Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

Carbon    1882

I don't understand your point, Naythin.

More cards come out sure. The better people are still going to win more often then not. That's just how it is.

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

Larger card pool means less consistency and more variance

We all know how the Hearthstone community feels about variance 

• Upvote 2

Carbon    1882

That's like any card game.

You can't say every new set in mtg/ygo means the game is more and more about variance.

More stuff will come out.

There might be a few "lucky" cards but just like every game the better players will win more often. 

I don't really care how half of the community feels. I'm sure half of the playerbase is casual and terrible.

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

-That's like any card game.

No, Hearthstone is the only game with a completely random draft system.

-You can't say every new set in mtg/ygo means the game is more and more about variance.

Obviously. Because they are either constructed format in which someone who is good would know what the opposing deck contains, or they are drafted based on a limited set.

-More stuff will come out.

And arena will become more and more random as it does.

-There might be a few "lucky" cards but just like every game the better players will win more often. 

But less often as more and more cards come out.  The larger the card pool is the less and less the better player will be able to know and adequately play around the cards in the opponent's deck, along with there being a lower chance for the better player to have the cards in their deck to adequately punish poor play. Remember that time when if you drafted mage you had a really high chance to get a Flamestrike, often times multiples? Now there is a much lower chance that yours or your opponent's mage deck contains Flamestrike. This means that as a good player you have lower chances of punishing your opponent for just tossing minions out, and as a good player you're less likely to be rewarded for playing around Flamestrike. This example can work on multiple levels with multiple different cards.

-I don't really care how half of the community feels. I'm sure half of the playerbase is casual and terrible.

It's actually more like 95%

• Upvote 1

Carbon    1882

Are you thinking before you post?

The fact that you said 95% even proves my point even more. Yeah I might not get 3 Flamestrikes in my draft but you won't either. 

That doesn't mean the lesser player won't walk into stupid trades or/go face/trade when they aren't supposed to. You MIGHT draft overly powerful cards but whatever. That happens with literally ANY card game. You can'r say Hearthstone is the ONLY complete random draft, Just because you have better cards doesn't mean you won't trade because "Hurr it's always good to trade" The game will NEVER be perfectly about skill. No card game will. Sorry to burst your bubble. 

The people that think it's always good to trade or always go face will statically lose more often than the players that know when to do what.

Arena in Hearthstone isn't meant for everyone to hit 12 wins everytime. As long as you're an above average player you should get 7+ wins 4/7 times which is a positive percentage which means you'll make your money back overall if not more. That's the best you can expect. 

• Upvote 1

Carbon    1882

And IF you don't expect more than 5-6+ wins each arena then you suck. 

If you DO expect more than that then you're just proving my point even more lol.

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

You're really missing my point and I'm not sure how often I have to re word it for you.

Larger card pool = less predictable drafts

Lower predictability hurts consistency

If you told me you were only getting 7+ wins 4/7 runs when we had only the base set I'd tell you you sucked. Now, you're right, that's pretty solid.

I think it's very reasonable to say that a player's arena win % would go down as more cards are introduced.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8032

It hurts consistency in a vacuum if you don't consider that cards can have similar enough effects to where the difference between two isn't entirely relevant. 

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

Actually comparable cards hurt consistency more since most comparable cards we have suck. We're now twice as likely to be passed Wisp or Booty Bay Bodyguard or Magma Rager, etc.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8032

Actually comparable cards hurt consistency more since most comparable cards we have suck. We're now twice as likely to be passed Wisp or Booty Bay Bodyguard or Magma Rager, etc.

I mean there's also examples of Frostbolt vs Forgotten Torch levels of comparison as well

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

I mean there's also examples of Frostbolt vs Forgotten Torch levels of comparison as well

Frostbolt is better than Forgotten Torch 9/10 times. And the fact that they both exist lowers consistency. If you already drafted 2 Frostbolts, getting passed a Torch instead of, idk like a Flamestrike or something, gives you a worse deck. If you get passed a torch instead of a Frostbolt, it gives you a worse deck. You're not twice as likely to get Frostbolt if torch exists, you're less likely to get the better card and more likely to get a worse card.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8032

In the context of arena, it's very marginally worse than Frostbolt. This is the point I'm making. Yes it's worse, but if it's by 1% it really doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

»Ryuuzaki    2545

I was too busy in the beginning of the season w/ school and work to try and climb to legend, so I just didn't try lol. I will try again next season for sure.

• Upvote 1

Naythin    4650

Climbing gets easier and easier as the season goes on, you've got close to 2 weeks you can do it I believe in you

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150

I've hit rank 11 already this season, which isn't a super big accomplishment by any stretch, but last month it took me the whole season to hit that, and now I have two weeks to just kind of push my own personal ceiling and see how far I can get. And I'm hyped for that. :D

Gotta believe and feel good about setting reasonable goals and making them. I just got my first hero to 100 wins. That's awesome for 2.5 months of playing with all 9 heroes. lol

• Upvote 2

Morgenmuffel    19

Larger card pool = less predictable drafts

Lower predictability hurts consistency

I think Blizz at least acknowledges that that problem exists, which is probably why they use the 20% offering bonus towards new cards for each new expansion. You have at least some expectation of the odds of what you draft in addition to whatever existing class card bias exists. The problem I find is what happens when you don't balance out the classes or attempt to keep the core "flavor" of what they do. Or even give them anything USEFUL as their class (common) cards become diluted.

• Upvote 1

the pugilist    510

GIANT PICTURE

solid turn 2 arena board

mmm

its ok, I'd rate it 2/3

+5

What is that app?

heartharena overlay

• Upvote 1

»Paxman    4776

You can also use the hearthstone deck tracker. It's nice. Good to show me how shitty my opening hand is before I even see it!

So demotivated to climb past rank 10 with all the aggro shaman. Very annoying.

• Upvote 1