MZAAZM

HEX MMO Trading Card Game

273 posts in this topic

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

"From the creators of the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, HEX is a TCG / MMO that combines the best of both for your PC & MAC"

"- The most aggressive ORGANIZED PLAY infrastructure ever offered for a digital TCG

With dozens of daily tournaments, on demand 8-player drafts and (potentially) REAL CASH prizes, HEX is poised to be the definitive professional online TCG.

Come tournament time, test your mettle in limited (sealed and booster) and constructed tournaments, where the winner is determined by skill and daring, not by PVE-enhanced cards."

This looks pretty awesome

I saw this last week and thought it had promise. 

This is one of those games that has so much potential to be great.

Hope they dont fuck it up

I hate the fundamental game design, this is too close to your typical M:TG clone for comfort.

I do like some of the ideas behind it, especially this one [quote]SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play… with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card- SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play… with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card[/quote]

Overall though, I'm very pessimistic of the final result of the game. Digital Booster Packs? Just groan. It in all honestly seems to me like M:TG #65483473 and some novelties that'll probably wear off. 

looking pretty good from the updates so far

Hearthstone has just as much potential. I have no idea why people aren't hyped about it on this site. A fucking card game site. Regardless, I will probably play both games. 

Hearthstone has just as much potential. I have no idea why people aren't hyped about it on this site. A fucking card game site. Regardless, I will probably play both games. 

Both games are bullshit anyway (if I understand correctly about what hearthstone is) and will only hold back this market and have it grow stale. 

Are you serious? I can list so many things new that Hearthstone brings to TCGs. I'll probably create a thread on it in a bit. It didn't get a proper thread before, just a shitty one in video games. 

-Entirely digital. This means card nerfs and buffs are easy as hell and infinite mechanic potential that's not held back by paper card games. For example, there is a card that forces all minions on the board to fight it out, and one randomly will survive. There is a card that takes a random copy of a dooder in your opponent's deck and clones it to your side of the field. There is a card that can select 2 random "beast" cards from your deck and add it to your hand.

Specific random from the deck is not possible in other card games without it taking a very long time and forcing you to remove all copies and shuffle, then reveal.

- Very nice looking effects shown when cards resolve. Such as the "brawl" card where all creatures are sucked in the middle of the screen and a smoke cloud surrounds them indicating a brawl and one survives. 

-Mana is entirely digital too and not a card. This meaning no land overflows or droughts. 

-Because it is digital, the game can get away with health not regenerating at the end of a turn. Something all card games do because of poor player memory. This also alllows cards that add +2/+2 to be more viable, or cards that only tick for low damage to be less situational.

-The ability to play entirely free, and if not a far cheaper price than MTGO. Basically the pricing is similar to League of Legends. You can only have 2 copies of a card per deck, only 1 copy of each "legendary" card. Packs only cost $1. You can also CRAFT cards that  you want out of cards you don't need. No having to get 4 copies of $30 cards here. The game is an incredible amount cheaper than any other card game to play. To be truthful I am not entirely sure how F2P the game will be, but it sounds good from what they've said. I don't understand your complaint about digital booster packs in the slightest. They are not physical, which means there are less cost to create them and they can be priced lower. 

What we know on how to get cards: 

[spoiler]

Players will earn their first set of cards as soon as they start playing Hearthstone, and certain game modes and features will award additional cards through gameplay.Here are the different ways to get cards:

• • Practice Mode: Play against A.I. opponents representing different classes to unlock new heroes and basic cards.

• Play Mode: By participating in traditional head-to-head matches, players have a chance to win card packs.

• The Forge: Build a deck by selecting one card from each of a series of randomized card choices, and then play against other Forge participants. The cards you pick to build your deck are yours to keep—play well enough, and you could win even more. Note that you must trade in a certain number of card packs to participate in The Forge (further details to be announced later).

• Crafting: Disenchant expert cards in your collection to receive arcane dust, and then use your collected dust to craft other cards of your choosing. Basic cards cannot be disenchanted.

• Card Packs: Purchase card packs containing five random cards using your Battle.net Balance or a variety of supported payment methods. One of the cards will always be of “rare” rarity or greater; in some cases, you may find that one or more additional cards has also “upgraded” to a higher tier of rarity.

• Achievements: Certain achievements in the game may grant additional cards.

[/spoiler]

- There is a built in draft mode called "The Forge" that rewards you with better cards than just opening packs if you do well in it.

- Land specific carding is replaced with class specific cards. However generic cards are still very powerful and can be put in any deck, similar to YGO. 

- Cards that are not part of your deck can be added to your hand easily and infinitely. There is a card that adds 2 "bananas" to your opponents hands, a card that adds "dream cards" to your hand, and a card that adds "fireball" to your hand. 

- Game is not entirely spell speed 1. There are trap cards you can put down and they all cost the same based on the class. Therefore it is never given away by how much mana you lose.

-You the character are your own minion. You have attack, health and defense and each class has it's own unique ability it can use once every turn at a low mana cost. This can be boosted with equipment spells that give you various effects and sometimes new abilities entirely. You the player (and all creatures) can attack other creatures, but you can also go straight for the enemy player unless the opponent has something with taunt on the board. Taunt is rather common among all decks though. 

-Games are very back and forth. Many tempo shifting cards. There is also summoning sickness to give you time to react to the swarms. 

Individual class playstyles:
The Druid  is a ramp deck, with cards that increase your mana for a turn or permanently (like Farseek). Can be played midrange or swarm. I think he's also the only class right now with cards that give you the option to choose one of multiple abilities, similar to charms in MTG.  

The Rogue is a combo deck filled with low ramp cards. Many of the cards have the "combo" clause that increase in power based on if you've played cards before it that turn. Also has a lot of self powering up equipment cards.

The Mage is a control deck to the core, focusing on spell damage . There are abilities such as "spell power +1, +2 or +5 that increase the effect of your spells by that number (ex: fireball does 5 more damage). They have many board wipes and an ace card that puts a "fireball" into your hand whenever you cast something. Has some cool secrets (Counterspell!). Decent creature disruption too, like Polymorph.

The Priest is capable of strong healing, but also has many opponent creature stealing such as mind control and the card that steals from their deck. 

The Warlock thrives in battle by harming itself. They are capable of getting huge creatures at low mana costs but in exchange must discard cards or lose life. Their ace is Jaraxxus which destroys the Warlock hero and replaces him. Jaraxxus has 15 health (no matter how much health you had, so often used when almost dead!), deals 3 damage for hero attacks and his abilitity creates a 6/6 inferno. 

The Hunter is a secret (aka trap card) heavy deck that focuses on disrupting the opponent during their turn and powering up their beasts. Traps can freeze enemies, deal damage to them when played, create creatures out of nowhere, and more.  

The Paladin focuses on keeping minions alive by giving them shields that absorb damage.  Not many cards of him are shown yet.

The Shaman uses his hero ability to summon a random totem to aid his creatures. He also focuses heavily on the "Overload" mechanic. Cheap cards with powerful effects that reduce your total mana on the next turn rather than the turn you played it. 

The Warrior focuses on having it's minions gain abilities after being dealt damage. Similar to the fury system in the MMO. Not much is revealed of him though.

You can play any class at any time, and use the same pulled copies of cards in every deck.

Note all decks have secrets but they all have their own consistent mana cost to keep them hard to guess. All I can remember right now is that hunter is 2 and mage has more powerful secrets at the cost of 3. 

This is all the abilities we know so far: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Abilities

There is absolutely fucking nothing stale about this. This is the exact opposite of stale. 

I would like to point out that I did have that caveat cop-out ready in place where I implied I may have misunderstood what Hearthstone is. 

I stand by statement of HEX though. I can understand it being "this is MTGO but this is not MTGO" but in general it is pretty stale. 

I still hate the idea of random booster packs. Card games, like these, shouldn't be encouraging that sort of gambling and it gives way to abuses of power (see: Yu-Gi-Oh). I don't understand whats wrong with just having a non-random selection of upgrade packs. 

Anyway, both of these games still come off to me like MTG: + Novelty. Hearthstone admittedly fixes some glaring flaws, such as lands but in reality it doesn't add anything past novelty. There's new real new game play asides a few neat tricks you couldn't do with a real game. 

You'll enjoy both of these games if you enjoy MTG but you'll most likely be bored to death otherwise. 

The only thing Hearthstone and MTG have in common is mana. If you think they're the same thing then you didn't read my post. Sorry it doesn't have three zeros at the end of every attack and health stat I guess?  It's closer to the WoW TCG if anything. 

And why do you hate booster packs? There isn't a single card game in the world that doesn't have them. I mean Vanguard has it too. I don't get what you're saying. Non random selection of packs? Obviously this is the first set of both games. They're clearly not going to throw every card into just 1 pack. HEX itself already has 3 expansions planned. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts

Btw, paying $20 on the HEX kickstarter will get you alpha access now that they passed the 1.8 mil goal.   That'll probably be sometimes July rather than September which is beta (a thing you also need to pledge to get guarenteed access to). Of course it also has the 2 starter decks and 10 packs too. Around 24 hours left to pledge. Might as well pay $20 if you just want to try the game. If you want to go all the way though, the $120 deal is pretty great. 300 packs is more than enough for the first expansion(400 cards). You should be able to make any deck you want and have plenty left over to trade to other players when the second expansion comes. Packs usually retail for $2 but you're getting each one for 40 cents. 

some new trailer thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvymobgRQ-M

The only thing Hearthstone and MTG have in common is mana. If you think they're the same thing then you didn't read my post. Sorry it doesn't have three zeros at the end of every attack and health stat I guess?  It's closer to the WoW TCG if anything. 

But WoW is already incredibly close to MTG. WoW was MTG with a Hero, Factions instead of Colors and better Mana. Hardly an innovation. They're also advertising these as card games despite the fact that they do things that card games can't do which means they are in actual fact a turn-based strategy video-game using cards as icons. The other matter is that this whole woop this card changes, is an example of a novelty, nothing more, it will wear off.

And why do you hate booster packs? There isn't a single card game in the world that doesn't have them. I mean Vanguard has it too. I don't get what you're saying.

Do your research: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=14 (additionally, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum )

Btw, paying $20 on the HEX kickstarter will get you alpha access now that they passed the 1.8 mil goal.   That'll probably be sometimes July rather than September which is beta (a thing you also need to pledge to get access to). Of course it also has the 2 starter decks and 10 packs too. Around 24 hours left to pledge. Might as well pay $20 if you just want to try the game. If you want to go all the way though, the $120 deal is pretty great. 300 packs is more than enough for the first expansion(400 cards). You should be able to make any deck you want. Pack usually retail for $2 but you're getting each one less than 50 cents. 

Wait, they're asking you to pay $20 to Alpha/Beta Test their game? Isn't HEX supposed to be F2P? That's just cruel. 

You spend so much time complaining about Hearthstone, but you don't take the time to watch one single video of gameplay. That's pretty annoying. Can't really expect much from someone who hasn't given up on Vanguard's lack of competitive play though. 

and are you still not reading my posts? "Of course it also has the 2 starter decks and 10 packs too." 

The entire point of kickstarter for companies like Crypto and Double Fine is to test the consumer demand of their game. HEX isn't asking you to fund their game for them, it's just asking if you are interested in it. Why shouldn't I get beta access for voting for their game? For the "just cruel" part, do you not play online games? Closed beta is never open to everyone. You usually have to spend your entire day fishing around sites for beta keys. Both games will force you to do that too. They want to use weaker and cheaper servers for testing and because of this they can't handle everyone. They still want player feedback though. That's why closed betas exist. 

You want card games to be without packs entirely? You want to instantly have access to every card with one purchase? These  games aren't duels of the planeswalkers. You need to stop being ignorant and looking at them as if they were video games. These are card games, just without the paper. In addition, this LCG thing  you linked me can't be compared to YGO/MTG/CFV/WoW/etc.  Unlike the listed, LCG aren't built for competition. Tournaments won't be hosted over them. They're just casual games you play with close friends. It's not even a good concept either. One new set every month? So I'm spending $40(Edit: $30 per month, my bad. Though there are mini expansions that are $10 too) a month on this? But no, I don't HAVE to buy new sets because it's just casual crap. 

You spend so much time complaining about Hearthstone, but you don't take the time to watch one single video of gameplay

Unverified statement. I never said I didn't and you have no way to prove if I did or not.

Can't really expect much from someone who hasn't given up on Vanguard's lack of competitive play though. 

Ad Hominem. 

Why shouldn't I get beta access for voting for their game?

I never said that you shouldn't. I said paying for it is cruel. Beta Testing is the act of the company letting the player enjoy the product earlier in exchange for feedback. Getting players to pay for beta testing, is getting players paying to work for you! It's twisted.

Tournaments won't be hosted over them.

Except, you know, they are;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOBAQOa4MsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn5EQeLwyIg

It's not even a good concept either. One new set every month? So I'm spending $40 a month on this? But no, I don't HAVE to buy new sets because it's just casual crap. 

Expansion Packs, which is a non-random booster pack, is released every month and costs between $10-$20 with usual 60 cards (3 copies of 20 individual cards) and is more than enough for an individual deck along with some extra.* I believe Core Sets cost $40, have an incredible amount of cards, like 4 decks easily and are released every six months. Complete set of cards, with no random-chance or rarity bullshit tied in for the cost of 4-8 Boosters pack and roughly the same amount of cards, sometimes more, all usually useful rather than straight rubbish cards that exist in every TCG? LCGs are easily the cheaper choice.

(*The example I'm using is Android: Netrunner but I believe it is very common throughout the genre). 

Please stop spouting things as if they were a fact, especially that which are demonstrably false.

Oh. This is going to be a regular ThreeDimension argument. Waste of my time then.

Anyways, I'm sure more people on this site will be interested when HEX is closer to completion. Having a DGZ guild could be fun. 

A lot of my MTG friends have been talking about this game. It looks like a cool concept, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'm hoping it'll be more like a TCG (strategy based) rather than like an MMO (grind for the best stuff). I'll probably give it a try when it comes out.

I hate the fundamental game design, this is too close to your typical M:TG clone for comfort.

I do like some of the ideas behind it, especially this one

SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card- SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card

Overall though, I'm very pessimistic of the final result of the game. Digital Booster Packs? Just groan. It in all honestly seems to me like M:TG #65483473 and some novelties that'll probably wear off. 
can you name three remotely well known "mtg clones"? what do you consider an "mtg clone"? a good and well-run trading card game?

Both games are bullshit anyway (if I understand correctly about what hearthstone is)
glad you wait until you're fully informed to make an argument about a subject!

I do like some of the ideas behind it, especially this one

SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card- SOCKETED CARDS! Put gems into cards to customize how they play with the first ever sandbox TCG, you can design the card

can you name three remotely well known "mtg clones"? what do you consider an "mtg clone"? a good and well-run trading card game?

Being well-known has absolutely nothing to do with it at all. Shadow Era & World of Warcraft TCG are incredibly similar if you need good examples. You also have Duel Masters, Z/X Zillions of Enemies X, Kaijudo and Battle Spirits which did little to improve on it.

You're probably delusional if you consider HEX anything other than MTG with some novelty. An MTG clone is the basic Mana, Battle, Events with like no innovation to it at all. Basically all current online-only card games follow this pattern very close, It has gotten to the point where I (and probably many other) players can predict how to play the game and it is really just making the industry stale.

On a side-note, I wouldn't consider MTG a good game, it has a number of fundamental flaws, the biggest being Land which

1) Requires every Player to fill their deck with about 20 or so filler cards

2) *Only has the inherent purpose of giving mana; Which means Players can only do 1 thing and 1 thing only with it which takes away from Player choice

3) Also because of its inherent single purpose, drawing land is an instant -1 because again no choice.

(If you say compare this to Duel Masters, where Mana is a secondary purpose of Creature/Events, each time you play a card in the Mana Zone, you are making a risk commitment of not being able to use that card again increasing player choice which increases tactical play, something land really doesn't do).

*Card Design has gotten around this slightly with Land's that have additional effects but that doesn't stop the fundamental idea being broken, it is simply a band-aid solution.

(MTG is run rather well though admittedly)

If you want to play HEX, I have no problem, If you want to sit there and go on and on to me about how great/innovating this is, you can take your delusional self elsewhere. (Admittedly, it does look like a well-built program and it will appeal to MTG fans easily).

Both games are bullshit anyway (if I understand correctly about what hearthstone is)
glad you wait until you're fully informed to make an argument about a subject!

My main beef with is HEX, partially because of the absolutely obnoxious Kickstarter video about how it is the first MMOTCG (news for you, it is not) and secondly how it is so innovative (delusional).

Hearthstone I'm giving more leniency to. 

Heartstone isn't an MMO TCG. It's just a digital TCG. HEX is the first MMO TCG. You will not find another game that describes itself as an MMO TCG and has the same setup to HEX.

HEX is incredibly innovative. It's an entirely new genre and fully takes advantage of the "digital only" media with features that no other card game could do. 

Also, it sounds like you just like bad TCGs.

"On a side-note, I wouldn't consider MTG a good game, it has a number of fundamental flaws, the biggest being Land which

1) Requires every Player to fill their deck with about 20 or so filler cards

2) *Only has the inherent purpose of giving mana; Which means Players can only do 1 thing and 1 thing only with it which takes away from Player choice

3) Also because of its inherent single purpose, drawing land is an instant -1 because again no choice."

You have to be joking. I can make this argument of any card-type in any game.

1. Monsters in yugioh require to fill their deck with about 20 or so filler cards

2. Only has the inherent purpose of attacking; Which means Players can only do 1 thing and 1 thing only with it which takes away from Player choice

3. Also because of its inherent single purpose, drawing a monster is an instant -1 because again no choice.

You'll probably comment along the lines of "But monsters can do a lot more than just attack... and drawing them isn't a -1 at all!" ... and that's also the case in MTG. We also have this cool thing called a mulligan; you might have heard of it.

wow, now i understand why cromat got so mad when this 3dimension guy got moderoid

Heartstone isn't an MMO TCG. It's just a digital TCG. HEX is the first MMO TCG. You will not find another game that describes itself as an MMO TCG and has the same setup to HEX.

HEX is incredibly innovative. It's an entirely new genre and fully takes advantage of the "digital only" media with features that no other card game could do. 

I'm not going to further any debate about MTG because that isn't what this is about.

Sword Girls Online & Heroes of the Realm are examples of MMO TCGs that already exist with all that Dungeon-Crawling additions. There is a multitude of them out there, mainly pretty mehtastic ones floating around as facebook mini games. I could admit that HEX might do it better but HEX did not do it first. Check out boardgamegeek.com if you want to look for more. What do HEX even mean by MMO TCG? Like I picked examples that have dungeon crawling and all that but technically by definition, any online multi-player TCG is a MMO TCG.

Also a game is defined by its rules, its limitations. Once cards in a card game start doing things a card can't do, it essentially stops being a card game. This also suggests that if I took any video-game and made all of the icons cards, then that it is a digital card-game despite not playing anything like one. 

There's also still the fact that the base game of this is a 98% clone of MTG, so despite liking it or not, it isn't innovative at all in that respect. 

The only thing new it has going for it are those strange card effects and they really just come off as gimmicky to me. I'm not like going to stop anyone from playing it or anything but it needs to do more than that to entice me.

I'm not going to further any debate about MTG because that isn't what this is about.

Sword Girls Online & Heroes of the Realm are examples of MMO TCGs that already exist with all that Dungeon-Crawling additions. There is a multitude of them out there, mainly pretty mehtastic ones floating around as facebook mini games. I could admit that HEX might do it better but HEX did not do it first. Check out boardgamegeek.com if you want to look for more. What do HEX even mean by MMO TCG? Like I picked examples that have dungeon crawling and all that but technically by definition, any online multi-player TCG is a MMO TCG.

Also a game is defined by its rules, its limitations. Once cards in a card game start doing things a card can't do, it essentially stops being a card game. This also suggests that if I took any video-game and made all of the icons cards, then that it is a digital card-game despite not playing anything like one. 

There's also still the fact that the base game of this is a 98% clone of MTG, so despite liking it or not, it isn't innovative at all in that respect. 

The only thing new it has going for it are those strange card effects and they really just come off as gimmicky to me. I'm not like going to stop anyone from playing it or anything but it needs to do more than that to entice me.

ook

Are you going to actually argue with me properly or are you just going reply with more dismissive bullshit?

What makes HEX an MMO TCG? (Doesn't MMO actually mean Massively Multiplayer Online, making any online multiplayer card game one, which of many exist such as Shadow Era)?

What makes HEX any different than Sword Girls Online or Legacy of Heroes in regards to the MMO (presumably RPG?) Part?

Why does HEX qualify as a card game when it has cards that do things that cards can'T actually do (therefore making those card-based icons rather than cards themselves)?

Once cards in a card game start doing things a card can't do, it essentially stops being a card game.

actually can't tell if you're being serious

you don't know anything about game design or basically anything

you're wrong about basically everything you post about. no one wants to argue with you because it's an unconditionally unpleasant experience. no one cares that you took a high school philosophy class and you (think that you) know what the word "fallacy" means

"- The most aggressive ORGANIZED PLAY infrastructure ever offered for a digital TCG

With dozens of daily tournaments, on demand 8-player drafts and (potentially) REAL CASH prizes, HEX is poised to be the definitive professional online TCG.

Come tournament time, test your mettle in limited (sealed and booster) and constructed tournaments, where the winner is determined by skill and daring, not by PVE-enhanced cards."

i dunno man, the last game that tried this died pretty hard