Pharaoh Atem

Translation HQ - Shadow Specters

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Kit = Baby Raccoon. Blame Azrael.

I don't know why the alliteration needs to be forced on Survival Strife, just call it Survival of the Fittest.

Atem hates Survival of the Fittest for some personal reason he can explain.

»Pharaoh Atem    15751

Judge Buster and Judge Devil, I really prefer Judge Buster Djinn and Judge Doom without the Adjudicutting pun. It cuts out their title which is how it's usually done to my knowledge, the only weird thing here is that Judge Buster has Djinn as part of his title which does need to kept how, but the alliteration of the J sound in Judge Buster Djinn sounds good to me, the name sort of flows. I also really like Judge Dread over Judge Doom.

For the new Risebell I like Star Awakener as opposed to Waker

Duplicitous starts with D but it doesn't actually have any alliteration of Druid because of starting with the hard D sound, but there are a plethora of good words to use and starting with D at least gives some direction to pick one I suppose. I like the word Devious because of duplicitous overlapping with Pot of Duplicity.

I don't know why the alliteration needs to be forced on Survival Strife, just call it Survival of the Fittest.

I'm not sure what what Tanukit is from but it could also be Tanukid.

Was there a reason for the odd spelling on Gryphin?

Judge Dread is too close to Judge Dredd, so I can't do that. I'll consider cutting the pun.

Devious may be good.

Survival of the Fittest is a social darwinist's maxim, not how biology works - biology doesn't trifle with silly self-aggrandizing notions of Fitness like humans do. The card aims less at "dog-eat-dog" and more at "the notion of fighting to survive". Competition in biology isn't as personal - or even as confrontational, or as necessarily harmful to one party, as it is in human actions.

A kit is a little raccoon/tanuki.

Gryphon + Kalinin = Gryphin. Griffin is not usable thanks to a kana issue.

-Enzio-    116

Kit = Baby Raccoon. Blame Azrael.

Atem hates Survival of the Fittest for some personal reason he can explain.

Kit is great then. I like it.

As for that, it is almost 100% certainly going to be localized as Survival of the Fittest. Even if the original meaning of it is different than how the phrase is generally used, the meaning of words evolves with their use. If it absolutely positively can not be Survival of the Fittest, I would go with Fight for Survival which is also a recognizable and memorable phrase, and skip out on the alliteration. It doesn't always need to be forced.

One thing about Tanukit. It works great because it still has "Tanuki" in it, but it doesn't work for Number 64. It makes it so it doesn't have the archetype name in the card name. Tanuki isn't an archetype in the real game, but it is in the anime. Is there any way to rectify this?

~NeoArkadia~    2794

Survival of the Fittest is a social darwinist's maxim, not how biology works - biology doesn't trifle with silly self-aggrandizing notions of Fitness like humans do. The card aims less at "dog-eat-dog" and more at "the notion of fighting to survive". Competition in biology isn't as personal - or even as confrontational, or as necessarily harmful to one party, as it is in human actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest
"Survival of the fittest" is a phrase originating in evolutionary theory, as an alternative description of natural selection. The phrase is today commonly used in contexts that are incompatible with the original meaning as intended by its first two proponents: British polymath philosopher Herbert Spencer (who coined the term) and Charles Darwin.

Most people seeing Survival of the Fittest are just going to think animals fighting for supremacy, sir.

»Pharaoh Atem    15751

Changing to The Fight for Survival.

»Pharaoh Atem    15751

One thing about Tanukit. It works great because it still has "Tanuki" in it, but it doesn't work for Number 64. It makes it so it doesn't have the archetype name in the card name. Tanuki isn't an archetype in the real game, but it is in the anime. Is there any way to rectify this?

Sandayu the Vetanuki

"Tanuki" works as an archetype for anime files

We smacked "Veteraccoon" across the face when "Vetanuki" came up as a suggestion a while back

»Pharaoh Atem    15751

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest
"Survival of the fittest" is a phrase originating in evolutionary theory, as an alternative description of natural selection. The phrase is today commonly used in contexts that are incompatible with the original meaning as intended by its first two proponents: British polymath philosopher Herbert Spencer (who coined the term) and Charles Darwin.

Most people seeing Survival of the Fittest are just going to think animals fighting for supremacy, sir.

And the card isn't aiming for animals to fight for supremacy as we understand it, there's the cruncher - they're just fighting to live, which sometimes involves killing other creatures (which Tyrannosaurs are good at), sometimes involves scavenging rather than killing your own meal (as Tyrannosaurs did pretty often, and Ultimate Tyranno is nothing if not a Tyrannosaur), and sometimes involves adjusting to adverse conditions (check out the weather in the art: Ultimate Tyranno may have been alive to see the Cretaceous-Paleogene event, and if so, shit would get WRECKED rather quick in its life).

Supremacy is a mere portion, a slice, of the pie of life. The card seems to be about the whole pie getting wrecked: "you'd better be ready to work to stay alive, because we just had an extinction-level event!"

Kahu    2418

Of course, Ultimate Tyranno's been coined "Ultimate" for a reason, and the thing it was killing is Black Tyranno, which was the supreme dino until Ultimate came along.