Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

slickz    4321

going to first fireside gathering tomorrow

Good luck, whatre you bringing?

Secret Paladin, Aggro Shaman, Control Priest

i have freeze mage, mid range druid, and Renolock built but im inexperienced as hell with them

brighteyes    2150

When are we getting info on the new set and standard? Doesn't all of that stuff come out and start up extremely soon?

Conspire    2391

Well apparently they recently updated the FAQ to inform us reward cards will not be eligible in standard format.  That means no Old Murk Eye.

I expect we will see some info/spoilers at the Winter Championships about standard format.

aurirevoir    2905

at least murloc paladin mirrors won't be a regular occurrence

ofc we don't know what the new set will bring but paladin seems to be getting shafted the most.  Not that I'm super opposed to that, just an observation

»BoraxTheLean    7119

0/1 divine shield charge murloc for 3 mana

gets +X/+0 for each other murloc

make it happen

brighteyes    2150
Paladin! My favorite class! Noooooooo

wonderPreaux    1408

I will give this list some testing and come back with more.

Alright, ran 30 games, some thoughts on the list for anyone interested:

• My small sample of Druid games involved some high variance good stuff for the opponent, like Garrison Commander to gain tons of armor or Ancient of War on turn 2. Even so, the deck wasn't as bad against Druid as I thought it'd be and the games felt very close, notably coming down to not finding Thaurissan.  
  • Even though Malygos is less effective than Antonidas in simplified gamestates, I didn't find myself suffering against Aggro decks. Chip damage that I got from the beginning came up big often because it allowed me to Alex myself without fear and build to the 17/26 dmg Malygos combo. In some matchups, you can actually just put Maly on the board to draw the opponents fire to gain effectively 12 life and get 5-10 boosted damage.
  • Malygos was obviously good against combo, often I lost out just because I couldn't find all the Lance/Bolts in time or some such issue. Overall, I think it's about as good as you'd expect it to be.
  • I actually really liked Forgotten Torch a lot. There was only 1 game where I really wanted a Fireball instead (against Druid), and the ability to have a total of 32 dmg from spells can be good in it's own right. I plan on testing the Amnesiac list from the NA prelim next, as that is packed with burn and I'm wondering how many possibilities that opens up.
  • Coldlight wasn't too terrible, but had its definite awkward moments. As I stated before, it feels abyssmal to play on 3, but steadily gets more valuable from about turn 6 onward. I didn't really get to angle-shoot combo decks that often, never played the mirror either. I did have a sweet moment or two against Paladins where they'd Divine Favor and then I'd get to overdraw their Boom/Rag, though.
  • The most noteworthy thing I can say about the build is how much faster it operates, notably the difference between Coldlight and Acolyte and Malygos and Antonidas. Both options introduce a bit of variance, but afford you greater speed. Since the Coldlight has been discussed already, I'm going to talk about Malygos. The ability to sub out the Alex > Burn tactic for Thaurissan > Malygos OTK is a great option against Reno, Midrange and Aggro. Since it doesn't have the delay of a turn that Antonidas tends to, Malygos opens the possibility space of kill setups that only require 1 Block of defense. This increases your ability to play around Loatheb and opposing heals as well as giving some value to the chip damage you might grab in the early game because you can lethal the opponent from 25/26.

The Amnesiac build (http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/amnesiacs-na-winter-prelims-2016-freeze-mage/) also foregoes Antonidas, and even Flamestrike, for the sake of more burn. In this case, the Torches and Frostbolts are likely used to stem early damage, allowing the Acolytes to fill the hand with more burn. Also, I'm expecting it to be possible to just fire off enough burn throughout the game that you can easily Alex yourself against Aggro and then mop up with the Dragon, backed by Fireball and Roaring Torch. I'm pretty curious to see how this one will go. 

For a general ladder environment, I think a build incorporating elements of both lists could be very strong.

Ammit    5159

i actually played the amnesiac list a bit and from my small test sample i liked it a lot

Ammit    5159

my highest rank this season was 3, which was the highest i've gotten since the new reward system got a golden jungle panther golden soul of the forest and golden force of nature. hoping force gets a nerf for standard so i get that sweet 800 dust. 

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150

Got my second gold Totem Golem and my third gold Eaglehorn Bow. Not bad.

I actually really like the new card back this time.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1887

Had two hours left before season reset, trying to jam games at work. 

One win away from rank 5 to get a golden epic.

Opponent disconnects :)

Got a golden Velen's Chosen, everything else was garb for 450 dust.

• Upvote 1

Ammit    5159

so much camel hunter on ladder. 

Ammit    5159

wouldn't say it's worse, also dude hit r1 legend with it. 

Conspire    2391

It's just a more board control type of Hunter.  I've tried out a couple games with it.  Lost the first one to mech mage and won the second against a Priest.  Mech Mage had a really explosive start and mine was pretty slow.  The Priest I Hunter's Mark'd his Deathlord, pulled Dr Boom and won in a couple of turns.  Seems like a fine deck.  I'm going to try it out a little bit more just because it's something fresh.  It seems like it would be good vs Druid and bad vs Zoo/Paladin.

It's basically hunter's take on what a successful deck looks like these days.  A ton of early boardfight cards and just a few cards 5 mana +.  It doesn't seem better than Secret Paladin but when you surprise people on the ladder you can take wins because they don't know what to play around.

Ammit    5159

yeah it does significantly better vs the meta currently. zoo and pally matches are about same percentages or slightly better than the more standard builds. i haven't actually played against druid yet but that mu it's basically in zoo's position. also i'll always play midrange hunter if i can as it's been my favorite deck since starting and this definitely works in this meta

Conspire    2391

I played a few more games with the Camel deck and it didn't seem very good right now.  There's just too many people playing aggro to play it at the start of the season.  The Camel is a dead card and your deck is like a slower, crappier hunter that just gets beaten up by the better decks unless you open a godly curve and/or get a Juggler + Hounds combo off.  I can see how the deck could have caught people off a top legend ranks and had some favourable match-ups on the last day but I wouldn't play it right now.

I like that there have been a lot of #1 legend finishers with home brews recently though.

I think I'll just slowly climb with control warrior right now.  VLPS' top 10 legend deck seems pretty legit.  Its too bad it takes so damn long to play a game.