Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

wonderPreaux    1408

I feel like the heal 20 would also be a pain in the ass, maybe more than Ragnaros, since setting up a 23 dmg burst isn't too unlikely. I haven't tested Apothecary, but my gut instinct is that it's less than great. Part of what made Healbot so good for me when I tested it is that you could depressurize the board with Flamestrike or Doomsayer, then heal to kite Steady Shot or burn or w/e, whereas with Apothecary it's weird dealing with midrange guys and only stop-gaps aggro. I'll be testing Refreshment Vendor as a  way to get a bit of heal and contest drops, and I'm gonna give the Reno list a try when I next have some time. I've liked Cone a lot though, I would recommend it.

SrkyBoy    27

way you beat matchups where they can heal is by playing emperor thaurisan on 2 Frostbolt + 2 Ice Lance + 3 fireballs ( if you somehow manage to save coin, it can be used instead of 1 frostbolt )  , or Thalnos + Frostbolt + 2 Icelance + 3 Fireballs , ( there is like 1 or 2 more ways to do it) so basically them being able to heal for 20 is irrelevant unless they somehow they put a lot of pressure and you must race with them. Ragnaros is a big deal, because you have to use frost bolt + ice lance to get rid of it, which messes up with 2 OTK combos 

• Upvote 1

Digbick    7270

fuck off 

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

• Upvote 3

Dank Memeston    1716

Has anyone been doing well with a non-freeze mage deck? I've been pretty casual but decided to get rid of everything non-mage so it wouod be cool if there were other options doing well. Right now i am playing some sort of tempo cthun mage deck but it is pretty trash and although i really like the spell buff cthun guy i am not sure it is better then any other 2 drop. The 3 drop 2 dage guy has been bordeline fine. 

»Paxman    4776
1 hour ago, Dank Memeston said:

Has anyone been doing well with a non-freeze mage deck? I've been pretty casual but decided to get rid of everything non-mage so it wouod be cool if there were other options doing well. Right now i am playing some sort of tempo cthun mage deck but it is pretty trash and although i really like the spell buff cthun guy i am not sure it is better then any other 2 drop. The 3 drop 2 dage guy has been bordeline fine. 

WrgBEsS.png

• Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716
17 minutes ago, Paxman said:

Thanks, this looks interesting. :)

Conspire    2391

So I went 4-2 at the tournament, finishing 1 round out of the money :(

Ended up going with C'Thun Warrior, Control Priest and Zoo Warlock.  Ultimately I know I didn't bring the best decks.  I really wished I had been able to make some better control decks because I definitely think my original plan of "bring 3 control decks" would have been very successful.  Prelude, who didn't lose in the winner's bracket, brought 3 control decks.

Here's how my matches went:

First round I won 3-0.  My zoo and warrior both took out his control pally and priest beat his c'thun druid.  Nothing too memorable about this game.

Second round I faced Firebat and lost 3-2.  I knew what he was playing going in because Impact, Luffy and Twisted were running the same lists and I had been hanging out with them before the tournament started.  I knew the line-up was specifically designed to hard counter zoo and that's what it did.  I started out 2-0 with my warrior and priest beating his freeze mage, but he drew great hands vs my zoo the next 3 games and won them pretty easily.  He got a nova/doomsayer combo with freeze mage and a backstab/SI-7 agent with rogue.  In the Patron vs zoo match-up I had him against the ropes with board control, had him at low life and had Leeroy/PO in hand for lethal next turn, but he swung it all back with double armorsmith, wild pyro and 2 inner rages to gain like 16 armor and stablize the board.  This would be the only match where zoo lost a game but it got reverse swept for my first loss in the tournament.

Third round (first of losers bracket) I got a bye thanks to my few HCT points from hitting legend rank a few times.

Fourth round I beat up on another C'thun Druid.  My zoo and warrior got me out to a 2-0 lead vs his C'Thun Druid and he took a game off my Priest with a tempo Mage before I closed it out vs his C'Thun Druid again.  I never saw his Shaman deck.

Fifth round was against funkymath, which is a name I recognize from some tournaments.  This match was crazy.  Game 1 was my zoo vs his beast druid and it was a very close game.  It ended with me at 2 hp and him topdecking.  I had 2 taunts on board and he ripped Wrath, used the cycle and got another Wrath, used the cycle (which killed the minion now) and hit Raven Idol.  He Idol'd for spells, got another Raven Idol and Idol's again for spells and hit nothing.  I was also topdecking and picked up my 2nd Defender of Argus and dropped it down and swung.  He drew, played the Nourish he got from Idol last turn but didn't hit any lethal.  He dropped Druid of the Claw in taunt form and Innervated a Mark of Yssarj.  Next turn I ripped either Leeroy or PO for the game.

Game 2 was equally crazy.  He brought out the control Paladin this time vs my C'Thun warrior and it came down to the wire.  He played the match-up correctly and didn't overextend.  In the end it came down to him playing N'Zoth for a huge board, me brawling, him developing again and me dropping C'Thun to clear.  He had BGH for my C'Thun and had been smacking me with the Ashbringer for like 5 turns straight, taking me down to 20 or something.  I dropped Revenge for 1 damage and Executed 2 guys before playing Monkey and tanking up.  He cleared my board up and dropped me to 11 with a 4/1 BGH and a 1/1 token on the board.  At this point we both had no cards left in deck.  The cards I got off monkey were a bunch of big dudes who wouldn't save me and one minion that possibly could: Yogg-Sauron.  I dropped Yogg fully expecting it to kill me with fatigue by drawing cards.  Instead it used Innervate, Preperation, Hex (on his 4/1 BGH), Stand Against Darkness, Powershot (killing 2 of my tokens), Kill Command on his 1/1 token, Gang Up on the 0/1 frog and something that drew me 1 card.  Now with 2 cards in deck and no longer taking fatigue damage I played the 0/1 frog for free.  Next turn he tried to develop what he could but I cleared with my guys and played Y'ssarj and he conceded.

His Shaman took out my Priest before Priest beat his beast druid.

In the sixth round RNGezus decided I had enough luck the previous match and my draws were absolutely terrible.  I lost to Ghaskull, which is a name I recognize as well but honestly didn't think he was very good.  I beat him game 1 with zoo vs his C'Thun Druid.  I was fully expecting to 3-0 his C'Thun Druid but he just nutted out with a C'Thun Druid draw that curved out perfectly and beat my warrior deck.  Then I proceded to draw a double revenge, double execute, 1 C'Thun pumper, C'Thun and 2 Ancient Shieldbearers that did nothing kind of draw and lost to his mage.  My warrior finally got a win vs his Shaman but game 5 he drew a solid Shaman hand and his Tuskar Totemic's dropped Flametongue (for a relevant value trade) and Totem Golem

The tournament was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about what I would need to do to become a better Hearthstone player.  I got there pretty early and joined a conversation between Hotform, ThatsAdmirable and Th3_R4t until more people got there.  I was like a sponge trying to learn as much as I can from these guys.  It was great listening to everyone's insight.  Firebat and SuperJJ were chilling with Impact/Luffy/Twisted, who were already my friends from Yu-Gi-Oh! days, and Astrogation was staying with them as well, so I ended up chilling with those guys Saturday night which was a pretty good time.  I found that most of the HS pros are either socially awkward or high off the smell of their own piss and weren't really enjoyable to hang around.  Firebat, Th3_R4t and Nostam were totally different and were really cool dudes.  Firebat gave me a lot of insight into the world of professional gaming and esports.

The weekend made me realize I'll never be anything but a filthy hearthstone casual since I just don't have the time to spend on the game, but I still feel like I got a lot better and am hoping I can take that knowledge with me in a few weeks at Good Game Con in Toronto.

• Upvote 9

»Ryuuzaki    2545

I love you Matt, when are Dale and Lazaro going to get into Hearthstone?

Conspire    2391

Dale and Lazaro are even filthier casuals than I am.  They share an account under Lazaro's name so Dale couldn't even play tournaments if he wanted to lol.

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7437

Firebat does seem like a decent dude in his stream.

Carbon    1884

Ammit if you're still playing Cthun Rogue test out Bladed Cultist.

They've been working pretty well for me as it's only early drop and kinda works late game too. Turn 1 a 1\2 can still contest other early drops but it's not hard to get the combo off on it either making it a zombie chow with no downside. It also gives me something early to do with a Shafpwstep if drawn early. Shadow is broke but it sucks drawing them too soon and it lets Blade trade then replay it as a 2/3. Idk if in the long run theyll be kept but they are certainly pretty good and I'm liking them.

Tingy    463
On 3 May 2016 at 10:02 AM, Conspire said:

So I went 4-2 at the tournament, finishing 1 round out of the money :(

Ended up going with C'Thun Warrior, Control Priest and Zoo Warlock.  Ultimately I know I didn't bring the best decks.  I really wished I had been able to make some better control decks because I definitely think my original plan of "bring 3 control decks" would have been very successful.  Prelude, who didn't lose in the winner's bracket, brought 3 control decks.

Here's how my matches went:

Reveal hidden contents

The tournament was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about what I would need to do to become a better Hearthstone player.  I got there pretty early and joined a conversation between Hotform, ThatsAdmirable and Th3_R4t until more people got there.  I was like a sponge trying to learn as much as I can from these guys.  It was great listening to everyone's insight.  Firebat and SuperJJ were chilling with Impact/Luffy/Twisted, who were already my friends from Yu-Gi-Oh! days, and Astrogation was staying with them as well, so I ended up chilling with those guys Saturday night which was a pretty good time.  I found that most of the HS pros are either socially awkward or high off the smell of their own piss and weren't really enjoyable to hang around.  Firebat, Th3_R4t and Nostam were totally different and were really cool dudes.  Firebat gave me a lot of insight into the world of professional gaming and esports.

The weekend made me realize I'll never be anything but a filthy hearthstone casual since I just don't have the time to spend on the game, but I still feel like I got a lot better and am hoping I can take that knowledge with me in a few weeks at Good Game Con in Toronto.

Luffy and twisted were from YUGIOH?

Conspire    2391

Yeah they are 2 Montreal boys.  Luffy was also on the Gears of War team Fear.  Luffy is one of the funniest people I know.

Also turns out I did land in the money.  Hit top 32 and made $50.  My eSports career is taking off.

I'm definitely loving Hearhstone right now.  After the initial C'Thun/Yogg hype started to die down aggro really took over the ladder for a couple of days.  But now that other decks are becoming more refined I'm finding I'm facing a lot more mid-range/control decks as well.  As people figure out more powerful card combinations the meta will continue to shift.

Also I've been playing Tempo Warrior since the tournament.  I was absolutely crushing everything for a while but I'm running into more Control Warrior now which is proving to be a tougher match-up.

Not sure if I said this on this board yet but IMO Tuskar Totemic is this format's Knife Juggler.  50% chance to put you way ahead with no real drawback.

• Upvote 2

Carbon    1884

So how can I go about signing up for tournaments and all that?
After playing for a while I now finally have everything where I can build multiple fully built decks and want to try taking it a little further. I've google'd it but it didn't help out too much. If you could give me a basic rundown? I could try and find the rest of the information I just need to know where to start. 

»Ryuuzaki    2545

https://strivewire.com/

5 minutes ago, Carbon said:

So how can I go about signing up for tournaments and all that?
After playing for a while I now finally have everything where I can build multiple fully built decks and want to try taking it a little further. I've google'd it but it didn't help out too much. If you could give me a basic rundown? I could try and find the rest of the information I just need to know where to start. 

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150

Man I miss Lazaro Bellido. Hearing that name brings back memories.

»slick    4668
23 hours ago, Conspire said:

Yeah they are 2 Montreal boys.  Luffy was also on the Gears of War team Fear.  Luffy is one of the funniest people I know.

Also turns out I did land in the money.  Hit top 32 and made $50.  My eSports career is taking off.

I'm definitely loving Hearhstone right now.  After the initial C'Thun/Yogg hype started to die down aggro really took over the ladder for a couple of days.  But now that other decks are becoming more refined I'm finding I'm facing a lot more mid-range/control decks as well.  As people figure out more powerful card combinations the meta will continue to shift.

Also I've been playing Tempo Warrior since the tournament.  I was absolutely crushing everything for a while but I'm running into more Control Warrior now which is proving to be a tougher match-up.

Not sure if I said this on this board yet but IMO Tuskar Totemic is this format's Knife Juggler.  50% chance to put you way ahead with no real drawback.

GJ Matt. Good result, good experience. You will only get better results in time.

I wish I could get into constructed but ladder is so boring and I dont enter tournaments so I dont really get to see more interesting decks.

I still feel the ladder meta will degenerate into the typical RPS garbage, because it always does. Aggro starts winning, then people build anti-aggro control decks with a shit ton of board clears, then traditional control decks start beating the anti-aggro control decks, then aggro makes a comeback because it beats control, rinse, repeat

• Downvote 1

FVFRYTHFNG    346

Do we have any Dgzers and Dreamhack Austin?

Tingy    463

josh and wigly is there, thats about it i think 

Kahlil    804
17 hours ago, PSY-Framelord Kappa said:

Do we have any Dgzers and Dreamhack Austin?

when is dreamhack austin?  I live in san antonio currently

slickz    4322

My buddy philtor210 from san antonio is there but i think he already dropped. ^it's this weekend 

On an unrelated note, I'm really enjoying Hearthstone rn. People bitch about a stale format but there are so many decks being refined it's really fun experimenting and using cards that people haven't considered in awhile

».ben.    7437

People will always bitch because that's what people do.

early formats are fun. there's still so much to test and tweak. people like to act like everything is already figured out, but that's far from accurate. I do think you can start to identify certain trends that probably aren't going anywhere.

Ammit    5159
On 5/5/2016 at 2:30 PM, slick said:

GJ Matt. Good result, good experience. You will only get better results in time.

I wish I could get into constructed but ladder is so boring and I dont enter tournaments so I dont really get to see more interesting decks.

I still feel the ladder meta will degenerate into the typical RPS garbage, because it always does. Aggro starts winning, then people build anti-aggro control decks with a shit ton of board clears, then traditional control decks start beating the anti-aggro control decks, then aggro makes a comeback because it beats control, rinse, repeat

the problem with that now is that the control decks that have good matchups against aggro can very easily also have good matchups against other control decks. n'zoth adds a completely different late game option for control decks that didn't have before that let's you go over the top in control mirrors. 

».ben.    7437

There are a ton of interesting combos and counter-combos in brawl this week.

Although Naturalize+Coldlight is kind of hard to beat.

Digbick    7270

I was incredibly skillful in this week tavern brawl. I went innverate yoggsaron. Otked my opp by sheer skill