Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

+Paraliel+    8031

Ended up 7-3 in Draft after starting 0-2. Pretty nice.

Consistently getting 7 or 8 wins every Arena Draft (haven't gotten all 9 wins yet) which means I'm making more gold than I am spending and I'm getting packs/dust in the process. Pretty nice.

Things in Draft:

Argent Commander is absolutely insane.

Mind Control is still dumb.

Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death are both very good cards.

Shadow Manipulation (the temporary Mind Control for 3 attacks) is very useful in crashing enemy monsters together.

Injured Blademaster is a good card if you can heal it.

Gurubashi Berserker is good for the same reason.

Spellbreaker is probably one of my most highly rated cards.

Shattered Sun Cleric is another highly rated card in draft.

Any class with mass removal (Holy Nova/Consecration/Blizzard/Arcane Explosion) has a better chance in my honest opinion.

Warlock hero power is the best one, Priest hero power is close 2nd.

Cute combo plays suck in Draft.

Ironfur Yeti is a very good card.

Imp Master is underrated.

Swamp Ooze is extremely good.

If you draft a legendary, you are going to have a better win % chance. You will not always draft one.

Mad Bomber can be very good in Draft.

Questing Adventurer is a highly rated card.

I dunno I could go on forever, but I feel like at this point I could make a tier list of Arena Cards.

+Paraliel+    8031

I will be setting up a stream in the morning and streaming Hearthstone most likely. I pretty much am sticking to Arena until my Warlock deck is finished.

Dawgy    2039

Ended up 7-3 in Draft after starting 0-2. Pretty nice.

Consistently getting 7 or 8 wins every Arena Draft (haven't gotten all 9 wins yet) which means I'm making more gold than I am spending and I'm getting packs/dust in the process. Pretty nice.

Things in Draft:

Argent Commander is absolutely insane.

Mind Control is still dumb.

Shadow Word: Pain and Shadow Word: Death are both very good cards.

Shadow Manipulation (the temporary Mind Control for 3 attacks) is very useful in crashing enemy monsters together.

Injured Blademaster is a good card if you can heal it.

Gurubashi Berserker is good for the same reason.

Spellbreaker is probably one of my most highly rated cards.

Shattered Sun Cleric is another highly rated card in draft.

Any class with mass removal (Holy Nova/Consecration/Blizzard/Arcane Explosion) has a better chance in my honest opinion.

Warlock hero power is the best one, Priest hero power is close 2nd.

Cute combo plays suck in Draft.

Ironfur Yeti is a very good card.

Imp Master is underrated.

Swamp Ooze is extremely good.

If you draft a legendary, you are going to have a better win % chance. You will not always draft one.

Mad Bomber can be very good in Draft.

Questing Adventurer is a highly rated card.

I dunno I could go on forever, but I feel like at this point I could make a tier list of Arena Cards.

TrumpSC already made one, and your insights pretty much line up perfectly with his.

http://ihearthu.com/trumps-arena-card-rankings/

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8031

So I was 8-2 in a draft with Mage. I was vs someone and he was at 10 hp and I had Pyroblast for game. I was at 2 hp. I used Pyroblast and misclicked his monster with Divine Shield instead of him for game. Like 3 pixels off.

Mega tilt.

Sand    1643
I'm enjoying this game atm. Not at Master 3 yet, only Master 1, but getting there.

Is there any info on pack pull rates? Also, how much have you guys spent and what did you spend it on / get?

Axle    1217

If you generally just enjoy playing the game, always spend $ and gold on arena. It is much more profitable than buying packs, though it is obviously a slower process.

By going 4-3 you make 1 pack + 50g + dust, which is equal value to buying a pack.

By going 7-3, you get 1 pack + dust + 150ish gold, which allows you to play another arena

9-x, will likely fund 2 arenas, and give 1-2 packs. Maybe both if you're lucky? Good amount of dust too of course. Should allow you to craft any rare you want. 

Sand    1643
I do enjoy Arena, but I definitely don't enjoy the feeling of not having any of the Epics or Legendaries I want (that's why I was asking about the pull rates on packs).

Atm my understanding is that there's no incentive to be highly ranked, but there will be an incentive eventually. If it is still some time aways, I don't feel the pressure to buy 40 packs for $50.

+Paraliel+    8031

I do enjoy Arena, but I definitely don't enjoy the feeling of not having any of the Epics or Legendaries I want (that's why I was asking about the pull rates on packs).

Atm my understanding is that there's no incentive to be highly ranked, but there will be an incentive eventually. If it is still some time aways, I don't feel the pressure to buy 40 packs for $50.

I believe the pull ratios for a pack are 1-2 (Rare, Epic, Legendary) and 4-3 common. You are always guarenteed atleast 1 rare.

Axle    1217

There's no reason to be high rank but there IS hidden ranking of sort. They posted a top 50 players last year. As you win after masters 3, I assume you will still be slowly playing better opponents. 

@ rarity

Every card in a pack has a chance to be a golden legendary. The one rare per pack is only a safety net. When you open a pack the game rolls the rarity of every card, however setting the lowest rarity of one card to rare. 

So on any one card its chances are:
Common: 74%
Rare: 20%
Epic: 5%
Legendary: 1%

So you will always have at worst, 4 commons and 1 rare. At best you could have 5 golden legendaries. The drop rates for gold cards are not known. There should be 1 legendary per 20 packs.

Axle    1217

It's ridiculous how expensive in rarity shaman is compared to the other classes. Only one that comes close is Druid.

Nish    253

6x paladin

5x mage

4x priest

3x shaman

2x warrior

2x druid

1x warlock

1x hunter

0x rogue.

The class distribution for the decks in the Hearthstone tournament at Blizzcon!

+Paraliel+    8031

No Rogue is interesting to me since it just won two tournaments in a row.

+Paraliel+    8031

And if I recall, isn't each player submitting 3 decks to Blizzcon? Or are they only playing one?

Just going off when I was watching Day9 play

Nish    253

Yeah, 8 players each submitting 3 decks.

Nish    253

Hearthstone in general has a fairly huge element of luck to it; but I don't get why people would want to play arena where you get people with 5 flamestrikes and 7 sorc apprentices that are impossible to beat. Just feels like it has a lot less going for it when you can lose before the game even starts based on what you drafted.

Sand    1643
That's limited play for any game. The most I've seen someone have of one card was four. As a F2P player, Arena's the main way I get more cards.

Holy misplays Batman, that guy fucked up Game 1 in the second semi-final match. "Hmmm, I could game him...nah, I'd rather lose."
  • Upvote 1

Axle    1217

33vf66f.png

What I'm playing at the moment. Mostly standard but a couple weird things I guess?

Early game removal - They're all very good at all stages of the game, excluding Forked Lightning which falls flat without enough spell power. In a slower meta I would def drop it.

Only one Stormforged Axe - Yeah, I dunno. I kind only want to see this card once, especially against Mage. You can only make so many minion trades with this without running out of health. Why am I playing more Rockbiters than Stormforge? Mostly just as another answer to our dearly beloved 1 drop cleric and other 3 health friends. I might bump Stormforged back to two but 3 health cards are pretty popular. 

Faerie Dragon - Before weapon decks fell out of favor this was Ooze. During the early game against the control decks we may be both not playing minions and just waiting for someone to do something. So I replaced Ooze which was barely hitting anything with Faerie Dragon. It is something Priest/Mage can't touch and will force them to play a bit awkwardly. I'm still trying it and could easily replace it. 

Senjin Shieldmaster - Yeah this card is whatever. I just wanted to play a good 4 drop to fit the curve. Shaman spells fall between 1-3 and creatures are 5-8. It's helpful as another method to protecting Mana Tide (therefore forcing removal on it). I could probably try Dark Iron in the 4 slot? Very easily am I open to replacing it.

No Unbound Elementals - Maybe I should be playing these over Senjin? The only overload synergy for Shaman and I don't play it?! It hasn't really done much in my games but I'm willing to add it back in. 

Legendaries - I crafted Rag but have access to Malygos and Sylvannas from pack pulls if you want to suggest others. Nowhere near being able to craft another legendary like Al'Akir/Thalnos/Ysara right now. 

The Fatties - Earth Ele, Argent, Fire Ele and Ragnaros are my end game line-up. Earth Ele is never really dead, Fire Elemental/Argent are the best 6 drops in the game because of the immediate effect they add to the board  and Ragnaros cleans up shop. 

So many taunts?! - Just as a way to slow down the Unleash The Hounds Hunter decks from reaching their ideal damage. Outside of Senjin the taunts are solid cards by themselves. 

I know some Shaman decks play Lava Burst but I haven't tried them. Any idea how they are? Overload 2 seems like a lot for the effect. 5 mana for 5 damage?

Nish    253

What I'm playing at the moment. Mostly standard but a couple weird things I guess?

Early game removal - They're all very good at all stages of the game, excluding Forked Lightning which falls flat without enough spell power. In a slower meta I would def drop it.

Only one Stormforged Axe - Yeah, I dunno. I kind only want to see this card once, especially against Mage. You can only make so many minion trades with this without running out of health. Why am I playing more Rockbiters than Stormforge? Mostly just as another answer to our dearly beloved 1 drop cleric and other 3 health friends. I might bump Stormforged back to two but 3 health cards are pretty popular. 

Faerie Dragon - Before weapon decks fell out of favor this was Ooze. During the early game against the control decks we may be both not playing minions and just waiting for someone to do something. So I replaced Ooze which was barely hitting anything with Faerie Dragon. It is something Priest/Mage can't touch and will force them to play a bit awkwardly and less optimal. I'm still trying it and could easily replace it. 

Senjin Shieldmaster - Yeah this card is whatever. I just wanted to play a good 4 drop to fit the curve. Shaman spells fall between 1-3 and creatures are 5-8. It's helpful as another method to protecting Mana Tide (therefore forcing removal on it). Having more creatures before MC can be played is nice too. Very easily am I open to replacing it.

No Unbound Elementals - Maybe I should be playing these over Senjin? The only overload synergy for Shaman and I don't play it?! It doesn't do much and it takes 2 overload spells to make it better than a Yeti. I get that it's a 3 drop but after a lot of games with it I haven't been a fan and would rather just skip it.

Legendaries - I crafted Rag but have access to Malygos and Sylvannas from pack pulls if you want to suggest others. Nowhere near being able to craft another legendary like Al'Akir/Thalnos/Ysara right now. 

The Fatties - Earth Ele, Argent, Fire Ele and Ragnaros are my end game line-up. Earth Ele has never been dead, Fire Elemental/Argent are the best 6 drops in the game and Ragnaros cleans up shop. 

So many taunts?! - Just as a way to slow down the Unleash The Hounds Hunter decks. Outside of Senjin the taunts are solid cards by themselves. 

I know some Shaman decks play Lava Burst but I haven't tried them. Any idea how they are? Overload 2 seems like a lot for the effect. 

With Artosis winning the Blizzcon tournament with weapon based warrior/paladin decks, there might be a surge of popularity for them again and you might want to watch for it and switch back to ooze but who knows! If you're only coming across mage/priest then Faerie Dragon is clearly better but chances are a lot of people will try and netdeck Artosis.

With the draw power from Mana Tide/Azure Drake and the large amount of card-efficiency in your deck as is, you'll probably have a fairly large hand at a few stages in the game - maybe consider Twilight Drake? Even with the nerfs it's still a powerful card.

If you own Sylvanas i'd run it in this, it's very strong because even if you don't get its deathrattle, it forces them to waste cards they probably don't want to on it and chances are you'll get at least 2 cards out of it unless you're fairly unlucky. I think it was Trump who thought it was the best legendary in the game? I wouldn't agree, but it's still a very powerful card.

Instead of Senjin Shieldmasta, have you considered Chillwind Yeti and then replacing something else with Defender of Argus? Defender seems pretty strong when you can put taunt on your meaty non-taunt creatures (especially Twilight Drake, if you decide to run it)

Axle    1217

I dropped an Earth Ele for Sylvanas. Many times I find myself waiting a couple turns on Earth Ele so I can drop my 6s first anyways.

Twilight Drake - Yeah I haven't tried this card since the nerfs. I'll craft it and see how it goes. 

Yeti - I'd honestly rather have the taunt over the 1 attack in this deck. I'm not sure if I have enough early creatures for Defender of Argus and buffing totems is ehhh.