Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

Saturn    48

It took a little bit for the concept to stick in but I'm loving the idea of Standard format. Imo 'Wild' will probably end up like what Traditional Format is for Yu-Gi-Oh; Some people play it exclusively, but most will just ignore it and play standard because that's Tournament format.

I'm not sure if I heard it here or somewhere else but will the expansion legends be disenchantable for full value for a small period after they become craftable? I have doubts that it's true but if it is that'd be neat.

• Upvote 2

+Paraliel+    8035

It took a little bit for the concept to stick in but I'm loving the idea of Standard format. Imo 'Wild' will probably end up like what Traditional Format is for Yu-Gi-Oh; Some people play it exclusively, but most will just ignore it and play standard because that's Tournament format.

I'm not sure if I heard it here or somewhere else but will the expansion legends be disenchantable for full value for a small period after they become craftable? I have doubts that it's true but if it is that'd be neat.

My guess is it'll be more like Legacy in Magic the Gathering and will still have tournaments for it, but won't be Blizzard's primary focus.

They won't be disenchantable for full value since they can still see play in Wild.

• Upvote 1

Saturn    48

Yeah that was mostly the reason I thought it was bs. Probably saw some kid post it on Reddit or something and forgot.

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Yeah it sounds like by the time standard comes around we will have a new set and plenty of classic/basic cards will be nerfed. Without knowing the new cards and nerfs its hard to make accurate predictions.
Tournament wise this game is still in its infancy. They obviously want to make standard there competitive format but i hope wild is still relevant as well.

It is my understanding that they could make changes to classic/basic cards throughout the entire year.  Say they release the new set and nerf some cards on release.  They could be like oh shit these really powerful warrior cards made control warrior a bit too good, maybe we should make execute 2 mana.

Yep i definitely agree. I also think when this all kicks off they will nerf some stuff right out of the gate. Im really hoping for a force roar combo nerf.

What would you (or anyone else) say would be an effective nerf to force roar?

Good Question.

I thought about it a bit and I came up with 2 possible solutions that I would try out if I were the R&D team.  The first would simply kill the combo as a game-winning option.  Reduce the mana cost of Force of Nature to 4 and add the text "and cannot attack the opposing hero" to the treants.  This essentially makes force a removal option with 6 total points of damage that are affected by taunt and can be buffed for 4 mana.

The second option would be to increase the mana costs so that it costs 11 total mana to play both cards.  Savage Roar could be 4 mana, which would mean Force of Nature would need to be 7.  Since that's a bit much for what Force of Nature does, and because the 7 slot is highly competitive, I would test out giving force an extra treant, so it would summon 4 total.  That makes the combo 18 damage by itself, but you need an innervate or emperor to make it happen.  It also opens up force + Power of the Wild combo for 12 damage on 9 mana, but I think that's reasonable since everyone has access to Leeroy Jenkins + Faceless Manipulator combo for 12 damage on 10 mana anyways.

What about just making roar cost 4?

Also 4 mana force would be really really strong removal.

I also think that changing roar to something like "Give all friendly beasts +3 atk." might be worth considering.

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

Yeah it sounds like by the time standard comes around we will have a new set and plenty of classic/basic cards will be nerfed. Without knowing the new cards and nerfs its hard to make accurate predictions.
Tournament wise this game is still in its infancy. They obviously want to make standard there competitive format but i hope wild is still relevant as well.

It is my understanding that they could make changes to classic/basic cards throughout the entire year.  Say they release the new set and nerf some cards on release.  They could be like oh shit these really powerful warrior cards made control warrior a bit too good, maybe we should make execute 2 mana.

Yep i definitely agree. I also think when this all kicks off they will nerf some stuff right out of the gate. Im really hoping for a force roar combo nerf.

Good Question.

I thought about it a bit and I came up with 2 possible solutions that I would try out if I were the R&D team.  The first would simply kill the combo as a game-winning option.  Reduce the mana cost of Force of Nature to 4 and add the text "and cannot attack the opposing hero" to the treants.  This essentially makes force a removal option with 6 total points of damage that are affected by taunt and can be buffed for 4 mana.

The second option would be to increase the mana costs so that it costs 11 total mana to play both cards.  Savage Roar could be 4 mana, which would mean Force of Nature would need to be 7.  Since that's a bit much for what Force of Nature does, and because the 7 slot is highly competitive, I would test out giving force an extra treant, so it would summon 4 total.  That makes the combo 18 damage by itself, but you need an innervate or emperor to make it happen.  It also opens up force + Power of the Wild combo for 12 damage on 9 mana, but I think that's reasonable since everyone has access to Leeroy Jenkins + Faceless Manipulator combo for 12 damage on 10 mana anyways.

I also think that changing roar to something like "Give all friendly beasts +3 atk." might be worth considering.

I think if you just made roar cost 4 it wouldn't be enough.  10 mana is not really that different from 9 mana in most games against Druid.  Most of the time when combo wins a game it wasn't a turn 9 game steal before the opponent won on turn 10.

The 4 mana force would be really strong removal, but not totally off compared to what other classes have available.  More flexible, which is why it's really strong but I don't think it would be broken.  It can be either a Fireball or a Consecration, but it has to target taunts first.  For Druid, which doesn't have great removal, it seems like a fair card to me.

I like your last suggestion too.  Is that a permanent change or just for the turn?  If it's just for the turn, it could apply to Malfurion if he uses hero power as well.

• Upvote 3

Are people really going to disenchant adventure cards? As far as I have understood, once you disenchant an adventure card, you will never be able to get it back. (Unless you craft it) Is it really worth to get that easy 400 dust and completely ignore the adventure legendaries? I think anything you can't pull out of a pack is highly precious and not worth disenchanting for the sake of a card you will eventually pull.

Is there a reason why wild won't be played? Haven't we been playing wild for almost 2 years, with almost perfect collections and full gold decks? I liked the sound of the standard format but I don't see why people would suddenly switch over to it, especially the veterans. Beginners should obviously have a better/easier time with standard though.
  • Upvote 4

+Paraliel+    8035

Are people really going to disenchant adventure cards? As far as I have understood, once you disenchant an adventure card, you will never be able to get it back. (Unless you craft it) Is it really worth to get that easy 400 dust and completely ignore the adventure legendaries? I think anything you can't pull out of a pack is highly precious and not worth disenchanting for the sake of a card you will eventually pull.

Is there a reason why wild won't be played? Haven't we been playing wild for almost 2 years, with almost perfect collections and full gold decks? I liked the sound of the standard format but I don't see why people would suddenly switch over to it, especially the veterans. Beginners should obviously have a better/easier time with standard though.

Are you ever going to use Maexna?

Wild won't be played as much because it's not the Worlds/Worlds Qualifier format.

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Good Question.

I think if you just made roar cost 4 it wouldn't be enough.  10 mana is not really that different from 9 mana in most games against Druid.  Most of the time when combo wins a game it wasn't a turn 9 game steal before the opponent won on turn 10.

The 4 mana force would be really strong removal, but not totally off compared to what other classes have available.  More flexible, which is why it's really strong but I don't think it would be broken.  It can be either a Fireball or a Consecration, but it has to target taunts first.  For Druid, which doesn't have great removal, it seems like a fair card to me.

I like your last suggestion too.  Is that a permanent change or just for the turn?  If it's just for the turn, it could apply to Malfurion if he uses hero power as well.

I do think a very real % of the games do come down to combo on exactly turn 9.  But it wouldn't solve the problem that is "combo"

The only beasts roar would be just for the turn.  And yeah I guess malfurion could get the buff too.  I think force at 4 mana would be the strongest damage based removal spell in the game, which is NOT what druid should be getting.  4 mana force is card efficient and mana efficient!

I really really don't like make force 7 mana and roar 4 mana.  I think druid's win-condition could be shaped from combo with 1 or 2 mid-sized guys on board.  To roar with lots of little guys.  

Drood just needs a way to close the game out.

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7437

Are you ever going to use Maexna?

Wild won't be played as much because it's not the Worlds/Worlds Qualifier format.

But if there are a few broken decks in wild, you can earn your rank rewards without having to play "skillful" decks. I think that will hold a lot of appeal for people.

• Upvote 1

Ammit    5159

i'm planning on keeping some of the naxx cards depending how things go, but standard is the new format if you care about blizzcon points at all. it also sounds like blizzard is pushing for standard to be the format for tournaments in general, at least officially sponsored ones so that's a pretty big incentive for veterans to switch. i think the only issue i might have is if there are too many good cards in new pack expansions, because that would mean everyday people having to spend way more money to be competitive

• Upvote 1

Saturn    48

There's literally no point in keeping unplayable cards unless you're into collections.

Other than Loatheb the legends were the weakest part of Naxx, almost all of them are gonna leave my collection because I wouldn't even play them in wild.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8035

There's literally no point in keeping unplayable cards unless you're into collections.

Other than Loatheb the legends were the weakest part of Naxx, almost all of them are gonna leave my collection because I wouldn't even play them in wild.

I wouldn't disenchant cards that have potential high value in future metas (Baron Rivendare/Kel'Thuzad).

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150
RIP Shielded Minibot. My favorite minion. You will be missed.
  • Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

RIP Shielded Minibot. My favorite minion. You will be missed.

ALL HAIL FLAME JUGGLER

• Upvote 2

Slowpoke    1377

As of now, Murloc Paladin seems like the best deck to me outside of Druid in standard. (-2 Healbot -1 Belcher +1 or 2 2mana 6 health card +1 or 2 Uldaman). That said, obviously we have to wait till the new set.

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

As of now, Murloc Paladin seems like the best deck to me outside of Druid in standard. (-2 Healbot -1 Belcher +1 or 2 2mana 6 health card +1 or 2 Uldaman). That said, obviously we have to wait till the new set.

I think you are underestimating the importance of healbot and belcher to that deck.

We have to wait and see.

• Upvote 2

773 202 LUNA    2908

I had the win 5 tavern brawl quest and win 5 paladin/priest quest.  Played secret paladin for the first time, basically replacing truesilvers/muster/competitive spirit for early game divine shield dudes and the obligatory ooze/harrison.  not proud of it but those were some easy wins

• Upvote 1

Saturn    48

I wouldn't disenchant cards that have potential high value in future metas (Baron Rivendare/Kel'Thuzad).

I'll never play wild format so there's no point really.

If they ever decide to possibly re-rotate some cards in in future sets/expansions, I'd probably keep them.

• Upvote 1

Tingy    463

time to change secret paladin to an obnoxious low curve face deck again =D 

• Upvote 2

packdaddy    737

4 mana force 4 mana roar would be INSANE. i would still play that lol... you hit two roar with thaurissan still and its 9 mana double combo

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

time to change secret paladin to an obnoxious low curve face deck again =D 

Nah man.

»BoraxTheLean    7119

4 mana force 4 mana roar would be INSANE. i would still play that lol... you hit two roar with thaurissan still and its 9 mana double combo

Matt was saying 4 mana force with treants that couldn't hit face.

4 mana roar was a separate potential solution.

Ammit    5159

i could definitely see them changing roar to something to do with beasts or something else in a similar vein to how they nerfed warsong commander.

• Upvote 1