Kirolos

Regarding The Wave of New Members

Kirolos    3394

To preface this I know that I'm not the most seasoned DGzer, and that it may be a bit hypocritical for me to a address something like this but I'd really like to get some more opinions/feedback on this suggestion.

Like a lot of you have seen with the decline of DNF, DGz has been getting a lot of new members, and naturally, new members tend to make intro threads. This isn't the problem as even if the member or thread starts off on the wrong foot, it gives them a taste of DGz's tough-love attitude and what is expected. That's perfectly fine, the thing that is grinding my gears is when members that have been here for like 2 hours, and have like 11 posts, start welcoming other new members and even going as far as telling them to

"lurk"...

[spoiler]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/spoiler]

Almost all the welcome threads that have been made recently are following this trend and I think its kind of ridiculous.

Now I have like 0 experience with forum programming or anything, but maybe there could be like a post threshold of like, let's say 250, for a member to be able to post in a welcome thread other than their own.

Again, I really don't have any right to be complaining about "new members" seeing as that I am one, but I just wanted to get it off my chest lol

• Upvote 39
  • Downvote 2

»Draigun    6837

Looks like OP is fitting in really well here...

• Upvote 12

+Urthor    10235

There's plenty of restrictions on new members being thrown around, at one point banning new members from making threads before x number of posts to stop shitty deck garage threads, the latest being after you register you have to have a one day period of cool down for enforced lurking.

Right now I'm tempted to say that any warning if you have under 100 posts should mean your posting is restricted to encourage the much loved practice of lurking.

But at the end of the day what's the point of putting on restrictions that would block good newbs as well as bad ones.  If people are going to come here and form a shitty DNF clique then we should moderate the people behind the posts not just the arbitrary restrictions on their posting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Zet    385

I literally came in expecting more yugi-strips.

• Upvote 1

woof gong    226

Agreed on the general concept that it is annoying.

As a new member myself I am unfortunately guilty of doing this. I sorely regretted it after seeing other new guys doing it and seeing how much you look like a complete faggot. Though at least I only made a shitty joke in an intro thread rather than "welcome to dgz, we are a great community here I should know its been 12 days"

Enforced restrictions are a bit Fascist though, just neg or let an old member rip them like I got ripped when I did it. 

• Upvote 2

VantageSP    116

Seems like a "bandage" solution to me. There are mods for a reason. It appears they've already handled them well enough. Simply blocking users from posting will discourage them a bit. If they are truly serious about being a good contributing member to DGz they will actually take the time to read the rules and study the culture. If they don't and just make an intro threads cause they are bored... trust me they won't be here for long. The good members will make an effort to stay, while the ones who signed up out of boredom will leave after being hammered with -54 rep in 30 min and insult after insult by veteran members. Trust me I've seen the reactions of the DNFers who joined recently and they were pretty shaken up. DGz was a huge culture shock for them and that barrier alone will most likely prevent them from coming back. TBH, deal with the stupid intro posts cause that user will most likely not come back. If they stay, a mod can just handle them as they please. Now as for the "lurk more" phenomenon by new users, that is simply an act of them trying to "fit in" and differentiate themselves from the topic poster. I'm a bit guilty myself, but honestly I was just embarrassed as to what our members were doing. I'm rather new here myself, however I did join over a year ago. I just recently started posting though. 

Bundy    77

Yeah note to myself and others who are new here,

- Do not welcome or tell new members to lurk.

Had to learn that the hard way.

• Downvote 12

+rei+    35053

To preface this I know that I'm not the most seasoned DGzer, and that it may be a bit hypocritical for me to a address something like this but I'd really like to get some more opinions/feedback on this suggestion.

Like a lot of you have seen with the decline of DNF, DGz has been getting a lot of new members, and naturally, new members tend to make intro threads. This isn't the problem as even if the member or thread starts off on the wrong foot, it gives them a taste of DGz's tough-love attitude and what is expected. That's perfectly fine, the thing that is grinding my gears is when members that have been here for like 2 hours, and have like 11 posts, start welcoming other new members and even going as far as telling them to

"lurk"...

[spoiler]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/spoiler]

Almost all the welcome threads that have been made recently are following this trend and I think its kind of ridiculous.

Now I have like 0 experience with forum programming or anything, but maybe there could be like a post threshold of like, let's say 250, for a member to be able to post in a welcome thread other than their own.

Again, I really don't have any right to be complaining about "new members" seeing as that I am one, but I just wanted to get it off my chest lol

I dont like mandatory posting restrictions at all. People can lurk without registering, and not everyone is a failure. I like your idea better than the idiots in the staff forum saying "oh ban new members from posting a week/a month/whatever" but really i think this needs to be community enforced better. Maybe people who aren't scumbags should come into the welcome forum more often and actually post level posts calling shit out. I've had two people complain to me privately about idiots welcoming but really you could always tell them instead of me 

Kyary    2424

The whole reason why you're getting dinged for that is because you're new and you seem like an elitist prick by telling other new members to lurk.  You need to follow the advice that's given to you and just see how the flow of things goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kyary    2424

Requesting ban on bundy for being a massive faggot.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Bundy    77

bundy, stop being a negfaggot cuz you are butthurt. are you gonna negstalk? cuz it seems you are neggin everyone that told you to lurk or stop being an ass.
i bet you are gonna neg this too

rofl bundy, are you so anal devasted to the point where you have to neg every single of my post?

stop being a faggot and deal w it

Fuck off

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 21

Chris Buraseru    10480

my naem is bundy i have a colonel.exe avater even though a faggot like me is undeserving to use such a badass character bwuuuuuh qq

No seriously. You need to slink back to DNF or w/e location faggots like you crawl out of. You are an eyesore.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

rofl bundy, are you so anal devasted to the point where you have to neg every single of my post?

stop being a faggot and deal w it

dig, I've already fixed this issue for you. If you're going to keep provoking members, no one is going to help you next time.

• Upvote 4

Nate1080    1246

I come to DGz to avoid the retarded bullshit of the other YGO forums, now said bullshit is coming here. Who in the world told all of these idiots about DGz?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

brotacular7    1574

The whole reason why you're getting dinged for that is because you're new and you seem like an elitist prick by telling other new members to lurk.  You need to follow the advice that's given to you and just see how the flow of things goes.

yes dgz despises elitists

• Upvote 2

»CheyMcFly    4637
Stupid phone meant to neg him. Well luckily dnf has stopped going down and the new wave of members has seemed to decrease.

»Barron    7990

lurk more fag

[spoiler]

steve-austin.gif

[spoiler]

570%20-%20gif%20shane_mcmahon%20stone_co

Lurk more for 30 days.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 2