Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

8225 posts in this topic

Does someone from here run this site?  It has the exact same layout as dgz (lol at "Apex of Competition").

I think it's actually a decent idea to try as I remember a big complaint people had with posting publicly in yugioh forums was that they didn't want "to lose their edge", though I just grind to 5 each month so I can't actually view any of the content.

Layout is just so much uglier than dgz though.

I know this meta game is junk right now, but I am having a lot of fun playing Y'shaarj Druid. Recently beat Purple on ladder. He was playing a more standard Druid. 

The metagame doesn't actually seem that bad to me. There are a couple more unplayable classes than usual I guess.

this is the best meta since secret pally meta. i really like metas where its clearly obvious whats the best deck, because that becomes the most popular deck on ladder and you can always try to counter it by either playing a full counter ( freeze) or teching your mid shaman for mirror and trying to outplay opponent in mirror. mid shaman mirror is actually not brainless, its really easy to get advantage of player who uses aoe badly. metas where there are 5-6 playable strategies but none of them do similar thing are quite awful because then you are hoping to luckily queue into your favorable matchup.

while shaman is like the de facto best deck ladder meta is still pretty diverse in the 5 range. i'd say half the time or more i'm running into non shaman classes. also feel like there's a lot of decks that have slight edges on shaman (besides freeze) but shaman can just powerhouse through those 5% edges or whatever.

i'd honestly have a lot easier time figuring out what deck to play if i ran against more shaman daily

Rank 5 is always the most unpredictable because you hit a log jam of people who can't advance without the win streaks. You also encounter a lot of people who treat rank 5 like "their legend" and once they get there start messing around with fun decks. I don't get a ton of time to play HS so usually by the time I hit rank 5 it's like halfway through the month and I run into a wall of random shit. Honestly going from 5-3 is the hardest part of the climb to me.  Going from 3-legend is much easier. 

currently at 2 hoping to hit legend for the first time. 5's usually what i can hit easily when i put in the time for the month, the last time i was this close i got to r1 3 stars with a couple hours left and lost like 4 times in a row

There isn't just some new King Krush otk lurking deep in this set's new hunter cards....right?

after 2 and a half years of playing this game i finally hit legend and it feels great. i climbed from 5 on with mostly secret hunter

i didn't really notice the tri class glitch opening packs but i'm still getting my 33% reimbursement which means i'm getting a bit over 40 packs for free. also wondering what everyone's been trying out and what seems as good as predicted better or worse for y'all

8 minutes ago, Ammit said:

i didn't really notice the tri class glitch opening packs but i'm still getting my 33% reimbursement which means i'm getting a bit over 40 packs for free. also wondering what everyone's been trying out and what seems as good as predicted better or worse for y'all

That's a sick deal

I got 22 additional packs thanks to that reimbursement. :)

I tried out 3 decks last night: Token Druid, Reno Mage, and Pirate Warrior.

I think Pirate Warrior was an obvious choice as a strong aggro deck. I have yet to bump into any decks that I would consider a bad matchup yet, but the meta is still very volatile, so that could change soon.

Token Druid was decent, though I felt it was a little clunky. My deck might need some fine-tuning, but it felt strong overall. I think it's really going to boil down to proper usage of Jade Idol. Choosing when to summon and when to add more cheap spells adds an interesting skill dynamic to that deck at first. Violet Teacher is nuts with all of the cheap spells Druid can run now. I think this deck has potential to be really good, just might need someone better than me to make a good decklist.

Reno Mage was surprisingly underwhelming. I wanted so bad to make it work, but it ultimately ended up being too slow to keep up with all of the new aggro decks. Hell, even Dragon Priest was stomping me. My list may not have been great, but the deck just felt really slow. It's got a lot of control, but it struggles to keep up.

I saw some really good aggro Hunter decks on the ladder - I think that's definitely going to be a contender for a while. I also really want to try building a Secret Tempo Mage deck and see how that fares. They have some really good support on that front now, though I'm not sure if it's enough to make it competitive.

I got 32 packs back thanks from the glitch. I totally noticed it though. I had like 5 golden grimy goons 2/4 guy.

This is super early yet, but I am sort of worried that Miracle Idol Druid is going to push a lot of decks out of the metagame. I've only beaten it when playing a face or curve deck. Truth be told, those decks beat it fairly easily. It just has so much ramp and cycle. Anything a bit slow seems to get really punished.

6 minutes ago, .ben. said:

I got 32 packs back thanks from the glitch. I totally noticed it though. I had like 5 golden grimy goons 2/4 guy.

This is super early yet, but I am sort of worried that Miracle Idol Druid is going to push a lot of decks out of the metagame. I've only beaten it when playing a face or curve deck. Truth be told, those decks beat it fairly easily. It just has so much ramp and cycle. Anything a bit slow seems to get really punished.

Yeah it's going to have to be built in a way to beat the aggro decks. It can sacrifice some consistency against slower decks because it's just so strong there.

Aggro Pally is fun  

Dragon Preist, Jade Druid, Handlock all seem like the best decks

pirate warrior is super annoying to play against. jade druid seems like it's in a weird spot because the miracle version seems better but the added creatures do really well in druid on druid. handlock and dragon priest have tested best for me so far overall. 

wasn't able to screencap it in time but one of the options on the opponent wheel finder is now roach boy

Pirate is super annoying, but I feel like it may just be one of those decks that's thriving because everything is still new.

Murloc Buffadin has been one of the most fun decks that I've played with thus far.

It's funny that the Goons % is so high, since it's almost certainly pirates, and not goons, carrying them.

Gang Up is stupid. 
All you have to do is draw it since Patches comes out anyway. Shuffle in 3 Patches then any pirate gets 3 from the deck lol. 

Hearthstone Screenshot 12-06-16 14.53.34.png

Edited by Carbon

On 12/5/2016 at 7:28 PM, wonderPreaux said:

I think the Deck Discussion section is underused because we were used to just posting decks in the main discussion thread. Like, if we want to do it YGO style and have big OPs for super-types of decks, I'll gladly post some up.

Hey there, cool cats,

In the spirit of making our section less of a desolate ghost town, I'm gonna try and start posting some more content in the deck discussion/general area threads, so that we have better venues to discuss the game. With that in mind, I'd like some opinions before I get started.

Deck Discussion Threads 

What sort of threads would you guys want? I see two very good options, but I'd love to hear suggestions/opinions:

- Organize by class: Easy, intuitive way of looking at it ex: Zoo Warlock thread, Control Warlock thread (Reno/other), Tempo Mage, Freeze Mage. The downside here is that there's little that would distinguish the thread's OP from a basic guide, at some level, it wouldn't necessarily facilitate high level discussion. Also, discussions would be easy to interact with and locate, though there might be a bloat of varied threads. May fall victim to splitting hairs over decktypes, or flash-in-the-pan threads also.

- Organize by super-type: Ex. Pirate, Reno; each thread would explore the nuance between the class approaches to the super-type as well as the given decks themselves. Ex: Pirate Rogue having Backstab and/or Gang Up as well as reduced susceptibility to Ooxe whereas Pirate Warrior boasts improved resilience against early control minions due to War Axe. Discussing and comparing available cards elevates the discussion into a more nuanced examination of card usage and pros/cons of any given build, at the cost of making the thread more esoteric to enter into. As an aside, it lets up accommodate flavor-of-the-month/meme decks by folding them into a super-type instead of giving them their own thread.

Beginner Content/Conceptual Discussions

Idk how many people lurk this subforum or look at it, but one thing that got mentioned in gen-grounds discussion of this sub-forum is that some people might not post outside the general thread because they don't feel confident to talk theory or technical play. I think a section of how-to or beginner content, in addition to technical discussions, even in a "how would you play this hand" type of thing, could elevate and encourage contribution. Would there be interest in technical play or beginner/novice content?

If anyone has any other suggestions on content they'd like to see, I'd love to hear it. I have some experience streaming card games, so if people have an interest in video guides or "DGz plays X certain deck" where me and some other cool DGz folks hop in a Skype call and gang-bang the ladder, those are all things I could consider as well.