Sign in to follow this  
Wild Caniac

Top 32 YCS New Jersey (Tin Gadgets)

Wild Caniac    421

Hey guys, Jay Quick here. On this board, I am AKA The Cunt Destroyer thanks to Mr. Dan Tate. I have been playing this game for a while now, but this was my first YCS top cut. I have had a lot of bad luck the previous formats, and also I have been unable to find a deck that I truly enjoy and can learn the ins and outs of the deck. I had not had a regional top since late 2010, and was kind of in a rut. Luckily, that changed this weekend. I had been unable to get my invite at a regional a few weeks before Jersey. I then decided that I would go to Jersey and attempt to get my invite if I did bad in the YCS by trying to win a 16 player flight WCQ. Shitty way to do so, I know, but I am happy it did not need to come to that. I enjoyed this event very much, and will never forget it. 

To start off, I drove up from North Carolina with one of my friends on here (mwnhydropump19). He is unable to drive, so I had to do the 8-9 hours there and then again on the way back. We pre-registered on Thursday and then headed to Manhattan. It was an unbelievable experience, and the culture I witnessed there is uncomparable. I saw a naked golden lady, a dude in just underwear and a guitar, and a kid driving a mini jeep through the city blaring rap music in the custom speakers. We walked from 34th all the way to Nintendo World in Rockefeller Plaza on 49th, which took forever. We also went to the NHL store and a Champs. We then took the subway back to 34th and took the train back to Secaucus. The next day we got to the event and my journey began. I may not remember some results that well, as my memory became pretty fuzzy the later in the tournament I went. I'll just list the basics.

Round 1 vs Tyler Yepez (Samurai)

So he won the die roll and opened Kageki and Hand with 2-3 backrow. I opened either a Gearframe and got rid of Hand. He switched Kageki to defense and had to hide for a few turns until i finally got rid of it with a GGX. He didn't draw well and i won. Game 2 was pretty much the same. He opened like 1 monster and I opened Goldfish+Gadget. I won within 10 minutes, and i'm not sure what exactly happened with my opponent's deck. 

Round 2 vs James Murphy (Dino Fist)

I believe he won the die roll. This was definitely the luckiest match I had all tournament. Game 1 was pretty simple, as I went into GGX early, and controlled most of the game. He got a few hits in with his normals, but didn't have enough protection to stop my advantage. Game 2 I opened kind of bad, and he opened DDV. I lost over half of my hand and lost. Game 3 was ridiculous. I opened Heavy Storm, Dark Hole, Limiter Removal, Mirror Force, Machina Fortress, and Machina Cannon. I set Heavy and Force. He ran Sabersaurus into Force and set 2. I drew a 2nd Fortress. Wow. I get the pro Heavy, go Fortress for Fortress, Cannon for Fortress, and Limter for game. He was amazed, shocked, and mad, but more surprised than anything and just wished me luck the rest of the day. 

Round 3 vs Adrian Montalvo (Samurai)

I believe he won the die roll. So I play against Samurai again, and again my opponent did not god hand me. I opened Gearframe and got Fortress. I got a hit in with Gearframe and had a couple backrow. I don't remember too much about this match, but it was somewhat closer. This guy actually got a Shi En out, but I took it with Big Eye in game 1 to win the game. Game 2 he opens okay, but I have Gadget advantage and take over the match. 

Round 4 vs Brandon Howard (Mermail)

I won the die roll. This was the first Water matchup for the day, and I was not too excited about it. Game 1 he opened Diva+Megalo so I was behind most of the game. In game 2, I had Macro, but he had Imperial Iron Wall. I was not pleased. Luckily it did not cost me the game, as I was able to play Fortress mid game and take over. He never got going even with IIW on the board, due to my other backrows of Bottomless and Fiendish Chain. Game 3 I opened terrible. He opened decent, and slow beat me down. I got Macro off, but by the time I did, I was too far behind to recover. I was somewhat sad, but knew I wasn't going to go undefeated. 

Round 5 vs Miguel Molina (Mermail)

I won the die roll. This was an interesting match due to the cards that my opponent sided against me. In game 1 I finally started going off with Ultimate Offering. Unfortunately he had Maxx "C". I was able to only make him draw 3 card and attempt to go for game, but hehad Gorz for my push of Emeral, Fortress, and a Gearframe. He was at 6600 when I went for game. I was able to protect my field with Mirror Force for his Gorz and win the game. Game 2 was odd. He goes first and sets a backrow, probably Sphere. I opened Dyna and Macro. I get in a Dyna attack, he then sets a dude. I summon Red, get Yellow, and then attack into his set monster....Fossil Dyna. I'm like LOL. So anyway, I had to actually go Yellow next turn to get Green, then Green to kill the damn Dyna the following turn. He got a Marksman over my Yellow the turn before I summoned and Green, but couldn't summon Dragoons due to his Dyna. We then go back and forth a bit, but he can't play most of his hand due to Macro, and I start gaining advantage with GGX and wore him down after a few GGX attacks. 

Round 6 vs Edwin Sorto (Inzektor)

I lost the die roll. He set 3 and passes. I assume it's Infernity. I summon Green, get Red, and get an attack in. He had Armageddon and send Hornet. I couldn't get over Armageddon next turn because I believe he Fiendish Chain'd my GGX or Gearframe. He summons Ladybug with 2 in hand. I decided to Torrential because I'm at 8000, and knew I could win next turn with the hand I have. One of those 2 cards is unfortunately DAD. I take the 2800, but I rip Dark Hole and summon Fortress for game, that I either opened or drew. Game 2 I opened double Mind Crush, which unfortunately don't help along with my bad hand. He slowly gains advantage. I had 4 backrow and a GGX that has a Chain and he has a 2nd backrow. He decides to play Heavy and I chain both Mind Crush to call Dragonfly and Sword, but I only kill sword and he had Foolish+Centipede. Game 3 I open god. I set Offering and a couple other backrows. He summons Card Car D, draw2 and ends with an open field. Due to me having a Gadget in hand, I win the game after makng Shock Master and Emeral, then summoning a few more Gadgets. 

Round 7 vs Nathan Girdberry (Tin Gadget)

I lost the die roll. He opens well with Gear Gigant and Offering after turn 2. I have a bunch of protection to slow him down after he runs through a bunch of summons. I then use his Offering to do my own shenanigans, but he has Torrential when I summon Emeral. We end up both having almost no advantage, but I rip Gearframe and precede to win late. Game 2 I open okay, but he opens better. I was at 8000 on my sheet, but I lose. No clue how. Game 3 goes forever as well. It was a very passive game, but truly the closest game of the tourney. I am at 900 to his 700 when I make Blackship for game killing one of his dudes. No clue on details of how it got so far down, but it was very close, and I enjoyed playing him.

After this round, I was 6-1, and feeling like this was going to be my day. My ideas were confirmed in round 8.

Round 8 vs Robert Palermo (Dino Fist)

He wins the die roll and goes Tenki into Bear, Tensu into Gorilla, set 2 pass. He basically goes balls out, and I slowly get through with Gadgets and protection. I Mirror Force his attacks the next turn, and precede to take control as he is out of cards due to his aggressiveness. Game 2 is in is favor most of the match. Late game he draws Tour Guide, which I hit with Breakthrough Skill. Unfortunately, he got 3 attacks in with Tour Guide to put my at 50, and I just never had enough advantage to come back. Game 3 was the dagger. I am getting beat down by Gorilla and other cards. I also had some bad luck, as when he started to gain control. my chair literally fucking broke. I fell down, got up, and stared at Gorilla, Gorilla, Bear, Bear, Tenki, Tensu. What do I do? Well. I get down to 25. He makes Emeral, gets Warwolf, makes Shock Master, and calls....Monster Effects. He knew I had Fortress in hand, but I had Dark Hole next turn that I had held for a few turns. He was very upset. I then got Offering off. I get down to 1000 and end with Fortress and Yellow, and he is at 1500 with 1 in hand. He draws Sabersaurus. He attacks into Yellow, I chain Mirror Force. He chains Lance, and i'm like, Sabersaurus is still gonna die. He shakes his head in frustration and offers the handshake. He was visibly upset, and understandably so.

Round 9 vs Andrew Fredella (Mermail)

I lost the die roll. I recognized his name from previous SJC's. I got a little nervous, but stayed calm and just played my game, knowing I need to win this match. I was unable to do that due to things out of my control. He had Dewloren, def Abyssteus, Abyssmegalo, and Abyssleed. I have Fortress, and dead Chain on board, with Reborn in hand. I was deciding what dude to kill to take with Reborn, when I get a slow play warning from a randy judge who I assume wanted to show his power. Fredella believed I wasn't slow playing, and knew my plans. I finally kill Abyssteus, Reborn is, Big Eye his Dewloren, reset Chain, but he had game regardless due to Abyssleed and 4 other cards in hand. He was able to make a Big Eye, take my Big Eye, and take his Dewloren back. We got to game 2, and I am paranoid as shit. We go back and forth forever, but I am way behind. Late game, it's 26 to 36 him, he has 1 in hand with Abyssgaios. I have Gearframe, and a gadget. I think I have a fortress in grave, but it's kind of irrelevant at the time. I draw Prison. I decide to set it and pass, hoping he doesn't have MST or another dude for game. He just attacks, which is exactly what I wanted, so I chained Prison. He then passed, I can't remember if he set a backrow or not. I got Gearframe into Fortress, and discarded him and the Gadget to summon him, or I discarded both to get Fortress for game. I couldn't get Cannon because I sided it out. We go to game 3, he opens a set backrow and passes. I open Dyna, Macro, a Gadget, Chain, Bottomless, and Judgment. I basically have everything. I summon Dyna, he thinks a bit, and lets it go. I then summon a gadget next turn after he sets a dude, and lose it to Torrential. I guess he didn't want to waste the Torrential so early on Dyna, so it worked in his favor, but he pretty much cant come back due to Macro. I believe he finally killed it with MST, but I had another Macro by the time he drew it. I slowly killed his turn by turn set dudes and win. I played worse in this match that any other in the tournament, and I'm sure Fredella was not happy that he lost to me. However, I helped his tiebreakers and he got top 4, so I think we should be cool. 

So i was 8-1 after day 1, and 17th. I could not sleep much Saturday night, due to the amount of texts and FB messages from friends and haters. My friend and I go back to the hotel and watch the end of the two hockey games. I wake up the next day and see I have to play Patrick Hoban.

Round 10 vs Patrick Hoban (Infernity)

I won the die roll. Now, I have know Patrick for a long time. We used to hang out at NC events a few years ago before he moved to Georgia and became the great player he is today. Fortunately for me, I opened well game 1, and knew a lot of strategies on how to play against Infernity due to help from my friend. Hoban did not open too well, as the only xyz he made I believe was Lavaval Chain. I had advantage up the ass, and slowly take the game. Game 2 was normal Infernity shenanigans. I don't believe he opened too well, as he had to summon an Archfiend off Street Patrol with 4 in hand, but he turned his hand into Archfiend, 2 Lavaval Chain, 2 Barrier, and 2 other backrow. I open double Dyna, Macro, Heavy, Dark Hole, and maybe a Gadget or Gearframe. I use Heavy and Dark Hole to waste his barriers, set Macro and Dyna and pass. I play Macro on Standby. He makes DD Wolf and kills Macro. I think I am okay, but he makes a 2nd DD Wolf to kill my set dyna for game. Game 3, I open Dyna and Macro again, with one other backrow. He thinks a bit, and plays Heavy. I immediately think I am fucked. However, he drew terrible and had to play Infernity Randomizer. He set 2, drew Bottomless off Randomizer and passed. I just slowly run him over with Dyna, and win from there. I don't remember most of the details of how I took over, but it was heavily due to Dyna and advantage in the form of Gearframs and Gadgets. Patrick should have a more detailed game in his report. He tells me congrats on the top, but I assume nothing at 9-1, due to being determined and in the zone to win and finish 10-1.

Round 11 vs Angelo Mendoza [Arch_Angelo on DGZ] (Offering Gadget)

I don't remember who won the die roll, but I think I did. Angelo probably knows, and should mention in his report if he makes one. He opens okay, but I opened better. I either make Goldfish+Gadget into GGX, or Gearframe, then Gadget. No clue on how it happened. He hangs around in the game a while, by making Maestroke. I know he has 2 or 3 backrow when I had either a Gadget/Gearframe on board, or went Goldfish+Gadget into Corn. I made Corn because I didn't want to attack into Prison with a GGX for more advantage. I felt Corn was the better choice, and it was. Game 2 did not last long. I opened 5 dudes and a Mind Crush. He goes Yellow into Green. I go Red into Yellow, kill Yellow, set MC. I use it on Green, see Cyber, 2 lance, and Trag. I think he had something else, because he ran a Gadget into my dude, and summoned Trag to kill my Gadget. Due to the amount of monster I had, I was able to get more advantage through a Goldfish+Gadget into a GGX. I later went into double Fortress for game with the GGX on field. I believe this was the match where I resolved my one Starlight Road of the tourney.

So I go 10-1, and finish 5th in swiss. I was truly amazed by how I did. It was a wonderful run, and I was hoping it would continue, and maybe even lead me to victory. Unfortunately, fate had other ideas. On Saturday, I wore my #10 RG3 jersey. On Sunday I wore my Minnesota Wild #10 Marian Gaborik T shirt. I guess I was only allowed to win 10 matches.

Top 32 vs Raymond Bauzon (Dino Fist)

I lose the die roll with snake eyes. He goes Warwolf into 2 or 3 backrow and passed. The only dudes i drew were Gale and Cannon. I could not recover or draw well. as I lost under a unusable Fiendish and 2 MST. Game 2 I open okay, and go all in mid game with double Fortress into his Bear and 1 backrow. He must not have opened well. Game 3 however, he opened the nuts and I had no shot. He goes Rabbit into Laggia, then next turn follows it up with Thunder King. This game did not last long, and I lost swiftly. I was not upset, I was content, and wished Raymond luck. He was very professional in our match.

So I get my mat, and do some deck profiles. I then head home Sunday night. 10 minutes before I got to my friends house, I end up killing a possum. He misplayed by stopping when I swerved a bit, and fell to a sad, sad death. It was the 2nd craziest thing that occurred during my drive, as an hour into our drive on the way up, a piece of debris fell off a tractor trailer going at least 60 mph and headed into my card windshield. Life flashed a bit before my eyes, but the sound it made was weak, and just funny. I really enjoyed being at this event, and will never forget it.

Props:

Security. Good fucking idea with the wristbands and the bag bands.

MVP Mirror Force

Top 32

Getting my invite the best way

Machina Gearframe

Tyree winning YCS number 2

Hoban topping

Blackwing - Gale The Whirlwind being in my main causing a shitstorm on facebook

Eating Popeye's twice in the weekend, I don't go much in NC

Slops:

Not making many trades

LVP Black Rose Dragon, never made it

Toll booths

Not getting to either authentic NY Pizza or take out Chinese

Losing to the weakest Mermail player of the 3 I played

Asshole judge who gave me the slow play

Double Summon is kind of bad

Hope you guys enjoy the report. Here is my profile with Wilson Tsang, where I go into detail on my card choices. I also did one with Jarel, but I don't know if he will post it. He was furious that I chose not to run a 3rd MST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2BrcEIpXLY

Decklist

3 Machina Gearframe

3 Machina Fortress

3 Tin Goldfish

2 Yellow Gadget

2 Red Gadget

2 Green Gadget

1 Machina Cannon

1 Cardcar D

1 Blackwing - Gale The Whirlwind

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Pot Of Duality

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Monster Reborn

1 Limiter Removal

1 Book Of Moon

2 Mirror Force

2 Torrential Tribute

2 Bottomless Trap Hole

2 Dimensional Prison

2 Fiendish Chain

1 Ultimate Offering

1 Solemn Warning

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Starlight Road

2 Gear Gigant X

1 Number 11: BIg Eye

1 Number 16: Shock Master

1 Number 39: Utopia

1 Number 50: Blackship of Corn

1 Abyss Dweller

1 Daigusto Emeral

1 Gem-Knight Pearl

1 Gagaga Cowboy

1 Maestroke The Symphony Djinn

1 Stardust Dragon

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

18-9-14-15-15

• Upvote 17

G Λ r Ω N    5934

Good job Jay, and thanks for swapping my Tempest!

• Upvote 1

Wild Caniac    421

Yes. I was unaware of the rule change. I have a SDP copy, that says "A player may..." I did not do so with malicious intent, and was made aware of the mistake about 10 minutes ago. Hell, I even mentioned it in the deck profile, and Wilson didn't tell me I was wrong there either. I'm sure many people know the rule change, but I guess my opponent and I did not.

-L2theZ-    1611
You've come quite a ways from asking me if Sangan was worth playing 7 years ago.
  • Upvote 7

Wild Caniac    421

You've come quite a ways from asking me if Sangan was worth playing 7 years ago.

That just made my day, LOL. But yes, I guess I have. Thanks.

iDisputez    175

How did I not see you this weekend? Really good job man. Hope to see you at nats!

Wild Caniac    421

I hope to see you too man. I completely forgot what you looked like, so that's probably why.

EddyEd    7
Congrats on the top. I played you round six. I could of fought back if it wasn't for the offering. Good meeting you. It was a pleasure.

Wild Caniac    421

Nice to meet you. You were genuinely nice, and I appreciate that. And yes, I knew once you played Cardcar I was going to win lol. That was the most I did with Offering all weekend.

mwnhydropump19    169

I think your funniest match was round 8 vs fire fist lol. he has 4 fire fist guy on board and he ends. You drew your card and your chain broke in half! After ROFLing for a min i had to give you my chair because yours was screwed. I took your smashed chair to a judge. I come back to watch and you have control and he summons a dino to kill your yellow. You lance dino and you won! i was like wtf happened to all the fire fist monsters!

• Upvote 2

Axelerator    107

That mind crush was soooooo clutch!! i wouldve had game that turn if you didnt hit the green ;[ damn lol

NetRepTodd    202

GJ Cunt Destroyer.  Srsly though jay, good stuff.  I'd tell you good job in person at the charlotte regs this weekend, but unfortunately I can't go.  gotta work :/

Matt Bishop    2377
Gj thought the name sounded familiar kind of upset that I didn't get to say hello now. See you at nats?

Wild Caniac    421
Yeah man, see you there. Congrats on your top as well.

Also, thanks Todd and Ben. :)

Jordan123    1536

Can you give me a basic of what you side in/out for matches. My Nationals (UK) is saturday and I plan to play this build since it seems solid. Plan to get a YCS and National top using gadget :).

Wild Caniac    421
The main stuff i sided out were 1 ofs, such as Road, Gale, Cardcar, and Cannon. I know I mention in the video certain matchups that I side cards in for. What you side out is totally up to you.