(3) Tinkertown Technician

(4) Blessing of Kings 2

(4) Murloc Knight

(4) Sen'jin Shieldmasta

(5) Frostwolf Warlord

(5) Pit Fighter 3

(6) Grand Crusader

(6) Sunwalker 2

I can't believe this arena deck is working. 7-1 so far. I'd be 8-0 if it wasn't for FoN + Savage Roar (pls game why let me get comboed in arena).

This deck is unreal strong.  2 minibot, 2 muster, 2 blessing of kings, 3 pit fighter, 2 sunwalker, those are some of the best rates in arena.

Muster is probably the best card in all of hearthstone.

muster's only good because you get a light's justice from it, which pax also drafted.

• Upvote 1

»JC.    4973

I haven't been able to break 5 wins in Arena in the past two weeks or so. I previously averaged 6-7 wins (right before TGT came out, but also in the few runs I did when I came back into the game right around the first wings of LOE). I feel like I just went and forgot some element of draft/play over the past month but I can't figure out what it is. Is there a site where I can try to find someone to play through a run with me and discuss the process?

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

What decks are you guys using to climb this season? I've been switching around between Zoo, Murlocadin, Control Priest, and Tempo Mage. Stuck on Rank 3 to 4. I know it's just a matter of playing better and grinding through the games but just wondering what other decks you guys are playing because I kind of wanna try something new

• Upvote 2

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I think they changed the frequency of a lot of cards appearing in Arena. I remember I used to be able to get multiple Truesilver Champion, Flamestrike, etc like nothing, and now I feel lucky to get one. The power level feels like it's gone down a lot, so it's much harder to recover from early stumbles. 

I love Secret Paladin. Been playing the deck for like three months straight. Most decks struggle to beat your average draws. Sometimes I struggle against control, but if I can set up a good Divine Favor, I can just overwhelm them. If you're looking for something new, I strongly recommend it.

• Upvote 3

»JC.    4973

I think they changed the frequency of a lot of cards appearing in Arena. I remember I used to be able to get multiple Truesilver Champion, Flamestrike, etc like nothing, and now I feel lucky to get one. The power level feels like it's gone down a lot, so it's much harder to recover from early stumbles. 

From what I understand, LOE cards appear more often (e.g. Keeper of Uldaman) than other cards. On top of that, the options for more cards in general means any specific card would be offered less often. This should affect all of the player's equally though, so I don't get why it would cause a problem in winrate. I also feel that even my stronger drafts, with cards like Murloc Knight, Consecration, and Truesilver are doing much much worse than I should be able to pilot them to if I was playing correctly.

-

As for constructed, I'm also playing Secret Paladin, but I don't run any copies of Divine Favor. Are you running the secret-heavy build (>6 secrets), or is the Divine Favor good in general? 

• Upvote 2

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I remember reading something like that too, regarding LoE. Idk like I said, if I don't have access to cards that can help me recover, then I just lose to stupid stuff like not drawing a two drop on turn two, etc.

4Gzl5eE.png

vs aggro:

- Abusive Sergeant

- Keeper of Uldaman

+ Zombie Chow

+ Coghammer

But ladder is pretty midrangey right now.

Sludge Belcher is the truth. On top of Noble Sacrifice, Mysterious Challenger, and Tirion, you have so much board control, that you can grind through and beat almost any board state. Entomb is a bitch though.

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

How are you liking the Aldor?

Also, no Haunted Creeper seems a bit odd. How is it working without it?

• Upvote 2

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I almost always run it out as a 3/3 to get the board secure early, but it can be a late game blow out once in a while. I think of it as a BGH with less variance. It's also another body that beats Darnassus Aspirant.

I've been struggling to find early game cards worth playing. I stopped playing Haunted Creeper a few months ago, because it never did anything. 

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

Yeah it always seems like a weak card outside of Competitive Spirit play. 

Guess I'll be joining the cancer tomorrow lol

• Upvote 2

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Can someone please upvote the last 9 posts in this thread for me.  I'll upvote them all once I get done with grading+classwork today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

• Upvote 4

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

How do you like juggler without creeper?

Juggler + Creeper was the only thing that made Creeper worth playing imo. On its own, Juggler has most of it's value in killing Darnassus Aspirant, Northshire Cleric, and Mana Wurm. Anything it does past trading with them is just a bonus, i.e. Muster or Noble Sacrifice interactions.

Juggler almost always dies immediately because they spend their turn killing it or I trade with their relevant minion, both of which I am happy with.

• Upvote 3

Naythin    4650

I posted about this a few weeks back. The larger the carpool the more good cards are pushed out by overwhelmingly average cards.

Also, you should try cutting Consecration and Divine favor from your Paladin list for Blessing of Kings and Abusive and Repentance for Creepers. Playing good cards on curve tends to be a lot more powerful in the deck than playing reactive cards. 

• Upvote 2

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

... except Creeper isn't a good card? It doesn't trade with anything or race well. Unless you want to elaborate on why you think Creeper is worth playing. Secret Paladin already has probably the best mana efficiency of any deck, so I don't see why this is a concern.

Abusive is just an experiment, but it and Repentance play the same role of beating over cards that need to die. Repentance in particular wrecks the entire midrange Druid deck. Not having to trade my board into a Sludge Blecher or Druid of the Claw is huge.

Consecration is the cleanest way to catch up from behind in the mirror, and I couldn't imagine playing without it. It does require more set up to be good in other match ups, but it is good enough to be a one-of against one of the most played decks on the ladder. 

Similarly, Divine Favor helps get ahead of Priest, Freeze Mage, Control Warrior, and Reno / Hand lock. Games go long enough that I can count on seeing that one-of. Once I do, my quantity outperforms their quality. In other match ups, it's not very good, but it can randomly bail out hands with too many secrets. 

tldr I don't mind playing a few higher variance cards, because they swing games like no other cards can. 

• Upvote 2

Naythin    4650

I mean, ya. I know why those cards are good cards. But you didn't really explain why they fit in the deck.

In general reactive cards are pretty poor in the deck since the goal is to play the most proactive card every turn to overwhelm your opponent and force them to have to deal with your board, all the while you're going face and playing secrets that punish them for dealing with your board.

Creeper is very powerful since it ensures you'll have minions on the board to get the buff from Avenge/Blessing of Kings. Blessing of Kings is a great since it will have a target more often than not and allows your small minions to put on more pressure.

But it's your deck so you do you. Just discussing my personal preference  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I agree with your philosophy on what Secret Paladin tries to do, but games don't always play out that way.

My reason for playing Consecration and Divine Favor are to raise the power level of the deck, and give me more interaction for when my draws don't cooperate. Secret Paladin is prone to drawing shitty hands, so having a get out of jail free card in certain match ups is amazing imo. 

I play Sludge Belcher partially for the reason you like Creeper. Keeping minions on board is important, but 1/1s are anemic without support. Then having to rely on drawing that support puts you in more awkward positions, in a deck that already has a ton of variance. Belcher's taunts don't need further support, they control the board on their own.

When I picked up the deck, I cut Blessing of Kings for the second Truesilver, and eventually added Keeper of Uldaman. Keeper plays the role of Blessing well enough with 1/1s, and has much more utility on defense. Blessing is a card that is only good while you are ahead - when it is good, it is very good, but when it is bad, it's very bad. 

I like being able to play Secret Paladin from ahead and behind, instead of only ahead. Hearthstone has a ton of variance as we all know, and I err on the side of interaction and utility. I don't think Secret Paladin is degenerate or consistent enough to play all in, all the time. 

• Upvote 2

Naythin    4650

Interesting, because I tend to look at Secret Paladin from a very all-in standpoint where I just want to put out the most damage and stats each turn. Thus, I tend to err more on the side of playing cards that are good all the time.

But both ways of looking at the deck probably give a comparable win rate. We could even go as far to say the builds are match up specific and "optimal" could vary based on the meta. Playing all in will give higher overall consistency (it does the same thing every game) but lose out in situations where the opponent has answers. Playing a higher value game gives the deck more versatility but has less "Secret Paladin doing Secret Paladin things" games. 

Either way the opponent's going to be salty in the end so they're basically the same.

Also, glad everyone's caught on to how good Sludge Belcher is. The only thing better than having a Mini Bot, 3 1/1s, and a Shredder is having a Mini Bot, 3 1/1s, and a Shredder that your opponent can't attack!

• Upvote 3

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

Yeah I think Hearthstone is much deeper than people give it credit for. A couple pages ago, Matt Peddle was talking about how him and his friends analyzed an unassuming board state, that they could get blown out by Coghammer. I started to take the game more seriously, and saw instant results. Still too lazy to get to legend though lol.

Metagaming is still hard though. There are the "correct" decks to be playing, but you never know when someone decides to switch decks for fun and play something that otherwise wouldn't be on a certain stage of the ladder.

• Upvote 2

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Yeah I think Hearthstone is much deeper than people give it credit for. A couple pages ago, Matt Peddle was talking about how him and his friends analyzed an unassuming board state, that they could get blown out by Coghammer. I started to take the game more seriously, and saw instant results. Still too lazy to get to legend though lol.

Metagaming is still hard though. There are the "correct" decks to be playing, but you never know when someone decides to switch decks for fun and play something that otherwise wouldn't be on a certain stage of the ladder.

Where was this discussion?

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

So I'm going to a fireside gathering next weekend.  What are everyone's thoughts on the best-of-5 conquest w/ ban format?  I'm expecting it to resemble the ladder pretty closely since having to bring 4 decks and win 1 game with 3 of them means players will look to bring what's strongest.  So I'll expect mid-range druid, secret pally, zoo, tempo mage, some warriors, priests and shamans and a little of the other stuff.  I expect the standard bans to be pally, warrior or druid.

My plan going in right now is to bring mid-range druid, reno lock, control warrior and secret pally and to ban out druid.  Druid can steal games and has good match-ups vs my warrior/warlock and 50/50's against pally/druid.  My reno build would be non-combo to improve consistency and because if I ban druid I don't need combo to win that match-up.  I'm not sure how defensive I want to make my control warrior.

I feel like this line-up gives me pretty decent match-ups overall, gives me some good protection against aggro line-ups and freeze mage and gives me a chance to win control match-ups if I can outplay the opponent.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

My line up would be Patron Warrior, Murloc Paladin, Malygos Lock/Combo Renolock, and Freeze Mage, banning Druid/Shaman. People will ban your Paladin/Mage thinking it's secret paladin/Freeze Mage probably. In the line-up, Freeze Mage deals with pretty much any type of Paladin as well as many other good matchups obviously, Patron Warrior is looking for Freeze Mage mainly, but it's also an extra deck to deal with Zoo/Secret Paladin/Aggro Shaman/etc as well. Then you have Maly/ComboReno Lock and Murloc Paladin that just basically beat any Control deck. So basically, you have 2 decks that beat Control Matchups (1 of which they will likely ban if they are scared of Secret Paladin) and 2 decks that beat Aggro decks. 

• Upvote 4

Conspire    2391

My line up would be Patron Warrior, Murloc Paladin, Malygos Lock/Combo Renolock, and Freeze Mage, banning Druid/Shaman. People will ban your Paladin/Mage thinking it's secret paladin/Freeze Mage probably. In the line-up, Freeze Mage deals with pretty much any type of Paladin as well as many other good matchups obviously, Patron Warrior is looking for Freeze Mage mainly, but it's also an extra deck to deal with Zoo/Secret Paladin/Aggro Shaman/etc as well. Then you have Maly/ComboReno Lock and Murloc Paladin that just basically beat any Control deck. So basically, you have 2 decks that beat Control Matchups (1 of which they will likely ban if they are scared of Secret Paladin) and 2 decks that beat Aggro decks. 

In a world without Druid do you still prefer Patron to Control warrior?

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

In a world without Druid do you still prefer Patron to Control warrior?

Yeah I was considering Control Warrior over Patron, but I felt like Zoo,Aggro Shaman, and Secret Paladin are easily to deal with with Patron than Control. Unless you're playing Fibonacci's list, but I haven't played around with that deck much so I really don't know how well it does against matchups outside of Zoo.

• Upvote 2