Nish

Hearthstone Random Talk Thread

Azn_Boy    378

Getting stuck at around lv15 with my basic deck

How high could I feasibly climb? It's getting to the point where everyone I play clearly has a superior card pool (inc. legendaries) which feels like it's lost me some games, though obviously I'm not a perfect player

Watch Trump's videos of him playing on the ladder as he specializes with f2p decks. He's gotten to legendary a couple times with them.

PROlinho    318

If you want to climb fast without having  a lot of cards Zoo is probably the best choice.

packdaddy    737

If you want to climb fast without having  a lot of cards Zoo is probably the best choice.

hunter is also relatively cheap i would say

The chosen Juan    1379

Kolento's deck costs about 900 dust, IIRC. You could use that.

Auri posted it itt before.

packdaddy    737

Just pulled Cenarius. Finally a good legendary. Been a while. Up to 815 dust off extra dust alone, just going to stockpile until I can craft a legendary.

On the list: Alexstrasza, The Black Knight, Lord Jaraxxus, Malygos, Al Akir

Can someone explain why pagle and tinkmaster got disregarded? I mean I even haven't understood the tink nerf but aren't they still viable?

+Urthor    10227

Tink and Pagle are really really bad both when they're used against a metagame dominated by Zoo and Hunter, and they were unplayable IN hunter pre nerf, largely because hey deadly shot and hunters mark exist, and well pagle is just shit in hunter.  Neither of those cards are good at all vs those decks, Tink and Pagle were from back when druid dominated the metagame

Plus like, they got nerfed n shit.  

Tink and Pagle are really really bad both when they're used against a metagame dominated by Zoo and Hunter, and they were unplayable IN hunter pre nerf, largely because hey deadly shot and hunters mark exist, and well pagle is just shit in hunter.  Neither of those cards are good at all vs those decks, Tink and Pagle were from back when druid dominated the metagame

Plus like, they got nerfed n shit.  

Thanks for the explanation never put the metagame into the equasion.

+Urthor    10227

IMO if they un-nerfed Pagle/Tink tomorrow, it acutally wouldn't make THAT big of a difference.  Tink would be sorta liek a Harrison Jones and Pagle would just be awkward.

I think you're just underestimating just how bad Tink actually is post nerf, and pagle is SUPER irrelevant in the current metagame equation

Doesn't matter tho Hunter2stronk

packdaddy    737

IMO if they un-nerfed Pagle/Tink tomorrow, it acutally wouldn't make THAT big of a difference.  Tink would be sorta liek a Harrison Jones and Pagle would just be awkward.

I think you're just underestimating just how bad Tink actually is post nerf, and pagle is SUPER irrelevant in the current metagame equation

tink prenerf was retarded good lol youre underestimating its power, a lot

Elements    569

Mid ranged hunter or zoo for attempting to rank to legend? Sitting on 12 atm after spending a day a few weeks back getting from 25 to 10 but then i hit the otk hunters and dropped a few ranks. Looking to see how far i can get before the reset so any advice is appreciated. xx

Azn_Boy    378

Hunter, but get ready for a shit ton of mirror matches.

+Urthor    10227

tink prenerf was retarded good lol youre underestimating its power, a lot

well in general Eric disagreeing with someone more or less indicates they're right but I'll take it from there

look at what Tink's role in this metagame would be, hunter best.dek therefore put tinkmaster in everything???

Tink was really bad for the game don't disagree, but it wouldn't be playable in a lot of decks right this second

• Upvote 1

»BoraxTheLean    7119

Mid ranged hunter or zoo for attempting to rank to legend? Sitting on 12 atm after spending a day a few weeks back getting from 25 to 10 but then i hit the otk hunters and dropped a few ranks. Looking to see how far i can get before the reset so any advice is appreciated. xx

HUNTER

JESUS CHRIST HUNTER

DO NOT ZOO

aurirevoir    2868
got to rank 3 with zoo fwiw, that was before midrange hunter was the new fad

Can somone explain how kolento's midrange hunter deck is good? I am playing it got stuck in 7-8 because people simply play better cards and dire wolf/ river crocolisk is subpar vs something like druid of claw I am probably doing something wrong though that midrange hunter shouldn't be too much of a problem to anyone with a decent card arsenal.

Azn_Boy    378

Can somone explain how kolento's midrange hunter deck is good? I am playing it got stuck in 7-8 because people simply play better cards and dire wolf/ river crocolisk is subpar vs something like druid of claw I am probably doing something wrong though that midrange hunter shouldn't be too much of a problem to anyone with a decent card arsenal.

t2/3 Animal Companions, wombo combo, best 6 drop in the game, and hero power gives the deck inevitability.

Houdmaster, Hunter's Mark, and Owl are ways to help deal with big taunts.

DaveS    227

I've laddered to Rank 2 with the deck so far.

I personally feel Dire Wolf was pretty subpar against everything but Zoo, and even then it was lackluster. You just don't really have really optimal times to get value out of it's effect.

River Croc is one of the weaker pieces in the deck, but it's necessary to have a smoother curve. Although its stats aren't the best, it still does its of job of keeping you in the game. Why you play it over Bloodfen Raptor is simply because comboing it with Houndmaster makes the card really strong, being able to have a 4/5 Yeti w/ Taunt and a 4/3 is really powerful.

Despite what a lot of less experienced players think, it's one of the harder decks to play in the Meta right now. If you really want to be successful with the deck, you need to be playing out your turns perfectly to have maximum success. This point is consistently being pushed by a lot of top players (Reynad, Kolento, Savjz) and it has some proof in the fact that these top players get great success out of the deck.

One of the major upsides to the deck, if not the deck's biggest advantage, is the fact that you're opponent simply can never commit more than 2 creatures to the deck. This is down to the fact that they will normally get completely blown out of the game via UTH+Buzzards if they do. This is always a great advantage to a player, as you can play your deck to it's full potential at all times, where as your opponent is limiting their options a lot of the times just so they don't lose the game. This allows the Hunter deck to build up it's momentum as majority of the time, there is only a certain amount of pressure they can put on you with two midgame minions.

On top of that, the deck has access to easily the best card in the game, Tracking. This card is absurd, as it allows you to dig 3 cards deeper into your deck, and majority of the time pick up the perfect card for the particular situation/matchup you are facing i.e. Deadly Shot/Ironbeak Owl vs Ramp Druid.

The proper way to play this deck is as a reactive deck. A lot of the time, you only play cards in response to what your opponent plays i.e Stampeding Kodo in response to a 2 or lower attack minion, Buzzard + UTH when they fill up the board etc. There are only 6 cards in the deck that you play out on their own (2 Animal Companion, 2 River Croc, 2 Savanagh Highmane) You never really want to drop a Stampeding Kodo or Scavenging Hyena on an empty board, for example. You generally save them for when you can get maximum value. As a result of this, some turns simply result in you just using hero ability or cycling cards via Tracking and Flare.

However, there are still scenarios in which playing a Stampeding Kodo or Houndmaster without its battlecry is correct. This, in my opinion, is the hardest thing to gauge with the deck, and is what holds back weaker players. Making plays like this are something you pick up over time, and something you only learn with practice.

Another thing I see people doing wrong with the deck is playing UTH + Buzzard at the wrong times. Sometimes I see people dropping it at 4 Mana when your opponent has just 2 creatures on the board, yet they may still have other options in hand. Even if they didn't have other options in hand, sometimes it's correct to just Hero Ability and pass for potential extra value off Buzzard. A lot of the time, your opponent can keep up with a Buzzard + Hounds for two draws, where as 3 draws can simply turn the game completely in your favour. Another thing to consider, is what you may possibly draw off your Buzzard. If you potentially draw into a Hunter's Mark + Timber Wolf, will it help to wait to 5 Mana for a more efficient board clear? These are things you have to be constantly considering when playing the deck. You must also consider what deck you are facing: If I let this deck hit me in the face next turn, will they snowball too much advantage? I.e Zoo or can I afford to let them hit me again as their deck does not push out that much pressure early game i.e Warrior.

Another thing to always consider is that you can combo UTH + Buzzard + Leeroy for guaranteed 2 draws, 95% of the time 3. (This is one of the most unfair things your deck can do) Even when they don't commit to the board, you can simply wait until 8 mana to make this huge combo which will usually net you 3 cards, a complete board clear, and a 6/2 charger they must answer instantly.

When mulliganing with the deck, you generally want your early game stuff like River Croc and Animal Companion, aswell as a Tracking/Flare if possible to have a nice turn 1 play to thin your deck. However, you must consider what matchup you are facing:

Versus Druid, I tend to keep Deadly Shot, as right now on ladder Ramp Druid is the most popular deck at my level, and this card is simply a blowout versus the deck i.e Deadly Shot on an Ancient of War.

Versus Warrior, you would want to keep a Savanagh Highmane in your hand, as it's one of the best cards in the matchup. They have very literal answers to the card, and usually have to trade 2, even 3 cards to clear it.

Against Zoo, you must aggressively mulligan for your early game, and even your UTH, as you will outright lose the matchup without these cards early on.

I hope what i've explained gives you a better understanding of how to play the deck. If there is anything you feel you still do not understand, feel free to ask.

• Upvote 6

I've laddered to Rank 2 with the deck so far.

I personally feel Dire Wolf was pretty subpar against everything but Zoo, and even then it was lackluster. You just don't really have really optimal times to get value out of it's effect.

River Croc is one of the weaker pieces in the deck, but it's necessary to have a smoother curve. Although its stats aren't the best, it still does its of job of keeping you in the game. Why you play it over Bloodfen Raptor is simply because comboing it with Houndmaster makes the card really strong, being able to have a 4/5 Yeti w/ Taunt and a 4/3 is really powerful.

Despite what a lot of less experienced players think, it's one of the harder decks to play in the Meta right now. If you really want to be successful with the deck, you need to be playing out your turns perfectly to have maximum success. This point is consistently being pushed by a lot of top players (Reynad, Kolento, Savjz) and it has some proof in the fact that these top players get great success out of the deck.

One of the major upsides to the deck, if not the deck's biggest advantage, is the fact that you're opponent simply can never commit more than 2 creatures to the deck. This is down to the fact that they will normally get completely blown out of the game via UTH+Buzzards if they do. This is always a great advantage to a player, as you can play your deck to it's full potential at all times, where as your opponent is limiting their options a lot of the times just so they don't lose the game. This allows the Hunter deck to build up it's momentum as majority of the time, there is only a certain amount of pressure they can put on you with two midgame minions.

On top of that, the deck has access to easily the best card in the game, Tracking. This card is absurd, as it allows you to dig 3 cards deeper into your deck, and majority of the time pick up the perfect card for the particular situation/matchup you are facing i.e. Deadly Shot/Ironbeak Owl vs Ramp Druid.

The proper way to play this deck is as a reactive deck. A lot of the time, you only play cards in response to what your opponent plays i.e Stampeding Kodo in response to a 2 or lower attack minion, Buzzard + UTH when they fill up the board etc. There are only 6 cards in the deck that you play out on their own (2 Animal Companion, 2 River Croc, 2 Savanagh Highmane) You never really want to drop a Stampeding Kodo or Scavenging Hyena on an empty board, for example. You generally save them for when you can get maximum value. As a result of this, some turns simply result in you just using hero ability or cycling cards via Tracking and Flare.

However, there are still scenarios in which playing a Stampeding Kodo or Houndmaster without its battlecry is correct. This, in my opinion, is the hardest thing to gauge with the deck, and is what holds back weaker players. Making plays like this are something you pick up over time, and something you only learn with practice.

Another thing I see people doing wrong with the deck is playing UTH + Buzzard at the wrong times. Sometimes I see people dropping it at 4 Mana when your opponent has just 2 creatures on the board, yet they may still have other options in hand. Even if they didn't have other options in hand, sometimes it's correct to just Hero Ability and pass for potential extra value off Buzzard. A lot of the time, your opponent can keep up with a Buzzard + Hounds for two draws, where as 3 draws can simply turn the game completely in your favour. Another thing to consider, is what you may possibly draw off your Buzzard. If you potentially draw into a Hunter's Mark + Timber Wolf, will it help to wait to 5 Mana for a more efficient board clear? These are things you have to be constantly considering when playing the deck. You must also consider what deck you are facing: If I let this deck hit me in the face next turn, will they snowball too much advantage? I.e Zoo or can I afford to let them hit me again as their deck does not push out that much pressure early game i.e Warrior.

Another thing to always consider is that you can combo UTH + Buzzard + Leeroy for guaranteed 2 draws, 95% of the time 3. (This is one of the most unfair things your deck can do) Even when they don't commit to the board, you can simply wait until 8 mana to make this huge combo which will usually net you 3 cards, a complete board clear, and a 6/2 charger they must answer instantly.

When mulliganing with the deck, you generally want your early game stuff like River Croc and Animal Companion, aswell as a Tracking/Flare if possible to have a nice turn 1 play to thin your deck. However, you must consider what matchup you are facing:

Versus Druid, I tend to keep Deadly Shot, as right now on ladder Ramp Druid is the most popular deck at my level, and this card is simply a blowout versus the deck i.e Deadly Shot on an Ancient of War.

Versus Warrior, you would want to keep a Savanagh Highmane in your hand, as it's one of the best cards in the matchup. They have very literal answers to the card, and usually have to trade 2, even 3 cards to clear it.

Against Zoo, you must aggressively mulligan for your early game, and even your UTH, as you will outright lose the matchup without these cards early on.

I hope what i've explained gives you a better understanding of how to play the deck. If there is anything you feel you still do not understand, feel free to ask.

Thanks man yeah I feel like I am not making the correct plays. However, each game seems like a stall type in which I am hoping to draw the buzzard UTH combo which is really annoying since without them the game seems more leaned in their favor. Please tell me your opinions about UTH buzzard and their impact on your games(have you found a way to consistently win without them) but it was a great read and I realised I have a lot to improve guess I will just watch the streams/playtest more often. Also correct me if I am wrong but kolento version doesn't play Leeroy neither I do since legendaries are out of my budget, how is Leeroy impacting your results? Do you think its a must?

»BoraxTheLean    7119

got to rank 3 with zoo fwiw, that was before midrange hunter was the new fad

I've gotten rank 1 and 5 stars many times with zoo for what it is worth.

But there is so much rogue and mad bomberness and randomness it isn't worth playing.

aurirevoir    2868

Got another 12-win run, 12-1 this time which is my best record so far.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_4282014025102_zps
Hearthstone_Screenshot_4282014030441_zps

The low cost cards in the deck were claw, abusive sargeant, amani berserker, and wrath. basic goal of the deck was just to survive until turn 7 lol. I've been running pretty well on $10; I've earned nine extra arena runs so far and I still have one paid run to use. sure it takes time but it sure beats out buying packs.

run 1: 4-3 druid, 65 gold, 120 dust in pack

run 2: 10-3 pally, 175 gold, 90 dust golden explosive trap, pack was a 40 duster

(free) run 3: 3-3 rogue (first time playing the class in arena), 25 gold rando common 100 dust pack

run 4: 9-3 druid, 285 gold and a 40 dust pack

(free) run 5: 4-3 shaman, 85 gold and a 55 dust pack

(free) run 6: 5-3 mage, 50 gold, 55 dust, 40 dust pack

(free) run 7: 10-3 rogue, 180 gold, 85 dust, gold angry chicken qwertyasdf, 135 dust pack

(free) run 8: 9-3 shaman, 155 gold, 70 dust, 40 dust pack

(free) run 9: 2-3 paladin, 45 dust, 135 dust pack

run 10: 12-1 druid, 335 gold, rando golden rare, 55 dust pack

(free) run 11: 8-3 mage, 210 gold, 40 dust pack

(free) run 12: 3-3 druid, 55 gold, 55 dust pack

(free) run 13: 6-3 paladin, 130 gold, 40 dust pack

(free) run 14: 9-3 rogue, 245 gold, 25 dust, 35 dust pack + golden harvest golem

(free) run 15:

(free) run 16:

(free) run 17:

currently at 1995 gold (13 free arena runs) out of four paid runs

• Upvote 1

Started playing a few days ago and put some money into the game to build malygod. So far climbed to Rank 8, haven't lost many games at all playing the deck. If you understand fundamentals of card gaming this game is quite simple, but I am waiting for something to come out. Mainly just been having issues with mid-range hunter and aggro mage but people say they haven't had too many issues with them, so maybe I need to change a few cards in my deck to suit the matchups because they seem to be popular around this rank.

What deck is everyone playing in constructed at the moment? Zoo seems to be talked about in this thread a lot.