 5

Dawgy    2044

*EDIT* Actually, nevermind. I've made my point. 

Dawgy    2044

there goes my data plan

As long as you download the game on Wi-Fi (you're stupid if you don't and data is a concern for you), you actually won't consume that much data, if any at all.

In fact, your Facebook and Snapchat apps will use infinitely more data than Hearthstone ever will. This is because the only data you're downloading (and uploading) per say are binary numbers that indicate the decisions that you've made in-game or through the client. You won't actually be downloading any game assets as you play (like card images and such), because they are already downloaded on your phone with the original installation.

That's why you might notice in games like League of Legends or Call of Duty, the only thing that will EVER cause you lag is your latency (delay) between your Internet connection and the server, not by the quantity of data you can download in a second. That is, unless your DL speed is abysmally low, like under 5 Megabits per second or something; then your connection might get bottlenecked in terms of download speeds, where the minute amounts of data games need to download and upload becomes a big problem.

Latency and shitty download speeds do tend to go hand in hand though whenever these sorts of issues occur.

TL;DR Your data plan is fine.

+Mascis    4560

there goes my data plan

As long as you download the game on Wi-Fi (you're stupid if you don't and data is a concern for you), you actually won't consume that much data, if any at all.

In fact, your Facebook and Snapchat apps will use infinitely more data than Hearthstone ever will. This is because the only data you're downloading (and uploading) per say are binary numbers that indicate the decisions that you've made in-game or through the client. You won't actually be downloading any game assets as you play (like card images and such), because they are already downloaded on your phone with the original installation.

That's why you might notice in games like League of Legends or Call of Duty, the only thing that will EVER cause you lag is your latency (delay) between your Internet connection and the server, not by the quantity of data you can download in a second. That is, unless your DL speed is abysmally low, like under 5 Megabits per second or something; then your connection might get bottlenecked in terms of download speeds, where the minute amounts of data games need to download and upload becomes a big problem.

Latency and shitty download speeds do tend to go hand in hand though whenever these sorts of issues occur.

TL;DR Your data plan is fine.

:mellow:

was joke

• Upvote 4

yellowlink    5

Damn didn't look at the thread for a couple of days, and missed out on some action.. 

Anyways it's a Card game what else can we expect.... More than half the cards have effects which have some sort of RNG involved..  You should not be rewarded for playing a deck where you just attack their face 24/7. That concept is flawed. And when we see cards like quickshot, we start to think what is blizzard trying to say. Why can i not have control over when to activate my secret. There are some mechanics which clearly make you question hearthstone..

What I am trying to say is some of the freedom that we should have in decision making is taken away by some of the designs that blizzard has in place. 

Anyone who played yugioh competitively should have no problems reaching rank 5. 

I quit earlier last year because the card pool was utter crap, and just got bored guessing evan vargas quit for the same reason as well.

But Overall i do feel that Hearthstone will stay for the long haul. Just log on and do dailies at least.. I wish i would have done those, but now i have to grind for the BRM adventures.  I have spent like what 23 bucks on this game. 2 packs while i was in beta and the Naxx adventure for 20 bucks.  I think that's good enough for this game... and just grind it out the hard way. 

Another issue is that gold rewards are terrible, and blizzard needs to do something to reward us, its going to be hell for newcomers to build their collection up without investing some good amount of money. 

As the card pool gets better, the game will balance out a little. Yugioh was pretty unbalanced when there were only 450-500 cards as well, we just have to think about it.  There will always be RNG involved perhaps more than any other game, but you also have to realize that this game appeals to a much wider audience and isn't really designed around being competitive. You play a couple of games a day and call it a night. 

If you are good enough you will do good on a consistent basis, yeah you might get cheesed out on a couple of wins. But that can be said with any card game. 

• Upvote 1

Dawgy    2044
I just had a funny situation happen to me in arena. Opponent's turn 4: he plays two 1/1 Explosive Sheep, and he also has a 1/4 Demolisher on his side of the field.

My turn 4 comes next:
My field currently consists of a 2/1 Zombie Chow, a 4/4 Shade of Naxxramas, and a 3/2 Dark Cultist (it got reamed by his Demolisher previously via a 25% chance; if anything else got reamed instead, I would have easily lost the match).

I thought I was pretty much fucked, but it was quite the contrary, as I'd soon learn how simultaneous Deathrattle effects stack. I slammed my Zombie Chow into his Demolisher to kill my dude and bring his down to two life (seemingly unnecessary but w/e). I slammed Dark Cultist into his explosive sheep, killing and the first Explosive Sheep kills everything but my Shade of Naxxramas. Now, Explosive Sheep and Dark Cultist died at the same time, and apparently for whatever reason, turn player Deathrattle effects occur first. My Dark Cultist set my Shade of Naxxramas from a 4/2 to a 4/5 before Explosive Sheep could kill it. I then dropped Piloted Shredder and proceeded to win the game from there.

If I had played that wrong and opted to not kill the sheep on that turn, if that mechanic worked any differently, or even if the Demolisher had decided to ream either of my other monsters instead of Dark Cultist, I'd have lost the game.

*EDIT* Deathrattles occur in the order they were played. Nvm. But still tho.

the pugilist    511

iirc when 2 deathrattles activate at the same time, the card that gets played first triggers first eg. ur dark cultist was played before his sheep so it shot first.

• Upvote 2

Ammit    5130

yeah pugilist is correct, deathrattles happen in the order they were played, hence why you can kill a creeper+tokens if you play death's bite after the creeper, or why you can steal a hyena from highmane with sylvanas in a trade if you play sylvanas 2nd.

Dawgy    2044
Oh okay that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification on that.

Donnie    2196

Consort tomorrow! 

And the cards that make it playable 2 weeks from then....

»Ryuuzaki    2569

iirc when 2 deathrattles activate at the same time, the card that gets played first triggers first eg. ur dark cultist was played before his sheep so it shot first.

This is why playing Windrunner correctly vs spawning minions is important.

Oldest deathrattle always triggers first. 

Also, there are plenty of other situations like Death Bite vs Creeper. For example, you want to respond with Death Bite and not have it already down when they play Creeper otherwise the 1 dmg spike will miss the tokens.

»Ryuuzaki    2569

I still haven't unlocked last weeks wing, even though I bought the whole expansion. I kinda wanna wait and have a big Black Rock mountain house party!

Nah, I've just been super busy.

• Upvote 1

Saiko    231

anyone know why EU is a day behind NA when it comes to releasing the BRM wings? is it because they dont want to overload servers or something?

also was watching dog's stream, impact starts chatting to him most of the chat trys to get dog to delete impact haha

»Paraliel    7986

anyone know why EU is a day behind NA when it comes to releasing the BRM wings? is it because they dont want to overload servers or something?

also was watching dog's stream, impact starts chatting to him most of the chat trys to get dog to delete impact haha

It's so you guys get cleaner releases and they don't want to overload servers.

It worked the opposite way during Naxxramas also.

»BoraxTheLean    7111
What cards come out tomorrow and can they please not hate out combo rogue because I'm RLY enjoying playing it atm.

Dawgy    2044

What cards come out tomorrow and can they please not hate out combo rogue because I'm RLY enjoying playing it atm.

I can't see anything relevant hitting the table with the rest of the cards that are coming out that affects Oil Rogue at all. In fact, Dark Iron Skulker seems like a boon to the deck, giving it an amazing, aggressive mid-game board control option.

I could see Dragon Priest/Paladin Variants giving this deck trouble though, but since the cards aren't really available to play with yet, I can't make such conclusions.

»BoraxTheLean    7111
I mean there is a chance that a dragon deck is just way stronger than the current decks we have now thus hating out oil rogue.

Looking at that paladin 5/5 for 5 and the 6/4 for 6 that costs less for creatures killed.
  • Upvote 2