Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

»Suicidal    267

so i've been borrowing out my account cause i was grinding on LoL , i come back and find a Tirion and an Illidan , just need to xcraft a few more things and i can play that artogosis paladin deck , good times

Nish    253

I dropped an Earth Ele for Sylvanas. Many times I find myself waiting a couple turns on Earth Ele so I can drop my 6s first anyways.

Twilight Drake - Yeah I haven't tried this card since the nerfs. I'll craft it and see how it goes. 

Yeti - I'd honestly rather have the taunt over the 1 attack in this deck. I'm not sure if I have enough early creatures for Defender of Argus and buffing totems is ehhh. 

The 4 attack puts it at the sweet spot where it can't be killed by either shadow word pain or shadow word death which is kinda nice with priest being so popular atm though.

Sylvanas is easily the best legendary.

I don't own her atm so I'm not really the best to judge but I think Ragnaros is just as strong, 8 damage the turn he's played + can avoid taunts + is pretty much immune to silence because then he can attack is really strong. The only issue with Rag is the luck involved in what he shoots at (and I guess Mind Control but every legendary has that issue)

+Paraliel+    8030

Sylvanas is easily the best legendary.

I don't own her atm so I'm not really the best to judge but I think Ragnaros is just as strong, 8 damage the turn he's played + can avoid taunts + is pretty much immune to silence because then he can attack is really strong. The only issue with Rag is the luck involved in what he shoots at (and I guess Mind Control but every legendary has that issue)

Sylvanas just trades so well since your opponent has to deal with it and if she dies to removal she Mind Controls something. She's also a 5/5 for 5 if she gets silenced which is pretty fantastic. Ragnaros is a good legendary but it's not the best.

Nish    253

I rate both cards fairly highly, but I guess Sylvanas fits in more decks. I feel Ragnaros is really strong in control decks because him/Ysera are basically the epitome of lategame power, while Sylvanas being a midgame powerhouse is good in both control and aggro.

»Pharaoh Atem    15768

I'm in.

Help your Pharaoh.

• Upvote 2

+Paraliel+    8030

I guess I should post this now for anyone looking to get a grasp on the meta-game as well since the Open Beta starts extremely soon.

At the start of the Hearthstone experience, Rogue was considered the penultimate best deck and could not be beaten at the highest level. That was quickly changed by Blizzard by nerfing its key cards and its hero ability and the deck was quickly abandoned and the meta shifted to a more control oriented meta with some aggro decks mixed in.

The meta then consisted of:

- Murgrlurglglgl Warlock (Murlock Warlock Aggression) which consisted of slamming Murloc cards on the field and rushing for the win. Warlock was generally best due to the Hero Power which allows you to draw the pieces of your aggression deck much faster.

- Priest Control, i.e. the best deck for a while. This deck put value creatures on the board and controlled the board with removal such as Shadow Word: Pain (remove any monster with 3 Attack or lower), Shadow Word: Death (remove any monster with 5 Attack or lower), Mind Control (take control of one enemy creature) and Holy Nova (deal 2 damage to all enemy creatures and heal all friendly targets for 2).

- Mage Control/Mage Burn, 2nd best deck for a while. This deck works almost the same as Priest except substitute its removal cards for other removal cards and the ability to suddenly rip the game out of your opponents hands with cards like Fireball and Pyroblast and Polymorph.

- Hunter Aggression (aka the deck that won the first TLOpen). This deck consists of hitting your opponent every turn with Steady Shot and removing monsters on the board with your removal cards such as Kill Command and Explosive Trap and more and then putting tons of low mana beasts on the field on a late turn and playing Release the Hounds (Give all Beast creatures +1/+1 and Charge) and then pushing for the kill. This deck was popularized by ChanMan and became a big contender.

Throughout this metagame, many realized Priest to be the best deck but saw that one of its primary weaknesses was that Priest could not deal with creatures with 4 HP. So people scrambled to find a deck that could viably aggressively attack Priest and other decks and also put creatures on the board that could play through removal. This is when Paladin Aggro was created as they could run cards like Shattered Sun Cleric and Defender of Argus to boost their creatures and they also played a lot of 4 HP monsters.

The next big tournament to happen was the Hearthstone Innkeeper's Invitational at Blizzcon. Artosis, a SC2 Caster (former professional player) ended up winning this tournament and gave huge credit to his Paladin deck and also promoted the strong usage of the three core legendaries (Sylvanas Windrunner, Ragnaros the Firelord, and Ysera). These are cards that can generally be thrown in every deck for maximum value.

At Blizzcon it was also announced that they would be making some quality of life changes by changing Mind Control from 8 mana to 10 mana (making it a much worse card) and changing Release the Hounds in a way which has not been revealed. The metagame has shifted since to a more aggresive metagame and the metagame continues to evolve fast as we reach Open Beta.

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    8030

Note my above post doesn't mention things like Overload Shaman or Removal Druid or Demon PureLock or any decks such as these as the metagame is changing swiftly and I haven't played them enough to give good thoughts on them.

+Paraliel+    8030

-1 Big Game Hunter

+1 Tracking

Forgot to fix that before I took the screenshot.

+Paraliel+    8030

So how do I download this game?

In like 3 weeks, the game will be open to the public through an Open Beta. The only way to play the game as of now is via Closed Beta Invitation which you apply for at www.battle.net which is Blizzard's main site. I advise anyone who wishes to play the game to make an account there as that is where you will play the game through in the future.

»Pharaoh Atem    15768

That synopsis seems to be missing a few details

the Shadow Word spells work off of ATK values, not HP values

That said, I feel like when I play Priest I can sit on Northshire Cleric FOREVER

Playing Mage is enjoyable - I like the ability to just throw massive direct damage at the opponent on a mere whim - but the HARD part in that is how seldom my hand size stays healthy. It's to the point where if Fireball/Missles shows up early, I'm almost forced to hold them back 300 million years until enough Spell Damage boosters are around

• Upvote 1

Axle    1217

dt5pLTT.png

The deck I've been playing.

Yeti doesn't really have a purpose in this deck other than something to throw on the field to creature fake aggression and stall you a turn. I myself was trying to remove cards like that from my deck (to no luck, I'm just settling with T-Drakes for now). If you really want stall then just play more removal. It's not even like Tiger which is almost guaranteed 5 damage (and a beast). It's better to max out owl over it. Like you said, people are running Defender of Argus now. He puts up two taunts and you'll want more ways to deal with them. Consistency of the combo over throw away cards imo. 

Not saying the card is bad, it just seems like the most replaceable card in the deck when room is needed (which I think it is).

+Paraliel+    8030

That synopsis seems to be missing a few details

the Shadow Word spells work off of ATK values, not HP values

That said, I feel like when I play Priest I can sit on Northshire Cleric FOREVER

Playing Mage is enjoyable - I like the ability to just throw massive direct damage at the opponent on a mere whim - but the HARD part in that is how seldom my hand size stays healthy. It's to the point where if Fireball/Missles shows up early, I'm almost forced to hold them back 300 million years until enough Spell Damage boosters are around

The Shadow Word spell was my bad, sorry! x.x

Northshire Cleric is definitely a good card but is prone to fast removal which a lot of decks can run nowadays thus dropping it early isn't as efficient to get mileage out of the card.

Mage is good for being able to just throw out spells whenever and dealing with whatever threat appears.

Axle    1217

Okay this is getting kinda annoying. You haven't said anything original yet and have just been paraphrasing things from articles and you post netdecks without discussing them other than to yourself.

+Paraliel+    8030

Okay this is getting kinda annoying. You haven't said anything original yet and have just been paraphrasing things from articles and you post netdecks without discussing them other than to yourself.

Um, okay. I don't even read any articles on this game only things I've even watched that are coverage is the Innkeeper's Invitational and Day9 videos because I find them funny. I post netdecks without discussing them lol ok. If you have a problem with netdecking I think you're on the wrong forum Axle and you should know better than that.

+Paraliel+    8030

Sorry for posting in a dead forum to try to help people by catching them up. You showed me!!!!

+Paraliel+    8030

dt5pLTT.png

The deck I've been playing.

Yeti doesn't really have a purpose in this deck other than something to throw on the field to creature fake aggression and stall you a turn. I myself was trying to remove cards like that from my deck (to no luck, I'm just settling with T-Drakes for now). If you really want stall then just play more removal. It's not even like Tiger which is almost guaranteed 5 damage (and a beast). It's better to max out owl over it. Like you said, people are running Defender of Argus now. He puts up two taunts and you'll want more ways to deal with them. Consistency of the combo over throw away cards imo. 

Not saying the card is bad, it just seems like the most replaceable card in the deck when room is needed (which I think it is).

Yeti is a card to mask what you are doing and is also just an extremely good creature that you can throw on the board to deal with threats. Owl is good, but silence isn't your only out to taunts. There, something original? I didn't think this was hard to conceive as thought and didn't require me posting.

Axle    1217

No. Cards like that have no place in constructed and decks with a huge list of very strong class cards shouldn't play them. "Mask what you're doing".  The hell does that even mean? You play it because you expect your opponents to be blind? Of course a hunter deck is UTH, it would be a free win if they weren't. Owl would let you continue drawing off buzzard while disabling a taunt and without wasting mana on something that isn't a creature for UTH. 

Day9 doesn't play Hearthstone, don't use him as a model. Innkeeper was also just eight players that didn't do anything like being top ranked or qualifying or placing consistently in an open swiss. All they did was be famous to get that invitation. That tournament literally means nothing.

As an example: Hafu is just an arena player who hates constructed, Day9 doesn't play and Husky doesn't play either.

+Paraliel+    8030

No. Cards like that have no place in constructed and decks with a huge list of very strong class cards shouldn't play them.

Your argument was that Owl is better than Yeti. I responded. You responded with no. Great argument there, real productive. Why should I take your advice at face value? I have no reason to, so actually give a legitimate argument.

Nish    253

Have to agree with Axle here, don't really see the purpose of using Yeti for "masking what you're doing" because any good player is going to be expecting UTH at some point during the game anyway - I've not come across anyone running hunter who wasn't running the combo (because you pretty much auto win with it if you survive till turn 7-8)

I'd rather run so many things over Yeti, especially another Owl for the reasons Axle mentioned. Also would consider another Dire Wolf, or maybe another Multi-Shot before considering Yeti. Don't get me wrong, Yeti is one of the strongest cards in the meta right now but it just doesn't fit into a combo deck when it doesn't really keep you alive till you get your combo, or help you get your combo and it's not even a beast.

+Paraliel+    8030

You're actually just throwing random variables into the mixture. If you are throwing Buzzard on the field and not tons of other beast cards, you are actually strictly an idiot. I am usually holding Buzzard until I can make good plays (kill pushes for example). I can't actually take you seriously if you don't understand what masking what you are doing means. Like it's a core concept of CCGs to try to feed your opponent misinformation at points to get them to play how you want them to.

Am I arguing that Owl is a bad card? No.

Am I arguing Yeti is better for the situations I am discussing? Yes.