Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

wonderPreaux    1407

So, I've been trying to play a bit more HS lately, since I kinda dropped off a bit when I started work. I've been mostly playing Midrange Shaman, because it seems pretty nutty, and I can play like an idiot and still win. That aside, there's definitely some stuff I want to brush up on, so I'm hoping you can all help out with some tips and such.

RE: Midrange Shaman

> Am I being dumb, or is Tunnel Trogg not that amazing in this deck? While I can sometimes get the Trogg > Golem opener and shut out aggro/board control decks, I feel like it's often just pushing 1 damage while I totem, or hanging awkwardly while I try to make a Feral Spirit connection. I'm inclined to think that it's better than comparable 1-drops like Squire, but has anyone tried running Claws only as the 1-drop, and then fit in more midrange threats like Ragnaros or the like? 

RE: Control Warrior (I'm trash at this deck, send help pls)

> I have basically no experience with this deck, and have consequently been playing it pretty terribly, imo. As a general case, I feel like a lot of the issue is that I fall too far behind, and can't get enough value out of my cards. Should I be hard mulliganing for War Axe all the time so that I maximize the chance of keeping the early turns to myself, because I feel like I get overwhelmed otherwise?

> I see some varying ways people try to give an end game to the deck: Elise+Yogg, Elise+N'Zoth, C'Thun, Fatigue, Elise+Bombs. Would I be right in thinking that, unless my endgame package has a mechanical advantage against a deck I expect to be highly represented (ex: Spells+Yogg against heavy aggro, Fatigue against heavy control), should I try to play something like N'Zoth because its the most middle-of-the-road in terms of value versus matchup skewing (Taurens give you clearance agaisnt Aggro, but you can convert them to legends and N'Zoth back Sylvanas/Cairne against control, for instance)?

> In the mirror, are there common signals to know when it's time to clam up and try to draw as little as possible? I know there are certain priorities like Justicar/Elise, and that you want to have answers available to dispatch threats but I feel like it's hard to know when I need to dig for plays/answers, especially when the opponent can just armor up if try to dig for removal.

> Against Shaman, I know a big part of the matchup is trying to get to a point where you can stick something on the board that can bash down the totems (hence the combo of War Axe + Ghoul being so good, you can answer Golem and have a totem-breaker). Ifyou open on Axe and they just start toteming, what are some inflections to look for to know if it'd be worth using Axe charges on early totems?

> Against midrange decks (Dragon Priest/Warrior, for example), would I be right in thinking that the matchups are kinda even, because all my removal is basically even on average against their threats? Would the individual matchups mostly come down to whose draws line up better and who teched to be greedier?

RE: Secret Hunter

> I've managed to run into a Hunter build that seems to only be 2 Secretkeeper, 2 Huntress, Rag and 25 traps, bows, spells etc. I've managed to lose to it because my opponents all just flopped Rag as their last card and it hits my face for lethal all three times (better than Call of the Wild! +3dmg to face, 1 mana less!). Much like my Questing Adventurer encounters, I'm left wondering if it's a real deck or if I'm just having some bad encounters with Ragnaros.

• Upvote 1

SrkyBoy    27

I think Trogg already by itself is better than all the other 1 drops because its 1/3 ( already better than average 2/1 or 1/2 ). Overload buffs are just a bonus to it. I tried only claws as 1 drop when I was testing WitchDoctor Primal fusion deck, and I think mirror matches are decided by turn 3, because player who sets board first will bait out first lightning storm. Thats why I think 1 drops like Squire and Trogg are super important.

For Warrior, I think keeping war axe is priority, but you can keep things like slam and ghouls vs decks like zoo as well. Keep brawl vs midrange shaman ( imo more important than axe in this matchup). If you have war axe vs shaman, you can keep ghoul because you can clear off totem golem. Keep Justicar TrueHart vs mid shamans, druids, warrior.

Against shamans, dont use war axe on totems. They are actually not threatening at all. just clear every other minion. Try to calcucate how much damage they have with bloodlust and only brawl away totems if they are buffed with thunder bluff valiant.

In the Warrior mirror match, just keep Justicar and elise in your mulligan. Warrior mirror match is pretty easy when you are used to it, the most important thing is to never play a card until you reach 10 cards in hand. if you are playing minions, they can get rid of their useless slams/war axe from hand. You want to put them into awkward spots where they must use spells like bash and revenge from hand just so they wouldnt overdraw and then you get rid of your situtational stuff. Never play sylv in mirror because they can just give you acolyte, try to save sylv until they are forced to play their big minion ( most important one is cairne) 

• Upvote 2

Ammit    5159

also for warrior control mirror you basically want to draw as little as absolutely possible, and keeping track of where you are deck size wise between both decks like every turn is important because more often than not you're going to fatigue or close to it. Also war axe is great vs a lot of decks, I'd keep more often than not depending what class your against and what you've been seeing more on ladder I guess if that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

SrkyBoy    27

Only exception where you draw is when you know your opponent's deck is greedier than yours so you want to turbo into monkey to stand a chance. 

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7438

This is a dumb Beast-Dragon deck I tooled around with over the weekend because I had a bunch of Druid quests. Just a standard curve deck. Objectively, it is not good. But, generally I found it to be much better than standard beast druid. Also, people get really confused when you start dropping Corruptors after first doing beast stuff. That part's fun.

2 Innervate

2 Living Roots

2 Enchanted Raven

1 Sir Finley Mrrgglton

2 Mark of Y'Shaarj

2 Faerie Dragon

2 Druid of the Saber

2 Blackwing Technician

2 Savage Combatant

2 Twilight Guardian

2 Swipe

2 Azure Drake

2 Druid of the Claw

2 Blackwing Corruptor

1 Drakonid Crusher

1 The Curator

1 Deathwing

I wanted Combatant to be Armored Warhorse so much, but Jousts are basically impossible to win when you're so heavy on early drops. Also never lucky.

• Upvote 1

website is bad    2170

back in the saddle boyz

CvgAZnbVMAAb1OB.jpg

• Upvote 1

Blacklisted    1328

1 like = 1 prayer for handsomeguy. Got nut drawn every game by Cydonia

• Upvote 2

Sykotic    7973

how come nobody on dgz plays arena? i love it personally and find constructed really rather boring and more about memorizing situations and decklists than creative gameplay. 

i do hate that theres no ranking system or tournaments/prizes though, so thatd be a valid point. just interested in other opinions

• Upvote 1

wonderPreaux    1407

I played a lot of Arena earlier this year. I felt it was something I'd neglected a lot and it seemed like a neat challenge because, while it lacks in ranking or tournaments, it does have charming rewards like heaps of gold and packs and such. I got some sick runs and it felt really fun.

However, I find the problems I have with Arena are basically the opposite of the ones you cite about constructed. Arena is more "wet and wild", but it's not as though you suddenly aren't trying to play around things like you do in constructed, you just have to play around broad strokes instead of specific things.

Moreover, you're exposed to more variance in deck construction, which does solve the relative staleness of decks, but replace it with a lot of potential for bad beats. The big "arena fix" that tried to correct how Mage got a good class common basically every set while Hunter gets, like, Dart Trap, for instance, also seems like an admission of poor planning for Arena. For every time a Druid nutted on me with t1 Innervate in constructed, I'm sure there's one dude getting knocked out of a game by the dude who drafted 5 Firelands Portals.

Lastly, while Arena isn't as clear-cut as Constructed, I don't think it's actually more creative, in fact, I'd say it's basically the opposite; everything is a midrange-tempo deck. How are you going to ever play combo in Arena without getting really lucky, for instance? How creative is a deck going to be when you want 6ish 1/2 drops and 3-4 drops on 3, 4, and 5 in basically 99% of cases? The best parallel I can draw is when Cube Drafting was all the rage in YGO, and ACP made the observation that adding more cards to your cube decrease deck variation, not increasing it, because its statistically less likely that you'll get any given theme and the EV of the "generic good stuff" decks is relatively higher. Same deal here, the card pool is only getting deeper, how could you justify pick 1 Anyfin or some other build-around knowing that it's astronomically low odds that the rest of the deck comes together?

Basically, Arena's fun, and I think shifting between that and constructed is likely a good way to fight getting burned out, but it's real tough to hold up either format as a well-designed or super-deep format. Cube draft a game with people some time, also, that's another lesson here.

• Upvote 2

Ammit    5159

Who all did people pick for the free pack thing for worlds. I went with Amnesiac because I forgot Thjis was in it but I'm pretty happy with that now.

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7438

I went with bbgungun...probably should have stuck with Amnesiac.

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7438

Since HS is pretty stale right now, I have been trolling lower ranks with a Rhonin OTK deck that has been surprisingly fun to play. So many pings and fireballs! I just came off a game beating a C'Thun Warrior who had a field of C'Thun/Shield Bearer and 73 health.

2 Arcane Blast

2 Arcane Missiles

2 Mana Wyrm

2 Mirror Image

1 Arcane Explosion

1 Bloodmage Thalnos

2 Frostbolt

2 Loot Hoarder

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 Acolyte of Paine

2 Arcane Intellect

2 Flamewaker

1 Barnes

2 Fireball

2 Azure Drake

1 Emperor Thaurissan

1 Archmage Antonidas

1 Rhonin

• Upvote 1

».ben.    7438

Beat Thijs this morning. Not sure what he was playing, but it was a really bad paladin deck. Menagerie maybe?

• Upvote 1

Kahlil    806

So how about this upcoming new set. You can read up on it on the competitiveHS reddit, but its pretty legit

• Upvote 1

brighteyes    2150

Mean Streets of Gadgetzan gets it right in just the first thirty cards tbh.

What is the format? Way too aggressive and Priest blows. So they show off a lot of new anti-aggro stuff and some premium tier Priest stuff.

And there are more discover cards which is easily the best mechanic in the game.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

confuse ray    4215

Amnesiac should have beat pavel... idk if anybody saw but pavel topped a babbling book which gave him a polymorph for a rag he had no outs too. i was salty

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

».ben.    7438
23 hours ago, iSlickz said:

Amnesiac should have beat pavel... idk if anybody saw but pavel topped a babbling book which gave him a polymorph for a rag he had no outs too. i was salty

Yeah - pavel had some godlike RNG the whole tournament.

The new set looks really legit. I was going to list the ones I liked, and then realized that I liked most the cards shown so far.

»BoraxTheLean    7119
On 11/6/2016 at 8:04 AM, brighteyes said:

Mean Streets of Gadgetzan gets it right in just the first thirty cards tbh.

What is the format? Way too aggressive and Priest blows. So they show off a lot of new anti-aggro stuff and some premium tier Priest stuff.

And there are more discover cards which is easily the best mechanic in the game.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aggressive decks are so bad right now and it makes me sad )-:

website is bad    2170

im a gamer on the go i dont have any gotdam time for control mirrors

I feel like buffing cards in your hand is really underwhelming when its just adding numbers. The cards are pretty good, but it doesn't feel like something you'd have a lot of decision making involved in barring some sort of wacky charge otk deck. It'd be a lot cooler imo if there was something that gave divine shield or taunt or a similar mechanic that you want to make sure goes on a bigger minion.

».ben.    7438
On 11/8/2016 at 6:05 PM, hd LSD Druglord said:

I feel like buffing cards in your hand is really underwhelming when its just adding numbers. The cards are pretty good, but it doesn't feel like something you'd have a lot of decision making involved in barring some sort of wacky charge otk deck. It'd be a lot cooler imo if there was something that gave divine shield or taunt or a similar mechanic that you want to make sure goes on a bigger minion.

I think it will actually end up being a pretty strong mechanic, especially with the amount of redundancy and minions like Dispatch Kodo that are designed to synergize perfectly with the mechanic.

».ben.    7438
On 11/8/2016 at 6:05 PM, hd LSD Druglord said:

I think it will actually end up being a pretty strong mechanic, especially with the amount of redundancy and minions like Dispatch Kodo that are designed to synergize perfectly with the mechanic.

brighteyes    2150

I'm all about buffing random shit in my hand.

Especially the one that buffs a weapon by an attack and a durability. That card is super sweet.