Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

8225 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2017 at 9:16 PM, Paraliel said:

Surprised they were so conservative with the moves.

I think it's a good precedent to set though.

anyone else having fun with finja right now?

Yep, finja decks are great

More like Fun-ja!

Arena sucks now. It's a goddamn crap shoot.

im in the ballot for global games for new zealand, hope i win

Hi guys,

Around mid-April I'll be updating the strategy discussions for Year-of-the-Mammoth. I'm thinking Finja midrange/tempo might be worth drafting a discussion for, and we'll see what rotation holds for combo/highlander.

One thing I've been considering is shifting the discussion template a bit by taking some cues from something like Smogon's write-ups for Pokemon, that emphasis overarching movesets/builds (here, they would be classes of an archetype), a brief nod to flexes/techs built in, and then a section of deck tips in general (echoing the team-building suggestions for a Pokemon) and then checks and counters based on matchups on an archetype-wide interaction (this is possibly complex due to class permutations). Thoughts?

0867c31836.png

Most undeserved win to rank 4

On 3/13/2017 at 10:10 PM, wonderPreaux said:

Hi guys,

Around mid-April I'll be updating the strategy discussions for Year-of-the-Mammoth. I'm thinking Finja midrange/tempo might be worth drafting a discussion for, and we'll see what rotation holds for combo/highlander.

One thing I've been considering is shifting the discussion template a bit by taking some cues from something like Smogon's write-ups for Pokemon, that emphasis overarching movesets/builds (here, they would be classes of an archetype), a brief nod to flexes/techs built in, and then a section of deck tips in general (echoing the team-building suggestions for a Pokemon) and then checks and counters based on matchups on an archetype-wide interaction (this is possibly complex due to class permutations). Thoughts?

i mean pirate warrior loses nothing too but we already have a write up on that i'm pretty sure?

Priest is getting some awesome shit. That tutor card is probably OP.

Pack of my life.

thumbnail_Screenshot_20170401-114908.jpg

Posted (edited)

I've been on a 12 game win streak so far with this Caverns deck.
I like it a lot better than trying to rush the quest. This deck plays a normal game for the most part and eventually will complete the quest. The deck can win from a bunch of different angels.

2 Backstab

2 Shadowstep

2 Fire Fly

2 Southsea Deckhand

2 Stonetusk Boar

2 Swashburgler

2 Gadgetzan Ferryman

2 Novice Engineer

2 Youthful Brewmaster

2 Ingneous Elemental

2 Tar Creeper

2 Tolvir Stoneshaper

2 Servant of Kalinos

I've seen a few people using the Boar/Engineer version but I think this version functions really well. You have a really good mid/late game because of the full elemental package and I honestly complete the quest with strictly the flame elemental that Ingneous and Fire Fly make. It's really not that hard to complete. It's a pretty fun deck!

ps tar creeper has been bonkers in every single deck

Elemental Shaman seems really really good

Edited by Carbon

Posted (edited)

Why no Patches?  I tried out the engineer/shadowcaster list posted on reddit on my way to work this morning and it seemed alright.  I'm playing in the 20's though since I stopped playing last format.

I'll try out your list and compare.  I've heard the list from reddit fares poorly against other aggro decks.  How does this one do vs aggro?

Edit: just realized your list only has 26 cards (and no caverns lol.)  You also mention others use the boar/engineer engine but so do you?  Very confusing.

Edited by Conspire

Patches is in the deck. I just realized there's only 26 in that list. Add 1 patches, 1 edwin, 1 blazecaller and the quest itself. Aggro is aggro but the double Tar Creeper ane double Tolvir actually help in that aspect a lot. 

I've been trying a miracle version with hallucination and razor petals with the ingenous package to randomly complete the quest throughout the game. I don't think the Rogue Quest will end up being the best but there's defiantly a lot of ways to build it which i like.

I feel like the elemental build has potential.  Rogue already has good anti-aggro spells and the elementals have some great anti-aggro power as you mentioned.  You're able to get swarms of the 1/2 guy pretty easily and a 1 mana elemental allows you to kickstart combos or gives you an elemental played for the next turn effects.  I'll definitely experiment more with it and create a new thread for the deck next time I have some comments.

I would suggest testing the Rogue Quest with the Water Package as well. Blue Gill is another good target for charging with Shadow Step and Finja getting a single hit off can sometimes win games on it's own without even needing the quest. I like the Elemental synergy because it's better vs aggro and has a better late game but I'm not sure if the Finja package isn't just better. Randomly winning games is a good quality and with everyone playing stuff like 1 drop quest or fire flys it can kill a lot of whats going on.

interesting meta

from my limited experience it seems quest rogue and pirate warrior are tier 1

tier 2 seems to be quest shaman, quest mage

quest mage isnt as good as the hype , which i expected, its good but not OP broken

the quest hunter seems weak from what i've seen, i'm really surprised but then again im playing vs ppl with retarded builds. The deck should be built as midrange hunter, not 25 1 drops

quest priest seems really weak, seems its too slow for the aggro, but maybe ppl arent building it right

quest warrior is way too slow as expected

i'm not sure what to make of discard warlock, seems so good on paper but I consistently smash it with anything aggro

overall not enjoying the meta that much, feels too much like last format. The speed of pirates and murlocs feels a lot like last format pirates and jade shaman tbh.  rogue quest which is neat though, fairly innovative and pretty damn OP

something that made me smile was playing vs some weird paladin deck with my murloc quest shaman, I actually got and summoned megafin turn 5 thanks to turn 2 summon 2 murlocs into coin finishers into finishers (basically the dream), and my opponent plays a turn 6 Divine Favor 3 mana draw 9 cards lmao. I lost that game, rekt by his cons vs no warleader

im already bored of the new set and it's been like two days lol

im glad hunter is better but it isn't as good as it used to be rip the glory days 

20 minutes ago, Mascis said:

im glad hunter is better but it isn't as good as it used to be rip the glory days 

There's a ton of new and unexplored decks still. Not sure how you could be bored already.

Yeah if you're bored already then it's probably time you just quit playing the game. It sounds like you're just over it. I've been having a lot of fun with the Flower Miracle Rogue.
I ran across some guy playing Stonehill Defender in one of his not warrior decks and it seemed pretty cool. It's a low curve taunt against all the pirates and hunter 1drops and it searches other taunts for later. I've been trying a copy in the Miracle deck and it gives me something to do on the early turns when my hands are all spells and it protects against aggro. It's also discovered me cards like the Poisonous Taunt and Sunwalker etc which come in handy. I'm not sure if it's actually good but it seems to help against all those small minions. It's not very good vs Mage Quest decks but I feel like Mage Quest just needs to brick for them to lose. If they hit all their right cards then It's impossible to beat their time warp combo anyway.

3 hours ago, Mascis said:

If it wasnt for quest rogue, I would say the same thing but quest rogue is a lot of fun bc it can be tweeked in multiple ways and its a fairly innovate combo deck.

Try quest rogue, if you are still bored then Carbon's right, you are prob just bored of the game overall

21 hours ago, Carbon said:

I would suggest testing the Rogue Quest with the Water Package as well. Blue Gill is another good target for charging with Shadow Step and Finja getting a single hit off can sometimes win games on it's own without even needing the quest. I like the Elemental synergy because it's better vs aggro and has a better late game but I'm not sure if the Finja package isn't just better. Randomly winning games is a good quality and with everyone playing stuff like 1 drop quest or fire flys it can kill a lot of whats going on.

Do you think finja is better? I'm thinking the elementals are really strong, I'm gonna try out the 1 mana freeze elemental as well, 1 mana frost elemental seems pretty good

I mean - the set isn't even a week old. As always, the most aggressive decks are usually the first to compete (Pirate and the many variations of rogue). I think once things settle a bit, we will be okay.

People need to learn how to play against Quest Rogue, which is a combo deck.
And there should be plenty of anti-pirate stuff this setfor midrange and control decks to incorporate.

midrange hunter has a great match up vs the majority of the field rn